Which Place/Area/Secure Estate To Live

ArranP

Hello,

I am a single 41 male with 4 year old daughter and 1 year old boy, looking to rent a house in a nice area anything upto 60,0000 THB per month.

Would like somewhere daily commuting distance to St.Andrews or Regents schools as will be looking to place daughter at one of these.

I don't like central pattaya.

• beaches
  • koh samet
  • family areas
  • children play areas
  • 150+ sqm internal living accommodation
  • 2 to 3 bed house/apartment
  • some western amenities...

I am looking for names in terms of areas / estates / web sites where to look for what I like.

Thank you.

Regards

Arran.

If I am not mistaken, these schools provide pickup/drop off. Right? Or are you going to do the transportation yourself?

For a family, many like the East side of Pattaya, AKA Dark Side, out near Lake Maprachan. Many also live out where we are, NaJomtien/Ban Amphur/Bang Saray/Phoenix Golf Course.

Have you done any exploring yet???

If you are going to put the kids in St. Andrews then consider Ban Chang as it's about 12kms away, a bit more if you live down by the beach (maybe +5kms). Shinthavee Gardens on Sukhumvit has quite a few places empty at the moment.

For Regents somewhere around Mabprachan Lake as suggested although you can also get to St. Andrews easily enough from there along the Highway 36.

Try Suwattana Garden off soi Neurn Plub Wann huge estate 4 lane road goes right through middle big and small houses - st andrews has 2 mini buses that come to collect and drop off kids in the village each day - regents has about same number - lots of kids in village including Farang kids.

Paradise Villas has kids being picked up for Regents. Just be wary of one or two of the Russian landlords, otherwise usually a few places available asking 50-120k month.

Quite a few empty houses there right now so worth making an offer.

.... usually a few places available asking 50-120k month.

I'm not surprised that there are empty places with rents that high. Cant believe that anyone would actually pay that much as it seems totally over the top. Are they 20-bedroom mansions with a private pool for each bedroom?

I'm not surprised that there are empty places with rents that high. Cant believe that anyone would actually pay that much as it seems totally over the top. Are they 20-bedroom mansions with a private pool for each bedroom?

Not everybody prefers to stay in a 3500 Baht/month room I guess.

I have 2 boys in St Andrews, we live in Jomtien. A bit of long commute but my boys don't complain, the school bus has a TV. My boys are 3 and 7. I'll send you a PM.

I'd avoid Ban Chang due to all the pollution from the chemical plants around

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by pmugghc

They are actually quite nice.

Not everybody prefers to stay in a 3500 Baht/month room I guess.

Of course not. Me for one.

But there is a significant difference between 3.5K and 120K.

• Like 1

They are actually quite nice.

At 120K, so I would hope! I hope they have 180 degree cliff-top sea views also.

The math still doesn't seem to add up though, unless the houses were absurdly overpriced to buy/build in the first place. Which I suppose they probably were.

Why am I not suprised that you was the first one to say this Darrel...although I agree, it's a hell of a lot to pay. I pay 28k a month for a very nice 3 bedder on dark side and can't think why you would need to pay more unless of course you want a pool and a huge garden....but hey this is Pattaya, not Beverly Hills.

When he finds somwhere you can tip him off on the nearest noodel jointcheesy.gif

When he finds somwhere you can tip him off on the nearest noodel joint

I suspect that these sorts of places don't allow noodle vendors within about 2km, and probably have an armed militia to keep them away. ermm.gif

Personally I don't see much point living in Thailand if you cant get some spicy fast food within 5 minutes' walk of your front door.

I remember visiting the Wong Amat area last year with a real estate agent. Looking at the streets I was put off by the absence of street food vendors, in fact the general absence of any sort of food place that I would be likely to use. We drove past one lone noodle vendor and I thought "better than nothing". The agent said "it would be nicer round here if they got rid of that crap". Ho hum.

• Like 1

I suspect that these sorts of places don't allow noodle vendors within about 2km, and probably have an armed militia to keep them away. ermm.gif

Personally I don't see much point living in Thailand if you cant get some spicy fast food within 5 minutes' walk of your front door.

I remember visiting the Wong Amat area last year with a real estate agent. Looking at the streets I was put off by the absence of street food vendors, in fact the general absence of any sort of food place that I would be likely to use. We drove past one lone noodle vendor and I thought "better than nothing". The agent said "it would be nicer round here if they got rid of that crap". Ho hum.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. A nearby market is essential for my better half.

Easy to get spicy fast food. It's called delivery! And a fresh market is just down the street, less than 1km.

Hey, to each his own, right? If you've got the money, what's wrong with it????

Easy to get spicy fast food. It's called delivery!

One of the local noodle places I go to does indeed have his mobile phone number written on the stall, though I'm not sure why. He and his wife always seem to be busy dealing with the sit-down and take-away customers (I have never seen less than 2 or 3 people in there at any time of day or night, and the 7 or 8 tables are often full), so I wonder what he would say if asked to deliver a 30B dish of meatball soup to a posh housing estate a couple of km away?

