Thai FM Surapong Heads To Dubai

webfact

Surapong heads to Dubai

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul is heading to Dubai to attend an anti-piracy conference today and tomorrow, ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi said yesterday.

The event is hosted by the United Arab Emirates government and DP World, the fourth largest marine port company in the world.

Senior government officials from 50 countries as well as executives of cruise liners would share experiences and ideas on how the government and private sectors can join hands to find a lasting solution to the piracy problem, which threatens national and regional security.

On the sidelines, Surapong would also hold talks with his counterparts from countries in the Middle East and Africa, Thani added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-27

P' Thaksin Khrup, all at the dems party, they just do anything to make us look bad khrup. crying.gif

And they bully Jaja because the call him fatty...so he has no choice than losing weight crying.gif

and.................and...................and.....................

(add your text there)

Boots on the ground. It's time that some asian nations did some heavy lifting. Thailand, China, Japan, Korea, get some crack svengali units in Mogadishu and the provinces going up against Al Shabaab and allied clans - let's go Asia, you can do more than pal around and sip wine and cognac at these conferences. Time for heavy lifting. Pay some dues.

2 to 1 he never gets near the conference.

And if by some fluke he wandered in there he's first question would be is there still pirates?

Step 1...Go and greet master

Step 2...Take order from master

Step 3...Oh master ! I almost forgot, I have this meeting here about anti-piracy! ahahahahahaha

Step 4...No worries, here is short script. Go and read it. You'll be done in no time. Then go back and carry my orders

Step 5...Thank you o great master.... You did not forget my envelope did you?

• Like 1

I know some of you cannot resist using this event as a means to obsess over Mr. Thaksin, but Thailand has been hit by the pirates;

In 2010 Somali pirates held three Thai fishing ships and 77 crew members off the Somali coast after hijacking the vessels. The vessels were owned by PT Interfishery Ltd. a subsidiary of Union Frozen Products Co Ltd (UFP) and 12 Thai nationals were on those ships.

PT Interfishery has a vested interested in access to the ocean where the pirates operate and has put pressure on both the previous Democrat and curret government to be more forceful. This company is not interested in Mr. Thaksin, but is more interested in protecting its interests.

The attendance of the minister at the anti piracy conference is necessary so as to protect Thailand's vested interest.

Now I don't suppose any of you folks frothing at the mouth were even aware of the extent of Thai fishing operations in the region and why piracy is an important issue to Thailand.

Yeeah I know. Can't stop us from assuming Surapong has a second agenda. Anyhow, how can someone with NO foreign policy experience and very poor English become the FM? He must have some other skills useful to the Shin clan.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

I know some of you cannot resist using this event as a means to obsess over Mr. Thaksin, but Thailand has been hit by the pirates;

In 2010 Somali pirates held three Thai fishing ships and 77 crew members off the Somali coast after hijacking the vessels. The vessels were owned by PT Interfishery Ltd. a subsidiary of Union Frozen Products Co Ltd (UFP) and 12 Thai nationals were on those ships.

PT Interfishery has a vested interested in access to the ocean where the pirates operate and has put pressure on both the previous Democrat and curret government to be more forceful. This company is not interested in Mr. Thaksin, but is more interested in protecting its interests.

The attendance of the minister at the anti piracy conference is necessary so as to protect Thailand's vested interest.

Now I don't suppose any of you folks frothing at the mouth were even aware of the extent of Thai fishing operations in the region and why piracy is an important issue to Thailand.

Yep GK, I remember reading about those incidents.

But please be honest, do you think for one second that the FM is going to fly to Dubai, attend the conference and then fly back to Thailand, without squeezing in another little meeting?

And tell us a great sage what good will a buffoon do attending a conference on piracy two years after an isolated event. What's going to make Thailand safer.

You're talking about a Government who turned down help in a massive flood a Government who turned down help from some of the worlds foremost experts on water management.

Do you really think he is going there to learn or in the typical PT way tell the rest of the world how to solve the problem and come home as dumb as the day he left. That is not counting the instructions he will receive from a man in Dubai who hands out favors in envelopes.

• Like 1

Yep GK, I remember reading about those incidents.

But please be honest, do you think for one second that the FM is going to fly to Dubai, attend the conference and then fly back to Thailand, without squeezing in another little meeting?

Oh sure, he might meet Mr. Thaksin. Wouldn't surprise me if he did. What he does on his own time is his business.

However, the immediate knee jerk reaction of denigration, creates the impression of pettiness.

There is an assumption that this thaksin chap is the all powerful wizard. He's not and he's not coming back anytime soon.

Edited by geriatrickid

And tell us a great sage what good will a buffoon do attending a conference on piracy two years after an isolated event. What's going to make Thailand safer.

You're talking about a Government who turned down help in a massive flood a Government who turned down help from some of the worlds foremost experts on water management.

Do you really think he is going there to learn or in the typical PT way tell the rest of the world how to solve the problem and come home as dumb as the day he left. That is not counting the instructions he will receive from a man in Dubai who hands out favors in envelopes.

You keep harping on the floods. This meeting is not about flooding, it is about piracy.

World's foremost experts on flooding? I think Thailand with its centuries of flooding have a good handle on the issue. SE Asia has been coping with flooding since the dawn of civilization. Oh sure you will regurgitate some claim at how good the Dutch are. Well, I suggest you take a look at the topography of Thailand. Thailand has a very different flood exposure than the Nederlands and the cause of flooding is very different. Building a multibillion dollar dyke system to protect from the ocean isn't the issue. It's all about land use and as long as idiots build in run off areas and block drainage, all the experts in the world are not going to help.

As for instructions from Thaksin, I don't think he will give any instructions in respect to the piracy. The minister is attending to represent Thailand's interests.