Back Home In England After 7 Months In Thailand

Richard99

I can see why the OP is upset with England...................

He now realizes that he is not a hansum man after all..............for that he blames the English girls, I would be more inclined to blame his genetic pool and lack of mirror. coffee1.gif

I am a hansum man, I am I am I am I am!! (can you hear stamping feet?) Though I readily admit to having woken up with one or two growlers in my younger, wilder days - English girls I might add - but never in Thailand, not so far anyway wai.gif

Seriously though, I don't hate England per se or English girls at all! I just prefer Thailand at the moment. I enjoy the weather, the lifestyle, the nightlife and, ok, masquerading as a teacher - I was an IT consultant in my old career, my English is quite good, I have a degree....and wait for it...a TEFL certificate.

I don't plan to be a lifer in Thailand and I certainly won't be buying a condo. I'd like to work there as long as possible, come back to England once or twice year and wait for my pension.

WPFflags.gif welcome to Thai Visa. Richard

• Like 1

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway Richard99, let me apologize for my rude behaviour............I should have introduced myself before insulting you. I'm theblether and welcome to Thaivisa welcomeani.gif

May I say you pressed all the right buttons for your first topic. Excellent stuff wai.gif

Cheers you blethering idiot, thank-you tongue.png . It's just a bit of fun innit? Aye. off to watch Spain v France now...France to win on penalties I think

• Like 2

Well, the OP gives up the plentiful of good things, as stated in his post, for smoking in pubs and the weather.

The reasons appear to be a bit lopsided as he also believes, the English pubs stink comparing to Thai pubs :-))) This makes me laugh. Come on, I have visited many many pubs all around Thailand and England and have to say this conclusion is wrong.

The comparison is not too sensible. The funny thing is that the beer is not cheap in Thai pubs at all. I live down the south but can't get a bottle for less than 120 in pubs, that equals the Wetherspoons or Goose in England.

But anyway, it is a smart decision to come over to teach if there is no job over there.

By the way, I would add that it is worth to bear in mind that smoking teachers have bad reputation among Thai students.

Regarding pubs in England, the standard of hygiene in the toilets is awful, always has been, but if you think they're fine then ok.

In Pattaya a small beer costs about 50THB and a big beer 70-80THB (Leo, Tiger, Chang etc.) Heineken costs more.

You're right to point out that teachers who smoke are frowned upon in Thailand. It's ok for me, I don't smoke during the day, never have done. I have my first gasper with a mug of tea in the morning and my next one with a cold beer in the evening.

If you think that UK toilet hygiene in Pubs is lacking,then you haven't been to many Thai Bars!

Anyway Richard99, let me apologize for my rude behaviour............I should have introduced myself before insulting you. I'm theblether and welcome to Thaivisa welcomeani.gif

May I say you pressed all the right buttons for your first topic. Excellent stuff wai.gif

Cheers you blethering idiot, thank-you tongue.png . It's just a bit of fun innit? Aye. off to watch Spain v France now...France to win on penalties I think

Spain 1 nil up mate, so I doubt that. Good luck and don't take any notice of the shit you get on here. You are just doing your best to survive so 10 out of 10 for that. From another Yorky!

• Like 1

If claiming contribution job seekers allowance then income from other sources is not taken into account. You've paid the relevant NI contributions so are entitled to the allowance; if you meet the other requirements, that is

It is:

"Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is not affected by any savings you have. However, if you have part-time earnings or an occupational or personal pension, this may affect how much contribution-based JSA you get. For example, the amount of contribution-based JSA that you get is cut pound for pound for any occupational pension that is over £50 a week. If you earn too much, you will not get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance at all."

This has certainly been an eye opening thead for me. I'd held a pretty liberal view that governments should shoulder the burden and redistribute incomes from it's wealthier citizens to it's least wealthy. But you Brits seem to be a bunch of scroungers. Imean we've got our typical "welfare mamas" here in the states who work the system, but somehow I imagined you all were above all that. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Edited by lannarebirth

Well, the OP gives up the plentiful of good things, as stated in his post, for smoking in pubs and the weather.

The reasons appear to be a bit lopsided as he also believes, the English pubs stink comparing to Thai pubs :-))) This makes me laugh. Come on, I have visited many many pubs all around Thailand and England and have to say this conclusion is wrong.

