Visa Expiring - Options.

Hi,

I'm living in Chiang Mai, and am currently coming to the end of my Non-Imm 'B' visa (9th July).

I'm married to a Thai national, and we're both in our 20's.

This was a single entry 90-day Non-Imm 'B' visa that I obtained in KL. Previous to this my wife and I had been in London for three years. Prior to that I have a handfull of tourist visas.

I'm employed on a commission basis and as a result, I'm currently not on a Work Permit. The Film Authority issues work permits per project.

Getting full-time Work Permit from my employer will mean I have to register to pay tax etc. Which will be around 54,000 baht a year based on the minimum declarable income of 45,000 per month. We went through this with the WP office in Chiang Mai and my employer.

The other option is a Non-Imm Type 'O' (Married to Thai National). The only issue would be the 400,000 Baht in a Thai account for more than two months... I opened my first Thai account (Kasikorn) last week... And have not transferred any substantial money over from the UK yet.

I was considering heading to KL, getting a 60-Day tourist visa that I can extend to 90 in Chiang Mai if needed. And during this time make the appropriate money transfer to fulfil the 400,000 Bath in account for two months requirement. Once I've hit two months, apply for the Non-Imm 'O' (Can I switch from Tourist to Non-Imm 'O' in Thailand?).

Can anyone see any flaws or suggest and easier option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards, Tom.

You should be able to get a 60 day extension at Immigration based on having a Thai spouse.

This will give time to put money in the bank.

You could then apply for a 12 month extension.

Alternatively you can apply for a Non Imm O Multi Entry Visa at Savanakhet Laos or KL

This would give up to 15 months stay but would mean a border run every 90 days.

Unless you can get 400k into bank account by next week the 60 day extension will not help long term plans - but if you can use the 400k for extension of stay all you would need is one single non immigrant O visa entry so a trip (perhaps to Laos) to obtain might be best as that would cover current period plus allow extension without further visa requirements. If in any doubt of being able to extend the multi entry from Savannakhet would be your best option as you could still extend during last 30 days of any 90 day entry.

Does the Film Authority have a special dispensation to allow foreign employees to work with out Work Permits?

Be careful as you may currently be working illegally, the Non B Visa you have gives you no legal right to work per se; at worst you are at risk of a fine from 2,000 to 100,000 THB, up to five years imprisonment and deportation/black listing.

Not 100% sure, but reading other posts..

Married to a Thai, going to Savannakhet Laos, they need marriage certificate and copy, copy of were you live [blue book?] letter from wife and copy i.d of wife......... 1 year marriage visa no proof of money in Bank asked for.......

K.L Malaysia same as above but want to see 100,000 in Bank

If you have money outside Thailand it might be possible for you to get an income document proving an income of 40K baht per month for the extension.

If from the UK as I suspect they do issue income letters at the embassy based upon savings from info posted. That would mean showing 480K (40X12) or more in the bank.

Once you get the extension you can still get a work permit with an extension based upon marriage. If you get a work permit and pay taxes you could prove your income for the next extension by showing tax payments.

Edited by ubonjoe

You can get a 1 time 60 day extension for purpose of visiting your wife at immigration

No income required but I understand thAt immigration will only give this type extension once then you will need to have funds in bank for 1 yr extension or go overseas for 90 day non O

60 day extension should be available on any stay (just not on itself). But some offices will set limits - there is no more "one time" wording in regulation as there was prior to police order 777/2551.

The blue book requirement at Consulates for non immigrant O visa issue is that of the Thai spouse - foreigners are not normally listed in such - and often will not be where you live with wife but her family home. It is used as further proof of having an ongoing marriage.

Does the Film Authority have a special dispensation to allow foreign employees to work with out Work Permits?

Hi,

No, but the Film Authority is able to approve Work Permits and grant work permits. These are then issued by the local WP/Labour office. The difference to a standard WP is that they can be issued regardless of your visa. They are only normally issued to feature films that are considered to be important (economically) for Thailand. $10m+ budget. But I've had them for commercials before.

Married to a Thai, going to Savannakhet Laos, they need marriage certificate and copy, copy of were you live [blue book?] letter from wife and copy i.d of wife......... 1 year marriage visa no proof of money in Bank asked for.......

Can anyone confirm this? I know the official stance is 400k in a Thai account for two months. I've got an official letter from Chiang Mai Immigration to that effect.

Can anyone confirm this? I know the official stance is 400k in a Thai account for two months. I've got an official letter from Chiang Mai Immigration to that effect.

You must understand the difference between a One Year Extension of Permission to Stay (issued by your local Immigration Dept inside of Thailand) and a Visa issued by a Consulate/Embassy outside of Thailand - two completely different entties.

