6 Hour Power Cut On Koh Phangan Results In Spontaneous Demonstration

Have to admit I am sick and tired of it on Samui in the last 7 days I recall the electric being off at least 3/4 times it is getting a joke and when you ring the BKK number 1129 Customer services they really do not have an answer but I suggest that when it does happen everyone should call this number with your account details as once you have registered they then have all your details on file and know the next time you are calling. I think the more complaints they get the more likely they will try to overcome the electrical problems but when half the cables are hanging from trees/posts the more chance of damage due to the high winds Samui is full of multi million baht hotels and private dwellings but still have 500 baht roads which are falling apart and electricity that goes off on a reguler basis for hours at a time it is just not good enough !!!

• Like 1

The power comes from Khanom elecric station.

but samui cannot be blamed for using too much electric becuase we pay for it

the government are to blame but they just pas the blame on.

what would help is more information in thail and in english as to when normall maintance power cuts are to take place and for how long so people can plan around them also information when the power is out maybe cirbulat email auto matci to say when the power is on and that it is all fixed.

If they can bring in 5 billion baht a year then they can at least improve customer service ( with not extra charge to the custoerm)

Aldo thereisahuge building waist of money in Manam joh Samyu that was finsihed about 3 years ago built by the goebrnment but empty.

what the hell is allthat about.

You live on Koh Phangan I dare you to not pay your electricity bill's. Then you can go back to dinner by candle light or fire up the generator's. What a militant bunch complaining like that, on Samui we don't run to the office ever time we lose power for 6 hour's.

Maybe it is a problem originating from Samui. I would be very interested in knowing the whys of these cuts. Some seem to happen when it rains, others when it's windy and still others out of a clear blue sky. What is physically happening?

My understanding is that the main cable under the sea comes from the mainland to Samui and then onto koh Phanagan our electrice was out for just over 4 hours last night but Phangan was over 6 hours when I contact the call centre which is now in Bangkok free dial 1129 I have always found them helpful and sometimes they have even called back to let me know when the power is being restored, however the last few times this week when I have called them they have blamed High Waters whatever that means next time your electric fails call 1129 the more that complain may assist in sorting out the constant problems.

• Like 1

next time your electric fails call 1129 the more that complain may assist in sorting out the constant problems.

Thanks for the number - I'll try it next time. Unfortunately I do not get my electricity direct from EGAT - our developer provides it (at a premium of course). So - no customer number.

On Samui, a 4 - 6 hour power cut is 'usually' planned maintence at this time of year. They switch off the power in sections, then go around cutting back the trees/branches etc. Personally - I am impressed that this happens - I just wish that we were notified first.

Obviously, this is NOT what happened on KPN.

Some time ago, I was told that one of the undersea cables from the mainland to Samui was broken. Is that still the case? If so - we are only operating on 50% supply?

Thats because Koh Phangan is still mostly locals and not sheeple wink.png

I personally welcome this show of dissent because until residents get the message over that enough is enough then nothing will be done.

The insufficient electric capability and supply to both islands is just going to become a bigger and bigger problem the longer it is left on the back burner. Makes you wonder exactly how bad it has to become before something is done?

• Like 1

Last news talk about the Boss of EGAT/Phangan been fired. It's really the fist time than this 'spontaneous" demonstration happen. We suffer weekly (or less) from power interruptions (fadeup) and local people never complain (as used to be). Most of the important resort have power generators and many clever business (including me) are equipped with small/medium generators too.

I hope that something will change. We'll see.

I dont like it but I have to say T.I.T.

Planned service power cuts at Samui do not happen during peak hours as from 8pm till midnight. Unfortunately power cuts are common, especially at Maenam area, and often caused by to high power consumption compared to the size of transformers and wires - so it happens (quite often) that a transformer burns off. At Maenen we had two quite long power cuts Friday night and Saturday evening - but in a way you get used to it, because that is how it has "always" been at Maenam. A planned power cut means: Always be prepared for for a power cut. Seems like progess is going faster than the power supply can follow.

Well not all of Maenam is constantly affected ....

I was always under the impression they had that new sub station in Maenam, I think now in operation was to help solve some of the cuts.... ?

So what does EGAT mean? I've not seen that before....

Sounds like they need to get the huge old diesel generator cranked up at the electric office on KP, it might give 1/4 power! rolleyes.gif .... not to mention remove some of the vines and trees growing into the lines worse there than Samui.... wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

One thing that was a bit peculiar yesterday was that the power came on in Thong Sala and a few hundred meters down the road towards Baan Thai. But were we live it was pitch black and hot as in hell until two in the morning. How come they manage to get some power on?

The 6 hour power cut that hit most of the island last night (naturally just when a large delegation of Malaysian travel agents was visiting the island to talk with resort owners about sending tourists to the island) saw a spontaneous demonstration of really pissed off business owners show up at the EGAT office in Thong Sala, by 2 am there were several hundred people there, apparently not organized just really really angry. Power cuts hit the island nearly every Full Moon and locals told the head of the office that it had better get fixed or he was going to get kicked off the island and the entire island would refuse to pay their electric bills until it was fixed. It seems EGAT earns a tidy 5 billion Baht a year in electric bills from Koh Phangan and yet the power cuts are regular and long.

The EGAT guy on the island said, "power off from Samui" and "we don't know when it comes back, its all in Samui"

post-4641-0-29976800-1341113527_thumb.jp

No power off today on Samui...

Sounds like a buck being passed...

But it did go out yesterday for a few hours and several hours one day last week.

I call 1129 if he power is off for more than 30 minutes.

I long since stopped expecting the neighbors to call.

Maybe some do, but the more calls the sooner there is action.

