Cost Of Living In Chiang Mai, Update, Summer 2012

Cyrus2Ray

total BS all doctors ive ever seen here went to university in USA or western countries but then I only use top private clinics and hospitals. I would not even send my mother in law to a government place unless its one of excellent ones which also have the ;private clinic practice behind government part. Much like UK if your lucky you can get best on NHS but to be sure you need to pay for it. Difference is here its not so expensive. In UK or USA I would have no choice 100k $ or GBP for something ere costs 10k

Then you've not seen many doctors here! If you dig into the subect a little deeper you'll see that 99% or more went to university here in Thailand although many did do additional training (typically courses only) in the US, UK, EU or Australia, if you're in doubt about this then please feel free to read the CV's of any/all doctors on the Bumrungrad Hospital site as a starter.

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't know how I could live here on a 100k per month.

No1, it doesn't sound like you are one of the 99 percent.

161212_1732530626_906439413_n.jpg

LOL, you're far off. A one percenter would have a bit more than the average income. Correct me if I am wrong.

150k THB exchanges to $5k. The average income in Norway is about $7k/month, in Germany maybe $5k, even in Spain it's still around $3k. People spend it on taxes, health care, houses, cars, vacation, gadgets etc. My point is: if you want to maintain the same standard of living in Thailand as you are used to in the western world, you really have to spend the same or more. A lot of the Thai domestic products would not satisfy a European average customer. So you have to pay even more for the importation.

• Like 1

Do it for less and it will not be a reasonable western lifestyle

My point is: if you want to maintain the same standard of living in Thailand as you are used to in the western world, you really have to spend the same or more.

... and here I thought the reason for living in Thailand was to live more of a Thai lifestyle. My bad.

But the 900 THB per year insurance on the truck is only the government compulsory insurance that only pays up to 250K THB. You need an additional policy that covers up to 10-20 million THB in medical expenses if god forbid you hit someone and injure them. Even that is not much money per year. I think our 3rd class policy is only around 2500-2800 THB per year.

You don't NEED any extra insurance at all ................ it's just a way to remove money from those who have too much.

Nonsense. If you get into an accident and injure someone severely, the 250K compulsory will only cover a couple of days of care. What if the victim needs neurosurgery, long-term rehabilitation??? What if it is a child that you injure? Mai bpen rai??? Then a court judgment will be decided against you and you will lose everything to your name (in Thailand).

........ which is nothing.

It's called an accident, not deliberate so no financial liability (this isn't America where everything is always someones fault).

If you have government compulsory, they can't get a judgment against you (yes, I know some Thais try and pull a fast one with gullible foreigners)

My wife is the main driver of our car, she doesn't have a driving license, so insurance won't pay out anyway.

whistling.gif

Where did you get this information?

MSPain

Edited by hml367

TommoPhysicist #115; 119 elektrified #116;120

Thank you; those were great summaries. And your extended conversation, where you covered some additional details, gives readers really much better understanding of the details. It is so funny, nothing in this life seams to be black and white. Well actually I just thought of one... [but it is sort of unrelated]

• Like 1

But the 900 THB per year insurance on the truck is only the government compulsory insurance that only pays up to 250K THB. You need an additional policy that covers up to 10-20 million THB in medical expenses if god forbid you hit someone and injure them. Even that is not much money per year. I think our 3rd class policy is only around 2500-2800 THB per year.

You don't NEED any extra insurance at all ................ it's just a way to remove money from those who have too much.

Nonsense. If you get into an accident and injure someone severely, the 250K compulsory will only cover a couple of days of care. What if the victim needs neurosurgery, long-term rehabilitation??? What if it is a child that you injure? Mai bpen rai??? Then a court judgment will be decided against you and you will lose everything to your name (in Thailand).

It's called an accident, not deliberate so no financial liability (this isn't America where everything is always someones fault).

