The Real Price For Baht Bus Ride

Ling Kae

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use baht buses daily, 10 baht on usual route. Never had a problem with a driver. If i need to travel off a route have never had a problem negotiating a fair fare. When returning from shops every one I have used helps carry shopping bags to my door.

• Like 1

If you get the cattle truck baht buss at the Pattaya Tai intersection and Second Road it is ten baht. If you flag one down going to to Jomtien, it is twenty baht, same price as going from Jomtien to Pattaya.

I pay ten baht when I flag one down going to Jomtien. Never would sit in a parked one on Second Road.

If I travel a long distance like from Big C North (the baht bus that takes the small soi going west) then down Beach Road and (if they continue on Pattaya Tai) further east, I usually give them 20 baht. No one has complained to me or asked for more in either situation.

It seems like rates should be raised, but they are what they are. Some still have remnants of the old rate schedule posted at the front, at least I think I've seen a few fairly recently. It's been 10 baht for ages, but in the distant past Thais often paid 5 baht.

These days I more often go with a friend in a car or on a motorbike because it's convenient, but have never had a problem with a bus driver. I would say the percentage who are "horrible people" is very, very small.

Edited by Suradit69

If you get the cattle truck baht buss at the Pattaya Tai intersection and Second Road it is ten baht. If you flag one down going to to Jomtien, it is twenty baht, same price as going from Jomtien to Pattaya.

I pay ten baht when I flag one down going to Jomtien. Never would sit in a parked one on Second Road.

If I travel a long distance like from Big C North (the baht bus that takes the small soi going west) then down Beach Road and (if they continue on Pattaya Tai) further east, I usually give them 20 baht. No one has complained to me or asked for more in either situation.

It seems like rates should be raised, but they are what they are. Some still have remnants of the old rate schedule posted at the front, at least I think I've seen a few fairly recently. It's been 10 baht for ages, but in the distant past Thais often paid 5 baht.

These days I more often go with a friend in a car or on a motorbike because it's convenient, but have never had a problem with a bus driver. I would say the percentage who are "horrible people" is very, very small.

The problem with raising the rates is that there is no transfer system in Thailand(Bangkok may have one now between MRT and BTS)

so anyone going a nonlinear route, say Jomtien to Foodland, will have to pay 20 baht anyways. And 20 Baht back.

Keep in mind that in Bangkok there are buses that will go a comparable route for about 8 baht.

I normally pay 15 baht from Jomtoen beach road to Big C North Pattaya.

I always have the coins ready and the drivers never complained .

So I think you can add 5 baht if you want to go to Central or Big C

I normally pay 15 baht from Jomtoen beach road to Big C North Pattaya.

I always have the coins ready and the drivers never complained .

So I think you can add 5 baht if you want to go to Central or Big C

You're probably right. But I'd be careful about any predictions of never complaining. I have run into some drivers who are always complaining. One driver I saw was carrying a sign saying 20 baht that he was sticking in people's faces anywhere north of Pattaya Tai from Jomtien. Some people run into loons like that once and conclude that means that is the real rule in general. That's where the myths about higher fares get started.

Armed with the correct information I did a couple of rides 2 nights ago. I took a baht bus from soi Buhakhow to the school at Pattaya Tai paid 10 baht. Then I was eying off a baht bus packed to standing room only mostly full of Russians. Didn't want to be on that one so I walked up to near the Marine Hotel and flagged down one half ful. Went to VT 7 Jomtien paid 10 baht. Great way of getting rid of 1 and 2 baht coinslaugh.png

On the way home it was 4.30 AM no baht buses around so I walked up a bit and there was this old Motocy Man Taxi he took me home to Pattaya Klang for 100 baht. I was glad to see him as I was quite well under the influence.burp.gif

One driver I saw was carrying a sign saying 20 baht that he was sticking in people's faces anywhere north of Pattaya Tai from Jomtien.

Hmm. If that ever became popular I would start carrying a sign myself. Mine would say just two words.

Thankfully drivers like that are very rare.