True Internet - Port Blocking?

frankold

For home connections it appears True internet has all ports blocked from incoming connections? Or are running some sort of proxy that hides the routers public IP from DDNS services which renders connecting remotely to routers html config / internal NAS boxes impossible. Is this the case for others using True ADSL connections too?

The routers firewall is disabled and set to forward all incoming packets, My computers firewalls are also disabled. Nothing is coming through.

Set to forward the incoming packets where?? To which local IP addresses.

I don't think True can block in the way you describe as the internet would simply fail.

You would normally direct certain Public IP ports to Private IP addresses.

For example..

Incoming port 1234 to the computer on your network that has IP address 192.168.1.x

They may perhaps block certain ports such as port 80 (webservers) and others for mail servers etc.. but they cannot blanket ban all ports the internet wouldn't function.

The routers firewall is disabled and set to forward all incoming packets, My computers firewalls are also disabled. Nothing is coming through.

I don't think True can block in the way you describe as the internet would simply fail.

For example..

Incoming port 1234 to the computer on your network that has IP address 192.168.1.x

They may perhaps block certain ports such as port 80 (webservers) and others for mail servers etc.. but they cannot blanket ban all ports the internet wouldn't function.

They can block as many incoming ports as they like and TCP/IP connections establishing an outbound connection will function just fine.

For example..

They can block as many incoming ports as they like and TCP/IP connections establishing an outbound connection will function just fine.

Well I am sitting here getting my Sip Calls port forwarded, my remote desktop connections work, I can VPN into my home network oh and my IP cam is still accessible.

Does true have a special level of service for you?

For example..

Well I am sitting here getting my Sip Calls port forwarded, my remote desktop connections work, I can VPN into my home network oh and my IP cam is still accessible.

Does true have a special level of service for you?

Well done, you have managed to answer the initial question eventually albeit in the process showing your complete ignorance to how the internet actually works in relation to a home user. ISPs can and do block a lot of ports and if they wish can block all incoming connections without the internet 'failing'.

There have been several posts on the forum recently, one from no less that the forum owner pointing out what a complete mess Trues network setup is.

You are definitely using a True home ADSL connection? If my problem is not the case in general I may open a support ticket with them which was the entire purpose of this thread.

No incoming port filters by True I'm aware of.

If you need external router configuration, you have to enable it first. By default it is off and should be.

If you need port forwarding, google how it is done for your router model.

No incoming port filters by True I'm aware of.

If you need external router configuration, you have to enable it first. By default it is off and should be.

If you need port forwarding, google how it is done for your router model.

This is the problem, LAN/WAN - html + ssl, telnet, ssh router config access are all enabled. The DDNS service is updating but even when using the public IP I took myself when on location (which when resolved points just fine to a True home ADSL hostname), still nothing is getting through whether the routers firewall is enabled or not.

I will get in touch with them, just wanted some ammunition to fire back at their usual bs first though. If other connections aren't blocked in this manner, they can't insist mine should be too.

Edited by frankold

NAT is enabled? or try to put your computer in the DMZ.

No DMZ or NAT is required to get to the routers config.

I don't think that was the point of the suggestion.

If NAT was disabled, your router wouldn't forward the incoming packets you've set in your rules. I have seen routers with the NAT configuration on one page, but the option to enable/disable it on a different page. So it might be disabled without being obvious - which stems down to poor interface design on the manufacturer's part.

Placing computer X's IP address in the router's DMZ results in the router forwarding ALL packets it receives from it's external IP to X's internal IP, ignoring all other NAT settings.

At one point in the thread it sounds like you have a server behind the router that isn't receiving any requests, hence the need for port forwarding/DMZ to that IP.

At another point in this thread it sounds like you are simply trying to access your router's configuration from an external IP. Routers should have this disabled by default as most people don't change their router's username/password combo from "admin"/"admin" or "admin"/"password", depending on brand, and anyone could go on a reconfiguration spree of almost all home users with a very simple application. If it is supported by your choice of router, you need only enable it in the configuration settings. Port forwarding rules are not required for this at all, adding to my confusion as to what you're trying to acheive in your current tests.

Really, we would need to know more concise details on what router hardware you've got and/or what you're trying to achieve in order to help.

I don't think that was the point of the suggestion.

If NAT was disabled, your router wouldn't forward the incoming packets you've set in your rules. I have seen routers with the NAT configuration on one page, but the option to enable/disable it on a different page. So it might be disabled without being obvious - which stems down to poor interface design on the manufacturer's part.

Placing computer X's IP address in the router's DMZ results in the router forwarding ALL packets it receives from it's external IP to X's internal IP, ignoring all other NAT settings.

At one point in the thread it sounds like you have a server behind the router that isn't receiving any requests, hence the need for port forwarding/DMZ to that IP.

At another point in this thread it sounds like you are simply trying to access your router's configuration from an external IP. Routers should have this disabled by default as most people don't change their router's username/password combo from "admin"/"admin" or "admin"/"password", depending on brand, and anyone could go on a reconfiguration spree of almost all home users with a very simple application. If it is supported by your choice of router, you need only enable it in the configuration settings. Port forwarding rules are not required for this at all, adding to my confusion as to what you're trying to acheive in your current tests.

Really, we would need to know more concise details on what router hardware you've got and/or what you're trying to achieve in order to help.

I know it wasn't his point, but what use is there in trying to NAT packets to an internal IP from the router when the router itself is inaccessible to incoming connections? I already stated that the router is enabled for LAN/WAN - html + ssl, telnet, ssh router config access.

Is anyone who has replied stating the obvious about port forwarding etc actually in Thailand using a True home adsl connection? w00t.gif

FYI.. I've just gone through the list of previous dynamic True IP's the router had used over the last week. Most connect to the router to whom the IP's have now been assigned just fine. So it appears this problem is localized and a misconfiguration of some proxy/gateway in this area.

I will contact True to have it checked out. Thx