If you have government compulsory, they can't get a judgment against you (yes, I know some Thais try and pull a fast one with gullible foreigners)

My wife is the main driver of our car, she doesn't have a driving license, so insurance won't pay out anyway.

Wrong. No country in the world will let you get away with breaking someone's neck and not assuming responsibility. Someone will have to pay or go to prison.

... and here I thought the reason for living in Thailand was to live more of a Thai lifestyle. My bad.

Can't we just come to see and sense some parts of their life, culture and enjoy their friendliness without any need to live Thai lifestyle whatever this could be? I thought Thai lifestyle is for Thai people.

It is still a very poor country and Thai life comes with many hardships which I am not willing to put up with nor would I want to miss the comfort of technological and economic achievements of the Western world. (Hey, they love their iphones, too, don't they?)

Edited by No1

So if you have a crash I hope you have a spare 200,000 baht kicking about to pay for your bail while waiting for a court appearance. One of the main reason i have full insurance (even third party will cover it) is for 'bail bond' cover.

I had to 'like' your recent posts. The first couple ones I thought '<deleted>?!' like kids only costing 1K per month.. (Just her ballet class is 1K a month) but I'm now seeing the humor in them, and it's all good. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

electric mans opening quote was to brag about his 13 room us house and then his 9 room cm house which a third is a business for his wife

hardly a home which was part of the original question

i didnt think as most of us i guess, i could be wrong that the original poster was wanting a 9 room house never the less i am now curious

i would like to know what a 9 room house costs as again this was part of the original question being how much to live in cm

not how much to live in cm if you have a business

Do it for less and it will not be a reasonable western lifestyle

My point is: if you want to maintain the same standard of living in Thailand as you are used to in the western world, you really have to spend the same or more.

..... and here I thought the reason for living in Thailand was to have sex with much younger and prettier women people than you could have in your home country. My bad.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

electric mans opening quote was to brag about his 13 room us house and then his 9 room cm house which a third is a business for his wife

hardly a home which was part of the original question

i didnt think as most of us i guess, i could be wrong that the original poster was wanting a 9 room house never the less i am now curious

i would like to know what a 9 room house costs as again this was part of the original question being how much to live in cm

not how much to live in cm if you have a business

That is part of the reality of CM, a house cost little more, if not less to rent than a 1 bedroom apt. (western style) you pay 6000 ? You can rent a house for that. You will need to invest in all the extras though, I rented until last year a 3bed,3 bath 3 story town house for 10,000. in the city.... a bit out of town, prices plumit. or you can have as much luxury as you can afford. Edited by daoyai

So if you have a crash I hope you have a spare 200,000 baht kicking about to pay for your bail while waiting for a court appearance. One of the main reason i have full insurance (even third party will cover it) is for 'bail bond' cover.

I have a lot of spare time, a spell in Thai prison can be looked on as an opportunity to practice your Thai language skills and meet useful new contacts. And of course you are assuming I would hang around after a crash ...... something I would only do if my vehicle and my legs were both disabled. I find the Thai way best in most Thai situations.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I have a lot of spare time, a spell in Thai prison can be looked on as an opportunity to practice your Thai language skills and meet useful new contacts. And of course you are assuming I would hang around after a crash ...... something I would only do if my vehicle and my legs were both disabled. I find the Thai way best in most Thai situations.

Well if crime is your game that is the place to make the contacts. That is on both sides of the bars.

And if you want to lose a little weight it will help you out.

Can't we just come to see and sense some parts of their life, culture and enjoy their friendliness without any need to live Thai lifestyle whatever this could be? I thought Thai lifestyle is for Thai people.

It is still a very poor country and Thai life comes with many hardships which I am not willing to put up with nor would I want to miss the comfort of technological and economic achievements of the Western world. (Hey, they love their iphones, too, don't they?)

He said more of a Thai life style not all of it.

I live more of a western style with a lot of Thai mixed in. I have been here for 6 years and I suspect as time passes I will adopt more Thai life styles. But I will still insist on a certain level of western comfort.

