Thaivisa HQ - A Dream Or Reality?

george

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like this could be good. Could be ideal for Sunbelt ThaiVisa FC post-match beers too! This could integrate quite nicely with the football team side of things, actually.

What a brilliant idea.It's really hard to think of a more inviting and socially exclusive opportunity than to mingle with the Sunbelt ThaiVisa team during their "post-match beers".Clearly this is going to be an establishment of real class.Forget the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the Royal Varuna:they're for losers.I am tingling with anticipation at the prospect of meeting these distinguished and charming people, and brushing up on the Queen's English as I am a little afraid these boys are going to be too posh for me.Be still my beating heart.

What did I just say? :o:D

You just posted it! Have you forgotten already!!!

Sounds like this could be good. Could be ideal for Sunbelt ThaiVisa FC post-match beers too! This could integrate quite nicely with the football team side of things, actually.

What a brilliant idea.It's really hard to think of a more inviting and socially exclusive opportunity than to mingle with the Sunbelt ThaiVisa team during their "post-match beers".Clearly this is going to be an establishment of real class.Forget the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and the Royal Varuna:they're for losers.I am tingling with anticipation at the prospect of meeting these distinguished and charming people, and brushing up on the Queen's English as I am a little afraid these boys are going to be too posh for me.Be still my beating heart.

Glad you like the idea! Not much opportunity for improving the Queen's English though as we only have three English players. Hopefully this HQ will be open while this season's still going...

Edited by dantilley

George! Anything to update?

Sorry for repeating myself, but we really need to know what kind of capacity we are looking at for this venue? 50, 500, or 5000?

The reason I ask is because, although TV has over 25,000 members, can we calculate the average potential attendances per member per year?

Just trying to be practical but, as I said before, we don't want this thread to turn into the TV Visa card thread where everyone posted about the benefits they wanted fron the card without looking at the practicalities...

Sure, I would love for the Oriental to buid a whole new floor on top of their penthouse suites for the use of TV, wood panelled doors, and butlers called Jeeves, but it won't happen beacuse its impossible, and furthermore, won't be profitable...

However, I think that once we can work out a mandate (and we can do this here much easier than most market research companies can, seeing as all of our potential punters are in one place - ie here), we will be able to profile the premises we are looking for...

The equation required is:

(Number of TV members) x (Expected average visits to TV HQ per year per member) divided by 365 = Mean number of TV members on any given night/day...

Allowing for dead nights, and busy (festive) nights, the capacity should be roughly double this number...

Once the research has been done, then you will know the size of the premises you are looking at - after all, no point in having to turn cash payers away from a venue that is far too small. Equally, no point in aquiring a venue too large that looks empty, thus driving away potential business...

Not that I know too much about this, just my 2 pence...

Jez

"The equation required is: (Number of TV members) x (Expected average visits to TV HQ per year per member) divided by 365 = Mean number of TV members on any given night/day...Allowing for dead nights, and busy (festive) nights, the capacity should be roughly double this number...Once the research has been done, then you will know the size of the premises you are looking at..."

You can also spin and hop on one foot, for all of the good that it'll do you. Most of the posters seem to forget that this is supposed to be a business venture, not a social clubhouse where a nod and a wink is all you need.

You don't need to do any market research - George has the data he needs, and now it has to be transformed into information. In July, TV hosted a party. How many people were there? That is the absolute maximum you'll ever see at the TV Clubhouse. Now, it's time to start removing, not adding, clients. The turnout was large because there was free food. If you take away free food, there goes half the people. Since the TVC will be operating 365 days a year, you'll lose another 50% of the patrons because it's no longer a special occasion. Too, since it's no longer a special occasion, people will drink less. So, the question is: can the TVC survive selling 100 beers a day?

There are other bars with free reading material and free internet, pool tables and TVs, single guys and families, local girls and female relatives, seating inside and a pation, expanses of bar and tables that allow extended conversations, and nooks and crannies for the private tete-a-tetes, and a varied selection of foods and beverages. And, best of all, someone else has to worry about maintenance, fixed overhead, hiring and firing, and the obnoxious patron.

Good comments Backflip. Everyone needs to be realistic about this idea and realise that the books have to balance.

One possible venue which I proposed will no longer be in the running after next week. Because my wife is VERY pregnant, and not having an easy pregnancy, I have decided to close one of my bars on Sukhumvit Road. So, from 15th Feb, our Night Night Joop Joop Bar in Sukhumvit 1 Plaza will close. Although this venue was not 100% perfect, for the HQ (nowhere will be!), it seemed a good bet. But I have now started to build a holiday resort in Phuket, (along with the villas we were building).

I have too much on my plate and something has to go!! The wife won't go so the bar will go. We will still keep our smaller bar in the same entertainment complex, but that is much too small for a TV HQ.

