Donations Pour In After Video Of Bullied Ny Bus Monitor Goes Viral

News_Editor

Donations pour in after video of bullied NY bus monitor goes viral < br />

2012-06-23 03:25:22 GMT+7 (ICT)

GREECE, NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- Donations continued to pour in from around the world on Friday after a 10-minute video showing the relentless bullying of an elderly New York school bus monitor went viral, raising more than half a million dollars which will allow her to retire.

Karen Klein, 68, who makes around $15,000 a year as a bus monitor in the town of Greece in Monroe County, was subjected to name-calling and other verbal abuse by four students from Greece Athena High School. The group of students, who filmed the incident and uploaded it to the social networking website Facebook, called Klein "fat" and "poor" among other insults.

At one point in the video, one of the students tells Klein she doesn't have a family "because they all killed themselves because they didn't want to be near you." Although she did not hear it at the time, this comment was particularly upsetting to Klein because her son committed suicide about ten years ago.

The video on Facebook was uploaded to the video-sharing website YouTube by someone else to draw attention to the incident. It quickly went viral online, having received more than 4.3 million views as of Friday afternoon as U.S. and international media began to cover the video which has outraged people around the world.

Before the video went viral, an online fundraising campaign was set up by 25-year-old Toronto nutritionist Max Sidorov. "She doesn't earn nearly enough to deal with some of the trash she is surrounded by," he wrote on the campaign's page. "Lets give her something she will never forget, a vacation of a lifetime!"

Sidorov initially hoped to raise $5,000 for Klein but, as the video and the story went viral around the world, tens of thousands of people made a donation. As of Friday afternoon, more than $550,000 has been raised with still 28 days left until the campaign on Indiegogo.com ends.

The Greece Central School District released a statement on Thursday in which it said it has been touched by the outpouring of support for Klein. "We share the country's outrage over the behavior displayed on the videos," it said. "We are deeply sorry that Karen was subjected to that kind of treatment."

The statement went on to say that the school district has identified the four students involved in the incident and assured they will face disciplinary action. "Disciplinary action to the fullest extent appropriate under New York Education Law will be taken against all involved," the district said. "However, as we stated yesterday, it is not appropriate for the district to discuss the specific disciplinary consequences that will result for any individual student."

Klein said she wants the students to be kept off the school bus and be forbidden to play any sports for at least a year. "Somebody mentioned community service and I thought that was a pretty good idea too," she told CNN on Thursday night. "I want them to make sure they never do this again to anybody."

The incident is also being investigated by the Greece Police Department, but Klein has said she does not wish to press charges. "I feel kind of bad for them and their families because of what is going on," she told the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper in New York. "They are being harassed terribly, and I don't like that. I figured this was probably punishment enough, you know? And I don't want any harm to come to them. Yes they were nasty to me, but it's over and done. I hope this is a lesson to be learned."

Meanwhile, two of the students involved in the incident have apologized for their behavior. "I am so sorry for the way I treated you. When I saw the video I was disgusted and could not believe I did that," student Josh said in a brief statement, as quoted by CNN. "I am sorry for being so mean and I will never treat anyone this way again."

A second student, Wesley, also released a brief statement. "I feel really bad about what I did. I wish I had never done those things," he said. "If that had happened to someone in my family, like my mother or grandmother, I would be really mad at the people who did that to them."

Wesley's mother and the father of Luis, a third student, also released brief statements in which they apologized for the behavior of their children. "I cannot even tell you how badly I feel. I am deeply sorry for what my son did. I wish there was some way to make it up to you," Wesley's mother said. "I am embarrassed, angry and sad about the awful way he treated you. I am truly sorry."

In addition to the donations made through Indiegogo.com, Southwest Airlines has offered Klein and nine relatives a trip to Disneyland in California for three nights, including airfare, hotel and rental car. A local mall also plans to honor Klein with a $500 shopping spree and a basket filled with products from several stores.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-23

Nice to know there's decent people in the world prepared to help this lady, she never asked but people gave.

Hats off to them.

As for a punishment for the mean horrible disgusting people who did it......

Tar and feather em then put em in the stocks and let any old aged person who wants to throw s*it at them.

Edited by MB1

And here is one of the wonderful things about Thailand. In general all children here have respect for the elderly. This may happen here, but it never has to my knowledge. I just cannot imagine it. Bravo to the parents who offered an apology for the behaviour of their children.

• Like 2

And here is one of the wonderful things about Thailand. In general all children here have respect for the elderly. This may happen here, but it never has to my knowledge. I just cannot imagine it. Bravo to the parents who offered an apology for the behaviour of their children.

How good is your Thai ? Countless times I've heard Thai kids calling old farang men and women all kinds of horrible names ( fatty, buffalo, old animal etc), in the mistaken belief that farang don't understand what is being said.

• Like 1

Suggested punishment.

Make them wipe bums at an old age facility for year.

Charge them 1000 dollars per hour instead of paying them.

Add that debt to their student loan package which they will still owe when they're as old as Mrs. Klein.

• Like 2

Disgraceful. whats wrong with people?

it actually made me feel like i wanna kick their ass's even though they are kids.

Kids today!

Sorry about this, but I can't be the only one thinking this.

Where do I go to get abused by some horrific brats? I could really use a half million dollars!

$597,924

http://www.indiegogo...eforkarenhklein

I'm only half joking. With an incentive like that, don't be too shocked if some enterprising oldsters start trying to get abused this way!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

it actually made me feel like i wanna kick their ass's even though they are kids.

