Sukampol Dismisses Rumours Of Top General Conspiring To Oust Thai Govt

webfact

Sukampol dismisses rumours of top general conspiring to oust govt

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat yesterday dismissed rumours about a top Army general and a coalition MP conspiring to topple the government.

"I should not be asked to comment on every rumour that is circulated at coffee shops," he said.

Sukampol refused to speculate on how or why red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana had chosen to spread such rumours.

Kwanchai alleged that Army deputy chief General Dapong Ratanasuwan had recently met with Chart Thai Pattana MP Sanan Kachornprasart to plot the government's ouster. This meeting allegedly took place at Bonanza Khao Yai resort in Nakhon Ratchasima.

Sukampol said he was certain that the Army would not have a hand in trying to usurp power and there should really be no question of a military intervention because Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha had ruled out any chance of a power seizure, he added.

Dapong, meanwhile, has said that it was unfair to link him to the rumour because he was not close to Sanan and had never been to the resort in question. He added that he did have a few work-related meetings with Sanan when he served as deputy PM under the previous government. The two have not been in touch since the Pheu Thai Party came to power, Dapong said.

While discussing the conspiracy, however, Kwanchai was unable to explain three crucial issues: how the Dapong-Sanan connection had developed, why would the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party want to oust this government and why would the meeting take place at a resort that is considered a stronghold of the red shirts.

As for Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej's prediction about the government collapsing by the year's end, his former adviser Prasang Mongkonsiri said he believed that Suchart was basing his prediction on the insurmountable obstacles he faced in trying to implement education reforms.

"Bureaucratic red tape is a major challenge for a minister to overcome in order to ensure progress as pledged to the people," he said.

Prasang said that though Suchart was capable, he was unfit as education minister because he was unwilling to upset the apple cart by rooting out corruption. He said he expected veteran politicians like Chaturon Chaisang, Pongthep Thepkancha and Pongsak Ruktapongpisal as potential candidates to replace Suchart.

A new Cabinet line-up should emerge by August, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kwanchai was unable to explain

A commonly encountered assessment of Red Shirt Leader Kwanchai's various pronouncements.

We're all still waiting for him to explain why a previous proclamation of his that Thaksin would definitely return to Thailand in December 2011 never transpired.

:coffee1:

When Kwanchai speaks, CH4 comes out

A commonly encountered assessment of Red Shirt Leader Kwanchai's various pronouncements.

We're all still waiting for him to explain why a previous proclamation of his that Thaksin would definitely return to Thailand in December 2011 never transpired.

coffee1.gif

KWanchAI ?

Prasang said that though Suchart was capable, he was unfit as education minister because he was unwilling to upset the apple cart by rooting out corruption. He said he expected veteran politicians like Chaturon Chaisang, Pongthep Thepkancha and Pongsak Ruktapongpisal as potential candidates to replace Suchart.

'unwilling to upset the apple cart' and 'veteran politicians to replace'

Why does the term oxymoron comes to mind?

Totally dysfunctional Gov. The Thai people would be far better off if the Military ran the Government. Things seem to run smoother and safer. I hear this from Thais all the time. Let the military run things and get rid of the corrupt Gov.

Totally dysfunctional Gov. The Thai people would be far better off if the Military ran the Government. Things seem to run smoother and safer. I hear this from Thais all the time. Let the military run things and get rid of the corrupt Gov.

Didn't work too well in 2006/7.

Sent from my shoe phone

• Like 2

"I should not be asked to comment on every rumour that is circulated at coffee shops,"

Says it all right there.

But how about asking his fellow red-shirted political-leader, for details of the source of this rumour, which might otherwise be taken for mere rabble-rousing and stirring-up trouble, when the government of which the Minister is part is supposedly seeking reconciliation instead ?

Currrent government is elected by majority . Last time military government came in it was a mess Corruption went sky rocketing
  • Like 2

Reading this and other articles, one gets the impression that the cracks are beginning to appear in PTP? If they did implode, the sad thing is the Democrats don't appear to have the umph to take over and give the strong leadership this Country is badly in need of; despite liking Mark, but liking maketh not a leader, sadly.sad.png

coffee1.gif

KWanchAI ?

Chan Kwai

The next time that one of the redshirted bozos accuses the army of plotting a coup the RTA should arranges for some exercises around Khon Kaen, Udon Thani and Chiang Mai and hand doughnuts out to the kids.

Currrent government is elected by majority . Last time military government came in it was a mess Corruption went sky rocketing

Wow is all I can say.

People trust the Thai military?

• Like 1

Wow is all I can say.

People trust the Thai military?

A small minority seem to.