Simon

You don't need to do any market research - George has the data he needs, and now it has to be transformed into information. In July, TV hosted a party. How many people were there? That is the absolute maximum you'll ever see at the TV Clubhouse. Now, it's time to start removing, not adding, clients. The turnout was large because there was free food. If you take away free food, there goes half the people. Since the TVC will be operating 365 days a year, you'll lose another 50% of the patrons because it's no longer a special occasion. Too, since it's no longer a special occasion, people will drink less. So, the question is: can the TVC survive selling 100 beers a day?

But what about the TV party which was held in October? That was a disaster.....

"The equation required is: (Number of TV members) x (Expected average visits to TV HQ per year per member) divided by 365 = Mean number of TV members on any given night/day...Allowing for dead nights, and busy (festive) nights, the capacity should be roughly double this number...Once the research has been done, then you will know the size of the premises you are looking at..."

You can also spin and hop on one foot, for all of the good that it'll do you. Most of the posters seem to forget that this is supposed to be a business venture, not a social clubhouse where a nod and a wink is all you need.

There are other bars with free reading material and free internet, pool tables and TVs, single guys and families, local girls and female relatives, seating inside and a pation, expanses of bar and tables that allow extended conversations, and nooks and crannies for the private tete-a-tetes, and a varied selection of foods and beverages. And, best of all, someone else has to worry about maintenance, fixed overhead, hiring and firing, and the obnoxious patron.

Hi there,

Here is an update:

We have been looking at 4 places in Bangkok including Simon43's bar and a nice night club on Soi 18. All of them have their pros and cons. I believe we can fill up a place if it's in a prime location in downtown Bangkok, with good access to communication (subway, skytrain, taxi, parking). Location, location, location!

We are still looking, but it will remain a dream until we can find the dream place. Hey, If Martin in Surin can bring in 10-20 or more expats every day to his successful www.farangconnection.com we should be able to do a similar setup in Bangkok.

Anyone? I need your help on this one!

Hey, If Martin in Surin can bring in 10-20 or more expats every day to his successful www.farangconnection.com we should be able to do a similar setup in Bangkok.

His secret to success is the number 2 breakfast. :o

Hey, If Martin in Surin can bring in 10-20 or more expats every day to his successful www.farangconnection.com we should be able to do a similar setup in Bangkok.

His secret to success is the number 2 breakfast. :o

I think it all boils down to the fact that those 20 drink more than the entire population of metropolitan Bangkok.

:D

But good luck...irregardless... :D

So my next visit will be in march.......dosnt time fly....Christmas seems such a loooong time ago :D so where is the pratice hangout that we would assume to test the waters for the real thing?...any hints......

irst night will start off at Buckskin Joes (Tobacco Road)...over to S23 bar....(by pass NEP)..hit the Huntsman,then Gullies,German Beer B,Cheap Charlies (of course)Therme...o no... not the Therme,Over to Mucky Duck...Offshore....Dive bar...Prince of Balls.....Office...Villa ??(for cheese)..avoid the Robin Bstds and flop down in the Dogs Billhooks....

so...where it gona be....... :o

first night will start off at Buckskin Joes…
One can see you’re a well-organised fellow, planning things in detail far in advance :o

I wish I could go back again so soon!

---------------

Maestro

Location is probably the most important factor of any business that relies on people to go to it. That is basic business knowledge....I am sure everybody has heard the saying...Location, location, location. Successful bars are few and far between and if its in the wrong location, it will fail before it has even started. You only have to look at the fate of most bars in Thailand. Most fail and most make very little money. Hence the endless birthday parties and special nights to desperately try and attract customers. Last year when I was in Thailand on holiday, so many of the bar owners were suffering. Its the first thing any naive foreigner does when he goes to Thailand. Get hitched and the girl either wants a bar or a hair salon. They then get bored or realise it doesn't make the money they expected, because they didn't do their homework. Although I no longer live in Thailand I did for many years and my advice would be to approach with a lot of caution and make sure you visit the bar you are thinking of, every day of the week. If there is not atleast 5 people in there every night.....stay clear. Perhaps ask your friends and colleagues also if they like to go to the place you are considering. If they don't, stay clear. Check if the other bars near it are busy too. If a bar is up for sale, it is normally because it is failing financially and most of them do, due to bad locations. Check the business for sale sections of any web site......bar for sale "owner going abroad", or "partnership dispute", or some other reason that they make up to sell a dead duck. Good luck but approach with caution !

"Location, location, location" not in the case of the Office Bar off soi 33.

When the Thai owned bars are struggling in Soi 33, the Office Bar is chokka. :D

Why? :D

I'd say normally the case, however since the TV Bar would already have a steady client base who would just show patronage because it was TV. :o

I think that some people are missing the point...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that George is talking about acquiring a bar. I think the idea is to set up a mutually beneficial agreement with an existing business that will result in a symbiotic relationship...

A bar that has the right location, facilities etc would be able to benefit from the sheer weight of numbers/profile that TV could provide. This could only result in a positive effect for the existing business (ie they would not be likely to lose custom due to their affiliation with TV)

TV would benefit from everything that has been mentioned before, thus upping its own profile. My point, as it always has been, is do you consider businesses with a capacity of 50, 100, 200, 500 etc?

