Bangkok US Independence Day Celebrations

Sunbelt Asia

It’s that time of the year again for food and fun! The American Independence Day celebrations will be held 12:00 noon till 8 pm on Saturday, July 7 at KIS (Knowledge Inspiration School) in Huai Kwang, located at Pracha-Utit Road, Kesinee Ville. There is no parking at the event but you may use public transport to the FREE shuttle running all day to/from the Huai Kwang MRT station. The USA’s Independence Day Celebration is one of the funnest social events on the American expat community's calendar!

American Rock, Blues and Folk will play all afternoon, provided by Bangkok Soul Jets, Lovebone, Mekong Dr. Blues and the Groove Junkies, Peter Driscoll & The Cruisers, Soi Dogs Blues Band, and Wildside, so come down and get funky! Or join in family games like the egg toss, 3 legged races, bingo, watermelon eating contest and tug of war. Kids will have a great day with face painting, clowns, a giant wave slide, a rodeo bull, cotton candy and popcorn.

A full BBQ with real American hot dogs, burgers and ribs, along with the famous apple pie from Sunrise Tacos and ice cream from Dairy Queen and an American Beer selection will be provided. While Sunrise Tacos, Anantara Bangkok Riverside, Roadhouse Barbecue, and others will be there to make sure you are happy and full! The 4rd Annual I-Day Chili Cook-Off always brings out the best amateur chefs and if you think your 5-alarm chili is the best then sign up for the contest and put it to the test. The US Marines will be there to raise Old Glory and help us to salute the Red, White and Blue. The event is always fun and a great place for friends and family of all nationalities to enjoy a traditional American celebration.

Entrance tickets can be purchased in advance from AMCHAM and at all AMCHAM events (200 baht) or on the day at the event for 300 Baht. Children under 12 are free. Please visit www.amchamthailand.com/ for further details or Kittie at 02-254-1041 Ext. 226

Children under 12 are free.

post-2725-0-92241900-1340898850_thumb.jp post-2725-0-66458800-1340898868_thumb.jp

Just wondered if anyone has any comments on previous celebrations regarding this event. From the photos and activity list it seems to be suited more for the younger crowd!

There is no mention about food cost from the vendors. Just wondering what to expect cost wise for a familly of four. Entrance to the event at the door appears to be 1200 Baht for a familly of 4.

Does it take place rain or shine?

Many thanks,

• Like 1

*Deleted Quote edited out*

The chili is almost enough to get me to go. Haven't had a good bowl of chili since I moved here. Will they have Fritos?

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

One bad thing about that location -- they're not allowed to shoot off fireworks. (At least they weren't the last two years.) Kind of anticlimactic -- a 4th of July party with no fireworks. But good bands this year. And the Sam Adams beer is great! I remember last year one guy tried to buy a case of it as they were shutting down. One very officious embassy guy told him "All of the unsold beer must by law go back to the embassy commissary!" lol

The last time I went was 2002 or so. It was always a fun event. Lots of nice food. Ironically it is now almost at walking distance from where I life but last 2 years couldnt get there. Will try for it this year.

W

Too bad I am currently in China. It would be great to catch the event. I havent had a decent 4th of July in a long time. You guys are going to have fireworks?

Why is it I am always out of town when the red shirts protest and there are good events to catch??

Hope of the rest of you guys have a blast!

Independence Day - nice that BKK has a celebration every year for us Americans.

It's also fishing for flames it seems. However I always get a good laugh from the flames. I love that type of humor.

I think you are mistaken. Bangkok does not have an annual celebration for the Americans. The Americans have a celebration for themselves.

Just the same as the Brits, Canadians, SPanish etc.

Bagwan, they had beer the last two years there!! And if Sam Adams is available, it ain't sody pop.

Mac

Why are you allowed to buy alcohol on an election day when others can't? Oops. TIT. Double standards. I demand the right to be able to buy beer on St. Georges Day even if there is what passes for an election. laugh.png

It's also fishing for flames it seems. However I always get a good laugh from the flames. I love that type of humor.

I think you are mistaken. Bangkok does not have an annual celebration for the Americans. The Americans have a celebration for themselves.

Just the same as the Brits, Canadians, SPanish etc.

when is Brits celebration day? As a Brit if i were in BKK would certainly attend for the grub alone, looks like a good day out. You need to start and put some alchohol in the American beer though. Happy 4th July to you all.

It's "humour" mate biggrin.png

I am so disappointed that the consulate in Chiang Mai has given up on hosting a celebration sad.png

Big celebrations at the new riverside market, Chiang mai, but the band is Australian and British....woops,one American.The consul will probably be there..

Edited by yummypizza

• 10 months later...