Five-year-old Boy Torn Down By Ten Stray Dogs

george

I still say that the incident of stray dogs attacking human beings is very rare. This thread shows what a bunch of heartless folks SOME OF YOU are, with some advocating extermination of all stray dogs. Sad !

Jem

A young boy was disfigured and almost killed by wild animals and you are calling people heartless because they think this threat should be dealt with so another young child doesn't face the same fate. No, your the sad heartless one.

I still say that the incident of stray dogs attacking human beings is very rare. This thread shows what a bunch of heartless folks SOME OF YOU are, with some advocating extermination of all stray dogs. Sad !

Jem

Jem,

you don't live in Thailand and don't have to put up with 1000's of mangey strays threatening residents. (& visitors)

Hi Jem Jem - I have to agree with the majority view here. I can understand your horror from the standpoint of one living overseas in areas where the few strays may be relatively harmless and are often helped by the locals in their area, but in Thailand, we have thousands of these dogs all over the place.

They gather in packs in virtually every soi, and they DO attack people quite often. I know of several friends who have been attacked and bitten by really savage, mangy dogs carrying goodness knows what diseases.

Once bitten it's off to the hospital for treatment of the immediate problem, the bite itself, and then a series of painful (and expensive) rabies shots, and the obvious worry about infection.

Then you have to face the same pack of dogs when you get back, as they are quite often the ones in your own soi that have attacked.

I don't agree that it is only after severe provocation either - the dogs will attack looking for food, or simply as a territorial response - I have young children at home in Bangkok, and there is a pack of dogs that hang around our soi, and at the very least they are incredibly annoying when they start barking outside our house every morning just before dawn. I said, and I mean - EVERY morning!

The dogs are scabby, filthy, smelly, riddled with disease, and leave the roads and footpaths fouled with their droppings. The numbers are enormous too - it is not a simple matter of rounding them up and putting them in pounds - almost every street has at least one pack or more consisiting of anything from 4 or 5 up to 10 dogs - now multiply that by the thousands of sois in Thailand - BIG PROBLEM!

A few is one thing - the thousands (no exageration) we have in Thailand are a definite menace to all.

Hi Jem Jem - I have to agree with the majority view here. I can understand your horror from the standpoint of one living overseas in areas where the few strays may be relatively harmless and are often helped by the locals in their area, but in Thailand, we have thousands of these dogs all over the place.

They gather in packs in virtually every soi, and they DO attack people quite often. I know of several friends who have been attacked and bitten by really savage, mangy dogs carrying goodness knows what diseases.

Once bitten it's off to the hospital for treatment of the immediate problem, the bite itself, and then a series of painful (and expensive) rabies shots, and the obvious worry about infection.

Then you have to face the same pack of dogs when you get back, as they are quite often the ones in your own soi that have attacked.

I don't agree that it is only after severe provocation either - the dogs will attack looking for food, or simply as a territorial response - I have young children at home in Bangkok, and there is a pack of dogs that hang around our soi, and at the very least they are incredibly annoying when they start barking outside our house every morning just before dawn. I said, and I mean - EVERY morning!

The dogs are scabby, filthy, smelly, riddled with disease, and leave the roads and footpaths fouled with their droppings. The numbers are enormous too - it is not a simple matter of rounding them up and putting them in pounds - almost every street has at least one pack or more consisiting of anything from 4 or 5 up to 10 dogs - now multiply that by the thousands of sois in Thailand - BIG PROBLEM!

A few is one thing - the thousands (no exageration) we have in Thailand are a definite menace to all.

it is a serious problem here, i have a circle of about maybe 40 people and once every week someone has a bandage on, I ask them what happened and guess what, they where attacked by a dog, even while riding a motor bike, this is a serious problem in thailand and needs some serious attention, sorry jem jem if this offends you but domestic pets are domestic pets, these are wild animals living on the street, when i see one I cross the road I don't go and pet it.

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. Dog attack is extremely common. In the last year alone both my flatmate and our admin assistant at work were bitten quite badly in unprovoked attacks. A few weeks ago I was walking home at night and one of the dogs in my street ran up and grabbed me behind the knee, also unprovoked (it didn't bite hard enough to penetrate, but scared hel_l out of me anyway). Rabies is a real risk.

At night when it cools down a bit they start getting aggressive and form packs. Being bailed up in the dark by an angry mob is pretty intimidating. Particularly if you get caught on one of the narrow crossover bridges with dogs on either side and nowhere to go except a four metre plunge into the traffic. Man I hate that!

Edited by Crushdepth

I am an animal lover. I feed our neighborhood stray cats daily. When they get tame enough to touch and then to catch, it's off to the Vet to get them fixed, as they are fit and healthy from the food (real cat food), they tend to have big litters. Now the numbers are fairly stable.

Dogs aren't a problem in our moo baan, but outside of it they are and they are so sad. They are sick, mangy and very hungry. The more they eat, the more they breed and the more puppies which get hit by cars, etc.

