Tourist Police Volunteer

jvs

I am quite happy to know that the ones being the most vocal against the TPV are not themselves TPV. A common theme seems to be anger management problems.

Why would someone with a poor opinion of the TPV want to become one? Personally, I prefer to steer as clear of them as possible.

OK, if you don't want my help thats OK, deal with the BiB yourself. Sure a happy ending. smile.png

how do you communicate with the BIB, private messaging?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe if they just removed the word "Police" all would be well.

I think it would certainly help, and would discourage weirdos and wannabe cops from joining.

I worked for a total of 6 years as a TPV and police translator - in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya, including many years working at Phuket Airport.

I stopped working as a TPV for 2 reasons:

1 - I could never persuade my Thai superiors to help me to get a work permit, which is a legal requirement for any type of volunteer work. Their attitude was that they were 'above the law' and no WP was required.

2 - I no longer wanted to wear a uniform which associated me with an organisation that was riddled with corruption

I considered my task as a volunteer was to assist tourists, not to assist the Thai police. In some cases, my task was to protect the tourist from the Thai police...

So I became an 'independent' volunteer. I ditched my TPV uniform and printed a polo shirt with 'Tourist Assistance' on it. - no mention of police. I continue to assist tourists at the airport and my help is welcomed by the airport authorities. I do not think that my presence at the airport is welcomed by the Thai police...

Simon

Good post Simon, seems you were trying to get involved for all the right reasons..

But where you not sad when you have to give up your yellow Humvee with all the flashing lights on ?....biggrin.png ...only kidding

But where you not sad when you have to give up your yellow Humvee with all the flashing lights on

Oh but I still have that - but with Tourist Assistance stickers instead... smile.png

Simon,

Sounds like you were in it for the right reasons and no doubt the majority are also in it for the right reasons but unfortunately it's just the minority that let the team down.. But I think they should remove the police aspect of it because it's a childhood fantasy to dress up like a policeman, but how many would volunteer if they didn't have the "police" aspect of it, I'm guessing not many.

Given the high criminality rate amongst these volunteers compared to the general long stayer community, the whole situation need serious review.

I'm not saying there's no criminality amongst ex-pats, but if out of a small group of lets say 100 nationwide it's been proven that whilst in their positions as volunteers - 1 has been convicted of dealing heroin, 1 murdered his wife, 1 over indulges in pepperspay and 1 is a certifiable looney (plus all the others). Then this would far exceed the criminality of the general expat population 100 fold! and of course these are just the cases that have come to press attention!

I have also encountered the volunteers whilst minding my own business, and maybe it is just a Pattaya thing but they really do think they are some sort of special ops.. Which is not surprising given the huge number of ex- CIA,KGB,FBI,MI5,MI6, Navy Seals and SAS that seem to live in Pattaya.

I think the basic concept is a good one, but for some reason its attracts some real nut cases, and the blackshirts and jack boots dont help either

The ones that pretend to be customers and help bust Go-Go bars really bug me.

I really do have to agree with you, we have enough Thai's trying to have us over and we learn to live with that, but when one of our own helps them to do it then that really does bug me too.

I disagree, i think it's great that they have figured out an easy way to bust these greedy compassionless pimps!

But where you not sad when you have to give up your yellow Humvee with all the flashing lights on

Oh but I still have that - but with Tourist Assistance stickers instead... smile.png

Simon,

Sounds like you were in it for the right reasons and no doubt the majority are also in it for the right reasons but unfortunately it's just the minority that let the team down.. But I think they should remove the police aspect of it because it's a childhood fantasy to dress up like a policeman, but how many would volunteer if they didn't have the "police" aspect of it, I'm guessing not many.

Given the high criminality rate amongst these volunteers compared to the general long stayer community, the whole situation need serious review.

I'm not saying there's no criminality amongst ex-pats, but if out of a small group of lets say 100 nationwide it's been proven that whilst in their positions as volunteers - 1 has been convicted of dealing heroin, 1 murdered his wife, 1 over indulges in pepperspay and 1 is a certifiable looney (plus all the others). Then this would far exceed the criminality of the general expat population 100 fold! and of course these are just the cases that have come to press attention!

I have also encountered the volunteers whilst minding my own business, and maybe it is just a Pattaya thing but they really do think they are some sort of special ops.. Which is not surprising given the huge number of ex- CIA,KGB,FBI,MI5,MI6, Navy Seals and SAS that seem to live in Pattaya.

Nicely summed up, though i think the ex- CIA,KGB,FBI,MI5,MI6, Navy Seals and SAS in reality are FOS= full of $hitbiggrin.png

I personally know 1 ex(possibly still is ) KGB guy and rest assured he has no desires to be a police volunteer, its like asking manager to change jobs to be a cleaner

My personal opinion is that if the TPVs were replaced by 'Tourist Assistance' volunteers, who were not part of the Thai police organisation, and who did not carry police ID etc - then the number of foreigners offering to work as Tourist Assistance volunteers would be precisely 1 ==> myself!