They did say last week that the lie from Nakon si Thamarat was not working.

Maybe it is a problem originating from Samui. I would be very interested in knowing the whys of these cuts. Some seem to happen when it rains, others when it's windy and still others out of a clear blue sky. What is physically happening?

A combination of all the above.

When it rains, damp palms hit the lines and create greater load to ground,

an bang about causing load fluctuations causing breakers to trip.

Also far too many breakers are scorched from tripping multiple times

and now trip faster... But don't get replaced.

The last year we have had no less than 150 blackouts of over an hour.

No exageration. And this is closer to the master distribution station.

Another major problem is island electricity load balancing is idiotic.

Rather than charge ALL customers for all the neccesary transformer / capacitor banks needed to balance loads, they just tell the home or small resort owner to pay 300,000 to 500,000 baht per bank if they want their power stable...

Sheer lunacy. Because many/most just can't afforded it after they've built,

and suddenly this new huge expense gets dropped in their laps.

So they just don't do it.

Bangrak used to have dinner time swings between 145 volts and 430 volts,

relative to the expected 220v. Digital electronics won't run or motors burn out

Trying to draw more amps to make their load requirment and then the potential change.

The human system itself that runs the electric system design is effectively broken.

And unless someone explains this to the overlords with clout it will NEVER be fixed.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the main cable under the sea comes from the mainland to Samui and then onto koh Phanagan our electrice was out for just over 4 hours last night but Phangan was over 6 hours when I contact the call centre which is now in Bangkok free dial 1129 I have always found them helpful and sometimes they have even called back to let me know when the power is being restored, however the last few times this week when I have called them they have blamed High Waters whatever that means next time your electric fails call 1129 the more that complain may assist in sorting out the constant problems.

Yes agreed, the people at 1129 do try and help with info and passing on your complaint.

Be nice to them they do try.

My only beef with 1129 is the dial 9 for service in english never goes to an English voice mail.

Just keep hitting 0 or 1 and eventuslly and english speaker will be found to help you.

Last news talk about the Boss of EGAT/Phangan been fired. It's really the fist time than this 'spontaneous" demonstration happen. We suffer weekly (or less) from power interruptions (fadeup) and local people never complain (as used to be). Most of the important resort have power generators and many clever business (including me) are equipped with small/medium generators too.

I hope that something will change. We'll see.

I dont like it but I have to say T.I.T.

Yes, I also had little choice but to put in a 3 phase generator.

I also have phase lights running to the gov. electric when on generator,

so I can see when EGAT is back on.

But it has grown significantly worse this last year since those April floods.

Until they put all the power cables underground , you will always have power cuts ! The power lines in samui are a mess , and most probably the same in phangan .. If they are making 5 billion off such a small inland they should be re investing half of that every year in. New infrastructure .. But hey , we know this won't happen , and really there is no one to complain to who actually gives a shit

• Like 1

I think that I read somewhere that on Samui - the electric cables cannot go underground.

They had to get special permission for some area on the south end of the island to put electric cables underground, and in places you can see signs stating that here is an electric cable undergound near this sign! For most of us we have to be above ground. I do not know why.

For what it is worth - I get many power cuts here in Plai Laem yet I can still see lights on KPN. You might think that things are tough there on KPN - but trust me - it is far worse here. However, because they get a lot of practice at fixing power supply problems - we are usually up and running in under 2 hours. (Where I live anyway!)

Planned service power cuts at Samui do not happen during peak hours as from 8pm till midnight. Unfortunately power cuts are common, especially at Maenam area, and often caused by to high power consumption compared to the size of transformers and wires - so it happens (quite often) that a transformer burns off. At Maenen we had two quite long power cuts Friday night and Saturday evening - but in a way you get used to it, because that is how it has "always" been at Maenam. A planned power cut means: Always be prepared for for a power cut. Seems like progess is going faster than the power supply can follow.

\

it annoys me becuase residence at least dersver an appology. specially people who do nothave gernorators who have lost housands ofbaht in food due th redges being off.

also why can

'tthey run a line direct from Khanom ( mainland)this shall helpsamuitoo as we shall have less places to sullpy hence less over load.

My exasperated looking landlord, who's KP electric manager just got back a while ago, .... best he could say that it was a problem in Nanthon... but not able to expand... so that backs up SBK's first post it was caused on Samui.

I mentioned some of us "farangs" (I am sure the Thai's are too), were fed up with the electric problems in some areas....

"We are working on it", was best answer.... I got! whistling.gif

next time your electric fails call 1129 the more that complain may assist in sorting out the constant problems.

Thanks for the number - I'll try it next time. Unfortunately I do not get my electricity direct from EGAT - our developer provides it (at a premium of course). So - no customer number.

On Samui, a 4 - 6 hour power cut is 'usually' planned maintence at this time of year. They switch off the power in sections, then go around cutting back the trees/branches etc. Personally - I am impressed that this happens - I just wish that we were notified first.

Some time ago, I was told that one of the undersea cables from the mainland to Samui was broken. Is that still the case? If so - we are only operating on 50% supply?

Ask your developer for the electric contract number that is what I did and once you have called they register the account number along with your phone number how much does the developer chare you per unit of electric

Ask your developer for the electric contract number that is what I did and once you have called they register the account number along with your phone number how much does the developer chare you per unit of electric

6.1 baht per unit - not too bad compared to some (27 baht?)

I'll get the number off him - cheers

6.1 baht per unit - not too bad compared to some (27 baht?)

I'll get the number off him - cheers

could do with some demostrations over here.

and compensation. specially for businesses that have to spend hundreds of thousand and million bahts on riferigeration systems.

the government could had out money for the fuel. as they could potencially lose hundreds of thousand of baht in stock.