Vietnam Hands Death Sentence To Thai Drug Trafficker

webfact

Vietnam hands death sentence to Thai drug trafficker

HANOI, June 27, 2012 (AFP) - A court in Vietnam on Tuesday sentenced a Thai design student to death for trafficking three kilos (6.6 pounds) of synthetic drugs into Vietnam, media reports said.

Preeyanooch Phuttharaksa, 23, from Bangkok, told the court in southern Ho Chi Minh City she had smuggled methamphetamine to Vietnam from Benin last October, the Tuoi Tre newspaper said.

She was arrested after the drugs were found in a false bottom in her suitcase.

Preeyanooch said she had been paid 50,000 baht ($1,570) to transport the drugs, the report said.

Communist Vietnam's anti-drug laws are among the world's harshest. There are currently more than 400 prisoners on death row in Vietnam, mostly for cases involving drugs or murder, but executions have declined in recent years.

Five prisoners were executed last year, one for drugs-related offences, according to statistics compiled by AFP.

Since July 2011, when Vietnam changed from execution by firing squad to lethal injection, no prisoners have been put to death.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-06-27

This kind of stuff breaks my heart! These kids KNOW the harsh penalty that will be dealt them, but I don't think it really hits home until they sit in that dank cell with almost no hope of freedom ever again. Young people think they are bulletproof. May it pass quickly . . .

• Like 2

Take the risk, and either reap the rewards or pay the price. Unfortunately some of these people have nowhere to turn to make money. I hope the governments are working towards catching the Mr Bigs, and not just the mules.

• Like 1

Agreed. She knew the risks and gambled on winning. Now she pays the price. Nobody to blame but herself.

I wonder why the Vietnamese changed from a firing squad to a lethal injection? Is it cheaper or does "World Opinion" prefer injections over bullets?

Think of all the lives ruined by the chemical crud that ignorant people smuggle everywhere, severe punishment should be universal and will be a good deterrent as users of hard drugs are increasing and doing destruction to everyone including themselves. Too bad the scientists and chemists of the world don't put their heads together and invent some good drugs that render the evil drugs inert. DREAM ON.

it,s the main dealers that need to be caught , they are probably well protected

walls , within walls .

i hope this young lady spills the beans on the setup ,she has nothing to lose .

wai.gif

I know it is tough but she knew the end result if she did this smuggling of drugs. To end this worldwide problem we need this same law in every country worldwide.

Drugs can kill people and wreck lifes. We don't need more people dead! Very sad.

Edited by Morakot

The thing about these mule arrests that bother me is, every country KNOWS they are just a mule. Some don't even know they have drugs on them and think they are being paid to deliver something else. The boss of the operation just finds new girls and never has problems. The mules spend life in prison or get executed. It is said the drug dealer will often call in and alert them of someone with drugs. They get one girl while 10 pass through.

Twisted system.

Think of all the lives ruined by the chemical crud that ignorant people smuggle everywhere, severe punishment should be universal and will be a good deterrent as users of hard drugs are increasing and doing destruction to everyone including themselves. Too bad the scientists and chemists of the world don't put their heads together and invent some good drugs that render the evil drugs inert. DREAM ON.

Nonsense ... the users get caught with small quantities of drugs and generally get a slap on the wrist. In this case a desperate student tried to make a fast buck buy transporting something people want. Other than people using drugs and operating machinery that could injure or kill innocent people who cares if they do drugs. Making drugs illegal is just as pointless as making riding a motorcycle without a helmet illegal. If you don't care about your health and want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet you should be allowed to. The US tried to make alcohol illegal and that little experiment should have taught everyone in the world how pointless it is to make such things illegal. The only thing the US needed to cure was drinking and driving, which they have done a pretty good job of. Depending on where you live getting arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol will cost between $5,000 and $10,000 for a first offence. Add to the direct cost is the increased cost of insurance over the next 5-10 years and in some cases loosing your job.

As long as there are people that want drugs or alcohol or cigarettes (I can just imagine the increase in crime if they made cigarettes illegal) someone will supply them and the suppliers won't get caught only the desperate mules will.

I know it is tough but she knew the end result if she did this smuggling of drugs. To end this worldwide problem we need this same law in every country worldwide.

I say we need every country to legalise all drugs.

Nonsense ... the users get caught with small quantities of drugs and generally get a slap on the wrist. In this case a desperate student tried to make a fast buck buy transporting something people want. Other than people using drugs and operating machinery that could injure or kill innocent people who cares if they do drugs. Making drugs illegal is just as pointless as making riding a motorcycle without a helmet illegal. If you don't care about your health and want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet you should be allowed to. The US tried to make alcohol illegal and that little experiment should have taught everyone in the world how pointless it is to make such things illegal. The only thing the US needed to cure was drinking and driving, which they have done a pretty good job of. Depending on where you live getting arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol will cost between $5,000 and $10,000 for a first offence. Add to the direct cost is the increased cost of insurance over the next 5-10 years and in some cases loosing your job.

As long as there are people that want drugs or alcohol or cigarettes (I can just imagine the increase in crime if they made cigarettes illegal) someone will supply them and the suppliers won't get caught only the desperate mules will.

Disagree, when looking at the big picture the cost to the economy for traffic deaths/accidents is massive.