I'm a cynical sort of chap and I do not believe that those who work as TPVs would be willing to do that work if the 'police' aspect were removed from their job title and job responsibilities.

In fact, I'd like to hear from those on this forum who are currently working as TPVs. Would you be willing to swap your police uniform and police ID for a Tourist Assistance Volunteer ID card, cap and polo shirt? (Sorry, no handcuffs, baton, taser or mace...)

Simon

• Like 2

My personal opinion is that if the TPVs were replaced by 'Tourist Assistance' volunteers, who were not part of the Thai police organisation, and who did not carry police ID etc - then the number of foreigners offering to work as Tourist Assistance volunteers would be precisely 1 ==> myself!

I'm a cynical sort of chap and I do not believe that those who work as TPVs would be willing to do that work if the 'police' aspect were removed from their job title and job responsibilities.

In fact, I'd like to hear from those on this forum who are currently working as TPVs. Would you be willing to swap your police uniform and police ID for a Tourist Assistance Volunteer ID card, cap and polo shirt? (Sorry, no handcuffs, baton, taser or mace...)

Simon

Im pretty sure most of them would not they like the contact with the Thai police and are often on a power trip. Others use it to be first on the place of crime scenes and profit from it with a newspaper.

Simon

Again an excellent post Simon...

Waiting with baited breath for the responses from current TPV's on your question

I agree very much with what Simon says here.

The TPV have been around for long enough to show that it's all been a big screw up.

Simply re-name them (and see how long they hang around once their perceived "status" is removed) to avoid such conflict of interests.

Should they then need to be used as a go between between a tourist and the police, then surely they could as they would still be providing the "Tourist Assistance" they claim they are really there for and leave the real policing to the professionals.

• Like 1

Not much chance of that happening ..........

There wouldnt be any "volunteers " if there wasnt the perks of the " job "

uniforms ,id cards ,police stickers for your car and motorbikes ,walkie talkies ,hand cuffs ,pepper spray

and an inflated sense of self importance .......

• Like 1

uniforms ,id cards ,police stickers for your car and motorbikes ,walkie talkies ,hand cuffs ,pepper spray

There are no perks. all the perks are self created in their own mind.

I can say i did see some Thai guys slap one of those volunteers on Walking Street a few weeks ago, the real police just stood there, watched and did absolutely nothing, despite volunteer in his 60's( mind you) kept looking over with the "puppy eyes" trying to get some reaction

Don't you think that there may be some people, like Simon, who may just enjoy helping folks without the stigma of being labelled a "wannabe", especially by one's pals?

Not many to be honest ,I think most of people attracted to the tourist police wouldnt be still there if they were more like the " girl guides "

police usually means authority /power and i think thats what a lot of these people crave .....

of course there will be some exceptions but probably like finding diamonds in coal

Don't you think that there may be some people, like Simon, who may just enjoy helping folks without the stigma of being labelled a "wannabe", especially by one's pals?

Not many to be honest ,I think most of people attracted to the tourist police wouldnt be still there if they were more like the " girl guides "

police usually means authority /power and i think thats what a lot of these people crave .....

of course there will be some exceptions but probably like finding diamonds in coal

I would do it, BUT only if i could take 2 of my dogs with me and dogs would also get the polo shirts with caps in their sizetongue.png

PS. the electric tuk tuk is a must as well

PPS. My boy(dog) needs to do something, as he is getting restless

Edited by phl

What sort of dog in his right mind drinks SKOL???

Does he have no taste?

My 2 dogs prefer Beer Chang!

well.... i would ask him, but he is a dog, so not expecting an answertongue.png

Does he have no taste?

You don't understand ''Wuff Wooof'' rolleyes.gif

There are no perks. all the perks are self created in their own mind.

I can say i did see some Thai guys slap one of those volunteers on Walking Street a few weeks ago, the real police just stood there, watched and did absolutely nothing, despite volunteer in his 60's( mind you) kept looking over with the "puppy eyes" trying to get some reaction

The real police AND the tourist police DON'T WANT THEM

Does he have no taste?

You don't understand ''Wuff Wooof'' rolleyes.gif

i do , just can not find the translationclap2.gif

• 3 months later...

