Worm And Nightcrawler Farming

I am in thanyaburi just outside of Bangkok, and cannot seem to find anyplace I can get starter stock for growing worms and nightcrawers here. We have the area, and can build containment areas as well as compost for food cuppliment. We want to do this for fishing bait for family and friends. at home I kept worms and nightcrawlers in a screened in area 3 feet deep and changed dirt and fed with manure and compost mixed with dirt. I just need to know where to get some stock for a start!

There is a poster here called Wormfarmer or something like that. Maybe worth contacting him.

Other than that, if you set aside an area and dig in compost and manure, you obviously already know the conditions that they like, the worms will come.

Edit - I see that Wormfarmer has posted at the same time as me

Edited by loong

There is a poster here called Wormfarmer or something like that. Maybe worth contacting him.

Other than that, if you set aside an area and dig in compost and manure, you obviously already know the conditions that they like, the worms will come.

You'll get worms, but not compost worms, which is what nightcrawlers are and what you need for composting. What you'll get will be local earthworms, which don't have the big appetites that compost worms have. WF

You'll get worms, but not compost worms, which is what nightcrawlers are and what you need for composting. What you'll get will be local earthworms, which don't have the big appetites that compost worms have. WF

When I was living near Surat Thani on my wife's siter's farm they had night crawlers. Either that or they were the largest earthworms I have ever seen. about 7 to 8 inches long.

The most effective worm farming is done with "red wigglers," but I am not sure if you can buy them in bait shops.

Define "most effective" - Yes red wigglers, (otherwise called red tigers, tiger worms, or Eisenia fetida) are good compost worms, they are top feeders and are hungry - meaning they produce lots of worm cast, they also multiply quickly: so if your aim is either to breed worms or to produce wormcast they are "effective". However, the same can be said for other compost worms such as African nightcrawlers (Eudrilus eugeniae) and Indian Blue worms (Perionyx excavatus). In a temperate climate the European nightcrawlers (Eisenia hortensis or Dendrobaena veneta are also effective, but they don't like the tropics.

• 2 weeks later...

Changing the thread alittle anyone know any thing about farming meal worms there good protein for pig food ( the Thais probably eat them as well )

Not sure what mealworms are exactly. You can certainly grow Black soldier fly larvae in compost, so it shouldn't be too difficult to set up a farm for these. I am thinking that I will have to do something lke this, I left my compost heap uncovered and the local chickens totally ripped it apart, probably because it had such a healthy population of bsf larvae.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Both cow and pig shyt is used for compost about my place. The worms can go find their own food.????????

Oh you crazy buffalo, no, no, no! Take some of your finished compost and let the worms at it, talk about value added. Now I mean finished, not matured compost, the castings you get are way better fertiliser that will not burn anything.... yardy, yardy, yar...

• Haha 1