Thaivisa HQ - A Dream Or Reality?

george

With the greatest respect to Simon, Suk 1 plaza is just not working. None of the bars are making any money and more than a few have now closed or gone to the wall including one of the bigger players. Unless something significant happens and I really don’t think TV is the ‘significant’ to stop the rot, then it would be a bad choice.

But,…..would love to be proven wrong!

I think you are right Harry. Nice fun idea but soi 1...Not to be funny, but lets be honest.. it is the low end, of the cheap girlie bar market......the place is a bit depressing. But good luck with it mate !

There is a basic issue which perhaps it takes a relative newcomer to point out since I suspect many of you are,as it were, too close to the mosaic.What is the Thai Visa brand image? The fact that some take seriously the prospect of an HQ in one of the scummiest parts of Sukhumvit suggests a Chang drinking,tattoo festooned bunch of visa runners(I jest to make a point) is very vocal.I don't believe this represents majority opinion.But again in the first instance to moderators,old timers etc what is the image or brand we wish to convey.I had hoped it might be a low key FCC style but maybe I have misunderstood the general will.

So Cassandra, is your boyfriends name Seen All Learnt Nothing...or Boris.

And <deleted> are you talking about :o

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a basic issue which perhaps it takes a relative newcomer to point out since I suspect many of you are,as it were, too close to the mosaic.What is the Thai Visa brand image? The fact that some take seriously the prospect of an HQ in one of the scummiest parts of Sukhumvit suggests a Chang drinking,tattoo festooned bunch of visa runners(I jest to make a point) is very vocal.I don't believe this represents majority opinion.But again in the first instance to moderators,old timers etc what is the image or brand we wish to convey.I had hoped it might be a low key FCC style but maybe I have misunderstood the general will.

I don't often come on Thai Visa but I do read it from time to time. George seems to have a good idea and I hope he gets there . I was just pointing out from what all of you were saying, that it seemed you did not like the girlie bar scene area. Well from my visits which ain't very often as I come and go from Thailand....Soi 1 is that. Not to knock the people who have bars there, but thats what Soi 1 is and it ain't very nice. A load of girlie bars with a load of desperate girls trying to drag you in to empty bars. As for the guest house, I don't know, but my friends who live in Thailand told me its a knocking shop like the short time rooms in Nana. Is that what you are looking for ?????

Edited by Blue Unicorn

Eh, why not just have a trial meetup there some evening and see how it comes off?

You're obviously very new :o

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In response to the chap(ette) who asked about capacity... Personally, I can do about 5 or six liters and a couple of shots to go with it.

... Well from my visits which ain't very often as I come and go from Thailand....Soi 1 is that. Not to knock the people who have bars there, but thats what Soi 1 is and it ain't very nice. A load of girlie bars with a load of desperate girls trying to drag you in to empty bars.

Things must've changed then. Last time I walked through soi 1 there were only a handful of bars opposite the Golden Palace hotel. Not much to do actually and nothing like soi 4 or soi 0.

George, I believe you should only take into consideration the opinions of members that have been here 2 years or longer. :D

I don't know any of you and I left Thailand two years ago for work. I come back sometimes. So don't take my opinion as anything more than just my thoughts. Alot of people like the girlie bar scene and thats their business not mine. We all different and thats alright. Good luck with what you do wherever you do it :o Sure you'll have fun wherever it is

With the greatest respect to Simon, Suk 1 plaza is just not working. None of the bars are making any money and more than a few have now closed or gone to the wall including one of the bigger players. Unless something significant happens and I really don’t think TV is the ‘significant’ to stop the rot, then it would be a bad choice.

But,…..would love to be proven wrong!

I think you are right Harry. Nice fun idea but soi 1...Not to be funny, but lets be honest.. it is the low end, of the cheap girlie bar market......the place is a bit depressing. But good luck with it mate !

So Cassandra, is your boyfriends name Seen All Learnt Nothing...or Boris.

And <deleted> are you talking about :o

Let me take a wild guess.What sort of person are you (see above for thumbnail description) and what sort of place do you prefer?I don't think it needs spelling out.

It's good to see a lot of contributions here about the right sort of venue etc. But I suspect that one man's meat is another man's poison. Whatever venue we choose (if any), many members will be happy and other members will swear never to set foot in the place! If George actually takes on board all these comments, then I suspect he will NEVER find a venue :o

There also seems to have been very little comment about the financial side of this idea? Since there is unlikely to be an existing venue that fits all needs (bar/cafe/restaurant/travel-agent/business-centre etc), who is going to pay to 'upgrade' the venue? And what if the venue owner pays for this but then finds that few or no TV members actually make use of the new facilities? Will he be compensated by TV? (I'm sure the answer is no!).

I tend to take the view that George should find a venue that HE feels is suitable and that HE makes the decision to make said venue the TV HQ. Otherwise, I think this thread will continue going round and round and zero concrete action will actually take place :D

Simon

I'm part of an informal expat group that meets every Friday, in a Soi 5 bar. Between a dozen and two dozen middle-aged white guys spend a couple hours yakking away. I've noticed that the conversations generally revolve around:

- how bad things were "back home"

- how bad things are in Bangkok

- how bad our relationships are

- how our back accounts are dwindling away

and, my favorite:

- hey, look at my neat new cell phone

Somehow, a group of middle-aged white guys turned into a bunch of Thai women...

Cassandra has a point - what exactly is the ThaiVisa Brand image?

It will be a big influence on the bar ...

Otherwise have a rotating place - post up the venue each week and everyone can descend to frighten the hapless owner to peices.

Sensible suggestion: I would like to see a ) decent coffee and B ) coffee that is bought direct from the Hill Tribes plantations ....