Well, I had my fiest run in with the "tourist police". I was parked in Karon when a old Thai lady who didnt like that I parked on the street, where she felt it was her spot so she stole my motorcycle helmet (ling story, but it was obvious her in a spite action). Unable to get the helmet back I was forced to ride home without when some Farang in a uniform tried to pull me over. He asked where my helmet was and when I told him it was stolen he said "I dont give a F%^K. park your bike and walk home". Now it was 9pm and I was 10km from home so I suggested what actions he could take on my genitals with his mouth and drove off. From there he was following me, honking his horn and scream for me to pull over. I slowed enough to tell him he had no detention authority and I did not need to stop, but he kept shouting "I'm the police!!" Although he was driving a scoopy and my 250cc bike could have left him in the dust, it was raining and I wasnt willing to risk my life to get away from this guy. After 2-3 km he tried running me off the road and pulling in front to force me to stop. Anyone who endangers my life is not real popular with me so I stopped to see what he was made of.

Once off the bike and looking for some payback (I am not a fighter, bully boy or bad ass but was in a bad mood) I told him he better call in some real police for back up if he wanted to try pulling this $%$^. He showed me a business card that said police assistant volunteer or some such rot and kept insisting he was real police and he could ticket me. Now I have lived here long enough to know what a farang "boy scout" can and cannot do so Invited him to show me his ticket book so he could write me up. He could not produce one (he also had no cuffs or radio) but kept insisting he was not only real police and not tourist police, but he could ticket me if he wished.

I generally tolerate the tourist police because even though it is mostly an ego inflating hobby for old, bored foreigners, they may occasionally do some good and generally do no harm, but being verbally abusive and trying to run me off the road for doing something that everyone else I saw that night was doing (no helmet, but he would never stop a Thai as they would likely beat him) and something that was not even my fault (I would never ride in Phuket without a helmet, given a choice) was a bit much for me. As I was confronting him I noticed a car stop across the street and 2 of my employees were watching the confrontation, prompting me to decide that fighting an old brit in the rain, on the street would not help my status at work, so I played along, pretended I was sorry for my infraction and blessing him for his fine work before I drove off.

The point of my post is: The tourist police or volunteer police really need better training on what their authority is, what could happen if they injure someone when playing cop, and what happens when they play cop 3 villages away from where their uniform was issued. The consequences could be anywhere from having their flashlight revokes, getting beaten, or having charges pressed against them. Anyone else had a similar situation happen with non-Thai "police"?

• 9 months later...

The Tourist Police Volunteers (TVP) on Samui sorted their act out several years ago. Robocops or anyone mincing about with a utility belt is long gone. I don't know how many there are at the moment but I note they speak an impressive 12 languages between them (inc Russian, Hebrew, Korean, Japanese) & have a few females among them. I don't have any further details (selection, vetting, background, training) as I am not involved.

There are Tourist Police Volunteers.

And then there are Police Volunteers.

They are very different indeed.

Either of those volunteers can be Thai or foreign.

The Police volunteers have to follow an educational route, one of the courses tells them very well what their "powers" are.

Depending, of course, on their knowledge and educational

But do remember thare are police volunteers that can have nearly all the powers of "normal" policemen.

And that can includes carrying a firearm.

Apologies, I've not read the whole thread, I want to enjoy life however my suggestion is................

Maybe if they just removed the word "Police" all would be well.

We've got tourist wardens now in Glasgow and they are well regarded, they get to wear a bright jacket and be nice to people. Seems about right to me.

I'm going away now before it turns nasty coffee1.gif

You have hit the nail on the head. Many provinces have Volunteers to help Police UNDERSTAND farangs, which they don't. Sick of reading we are wannabies, OK some are, depends where you are and how the BiB want one to act as TPV. Happy to say where l am it's to help a farang in distress, drunks etc are dealt with by the BiB and pay the price.
transam, may I ask you why you decided to do this work? And didn't the fact that Thai police is known for corruption play a role?

I have a double feeling about this.

On one hand I think it's very nice that people spend time and effort to help others and get little or no compensation for that.

On the other hand I've to say my positive experiences with Thai police are very limited. In several encounters with Thai police I was asked for (corruption)"money" and most of the times they were so good in playing their role, I didn't even know I was paying corruption money. Sometimes, they just refused to do their job (like picking up a known thief based on detailed CCTV recordings). I personally know several police officers, and they are nice people, but I am convinced all of them get part of their income from corruption. For me personally that would something to think about when applying for a volunteer position with the police.

They came to ask me, I told them my visa siad mo work permitted. They said no problem we don't pay you. That's when the Torkshire background kicked in. "If you ever do owt for nowt. Do it for thisen" You need a volunteer visa.

And now you can supply a translation of your pithy Torkish saying so to keep this thread eminently readable for the few non- Brits who give a toss about the erstwhile, part-time, English bobbies in LOS.

Sorry missed the typo, "If you ever do anything for nothing, Do it for yourself" Happy now?

you cant make this noob happy .