Hasn't something like this happened before. What happened back then? There was a PM. I think his name started with a 'T'... coffee1.gif

Reading this and other articles, one gets the impression that the cracks are beginning to appear in PTP? If they did implode, the sad thing is the Democrats don't appear to have the umph to take over and give the strong leadership this Country is badly in need of; despite liking Mark, but liking maketh not a leader, sadly.sad.png

To some extent I agree but with some further points:

- There are other highly capable people within the dem team (Korn is the most obvious)

- It's clear that the old style dem 'machine' hasn't yet been fully thrown aside

- Abhisit and team clearly miscalculated the enormous impact of populace very short-term policies which in reality do nothing for the longer-

term future and do nothing to fix ingrained serious problems

- During the time abhsist was PM he worked in a snake pit with his colatition partners obviously and openly desperate to their sticky fingers

into the pie. And some of his own dem mmebrs not much better.

- The majority of his time in the PM seat occupied with long running severe protests. Didn't leave much time for progress on other fronts.

• Like 1

Gimme a little help here. Isn't the Defense minister part of the current government and he says, “Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat yesterday dismissed rumours about a top Army general and a coalition MP conspiring to topple the government.”

But all you guys are saying that the current government is so bad because????

I mean I know you guys don't like democracies and prefer military dictatorships but the way I read the OP it is about the current government denying a coup attempt not the reverse eh?

Are military coups legal?

Shouldn't those involved go to prison, not promoted?

They should be under certain circumstances

Sure everyone knows that but who figures out what circumstances? You? Not to disparage you but a lot of your posts are a bit whacky. And some other posters on Thai Visa come on like refugees the from the 1930's in Europe or Russia. You probably think you are OK but I don't. So there we have a problem. The only way to get a consensus is by election and for elections to work one has to outlaw coups. Do you see the logic in that. No of course not because you are whacky.

Everyone else is wacky, except thee and me. Oh Kerryk, the irony.... ;-) Anyway...

And for elections to work you have to outlaw corruption, nepotism and bribery, and instil the rule of law, not the rule of con-man, mob, thug and mafia. The dumbed-down color coding has also got to go. The separation of powers has to be maintained, not face continual erosion into tyranny. And the necessary role of a watchdog Opposition must be valued and respected. Lots to do, lots to do.

Sure everyone knows that but who figures out what circumstances? You? Not to disparage you but a lot of your posts are a bit whacky. And some other posters on Thai Visa come on like refugees the from the 1930's in Europe or Russia. You probably think you are OK but I don't. So there we have a problem. The only way to get a consensus is by election and for elections to work one has to outlaw coups. Do you see the logic in that. No of course not because you are whacky.

"The only way to get a consensus is by elections" is not accurate. Consensus in politics is a gradual process of debate and acknowledgment, resulting in an agreed set of conditions which can move forward. Elections, by contrast, are a purely individual box ticking number-crunch and have nothing to do with agreement at all. Consensus is actually what is required in parliament, at least in modern democracies such as England where the Opposition's views have to be heard and respected and debates are (almost always) structured around consensus-forming, highlighting the most contentious items and either removing them or debating them further until there is agreement.

Military intervention is a failsafe or self-defense mechanism that is employed by parliamentary democracy around the world in 21st century. Parliamentary democracy is books and pens and debate in essence and as such it is entirely fragile without the support of the army and police.

Obviously Thailand is not a modern progressive democracy. Nonetheless, the military has to step in if the centre of government is threatened from within. It is the same as calling the police if your house is burgled. The police do not live in your house 24/7 because you take it on faith that there will not be armed criminals in your house. You call the police in that emergency. Exactly the same, in democratic government you take it on faith that there will not be autocratic dictatorial criminals in office and you do not need to have the army living in parliament all the time, but they are called in if there is an emergency.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla

"The only way to get a consensus is by elections" is not accurate. Consensus in politics is a gradual process of debate and acknowledgment, resulting in an agreed set of conditions which can move forward. Elections, by contrast, are a purely individual box ticking number-crunch and have nothing to do with agreement at all. Consensus is actually what is required in parliament, at least in modern democracies such as England where the Opposition's views have to be heard and respected and debates are (almost always) structured around consensus-forming, highlighting the most contentious items and either removing them or debating them further until there is agreement.

Military intervention is a failsafe or self-defense mechanism that is employed by parliamentary democracy around the world in 21st century. Parliamentary democracy is books and pens and debate in essence and as such it is entirely fragile without the support of the army and police.

Obviously Thailand is not a modern progressive democracy. Nonetheless, the military has to step in if the centre of government is threatened from within. It is the same as calling the police if your house is burgled. The police do not live in your house 24/7 because you take it on faith that there will not be armed criminals in your house. You call the police in that emergency. Exactly the same, in democratic government you take it on faith that there will not be autocratic dictatorial criminals in office and you do not need to have the army living in parliament all the time, but they are called in if there is an emergency.

ermm.gif

Before I even read your whole post I have to ask one question. Apologies for the word election. What I really meant was the majority rules, voting or however you establish agreement. You said consensus is a gradual process of debate resulting in an agreed set of conditions. Ya? How do you establish agreement? You have three people all with different opinions, two have to agree and then lean on the third till he comes along. However you shape it. However you blend it. The majority rules. And that is what I meant by election. Sorry I used the word without further explanation.