With an Extension you can stay for one year but must report to immigration for each 90 day period you continuously remain in Thailand (you need a Re-entry Permit to preserve the Extension should you leave Thailand within the one year period), with a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry Category Visa you must leave/re-enter Thailand at least every 90 days and will get a new 90 day stamp each time you enter with a valid visa.

400K in the bank is the requirement for a Police Order 777/2551 Section 2.18 Extension of Permission to Stay.

As regards outside of Thailand some Consulates ask for no money, some 100K and some 400K.

Edited by digitalchromakey

• 2 weeks later...

Right...

I'm currently in Kuala Lumpur, fresh from the embassy to apply for my 1-year Multiple entry Non-O visa.

I handed in my forms and the lady said I could only get single entry because. And this infuriates me. My bank statement was printed by me and not in a branch of my bank. I tried to explain that my bank is an online-only bank. And they have no physical branches. She didn't care.

I'm now sitting in a cafe on Jalan Ampang and have noticed that on my visa receipt. It says that I'm due to collect a Non-B visa... But just to be clear, all I submitted was my information, my wife's information, our UK bank account info, and our wedding certificates.

So tomorrow, when I go to collect, it's anyones guess what I'll actually get.

If I get a Non-B single or a Non-O single. Am I then able to change these to a Non-O multi in Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Edited by vexape

No you can not change to a multi entry inside Thailand. But if you have 400k in Thai account 2 months or 40k per month income you can extend during the last 30 days of entry for one year at a cost of 1,900 baht using TM.7 form and normal Thai wife paperwork.

No you can not change to a multi entry inside Thailand. But if you have 400k in Thai account 2 months or 40k per month income you can extend during the last 30 days of entry for one year at a cost of 1,900 baht using TM.7 form and normal Thai wife paperwork.

Will the extension be single entry or multi?

Extension allows no entry. If you wish to travel you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving. Single is 1,000 and multi is 3,800 baht.

That makes sense. So if I wanted to have the same effective visa a a Non-O multi. I could take my Non-O single to Chiang Mai immigration. Obtain a 1-year extension. And then obtain a multi-entry permission on top if that?

So I would after that in effect be able to come in and out as needed on a Non-O visa...?

wai.gif

Two different things being talked about here.

The VISA that gets you into the country is from Savannakhet and can be a 1 year multi-entry Non immigrant O visa.

Savannakhet has been known to issue these visas without any financial requirement with proof of marriage to a Thai national and supporting documents required .

However, be aware they MAY not issue you a 1 year multi-entry, but instead issue you a visa for 90 days. Then you can extend that in Thailand at your local immigration for one year based on your marriage to a Thai.

It's that extension in Thailand that actually requires the 400K Thai Baht....not the original visa that gets you into the country.

The best deal for you would probably be that one year multi-entry visa....because it gives you more time to get your financial details and the paperwork required done. But don't turn down the 90 day visa if that's all they will give you....you'll just have to work quicker to get everything done and apply for the extension in country.

Currently, however, people are getting that 1 year multi-entry visa based on marriage....that's why it is mentioned, Just understand that there is no gaurentee they will give you that 1 year visa however.

If you do get that 1 year multi-entry Non O visa....you will get a stamp on entry for 90 days on each entry during that year.

That means every 90 days you will need to exit Thailand, turn around, and re-enter. That will get you another 90 day "permitted to stay" until ---(date)----stamp in your passport. Pay careful attention to that date. If you try to exit and re-enter on the 91st day instead of the 90th you'll be out of luck. All you'll get then is the same 14 day landentry a tourist without a visa would get.

biggrin.png

Extension allows no entry. If you wish to travel you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving. Single is 1,000 and multi is 3,800 baht.

That makes sense. So if I wanted to have the same effective visa a a Non-O multi. I could take my Non-O single to Chiang Mai immigration. Obtain a 1-year extension. And then obtain a multi-entry permission on top if that?

So I would after that in effect be able to come in and out as needed on a Non-O visa...?

Yes but what you would be using is that re-entry permit (which acts as a visa for entry) and receiving your same current permitted to stay stamp time on each new entry so immigration officer will have to reset his date stamp each time.

That means every 90 days you will need to exit Thailand, turn around, and re-enter. That will get you another 90 day "permitted to stay" until ---(date)----stamp in your passport. Pay careful attention to that date. If you try to exit and re-enter on the 91st day instead of the 90th you'll be out of luck. All you'll get then is the same 14 day landentry a tourist without a visa would get.biggrin.png

If a person departs after the 90 day permit to stay date they would be fined 500 baht per day for overstay. But would will be allowed to re-enter the country using the visa. An overstay does not invalidate any visa.

A person can also get a single entry non-o visa and then get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit their wife if they need additional time before getting their extension of stay.