Cost Of Living In Thailand - Our Actual Monthly Spend

8milesfromhome

How people get by on such small sums? I need at least 500 baht daily for food. Anything less and I'm starving!

Some people spend less than you on food as they eat cheaper food (or eat less food).

Some people spend more than you on food as they eat dearer food (or eat more food).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How people get by on such small sums? I need at least 500 baht daily for food. Anything less and I'm starving!

Today,

breakfast Graprow Gai with sticky rice ... 15bht (at home)

Snack gafee yen x2 (35bht each) ..... 70bht

Lunch Pad Thai gung haw kai ........ 35bht

Drink fresh coconut ................ 20bht

Dinner tonight, pork steak with french fries ....... 40bht (at home)

Expensive day today ..... total 180bht, all the meat was top quality.

Gotta cut back on the coffees!

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Today,

breakfast Graprow Gai with sticky rice ... 15bht (at home)

Snack gafee yen x2 (35bht each) ..... 70bht

Lunch Pad Thai gung haw kai ........ 35bht

Drink fresh coconut ................ 20bht

Dinner tonight, pork steak with french fries ....... 40bht (at home)

Expensive day today ..... total 180bht, all the meat was top quality.

Gotta cut back on the coffees!

Tommo... I didn't think I would ever say this but... I spent less than you today...

I am staying at the in-laws this week, and so far haven't spent a penny* or baht...

* strictly speaking I have spent a penny but only in a non-financial sense.

Tommo... I didn't think I would ever say this but... I spent less than you today...

I am staying at the in-laws this week, and so far haven't spent a penny* or baht...

* strictly speaking I have spent a penny but only in a non-financial sense.

I admit those two coffees were a bit extravagant!

Still, some days you have to go mad with money.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

My wife never had any children so it is just the two of us. If a family has children then all bets are off. Children can be VERY expensive to raise especially when they are at school age.

I would have be quite extravagant to spend 50,000 baht per month. We pay no rent but we do have two motorbikes, a pickup truck and a car plus a LOT of expensive toys that I could easily do without but I don't have to do without my toys.

Some people feel the need for five star hotels, restaurants, social gatherings and fancy clothes. I don't have to impress anyone and I've been told that I DON'T impress anyone. That suits me too.

My wife never had any children so it is just the two of us. If a family has children then all bets are off. Children can be VERY expensive to raise especially when they are at school age.

I would have be quite extravagant to spend 50,000 baht per month. We pay no rent but we do have two motorbikes, a pickup truck and a car plus a LOT of expensive toys that I could easily do without but I don't have to do without my toys.

Some people feel the need for five star hotels, restaurants, social gatherings and fancy clothes. I don't have to impress anyone and I've been told that I DON'T impress anyone. That suits me too.

I like to stay in five-star hotels. Nothing to do with impressing people. Alas, I can't afford it. ;)

• Like 2

No rent. Own house.

There is more to this calculation (and also to that of a renter).

If you rent you dont pay for maintenance, depreciation, property tax, common fees etc. Also you may earn interest on the value of the property you are living in because you have put the equivalent sum into the bank. I earn just under 4% on the money I have in the bank here, and I pay just under 4% of the asking price of my condo as rent. And my owner pays all the building fees.

If you buy you lose the interest you might have been getting at the bank, you assume all the maintenance costs for yourself, you pay the property taxes/common fees if applicable, you may (or may not) benefit from an increasing capital value of the property or indeed you could be hit with a decreasing capital value. But you dont pay rent.

Yes that is true. But still dependent on situation. I bought the house when exchange rates were good and it was 'cheap' at the time. It 'paid' for itself in around 7 yrs ( based on rental cost of similar property ) so since then my only expenditure is the cost of maintenance (small cos I do most myself ) and the village fees. The property is only worth what someone is willing to pay but it is definitely worth more than I originally paid. So over time (10 yrs) it has been 'cheap' living. Meanwhile in that time I have been able to save and have rental income from other properties. I will move to a larger house sometime soon. But living well within my income for a number of years has been beneficial.