• Like 1

As for my situation.. I am single and not looking either,... just want a peaceful and safe place for my 2 cats and myself ... actually the safety and comfort of my cat friends are just as important as my own ... and having a descent internet connection since that is my life line ... and as long as my residence is clean and neat and happy with positive energy and uplifting for my soul, .... then I am a happy man !

I can easily give up many of the western culture comforts if they are part of the not-so-necessary based on my criteria mentioned above.

Whatever happened to " when in Rome, do as the Romans do " ??!!

I do need transportation, a moped to start till I am sure that I am going to stay and then a car for sure, but then again a simple car will do for me as long as it is safe enough to get me from point A to point B, and I am not planning on going to a car show or a car race with it either.

Food, well... I love foreign or rather ethnic food as we call it in US, and I happen to love Mexican, Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, and all sorts of international dishes - as long as the meat part is not some strange creature that I am not used to eating, same as like most other people from the west -, and I am happy with simple but healthy dishes in simple down-to-earth but clean restaurants.

I have long wanted to become a vegetarian, and will work on it once I live in CM, so I can have lots of fresh fruits and vegetables which happen to be plentiful and rather inexpensive in local markets.

As far as bar, well.... I am not really a bar hopper at all ! and would rather spend my time outdoors in fresh air, even as a get together to chat with friends, so my monthly expenses would be really minimal in that department.

As for shopping for clothes... almost none ! because I have enough quality clothes to last me for years, ... probably far more clothes than a person should be allowed to have in the closet at one time...so no need to buy anymore.

These are my main points for living in CM, and so again back to the original question, I think I should be OK there.

By the way, the 30k can always change for me, but I mentioned that because I thought it would be a good benchmark since there are probably lots of people, from around the world, who would like to move to Chiang Mai if they knew that they can manage a descent life style on or around that budget level per month...

Sorry, may be we should not spread the word too much !!!! too many newcomers ( like me in the future ) and Chiang Mai will no longer be the wonderful place that it is now .... so let's continue this conversation as quietly as we can !!!

Edited by Cyrus2Ray
  • Like 1

These are my main points for living in CM, and so again back to the original question, I think I should be OK there.

I think you'll be OK there too.

When are you moving?

I will be coming to Thailand to work as a volunteer for a wonderful grassroots charity non-profit Thai organization, and upon the end of my volunteer time I would like to move to Chiang Mai, so in the very near future I hope.

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

just to reiterate ..... ( because I regret the original choice of my words )

" ....By the way, I mentioned "farang" because of my lack of experience, but "expat" would be a better and more respectful word to use perhaps.

"high-rollers", another word that could be replaced with " expats with higher incomes", - just to avoid a possible negative connotation associated with the word...."

• Like 1

But I will still insist on a certain level of western comfort.

Me too, good Internet access, flush toilet and heated shower .......... everything else is bearable

These are a very minimum "given" level of expectation ... I agree.

• Like 1

just to reiterate ..... ( because I regret the original choice of my words )

" ....By the way, I mentioned "farang" because of my lack of experience, but "expat" would be a better and more respectful word to use perhaps.

"high-rollers", another word that could be replaced with " expats with higher incomes", - just to avoid a possible negative connotation associated with the word...."

expat farong makes no difference to me. That is just a part of the culture I have no problem with. As for high roller I really think expats with higher incomes is better. elektrified has a fair amount for a person with only a family of three. But I would consider it just a expat with more wants than me and a higher income.

You said earlier

"As for my situation.. I am single and not looking either,... just want a peaceful and safe place for my 2 cats and myself ... actually the safety and comfort of my cat friends are just as important as my own ... and having a descent internet connection since that is my life line ... and as long as my residence is clean and neat and happy with positive energy and uplifting for my soul, .... then I am a happy man !"