Their coffee is actually very good, and the Fair Trade aspect makes for a point of interest.

Edited by Abandon

soi 7/1

If you do have it. Please keep it out of the Nana area.

I agree.

How do you define 'Nana Area'???

Any bar/club in Soi 4 is the same as a bar in Nana Plaza....get real.

Errrrrrr... The way that it's defined on the map - Soi 3 is Nana Nua (Nana North) and Soi 4 is Nana Tai (Nana South) - as you said - get real

It's good to see a lot of contributions here about the right sort of venue etc. But I suspect that one man's meat is another man's poison. Whatever venue we choose (if any), many members will be happy and other members will swear never to set foot in the place! If George actually takes on board all these comments, then I suspect he will NEVER find a venue :o

There also seems to have been very little comment about the financial side of this idea? Since there is unlikely to be an existing venue that fits all needs (bar/cafe/restaurant/travel-agent/business-centre etc), who is going to pay to 'upgrade' the venue? And what if the venue owner pays for this but then finds that few or no TV members actually make use of the new facilities? Will he be compensated by TV? (I'm sure the answer is no!).

I tend to take the view that George should find a venue that HE feels is suitable and that HE makes the decision to make said venue the TV HQ. Otherwise, I think this thread will continue going round and round and zero concrete action will actually take place :D

Simon

Simon, I agree whole heartedly. This is starting to remind me of the thread where someone was investigating the possibilty of starting a Thai Visa credit card. Everyone chimed in with fantastic ideas giving little or no consideration to the financial factors affecting the issue.

George - if you listen to everything on this thread, you'll know what colour the bogs will be painted before you find the premises. I personally think its a fantastic idea - Thai Visa has over 20,000 members and no bar in Bangkok can fit that amount of people in. The luxury Thai Visa has is wherever it is situated and however it is decorated and whatever food it serves, it will suit a high enough proportion of the membership to ensure that it turns a good trade...

Sorry about the rant, but I'm sure that there is a justifiable old preverb kicking around here somewhere that involves not being able to please all of the people all of the time :D

OK

I will take the Sydney chapter.

Udons shed is too small and full of empty rum bottles.

Simon

Simon, I agree whole heartedly. This is starting to remind me of the thread where someone was investigating the possibilty of starting a Thai Visa credit card. Everyone chimed in with fantastic ideas giving little or no consideration to the financial factors affecting the issue.

George - if you listen to everything on this thread, you'll know what colour the bogs will be painted before you find the premises. I personally think its a fantastic idea - Thai Visa has over 20,000 members and no bar in Bangkok can fit that amount of people in. The luxury Thai Visa has is wherever it is situated and however it is decorated and whatever food it serves, it will suit a high enough proportion of the membership to ensure that it turns a good trade...

Sorry about the rant, but I'm sure that there is a justifiable old preverb kicking around here somewhere that involves not being able to please all of the people all of the time :D

George.

I have the place on soi 18.

it has a great soundsystem, kitchen and a nice decor.

it is at the ground floor of the town lodge hotel at the very end of soi 18.

a counter for a travel agency could be arranged.

the place is only a few months old and called TOXIC.

call me at 046433577

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

the last thing the sukhumvit area needs is another bar/eatery/meeting place. there are already dozens of them all competing for customers.

they are all equally loud and smoky. crowded with the brash and the boastful , the brazen and the busty , false fun for fickle folk.

better to have a members and guests club , with reading rooms , internet room , restaurant , comfortable accommodation for out of towners , pool table , tv , discreet service to all rooms etc. perhaps even an on site thai massage facility.

good wines , good food , a backgammon room , a roulette wheel or two behind the sliding wood panelling perhaps , white jacketed waiters and charming , very charming, hostesses.

i'm talking a class joint , not another bar just like the one next door , the one across the street , and every other bluddy bar in town.

an escape from the noise and sh1t outside , peace and quiet in the spacious reading rooms with a drink in an armchair if you want it , smoke and chat in the bar areas , a game of pool or backgammon , ceiling fans lazily rotating overhead ,

was it not noel coward who once said................. cont page 94.

Edited by taxexile

Sounds like this could be good. Could be ideal for Sunbelt ThaiVisa FC post-match beers too! This could integrate quite nicely with the football team side of things, actually.

What a brilliant idea.It's really hard to think of a more inviting and socially exclusive opportunity than to mingle with the Sunbelt ThaiVisa team during their "post-match beers".Clearly this is going to be an establishment of real class.Forget the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the Royal Varuna:they're for losers.I am tingling with anticipation at the prospect of meeting these distinguished and charming people, and brushing up on the Queen's English as I am a little afraid these boys are going to be too posh for me.Be still my beating heart.

Taxexile: that's also my idea of a decent club. I'm just not sure how many other TV members agree on that. After all it should be also a viable business.

Will be the hardest part finding the smallest common denominator I guess...what about a poll?

Sounds like this could be good. Could be ideal for Sunbelt ThaiVisa FC post-match beers too! This could integrate quite nicely with the football team side of things, actually.

What a brilliant idea.It's really hard to think of a more inviting and socially exclusive opportunity than to mingle with the Sunbelt ThaiVisa team during their "post-match beers".Clearly this is going to be an establishment of real class.Forget the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the Royal Varuna:they're for losers.I am tingling with anticipation at the prospect of meeting these distinguished and charming people, and brushing up on the Queen's English as I am a little afraid these boys are going to be too posh for me.Be still my beating heart.

What did I just say? :o:D

i think we are just pi55ing in the wind here raro , a classy establishment on sukhumvit , it will never happen.

i love and enjoy sleazy surroundings probably more than i should , but if there were a 21 st century version of a decent "gentlemans " club (women and children more than welcome too) then i'm sure it would prosper.