Kids today!

Where do I go to get abused by some horrific brats? I could really use a half million dollars!

$597,924

http://www.indiegogo...eforkarenhklein

I'm only half joking. With an incentive like that, don't be too shocked if some enterprising oldsters start trying to get abused this way!

Jingthing

We could always set something up and video it. I can organize a load of kids to verbally abuse you on the BTS and then we can throw the vid on youtube, start up a FB fund and hey presto, split the takings ;)

• Like 2

Kids today!

$597,924

Come to my place and for a cut of a cool 500 grand I'm more than willing to have my 8 year old daughter and some of her pals to call you a big mincing baht bus riding nelly mate! biggrin.png

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

Kids today!

$597,924

Come to my place and for a cut of a cool 500 grand I'm more than willing to have my 8 year old daughter and some of her pals to call you a big mincing baht bus riding nelly mate! biggrin.png

I would do that for FREE. biggrin.png
  • Like 2

Kids today!

$597,924

That's funny.

They can call me anything for that! I can look suitably heartbroken, saddened, distraught etc.

This lady did not start the donation campaign. Somebody saw the YouTube and decided to start it for her, through no urging on her part.

Everybody should lighten up and be happy somebody took it upon themselves to help out someone less fortunate.

I couldn't watch more than 2 mins.

How low are these uneducated smart &lt;deleted&gt; able to go?

As for thanks for the parents' apologies, the children should be put up on TV, along with the old dear, and made to publicly snivel and apologise.

Parents, you should take off your belts and give these kids a scar to remember for this outrage.

Poor dear kept her cool, for what I saw, and was neither degrading or detrimental to the little feckers.

So much for the USA educational and correctional facilities. :( :(

-mel.

• Like 1

As for thanks for the parents' apologies, the children should be put up on TV, along with the old dear, and made to publicly snivel and apologise.

Parents, you should take off your belts and give these kids a scar to remember for this outrage.

Poor dear kept her cool, for what I saw, and was neither degrading or detrimental to the little feckers.

So much for the USA educational and correctional facilities. :( :(

-mel.

Bring back the birch or the cat of nine tails I say.:ph34r:

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

"However, as we stated yesterday, it is not appropriate for the district to discuss the specific disciplinary consequences that will result for any individual student."

Unless, and until, the authorities realise the positive impact of their being named and shamed publicly, many of these students will never learn.

So much for the USA educational and correctional facilities. sad.pngsad.png

-mel.

Bring back the birch or the cat of nine tails I say.ph34r.png

Unfortunately, the most effective deterrents are the least attractive to PC governments determined to snivel to the non-representative minorities whose members vehemently oppose all kinds of physical punishment.

She should be fired for just sitting there. I've been a public school bus driver, and when you have a problem like that, you go back to school or pull the bus over. Is it her job to just sit there? What the heck is the point of having her on the bus? Typical school district overstaffed with everything but teachers. And of course the students should get their butts beaten.

• Like 1

Im torn on this thing. For one, these are just little kids. Do they really understand what they are doing? We have all done stupid things before. On the other hand, the things they did were despicable and I dont know if someone who treats an elderly person in that way can ever be saved, even if they are just kids. It takes a real warped soul to treat someone like this. For some reason I doubt they are sorry for what they have done, and I doubt their parents are going to teach them. If they are capable of doing this to an old lady what else are they capable of? Will they face any type of real punishment at all? I am skeptical...

Where were the other kids on the bus? Nobody was brave enough to step up and come to this poor lady's aid? I hope when these kids return to school the other kids give them the punishment I highly doubt they will be getting at home. I also hope their parents are properly humiliated and held accountable for their MASSIVE failures as parents. I do not have kids, but I cannot picture how a scenerio where these parents are not somehow responsible for their kid's unimaginably cruel behavior.

If I had a daughter and in 4 years one of these boys shows up on my doorstep I would have a heartattack. I don't really believe in eternal punishment for something one does as a middle schooler, but at the same time these kids seem damaged perhaps to the point to being unreachable.

-mel.

I am aghast you could suggest this. On the thread concerning the girl that has killed 9 people on the road you are obsessed with the right of her parents to pay and get her off scott free and here you are actually calling for punishment !! So killing 9 people should be a pay off with no punishment and verbally abusing an old woman should be a sound whipping! I don't know what goes on inside your head MB1 but priorities seem amiss somewhere.

• Like 1

-mel.

I am aghast you could suggest this. On the thread concerning the girl that has killed 9 people on the road you are obsessed with the right of her parents to pay and get her off scott free and here you are actually calling for punishment !! So killing 9 people should be a pay off with no punishment and verbally abusing an old woman should be a sound whipping! I don't know what goes on inside your head MB1 but priorities seem amiss somewhere.

We are not talling what happened in Thailand Jim it happened in the western world.

Now do stop jumping onto other threads trying to admonish me.

Now do stay aghast but please try to stop following me around I consider it a kind of flame/ bait.

She should be fired for just sitting there. I've been a public school bus driver, and when you have a problem like that, you go back to school or pull the bus over. Is it her job to just sit there? What the heck is the point of having her on the bus? Typical school district overstaffed with everything but teachers. And of course the students should get their butts beaten.

That's an interesting point. I don't even know what the job functions of a school bus monitor are. I rode an American school bus myself and we never had (needed?) monitors. It's a bus. A driver and passengers.