What'S Up At Chiang Mai University Language Institute

Gobbo

Hey, does anyone know what's going on at Chiang Mai university, I'm enrolled with their Thai course at the language Institute but I heard a rumour that there's problems there and the course future is uncertain, then I went looking here on Thaivisa and came across the threads from 2010 when they used to run the courses and then shut it all down and didn't refund. I do know they have problems with their TEFL course because the instructors have quit, then I heard that the Aussie bloke who ran it all before when they sacked the management and threw everyone out, has been chased out the country by them suing him so he's threatening to spill all the beans on who he bribed there and whose pockets all the money went into. Man, I sure hope they aren't going to shut it down again, I've recently paid for a full year in advance and need the visa, sounds like it was a real mess last time around.

Yes, a lot people did get shafted, some got their money back but I remember it was the scandal of year in 2010, nasty meetings between 100 students 'and the director, there was a class action law suit, visa and mastercard had to refund lots of cards, lots just lost out, the money basically had disappeared and no one at the ever provided a good answer on who had been keeping all the money. There are lots of reliable Thai language schools and TEFL courses in town to safely give your money to. If an institution can so easily threaten you with the word 'we can get you unguested', and get away with it like they did the first time then I suggest you just stay clear of the place and leave it to educating Thais.

• Like 2

Update on this, I found out that the president wants to shut the whole language institute and have nothing further to do with foreigners, because he's sick of all the bad rumours circulating that he used to get a large cut from the profits of the old course. I'm not sure if that is true but I heard it from a reliable source who works in the university that he's thinking of terminating the courses all the same. Wouldn't we all love to know the whole truth about why it was suddenly closed the first time around. From reading up, it seems like they never did come up with a good reason for stopping the first time, all very fishy eh? Well, at least I just got three more months on my visa so I'll see how it goes.