The comparison is not too sensible. The funny thing is that the beer is not cheap in Thai pubs at all. I live down the south but can't get a bottle for less than 120 in pubs, that equals the Wetherspoons or Goose in England.

But anyway, it is a smart decision to come over to teach if there is no job over there.

By the way, I would add that it is worth to bear in mind that smoking teachers have bad reputation among Thai students.

Regarding pubs in England, the standard of hygiene in the toilets is awful, always has been, but if you think they're fine then ok.

In Pattaya a small beer costs about 50THB and a big beer 70-80THB (Leo, Tiger, Chang etc.) Heineken costs more.

You're right to point out that teachers who smoke are frowned upon in Thailand. It's ok for me, I don't smoke during the day, never have done. I have my first gasper with a mug of tea in the morning and my next one with a cold beer in the evening.

If you think that UK toilet hygiene in Pubs is lacking,then you haven't been to many Thai Bars!

Laptop on my, er...lap now. Whilst I agree that toilets in Thai bars are sometimes not particularly clean, at least in the bars I frequent they don't smell of urine or make my eyes burn because of the industrial quantities of bleach and cleaning fluid some pubs in England use.

Best pub toilets in the world? Germany, where else. Best cars, best economy, best bogs (who's going to bite on that statement of fact I wonder?!! whistling.gif )

And yes Spain are 1-nil up but I can still see the French getting an equaliser. I just hope England do us proud tomorrow against the spaghetti eaters. Eng-erland Eng-erland Eng-erland....Eng-erland etc.

• Like 1

If claiming contribution job seekers allowance then income from other sources is not taken into account. You've paid the relevant NI contributions so are entitled to the allowance; if you meet the other requirements, that is

It is:

"Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance is not affected by any savings you have. However, if you have part-time earnings or an occupational or personal pension, this may affect how much contribution-based JSA you get. For example, the amount of contribution-based JSA that you get is cut pound for pound for any occupational pension that is over £50 a week. If you earn too much, you will not get contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance at all."

Correct.

But I have to wait another 15 years to get my occupational (company) pension which is why I can claim JSA.

Edited by Richard99

This has certainly been an eye opening thead for me. I'd held a pretty liberal view that governments should shoulder the burden and redistribute incomes from it's wealthier citizens to it's least wealthy. But you Brits seem to be a bunch of scroungers. Imean we've got our typical "welfare mamas" here in the states who work the system, but somehow I imagined you all were above all that. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Blooming heck, I had to put my reading glasses on to read that post.

How come you lot always turn up late for World Wars?

And always lose when you start them on your own? Vietnam 1 v 0 USA cheesy.gif

The reason is we used to be a rather isolationist country whose founding fathers discouraged foreign misadventures. Personally, I think they had the right idea.

The American doctrine for entering wars these days is to destabiize territories, not to WIN wars. BTW , Vietnam is America's greatest trading partner in SE Asia. Ironic isn't it?

Edited by lannarebirth

The reason is we used to be a rather isolationist country whose founding fathers discouraged foreign misadventures. Personally, I think they had the right idea.

How things have changed. Never mind, at least most of you speak English - but why oh why did you you feel the need to change the spelling of certain words and invent new words for perfectly good words? e.g. GB: colour USA: color: GB: Autumn USA: Fall.

Were some words just too hard for your poor little trasures to learn?

Edited by Richard99

The American doctrine for entering wars these days is to destabiize territories, not to WIN wars. BTW , Vietnam is America's greatest trading partner in in SE Asia. Ironic isn't it?

Well you've certainly achieved your objective there, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya sorry strike that out, that was mainly the French and Brits, Syria sorry strike that too, it's not kicked off yet, Iran...mmm well you're certainly destabilizing the ragheads there with your ingenious little computer viruses, or maybe you'll blame it all on your proxies occupying Palestine?

A poor joke,considering the American troops lost in WW2 was somewhere in the region of 416,000, and all for saving Europe,being a Brit I thought you would have known better,and exactly what we Brits owe to the Americans.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

The American doctrine for entering wars these days is to destabiize territories, not to WIN wars. BTW , Vietnam is America's greatest trading partner in in SE Asia. Ironic isn't it?

