Umphang, Thi Lo Su Waterfall

Spaniel

After the rainy season my wife and I are planing a trip to Tak to see the Thi Lo Su waterfall in Umphang. If anyone has been there recently would appreciate any travel info concerning camping, hotels, eating etc. thanks for any info.

Plenty of guest houses when you get to Umpang,we travelled by Zodiak from Umpang down river to a large park then a beaut walk through really old forest to the falls which after a hot slog refreshed ourselves.

Hi, Spaniel. Just been there two months ago. I can strongly recommend "Umphang House" ran by Khun Dech. It's only 200 THB per night, the rooms are big, clean, have hot shower and fan, and the owner - Mr. Dech - knows a lot about the area and can arrange any kind of tour you want. He's got his own rubber boats and pick-up truck and is very flexible with pricing. I recommend that you take a one day rafting+walking tour to Thi Lo Su and a one day rafting tour to Thi Lo Re. They cannot be both covered in the same day. The national park is amazing. Check this photos and videos on my blog (unfortunately you won't be able to understand the writing, as it is in exotic Romanian): http://www.tedoo.ro/...ade-tak-umphang

Edited by bradflorescu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well the rainy season is about over and we are off to Tak the end of November. Will spend first night in Mae Sot then on to Um Phang the next day. Any suggestions on places to stay at both places? Also we will have our tent with us and plan to camp at or near the waterfall if possible.

There was a large camping/parking area near to the falls. Probably 4hrs from Mae Sot to Umpang by private car. The guest houses in Mae sot are okay and the Canadian that owns a Restuarant south East of the Police Station is friendly,been there years

Well the rainy season is about over and we are off to Tak the end of November. Will spend first night in Mae Sot then on to Um Phang the next day. Any suggestions on places to stay at both places? Also we will have our tent with us and plan to camp at or near the waterfall if possible.

Wattana Village Resort is very good value in Mae Sot. About 700 bht a night booked through Agoda. Pool and excellent breakfast.

There was a large camping/parking area near to the falls. Probably 4hrs from Mae Sot to Umpang by private car. The guest houses in Mae sot are okay and the Canadian that owns a Restuarant south East of the Police Station is friendly,been there years

Thanks, so it looks like we can drive near the falls and then camp in kthat area.

Wattana Village Resort is very good value in Mae Sot. About 700 bht a night booked through Agoda. Pool and excellent breakfast.

My wife called the Wattana Village Resort and made a reservation.

Thanks, so it looks like we can drive near the falls and then camp in kthat area.

I dont think it would be wise to camp out, your not so far from the frontier and I dont recall seeing Park facilities, my friend crossed over near the falls 23 years ago.

The road from Mae Sot is OK for the first bit and then it changes into a lot of S bends which also go up and down. The road is not that wide so be very careful when trying to overtake.

Apart from that there are some stunning views from the road.

I can also recommend "Umphang House" ran by Khun Dech.

The area is safe. You camp at a camping ground near the waterfalls with showers/toilets (about 1 KM) You are not allowed to camp at the watefall it self.

Never heard of tourists being robbed there, Thai or foreign. One would mess with the income of many people.