How Do You Guys Stay Sane In Pattaya?

WinnieTheKhwai

If you have a car, explore the area from Huay Yai road all the way down to Bang Saray. Quite a few nice condos on the beach where you can rent. Relatively quiet. Lots of great places to eat. And only 20 minute drive to Central Festival if desired. Great walks on the beach down here!

If you're only going for a month, you don't want to go too far out.

Soi Buakhao should be far enough.

You can have a quiet beer there or walk to the beach through Soi 7 in less than minutes.

There are cheap and expensive hotels, apartments and guesthouses.

My friend went the other side of Sukhumvit and had to pay 200 Baht each way just to go for a beer in town or for his wife to go shopping for western food.

Ah sorry, should have mentioned that I will bring the wife and kids, and that I will have a car. (Or maybe two cars to allow the Mrs some mobility)

So Soi Bua Khao is not suitable in just about every way. (Though it makes perfect sense for a couple days when I'm just by myself. But even then it's a bit of a scene, not sure if I could deal with that every day fir a longer period of time. )

I was thinking Sr Racha actually. Easy for the family to go shopping, and also not too far from Pattaya for some more major shopping, and kids stuff. And beaches, though I hear there's a pretty nice island close to Sri Racha too.

Unless I can find the same sort of deal nearer to Pattaya, but Naklua/Bang Lamung may be too close.

Taking <the wife and kids> to Pattaya is, IMO, insane. Your better off in Jomptien if you have that particular situation.

As for myself, I loved Pattaya, and especially Walking St. If that's not your bag, best to go elsewhere.

Unfortunately the drunks, crime, filth (never seen a beach with more crap on it), noise pollution, etc., have all spread to Jomtien. I really do not see much of a divide between the two places and tend to refer to them now as one thing: Pattaya-Jomtien. To get away from it, I think you have to go south, but not sure where or how far.

Without reading anybodies posts,

What is different than any other major holiday destination??????????????

Spain lucky lucky men

Turkey,for gods sake dont have a 14yo blonde hair,blue eyes daughter with u,big problem,unless u want to smack a few turks like we did.

Greece Time share touts,i could use much stronger language.

Florida Drive by shootings

Come on man grow some balls and enjoy your Trip.Pattaya is a great place to live/holiday,IF u have the right frame of mind.Will be interested to what others say

It would be good for you if you can ride a Thai motor bike, then you can go all over the place cheaply.

And end up dead or injured , just remember to have the best insurance available.

Unfortunately the drunks, crime, filth (never seen a beach with more crap on it), noise pollution, etc., have all spread to Jomtien. I really do not see much of a divide between the two places and tend to refer to them now as one thing: Pattaya-Jomtien. To get away from it, I think you have to go south, but not sure where or how far.

I found that the extreme far end of Jomptien beach was sparsly populated and quite pleasant for a day out.

Taking <the wife and kids> to Pattaya is, IMO, insane. Your better off in Jomptien if you have that particular situation.

Same town. This is not different places. Suppose you do live in Jomtien, where do you shop, where do you get stuff done, where do you go for restaurants, etc. It's about the difference of living in Thong Lor in Bangkok versus Aree; you're still in the same town. Actually that would be a bigger distance.. It's like Ekamai vs Asoke.

I do take the wife and kids to Pattaya on holiday, but then I get to drive all the time and make sure they only see respectable areas. This is why to this day my wife views Pattaya like any other urban easide center in Thailand; quite the achievement on my part of I may say so myself. wink.png

But actually living here I think some uncomfortable truths would hit her in the face pretty soon, not to mention for myself to keep my generally cheerful and positive outlook.

I will look further into points South from Pattaya. Any recommendations on points North or North-East? North is kind of my preference because it would be so much closer to get to Bangkok, and I expect to be in Bangkok a lot.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai