Question On Quality Thai And Foreign Staff For A Start Up Business In Bangkok

Hi,

Over the next 3 - 5 years I will be selling my business (in the UK) and completing my earn out... funding my long awaited move to Thailand.

I'll still be relatively young and don't plan on sitting around doing nothing for the rest of my life so will be setting up a business in Asia (on a similar model to my current business).

My business partner and I already have a plan in place and the obvious option would be to set up in Singapore or HK, basing myself as a non-exec. director in Thailand, advising an MD that I would install to run things (who I would be sourcing via my network of existing contacts).

Broadly speaking it's an events / publishing business... not giving my secrets away ;). I'd need content / editorial staff, sales staff, marketing staff and people to handle logistics. People who can do business in Thailand, but also across all of South East Asia.

Would be great if I could set up in Thailand as it's cheaper, I'd be living there etc. and could be more hands on (and would need to be as don't necessarily have the right contacts for an MD type in Thailand). I do know there are restrictions on foreign ownership of businesses (I have options to cover that) and I understand I would need to hire a certain amount of Thai staff.

So after the long intro, my question is this... what is the job market like and what is the likelihood of me finding 5+ intelligent, business savvy employees. Either Thais that could do a good job or entrepreneurial foreigners that are looking for a long term career (i.e. no jokers looking to extend their holiday in Thailand).

Would be paying decent salaries, with profit share / commission with a possible equity tie in for serious, long-term senior staff.

PS I know internet forums aren't always the best place to ask questions like this, but always interested to hear a diverse range of opinion.

• Like 1

Simple answer is yes. You can find anyone in Thailand but the options are limited. If you want to test the applicant pool, post some job ads in thailand and see what you get. Personally, I would hire a Thai MD with a command of the English language. From there, do the hand-holding and let him/her look for supporting staff.

Shawn

from a practical stand point you will have to employ 4 X Thai's for every expat you employ and be captialised for THB 2.0 million

so would say going to be tricky getting 5 expats working for you.

One assumes you will need a WP here, therefore you will need 4 Thai employees to start with + 4 more more for every WP

from a practical stand point you will have to employ 4 X Thai's for every expat you employ and be captialised for THB 2.0 million

One assumes you will need a WP here, therefore you will need 4 Thai employees to start with + 4 more more for every WP

Thanks. Would happily employ only Thais if they're up to scratch. I suppose that's the challenge! What do top Thai grads (e.g. who've been uni in the UK) expect to earn?

I know it a bit of a long shot... ultimately I'll probably set up in Singapore. I know good staff there from a former employer that I can easily tempt ;). Just want to explore options in Thailand first as would be nice.

I want to move to Thailand to get away from being a money crazed entrepreneur... so perhaps it's better there's a little distance between me and the business.

Thanks. Would happily employ only Thais if they're up to scratch. I suppose that's the challenge! What do top Thai grads (e.g. who've been uni in the UK) expect to earn?

I know it a bit of a long shot... ultimately I'll probably set up in Singapore. I know good staff there from a former employer that I can easily tempt wink.png. Just want to explore options in Thailand first as would be nice.

I want to move to Thailand to get away from being a money crazed entrepreneur... so perhaps it's better there's a little distance between me and the business.

Ah well thats the trick....could be starting at 15k/m upto 70-90k/m depends on the industry

If married to a Thai, is it still 2 employess and 1 Mil?...not sure..maybe make it a little easier, especially as the OP would be looking for staff that are settled here.

If married to a Thai, is it still 2 employess and 1 Mil?...not sure..maybe make it a little easier, especially as the OP would be looking for staff that are settled here.

Yeap..married to Thai national... 2 employee's + THB 1.0mil

This is an interesting development! Could you clarify?

I am married to a Thai... so this means I need 1 mill (invested on the company or in a company account?) and is that 2 Thai staff per foreign staff member.

As a director / investor would I count as a foreign staff member? And how about other foreign investors that would be living in the UK?

Thanks... plenty of helpful info already! Much appreciated.

If I were you I would love to hire 4 staff:1 foreigner better than married to Thai.

Probation 3 months If your staff isn't good. You can fire them and look at for a new one.

So what about marry with Thai? Do you think it's easy way to divored If you didn't want her anymore?

If I were you I would love to hire 4 staff:1 foreigner better than married to Thai.

Probation 3 months If your staff isn't good. You can fire them and look at for a new one.

So what about marry with Thai? Do you think it's easy way to divored If you didn't want her anymore?

Haha... just to clarify. I'm already married to a Thai... 7 years so far and still want her ;)

Do agree on 3 months probation. It's what I do with my business now and helps to make sure people are working hard to prove themselves / easy way to get rid of people who art up to it. Long term a stable workforce is crucial though!

This is an interesting development! Could you clarify?

I am married to a Thai... so this means I need 1 mill (invested on the company or in a company account?) and is that 2 Thai staff per foreign staff member.

As a director / investor would I count as a foreign staff member? And how about other foreign investors that would be living in the UK?

Thanks... plenty of helpful info already! Much appreciated.

1) Marry a Thai lady ...... DONE

2) Employ the lady you marry as employee 1

3) Employ someone at random to sweep the floor and pick his/her nose on minimum wage (6k/month) as employee 2.

4) 1M bht in the company account

Oh, I think a Thai has to own 51% of the company if you're not American.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If you have a big printing operation then Thailand is probably a good place to do it, but if it's mostly sales then Singapore or Hong Kong would be a better bet.

The "problem" with Thailand is that it's a big and lucrative enough market to serve itself, with relatively high taxes. That means that to find good staff with strong English and most likely a foreign education you will be paying similar rates to what you would be paying in Singapore or HK. The key difference would be that they'd be paying 37% tax, rather than 15-18% elsewhere.

If you have a big printing operation then Thailand is probably a good place to do it, but if it's mostly sales then Singapore or Hong Kong would be a better bet.

The "problem" with Thailand is that it's a big and lucrative enough market to serve itself, with relatively high taxes. That means that to find good staff with strong English and most likely a foreign education you will be paying similar rates to what you would be paying in Singapore or HK. The key difference would be that they'd be paying 37% tax, rather than 15-18% elsewhere.

Wow... tax is that high!!! I assumed tax in Thailand was relatively low.

Wow... tax is that high!!! I assumed tax in Thailand was relatively low.

It's not high by European standards, and about on a par with the US I believe. But compared with HK and Sing it's pretty high. Also manual labour and warehouse space is pretty cheap here, hence why if you have a big labour intensive operation such as I imagine a print works would be then Thailand could make sense. But if you have a small office of relatively high earning professional staff then other places might be better.