If people want to help, try to catch them and have them fixed. Then feed and care for them. (I have one stray dog, which I've had for years. But can't really have more since they have to be kept in the garden area where I live (not allowed to run lose).

The life for these strays is not a pleasant one and dogs do form packs and attack. Unhealthy at it's worst and completely unnecessary in a city.

Soi dogs are a problem,agreed. But being afraid of them? No way,the dogs I have met so far have been very easily scared off. And yes,I meet them often,we have two dogs(living indoors with us of course)that I walk in the soi daily. There's a "pack" of dogs in the soi,six or seven usually,they bark at me and the dogs,show their teeth but if I take a step in their direction they run away,annoying but not scary. You should know that dogs don't bark just because they're angry,but also because they're afraid and/or not sure whether you're dangerous to them or not.

I remember reading about a new law to be implemented at new year about registering dogs(asked our vet but he didn't know...),let's hope that it is put to work and soi dogs are rounded up,coz even if they're not scary to me they are scary(and a problem)to others.

Edit:bad typing.

Edited by Lars

Same happend in Bosnia.. etc,etc..

And when i lived in thailand (2 yrs)

i told them, dont feed stray dogs because

it will grow and grow.. but what you do

in buddhism country? Nothing!

None asked you to stay here, GO BACK TO KOSOVO :o

Edited by OZONE

I have never had a problem with stray dogs.I always have packs of dog treats in my motorbike to hand out to strays as I am a big softie.

One thing to remember is never to show you're scared,dogs pick up on this.

I do agree that there is a big problem that needs to be sorted,humanely :o

Has anyone else noticed that a huge percentage of dogs , stray and owned ,really dislike Thai men?

I've always thought that if there was a concerted effort to round up strays and have them fixed, the problem of the sheer number of strays would take care of itself over time.

It is really sickening to see the scumm (misspelt on purpose in case of censoring) on these boards...racists, sexists, anti-gays, people who make jokes about folks getting killed, etc. Now it is the turn of the 'let's kill the stray dogs' bunch.

In my country, I go out of way to feed stray cats and dogs and few things can compare to the joy I see in their eyes when I approach them with food and feed them.

Surely, once in a while, there might be the case of stray dogs attacking human beings...but killing them because of such rare cases ??!!! Sick !

Jem

fine, you feed the dogs in your country and we will kill the mangy flea infested disease ridden strays here.

There was a time when I actually was concerned about walking down my sub soi - especially at night - as a pack had claimed it as their territory and would bark and bare their teeth at anything and everything that walked or drove down it. I am no 30lb weakling by the way. If you offered them food they would have more as likely bitten you.

Fortunately, someone did the rest of the soi a favour one night and they were never seen again.

EXACTLY, there we are: ¨human¨ responsability! And afterwards complaining.

I am a big animal lover but when I see a lot of those Soi dogs suffering than I intend to say: collect them, investigate them and try to find a proper solution to cure and keep them when they have a chance to recover. However, put most of them into sleep because of almost incurable illneses, deseases and wounds. But leave this solution to professionals who are able to do this job in a proper way and no ¨slaughtering or butchering¨!

Has anyone else noticed that a huge percentage of dogs , stray and owned ,really dislike Thai men?

Not really noticed that but every dog I've ever owned hates the dustmen!

I've always thought that if there was a concerted effort to round up strays and have them fixed, the problem of the sheer number of strays would take care of itself over time.

Not while people continue to throw that sweet, cuddly puppy that has now grown up and is no longer sweet and cuddly, out into the street to fend for itself. How many people in LOS won't pay to have their dog sterilised? This also results in a continuing supply of unwanted dogs that become strays.

EXACTLY, there we are: ¨human¨ responsability! And afterwards complaining.

I am a big animal lover but when I see a lot of those Soi dogs suffering than I intend to say: collect them, investigate them and try to find a proper solution to cure and keep them when they have a chance to recover. However, put most of them into sleep because of almost incurable illneses, deseases and wounds. But leave this solution to professionals who are able to do this job in a proper way and no ¨slaughtering or butchering¨!

you won't believe how quickly these dogs recover from their sufferings if treated, almost nothing incurable with these dogs! having worked in a local shelter for a while and also taken in many more dead than alive dogs, it's amazing to see how they can turn into beautiful dogs. for example there was a dog with an open head, brain hanging out full of maggots etc. (sorry for that) the thai vet said no prob he will make it easily :o and after 2 weeks the head was closed and hair started growing there again and there was a happy dog! sometimes it takes a bit of an effort though!

as there are too many strays it is impossible to collect them all and put them in shelters, who would pay for that?? and how many will ever have a new home? in shelters they suffer also: fights, dull food, contracted diseases, boredom etc.

the best solution was if everyone showed a bit of a heart and responsibility and takes just the dogs in his neighbourhood for sterilization. then the problem would be solved soon......

Unfortunately the normal method of controlling stray dogs is poison. NO animal should be subjected to an agonizing death. Dogs DO need to be controlled. Thailand needs to spend some money on dog pounds. Dogs that have had rabies shots are issued a metal tag suitable to be put on a collar. Animal control should be picking up dogs with no collars and if the dogs are not wanted they should be destroyed humanely.