Unless I've got it totally wrong, and George is actually looking at acquiring a business that will be TV owned, runned and managed; in which case we are boiling a completely different kettle of fish...

Jez :o

As I say....Good Luck :o It seems there are many professional business people here who know much about bars. It sounds like so many of them have obviously been in that business so i am sure it will be a roaring success. It also seems they will all patronise it every night of the week and support George in his quest for a fun, enjoyable place to all meet. If that is the case fantastic ! It sounds like it will be a massive success and all the people who are writing in this blog will be regular spenders in the bar. So how can it fail..............

I think that some people are missing the point...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that George is talking about acquiring a bar. I think the idea is to set up a mutually beneficial agreement with an existing business that will result in a symbiotic relationship...

A bar that has the right location, facilities etc would be able to benefit from the sheer weight of numbers/profile that TV could provide. This could only result in a positive effect for the existing business (ie they would not be likely to lose custom due to their affiliation with TV)

TV would benefit from everything that has been mentioned before, thus upping its own profile. My point, as it always has been, is do you consider businesses with a capacity of 50, 100, 200, 500 etc?

Unless I've got it totally wrong, and George is actually looking at acquiring a business that will be TV owned, runned and managed; in which case we are boiling a completely different kettle of fish...

Jez :o

Either way, but acquiring a bar sounds great! But we need a place and we need a Manager! If not, the project is bound to fail!

Your input is very valuable. I hope we can find a place and the right person. Could we fill it up with say 20 or 30 thaivisa members in average each day of the week, do you think? I am good at promoting things on the 'net, so I think this is a piece of cake.

20 customers, yes.

20 members, no.

Yeah, I think be hard to get 20-30 thaivisa members in the bar every night, it seems like a tall order.

At the end of the day you need to have a quality bar no matter how expert you are at promoting it on the 'net.

Remember that if the bar goes bad or is not up to scratch then not only will you not get the repeat customers, but word will spread just as easily on the net around this and other forums where you would have promoted it about the 'terrible thaivisa HQ bar'. For members to be loyal to an expat forum on the web is one thing, but being loyal to a bar where they are spending their hard earned cash is another.

Promotion is not everything, a quality bar comes first. Find that and go from there.

Have you even researched this via a poll asking who would use this bar if it was placed in Bangkok? One of the first things you should do with any business is 'market research', before even looking for the bar I should add!

Have you even researched this via a poll asking who would use this bar if it was placed in Bangkok?

That sounds like a good idea to me. But it would be need to be quite a detailed poll - you can be pretty sure that most people posting on this thread who are in Bangkok would check the place out once it had opened, as well as plenty of other members probably, but then it's no good if you get a busy opening week and then the place is dead from then on. So such a survey would need to include questions like "How often would you come", "Would your decision to come be affected by x, y and z", "What location in Bangkok would appeal to you", etc.

But such a poll wouldn't be conclusive because people may well answer "yes" and have every intention of going to the bar, but then maybe they can't be bothered when the bar is actually there up and running, or perhaps they have moved away from Bangkok since they answered. And there are quite a few ThaiVisa members who may not even see the poll: there are a few of our football team players who I've rarely seen posting outside of the football forum, and some players who don't even go on the forum at all. Perhaps send one of the big group emails around to announce that the survey is online and requires input.

Still, you are in the very privileged position in having direct access to the majority of the target market for this bar, it would be foolish not to take advantage of that.

Edited by dantilley

With 25,000 members being asked to contribute say $50 each we would have @ $1,250.000.00 or roughly 50m baht in the kitty to buy out say somewhere like the loss making Robin bstrds bar on Soi 33 and arrange for cheese and biscuits to be delivered (plus some Aussie hot pies )from Villa and even have enough left over to buy a tuk tuk (with TV livery of course)to take the lady members shopping at the Emporium ....er across the road...

just a though........ :D:o

"Location, location, location" not in the case of the Office Bar off soi 33.

When the Thai owned bars are struggling in Soi 33, the Office Bar is chokka. :D

Why? :o

I have not been to the office bar on soi 33 , but I heard it was an aust run bar with most of the big games on the televison.

I go regularly to another aust run bar in soi 7/1 because of his large selection of sports on television. He has a few dishes and decoders so can have multiple matches concurrently. ( and beers on ice ) . This has enabled him to build a regular crowd of residents who patronise his bar plus the tourists who are keen to catch a match or a race.

1st one day final between australia and sri lanka should commence at around 1130 (bkk time) and I definately have plans to sit there and relax while watching it live :D

ThaiVisa Beer Bar??? :o (own dark corner for George, Doc, and Husky)

No seriously I would patronage a TV HQ bar when in BKK, I think good prices are what make a people visit an establishment and a niche environment.

-members can buy a stake - perhaps have a TV mug w/name on it. Use it everytime they visit.

-sports on tele - a must

-live music/dj - once a week (DJPAT???)

-Internet availability

-Good prices, perhaps half it what other bars charge in BKK.