As you say, each to his own but it doesn't seem like Thailand to me.

One of the local noodle places I go to does indeed have his mobile phone number written on the stall, though I'm not sure why. He and his wife always seem to be busy dealing with the sit-down and take-away customers (I have never seen less than 2 or 3 people in there at any time of day or night, and the 7 or 8 tables are often full), so I wonder what he would say if asked to deliver a 30B dish of meatball soup to a posh housing estate a couple of km away?

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I have 2 boys in St Andrews, we live in Jomtien. A bit of long commute but my boys don't complain, the school bus has a TV. My boys are 3 and 7. I'll send you a PM.

I'd avoid Ban Chang due to all the pollution from the chemical plants around

There's no chemical plants around Ban Chang and the beaches there are much better than the ones in Pattaya.

There's no chemical plants around Ban Chang and the beaches there are much better than the ones in Pattaya.

Maybe "chemical plant" is the wrong word but what are they doing at the whole stretch from Ban Chang towards Rayong and beyond with smokestacks spewing out flames and other things?

Maybe "chemical plant" is the wrong word but what are they doing at the whole stretch from Ban Chang towards Rayong and beyond with smokestacks spewing out flames and other things?

That is called Maptaput, which is full of chemical plants and has been evacuated a few times already for poisonous exhausts,including once a part of Ban chang.

yes Pattaya is traditionally Thai isn't it...good lord when are you going to move to Nakhon Nowhere?

OP needs to get out in a car and drive around, then go back at night, then ask again when he has contenders.

School bus picks the kids up so no huge drama wherever you live. However, living out in the sticks with nothing around you will drive you mad. If the kids want a beach, then live near one, the best you can find, which is not Pattaya or Jomtien.

Reckon on what the kids need and work from that. If you need a maid, then factor in that for size. Way way less than 60k can get you a 5 bed with private pool whereas some real estate whallers will offer you some unsaleable condo or trophy house for 100k plus.

OP needs to get out in a car and drive around, then go back at night, then ask again when he has contenders.

School bus picks the kids up so no huge drama wherever you live. However, living out in the sticks with nothing around you will drive you mad. If the kids want a beach, then live near one, the best you can find, which is not Pattaya or Jomtien.

Reckon on what the kids need and work from that. If you need a maid, then factor in that for size. Way way less than 60k can get you a 5 bed with private pool whereas some real estate whallers will offer you some unsaleable condo or trophy house for 100k plus.

Well that's exactly what I want......garden and land for dogs to play in,pool for me and staff quartersfor maid and hubby,so where are these places at about 50k a month ? Obviously on Darkside.......but where?

yes Pattaya is traditionally Thai isn't it...good lord when are you going to move to Nakhon Nowhere?

No time soon. But today I can stagger out of my condo and within 5 minutes walk I can find 50 vendors and small restaurants selling 100% Thai food, at Thai prices with no fancy farang menu, no french fries or pasta or rib-eye steaks, no imported sauces and no ++.

So it feels pretty much like Thailand to me and is similar to every back-of-beyond place I have ever been in Thailand. The day that those vendors cease to exist Pattaya will no longer be Thai, and I won't be living here any more. Wong Amat is already there and guess what? I wont live there at any price.

Well that's exactly what I want......garden and land for dogs to play in,pool for me and staff quartersfor maid and hubby,so where are these places at about 50k a month ? Obviously on Darkside.......but where?

For 50K you can find that just a couple of minutes walk from the beach, and within striking distance of civilisation, if you put a bit of effort into it (and a bit of very necessary negotiation).

On the Darkside it should be half that price, or less.

You can rent a nice big detached place just outside London for 50KB/month, so why on earth should you spend so much here?

Darrel, I have to say, you are by far the most intelligent/sarcastic fellow giving sound advice with quips to follow. I salute your wisdom along with using some of your bank term tips. Great thanks.

Sent from my GT-P6200L using Thaivisa Connect App

No time soon. But today I can stagger out of my condo and within 5 minutes walk I can find 50 vendors and small restaurants selling 100% Thai food, at Thai prices with no fancy farang menu, no french fries or pasta or rib-eye steaks, no imported sauces and no ++.

So it feels pretty much like Thailand to me and is similar to every back-of-beyond place I have ever been in Thailand. The day that those vendors cease to exist Pattaya will no longer be Thai, and I won't be living here any more. Wong Amat is already there and guess what? I wont live there at any price.

I've found most of these vendors and small restaurants can't cook anywhere near as good as my wife can. So even if they were a 5 minute walk away or less, I wouldn't use them. I guess I'm lucky that way?

Sorry, but there's few places here in Pattaya that actually feel like Thailand. For sure nowhere West of Suk, and few places on the darkside either. Too many beer bars here on every corner in every part of town. And way too many foreigners, way too much traffic. Being a bit out of town is a good thing.