Your gf is entitled to the 30 baht system (free at the moment) so I wonder why you don't use the 20K for an insurance for yourself? (assuming she's Thai and you're paying for said insurance)

Only free in her home Amphur, if she is registered on a house book in Korat, but works in BK ...... she has to pay in BK (or travel to Korat for free treatment).

Not correct. She can transfer the coverage to the nearest government hospital in Bkk. The transfer can be done twice in one year.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

I had lunch yesterday in a run-down Silom restaurant and the bill, which was over 1,000 baht, got me thinking.

My wife and I are fortunate to earn decent salaries. She manages to save half of hers and I save nothing even though I earn twice as much as her. I am responsible for our rent, the mortgage repayments and maintenance back home, private health insuarance and a private pension scheme but other than that we split everything 50/50. After all those commitments I have about 90,000 baht left each month. I don't live an extravagent lifestyle at all here in Bangkok. I go out to the pub a few times a week, only at happy hour, and employ the services of a maid once a week. Neither of us owns a car and we don't have children. My biggest single expence, other than my aforementioned commitments, annual trips to Europe and holidays in Asia, is eating out. I would love to know of any restaurant in Bangkok, walkable from the BTS or MRT, where you can eat a reasonably sized Thai meal with two large bottles of beer for under 1,000 baht. May I add that it needs to be air-conditioned but not in a mall and there must be food without MSG added - the wife's requirements. I would be happy to eat at a roadside noodle shop but my wife insists that if we do that then when we're back home we will have to set up a picnic on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway and eat there. Any suggestions?

I had lunch yesterday in a run-down Silom restaurant and the bill, which was over 1,000 baht, got me thinking.

My wife and I are fortunate to earn decent salaries. She manages to save half of hers and I save nothing even though I earn twice as much as her. I am responsible for our rent, the mortgage repayments and maintenance back home, private health insuarance and a private pension scheme but other than that we split everything 50/50. After all those commitments I have about 90,000 baht left each month. I don't live an extravagent lifestyle at all here in Bangkok. I go out to the pub a few times a week, only at happy hour, and employ the services of a maid once a week. Neither of us owns a car and we don't have children. My biggest single expence, other than my aforementioned commitments, annual trips to Europe and holidays in Asia, is eating out. I would love to know of any restaurant in Bangkok, walkable from the BTS or MRT, where you can eat a reasonably sized Thai meal with two large bottles of beer for under 1,000 baht. May I add that it needs to be air-conditioned but not in a mall and there must be food without MSG added - the wife's requirements. I would be happy to eat at a roadside noodle shop but my wife insists that if we do that then when we're back home we will have to set up a picnic on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway and eat there. Any suggestions?

Give your missus the sack and find a local girl.. You'll still be paying for everything but at least you will be able to enjoy the delights of street food and the excellent non A/C local restos.. Easy to have a great meal with beer for under a 1000bht then.

Are you for real?

Whenever we eat out "nicely", we spend an average of THB 400 per person, and that includes beer and aircon. Where do you go to spend THB 1,000 per person?

I also don't understand how you consider paying everything by yourself and then sharing everything else 50/50, fair. If you know the basics of math, you wouldn't be surprised why your wife saves more money than you....

Are you for real?

• Like 1

1000 Baht is not very much for 2 people including drinks in Bangkok. And I'm not talking tourist places, the really good places are 99% Thai only.

Some people here at TV seem not to be aware that there is more than Pad Thai or Som Tam at a street stall.

1000 Baht is not very much for 2 people including drinks in Bangkok. And I'm not talking tourist places, the really good places are 99% Thai only.

Some people here at TV seem not to be aware that there is more than Pad Thai or Som Tam at a street stall.

Even the French restaurant in Sukhumvit 22 with a French chef in the kitchen will give you a nice western meal with wine for under 1000 baht .