Well you've certainly achieved your objective there, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya sorry strike that out, that was mainly the French and Brits, Syria sorry strike that too, it's not kicked off yet, Iran...mmm well you're certainly destabilizing the ragheads there with your ingenious little computer viruses, or maybe you'll blame it all on your proxies occupying Palestine?

Regarding Libya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_military_intervention_in_Libya

If you want to know who NATO is let me know.

• Like 1

You are exactly the type that is not wanted here in Thailand.

If you are prepared to break the rules and abuse the system in England and believe it`s OK because no one is looking, than I have no doubts that you will have no qualms about doing the same in Thailand if need be.

It appears you enjoy the easy life and couldn’t give a rat’s behind who pays for it.

Are you fully qualified to teach? Did you have a work permit when teaching in Thailand?

If you are a fully qualified teacher, than why are you not seeking that sort of employment in the UK?

My guess is, that you will return to Thailand on a hope and a pray that it will work out and if not, you probably would have no hesitation in breaking the law or bending the rules in order to stay here.

• Like 1

Well, excuse me.

I am a British citizen and I can absolutely assure you that I am no scrounger.

I’ve worked all my life and pay my own way. Always been 100% above board and always will be. I can walk into Immigration each year for my annual visa extension, with a smile on my face, without having to worry and cover things up. Believe me, it`s a good feeling being in that situation and I know plenty more Brits and many other Westerners who are as in similar situations as myself.

It`s the minority that place the scrutiny on all of us and why I detest them so much.

The worst of it is, that there seems to be more and more of these undesirables plonking themselve`s in Thailand, which can only result in the visa rules being tightened up for all of us.

Well, excuse me.

I’ve worked all my life and pay my own way. Always been 100% above board and always will be. I can walk into Immigration each year for my annual visa extension, with a smile on my face, without having to worry and cover things up. Believe me, it`s a good feeling being in that situation and I know plenty more Brits and many other Westerners who are as in similar situations as myself.

It`s the minority that place the scrutiny on all of us and why I detest them so much.

The worst of it is, that there seems to be more and more of these undesirables plonking themselve`s in Thailand, which can only result in the visa rules being tightened up for all of us.

The US is the same if you listen to my American friends and family. As a Brit, I work 6-7 days a week, 14-18 hours a day in a tough business and pay tax through the nose whilst the government pile it up and catch it on fire. At the same time I have no recourse to benefits if I get sick or have no job as I'm self-employed, no firm wants to take on any permanent staff these days even technical and site management. So no pension either.

There always was this phenomenon of long term welfare claimants somehow managing to live it up in Thailand year after year. I've no idea how they did it. Sickness benefit or something. I thought it had all stopped now as they had to actually be in the UK to collect the benefit payments.

On topic. This 'back in England' stuff is nonsense. Most people who go to Thailand for long periods go there on an extended holiday and frankly, it doesn't matter where you go on an extended holiday, of course most people love not having to slog their guts out day in day out, it just happens that in Thailand it is (was) economically feasible to do such a thing for the common man. I know because I was a common man who did this and yes I hate coming back to Blighty because as soon as I do I'm back slogging the guts out again and I loathe it.

Thailand has little to do with this save for providing the means to not have to go to work for months on end (two and half years in one stretch in my case apart from the odd bit here and there).

If I had months and months off in Weston-super-Mare it would amount to the same thing. The desired life of leisure, the time to do what I want and not what other people (lunatics usually) want me to do.

Edited by MJP

If you are prepared to break the rules and abuse the system in England and believe it`s OK because no one is looking, than I have no doubts that you will have no qualms about doing the same in Thailand if need be.

It appears you enjoy the easy life and couldn’t give a rat’s behind who pays for it.

Are you fully qualified to teach? Did you have a work permit when teaching in Thailand?

If you are a fully qualified teacher, than why are you not seeking that sort of employment in the UK?

My guess is, that you will return to Thailand on a hope and a pray that it will work out and if not, you probably would have no hesitation in breaking the law or bending the rules in order to stay here.

I'm not breaking any rules and I'm certainly not abusing the system as you put it, how do come to that conclusion?

I'm not qualified to teach in England so that's not an option for me. I am qualified to teach in Thailand though and yes I did have a work permit in my last job.