I would have to say it makes no difference where you live those are the conditions you will have to create for your self. Considering you are not here yet are you sure you will need transportation? I have been here 6 years and have no transportation. I do have a Thai wife who I did buy a motor bike for. Perhaps look around before you settle down and yes 30,000 baht is doable. I spend a lot more but I do treat myself to a lot of things I could do with out. For instance I will pay 150 baht for a movie at airport mall when I could go to KSG for 90 baht. Cost of transportation is the same but I don't like the theater at KSG. I do have a budget and some times I go over it but I ca afford it so I do not let it bother me.

Whatever happened to " when in Rome, do as the Romans do " ??!!

Not good advice you will be on the wrong side of the road and there is not that many Italians speaking people here.rolleyes.gif Actually I don't think you could live like a lot of the Thai's. That is a judgement I made based on the things you have said you need.

But I will still insist on a certain level of western comfort.

Me too, good Internet access, flush toilet and heated shower .......... everything else is bearable

These are a very minimum "given" level of expectation ... I agree.

OK I got to admit it but I do watch TV about 6 hours a week and have a huge amount of videos that I rarely watch but occasional I will watch one. For instance I brought back a collection of over 100 westerns and have probably seen 10 of them in the ten months I have been back.

For instance I will pay 150 baht for a movie at airport mall when I could go to KSG for 90 baht. Cost of transportation is the same but I don't like the theater at KSG.

For a senior over 60, the cost of a cinema ticket at Airport Plaza is only 80 Baht for a regular seat and 100 Baht for a better seat with more legroom at the back. For a digital movie it's 110 Baht. You just show any form of ID that confirms your age......though you probably prefer to pay the extra. Vista at KSK very rarely show movies in English any more, they are all dubbed in Thai, when were you last there?

expat farong makes no difference to me. That is just a part of the culture I have no problem with. As for high roller I really think expats with higher incomes is better. elektrified has a fair amount for a person with only a family of three. But I would consider it just a expat with more wants than me and a higher income.

Thanks for considering me a "high roller". I only wish... What makes you think you know what my income is any way???

What a bizarre post!

Thanks for considering me a "high roller". I only wish... What makes you think you know what my income is any way???

What a bizarre post!

That's one of the charming things about Chiang Mai for someone who isn't a high roller in their own country. Here if you spend 100K baht per month you're hi-so, a high roller, and your conspicuous consumption is the target of contempt from fellow farangs who know in their hearts that they spend the correct amount each month and that anyone who spends more must be a fool. But take that 100K per month back to your home country, and you're just another guy shopping at Walmart.

What a bizarre post!

That's one of the charming things about Chiang Mai for someone who isn't a high roller in their own country. Here if you spend 100K baht per month you're hi-so, a high roller, and your conspicuous consumption is the target of contempt from fellow farangs who know in their hearts that they spend the correct amount each month and that anyone who spends more must be a fool. But take that 100K per month back to your home country, and you're just another guy shopping at Walmart.

Indeed that is so true...

All I said in the entire thread is that I can't live on 30K THB because I have a family, school expenses, etc. and he has me pinned as a 'high roller'!

What a bizarre post!

Many apologies here I absent mindedly left out the word not. I do not consider you a high roller. And I for sure Don't know your income. But I do know mine and I could not afford a nine room home with a truck and two or three motor bikes. Plus a wife and a child.

In my opinion based on what you have claimed about your self a high roller would probably consider you a poor man. But that's just my idea of a high roller

So sorry for the mistake it was unintentional.

Moderator if you would go back and put the word not in where I said a high roller I would be very grateful.

I would have said I like your answer

"What a bizarre post!"

But I used up my quota of I likes for the day and when I tried to find out I was referred to three links by a moderator with a total of 177 posts that did not answer the question. Also one reply from some one who dosen't think only being allowed so many likes a day does not apply to Chiang Mai.

Now that is what I would say "What a bizarre post!"

Edited by hellodolly