London'S Big Ben To Be Renamed Elizabeth Tower In Queen'S Honor

News_Editor

London's Big Ben to be renamed Elizabeth Tower in Queen's honor < br />

2012-06-27 17:42:51 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON (BNO NEWS) -- The famous clock tower in central London, which is known to most as Big Ben, will be renamed Elizabeth Tower in honor of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, officials said on Tuesday. A date for when the renaming will take place was not immediately announced.

While widely referred to as Big Ben, the tower's official name is currently the Clock Tower of the Palace of Westminster. But Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood called on the House of Commons Commission to consider a motion to change the official name to Elizabeth Tower in "recognition of Her Majesty's 60 years of unbroken public service on behalf of her country."

The motion received the support of more than half of MPs, including British Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Prime Minister and Liberal Democrats Leader Nick Clegg and Labour Party leader Ed Miliband. "The scale of celebration about to be witnessed [..] reflects the appreciation and reverence she has earned following an extraordinary life of constant and tireless service to the nation," Ellwood said.

The House of Commons Commission announced on Tuesday it will support the motion, but a date for the official renaming was not immediately announced. "The Commission welcomed the proposal to rename the Clock Tower Elizabeth Tower in recognition of HM The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and would arrange for this decision to be implemented in an appropriate manner in due course," it said in a statement.

Queen Elizabeth is only the second monarch to have reigned over England and the United Kingdom for 60 years. Queen Victoria held the throne for 63 years and 216 days, and the King's Tower - located in the palace's southwest end - was later named Victoria Tower in her honor.

"It therefore seems entirely appropriate for Parliament to pay tribute to her Majesty with a similar honor, and in symmetry, to that bestowed upon Queen Victoria, by dedicating part of the iconic Parliamentary estate in the name of her Majesty," Ellwood said on his website earlier this month.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-27

Big Ben is the bell! I am not being respectful, it will always be BIG BEN to me.biggrin.png

Nothing much of the real London left. Traditional red busses, black cabs and red phone boxes all the things that made London. sad.png

AND most of the property is owned by foreigners w00t.gif

Big ben is the bell, the tower is St Stephen's tower.

I'll remember that one for Quiz Night, thanks!

So basically they are renaming something that most people don't know the name for in the first place? Hmmm

Edited by koheesti
  • Like 1

Big ben is the bell, the tower is St Stephen's tower.

It is not called St Stephen's tower, that was never an official name but only used by some journalists (source: http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/enquiries/ ). Yes, Big Ben is the bell but it is used by many to refer to the whole tower. As the article says the official current name is Clock Tower of Westminster Palace, which will soon change to Elizabeth Tower.

It isn't April 1st so I take this as a serious proposal. The tower has nothing to do with HRH at all. The bell likewise. Can't we name something else after my childhood sweetheart? Maybe one of the magnificent architectural triumphs that have been inflicted on Londoners over the last 50 years, willy bloody nilly. Centre Point?

It isn't April 1st so I take this as a serious proposal. The tower has nothing to do with HRH at all. The bell likewise. Can't we name something else after my childhood sweetheart? Maybe one of the magnificent architectural triumphs that have been inflicted on Londoners over the last 50 years, willy bloody nilly. Centre Point?

Maybe they could rename Canada instead.

• Like 1