I've no intention breaking any Thai laws either when I return.

I'm just a hansum man looking to make an honest living.

Edited by Richard99

I'm not breaking any rules and I'm certainly not abusing the system as you put, how do come to that conclusion?

I'm not qualified to teach in England so that's not an option for me. I am qualified to teach in Thailand though and yes I did have a work permit in my last job.

I'm just a hansum man looking to make an hansum honest living.

How many pints does it take to make you hansum in the eye of the beholder?? coffee1.gif

Well, excuse me.

The US is the same if you listen to my American friends and family. As a Brit, I work 6-7 days a week, 14-18 hours a day in a tough business and pay tax through the nose whilst the government pile it up and catch it on fire. At the same time I have no recourse to benefits if I get sick or have no job as I'm self-employed, no firm wants to take on any permanent staff these days even technical and site management. So no pension either.

There always was this phenomenon of long term welfare claimants somehow managing to live it up in Thailand year after year. I've no idea how they did it. Sickness benefit or something. I thought it had all stopped now as they had to actually be in the UK to collect the benefit payments.

On topic. This 'back in England' stuff is nonsense. Most people who go to Thailand for long periods go there on an extended holiday and frankly, it doesn't matter where you go on an extended holiday, of course most people love not having to slog their guts out day in day out, it just happens that in Thailand it is (was) economically feasible to do such a thing for the common man. I know because I was a common man who did this and yes I hate coming back to Blighty because as soon as I do I'm back slooging the guts out again and I loathe it.

Thailand has little to do with this save for providing the means to not have to go to work for months on end (two and half years in one stretch in my case apart from the odd bit here and there).

If I had months and months off in Weston-super-Mare it would amount to the same thing. The desired life of leisure, the time to do what I want and not what other people (lunatics usually) want me to do.

If I ever see you out and about, the drinks are on me, old sport.

This is all getting too depressing, time for a laugh:

Edited by Beetlejuice

Well, excuse me.

On topic. This 'back in England' stuff is nonsense. Most people who go to Thailand for long periods go there on an extended holiday and frankly, it doesn't matter where you go on an extended holiday, of course most people love not having to slog their guts out day in day out, it just happens that in Thailand it is (was) economically feasible to do such a thing for the common man. I know because I was a common man who did this and yes I hate coming back to Blighty because as soon as I do I'm back slooging the guts out again and I loathe it.

If I ever see you out and about, the drinks are on me, old sport.

This is all getting too depressing, time for a laugh:

I'm in desperate need of sunshine old boy, so may well take you up on that.

Just got to deal with 50,000 tonnes of asbestos contaminated soil first. I HATE WORK!!!!!

Laptop on my, er...lap now. Whilst I agree that toilets in Thai bars are sometimes not particularly clean, at least in the bars I frequent they don't smell of urine or make my eyes burn because of the industrial quantities of bleach and cleaning fluid some pubs in England use.

Eng-erland Eng-erland Eng-erland....Eng-erland etc.

If you carry on with this nonsense I'll have to shop you. Aye that's right....the only thing saving you is Forza Italia!!! laugh.png

I'm not breaking any rules and I'm certainly not abusing the system as you put, how do come to that conclusion?

I'm just a hansum man looking to make an hansum honest living.

How many pints does it take to make you hansum in the eye of the beholder?? coffee1.gif

The girls in Pattaya don't drink pints! They take lady drinks of course. They always call me hansum man, they luv me looong time.

Went to see my Doctor yesterday. I told him I had terrible wind. He gave me a kite. cheesy.gif

I went went to the doctor last week (free consultation, because I'm unemployed, on JSA, I'm a scrounger apparently) and said, 'I need help urgently. I keep dreaming that women come into my bedroom and I keep pushing them away.'

The doctor said,'What do you want me to do?'

I said, 'Cut my arms off.'

I got on a train to Bangkok the other day and sat next to a young woman reading a book called Sex Statistics.

'Any good?' I asked.

'Oh you are a hansum man. Yes, fascinating. American Indians have the widest manhood and Polish men the longest. By the way, I'm Poom.'

'Hi', I replied, 'I'm Tonto Polanski.'

Edited by Richard99