I rather these dogs destroyed humanely than be tortured, beaten senseless and eventually devoured by these vial pigs calling themself human. :o Sorry went off the topic a bit.

Hope the Boy is doing ok. Satuuuuu Satuuuu Satuuuu

So.....Vietnamese aren't human? :D What about if you eat pork, does that mean you are not human?

BTW, who is trying to eat the stray dogs? :D

So I take it in most places they have stopped rounding up the strays as they used to?

When I was on Samet years ago there were packs and packs of dogs but I was informed by one of the local bar owners that they annually rounded up the strays and they were put down - seems they were due another round which is why the problem had got so bad there.

Don't get me wrong I love animals but as had been said on here, a few strays running around is one thing but when you are dealing with packs of up to 20-30 it is a whole different ball game. It is not fair on the dogs to be living like that - never mind when horribile incidents like this happen - and clealry something needs to be done about it!!

In fact this reminds me of a lady who used to live on Phra Atit just behind the monastry at the end of Koh San. She must have had about 20 dogs all tied up and she was just living on the street out of a shopping trolley - the stench of dog and dog cr*p was just unbelievable - I would physically wretch. She used to sew things for people under her make shift awning. When I came back 6 months later she had been moved on but seriously I have never saw anything like it !!

don't know if it's true but here on samui it is said that labourers from the mainland esp. from the north would catch dogs and eat them. many stories about that and many dogs suddenly missing..... we had one lovely dog outside our walled garden, she was friendly to everyone and did not bother passers- by or motorbikes. that's why we let her stay there as she did not do well with some of our other females, mostly she slept at the flower patch just outside the wall. she was a fat, young beautiful thai dog. she would go up to everyone and be petted etc. one day she was just gone, no accident or whatsoever......... :o

My vote goes for destroying stray dogs. I feel a bit sorry for them ... but this is a real problem and should be controlled.

In the temple behind me there are packs of dogs, and someone will go to hospital at least once a year through being savaged. 2 years ago it was my friend, who had his arm ripped up by one dog on his way to work. Last year it was a pair of Sri Lankan monks in the temple itself (I don't suppose the dogs care about that) one of whom trod on a sleeping dog in the dark.

Sorry, but they must be removed IMO

Edited by Abandon

I had a series of rabies shots after a pack of corgi-like dogs grazed me eight years ago in Bangkok while on holiday in Thailand. The injections were intra-muscular - in the arm - not abdominal, and the most painful one was the one in England (About par for 'This won't hurt'.). Thai nurses seem more skilled at injection than British nurses. The vaccine was not very expensive to me (an average farang living in the UK) - it and its injecting fell under the excess level in my travel insurance - and I had enough cash on me to pay for it at the Police Hospital on Rama I Road. The biggest hassle was keeping the vaccine refrigerated as I travelled round the country - it spent the night in its thermos flask in several hotels' chilled drinks cupboards after a quick explanation of 'yaa maa baa' (ยาหมาบ้า), and had a regular supply of ice during the day. The staff at the Police Hospital had advised that provincial hospitals might be out of stock.

If you are bitten by an unknown or unvaccinated dog in Bangkok, do get vaccinated promptly. Don't worry about the pain and expense in Thailand - Thai nurses are very good at well-nigh painless injection.

If you are on holiday and the final injection(s) will be back home, do write to your home physician immediately. It's probably worth sending them a photocopy of your vaccination card. Although I had no problem getting the vaccine in Bangkok, my GP told me that they had great difficulty getting hold of the rabies vaccine in England!

I had a series of rabies shots after a pack of corgi-like dogs grazed me eight years ago in Bangkok while on holiday in Thailand. The injections were intra-muscular - in the arm - not abdominal, and the most painful one was the one in England (About par for 'This won't hurt'.). Thai nurses seem more skilled at injection than British nurses. The vaccine was not very expensive to me (an average farang living in the UK) - it and its injecting fell under the excess level in my travel insurance - and I had enough cash on me to pay for it at the Police Hospital on Rama I Road. The biggest hassle was keeping the vaccine refrigerated as I travelled round the country - it spent the night in its thermos flask in several hotels' chilled drinks cupboards after a quick explanation of 'yaa maa baa' (ยาหมาบ้า), and had a regular supply of ice during the day. The staff at the Police Hospital had advised that provincial hospitals might be out of stock.

If you are bitten by an unknown or unvaccinated dog in Bangkok, do get vaccinated promptly. Don't worry about the pain and expense in Thailand - Thai nurses are very good at well-nigh painless injection.

If you are on holiday and the final injection(s) will be back home, do write to your home physician immediately. It's probably worth sending them a photocopy of your vaccination card. Although I had no problem getting the vaccine in Bangkok, my GP told me that they had great difficulty getting hold of the rabies vaccine in England!

very insightfull post,

mods, i would suggest this information be posted in the holiday thread for new travellers.

as for the injections in england, could not agree with you more, had a mundane tetanus injection ow!!!