Edited by balo

Reading through this thread, it sounds like the two most expensive things (for single people) are rent, food/beer and entertainment. All the other daily life stuff seems to be about the same (electric,internet,phone,transport).

Is that a fair deduction? Rent, food/beer and entertainment are the biggest expenses?

EDIT: For single people *without* dogs

Edited by IsaanUSA

I definitely believe there is a degree of jealousy between the people who get by on a modest sum of money and the people who have a much larger monthly budget. One group can't understand the spending habits of the other. It's sad when the wives are picked on and they nothing to do with this silly thread.

Has anyone figured out who the biggest pennypinchers are according to national origin??? INTERESTING When I was young I remember my dad telling that the Dutch were tight with money.

Just great place you have found and nice to see that some Westerners manage to actually live in Thailand on a budget fitted for Thailand. Btw, nice video clip.thumbsup.gif

As always a lynch with TV members need to tell us that what this couple do is no good enough and that their own budget have to include a rent to 200K a month and the lunch should cost at least 1K.

Well I have no doubt of who are living in Thailand and who are trying to be Santa Claus on the cheap.

Myself and my wife average around 60-70k.

That's comfortable, but not hollywood lifestyle by any means.

To be able to do what you want, when you want, I say a minimum of 50k p/m without dependants for a nice, comfortable life. Roadside rat on a stick for 25b gets old quickly, as does cooking at home 7 nights a week forever. At least 4 nice meals out a week be it lunch or dinner where you eat what you want without looking at the price is nice.

Edited by EmptyBasementBin

I like Pat Thai. (35bht at sit-down shop front)

I also like Cow Soy. (35bht at a traditional Lanna restaurant)

I like Pat Thai. (35bht at sit-down shop front)

I also like Cow Soy. (35bht at a traditional Lanna restaurant)

Nothing wrong with that. But even at simple restaurants or street stalls, we normally have 3-5 dishes plus 2 Heineken and that will end up with around 400 Bt.

Thailand is a great food trip, especially in Bangkok. When you are out of the tourist belt, you often need a car or a good description for the taxi man. So few foreigners do it.

But once at the Thai places, and there are hundreds of them, you are in for great food not comparable to your standard street food place. And when ordering a few dishes plus some beer, it will not be much cheaper than 1000 Baht, often more around 1500 for two.

That's how the middle and upper class Thais dine and I'm surprised that many members here seem not to be aware of it. Or it is so much out of their budget.

I would love to know of any restaurant in Bangkok, walkable from the BTS or MRT, where you can eat a reasonably sized Thai meal with two large bottles of beer for under 1,000 baht. May I add that it needs to be air-conditioned but not in a mall and there must be food without MSG added - the wife's requirements.

Your prayers are answered: Took Lae Dee in Foodland, Sukhumvit Soi 5, near the Nana station.

Single friend in Bangkok and I helped him out w. his budget before he moved here 3 years ago:

Rent(1 bed room near BTS/down town): 15000

electricity/water/maid/tel/internet: 6000

Health Insurance, meds, vitamins: 4000

Transport(taxi,train,bus,moto) 4000

Groceries Incl. some import treats: 5000

Other Incl: gifts, visa, clothes, sport: 4000

Entertainment: 6000

Total: 44.000 Baht/month before any flights(yearly to UK+maybe a trip elsewhere - so Estm.: another 6k/month when averaged out)

He has lived (fine) within that budget for the last 3 years - it includes clubbing and trips to beach Etc.

If he needed to save more for a couple of years he would look at reducing rent to 10k(new studio centrally located by BTS), dropping maid service,drop some import treats and reduce entertainment. Total savings about 10k/mth without TOO much pain he claims. Naturally travel would be reduced and the home leave to UK cut. That would have him around 34k/mth.

Cheers!

1. I need 140k a month for me and the family.

The champagne lifestyle !

Juicy green grass is very expensive did you not know? lol

Excellent photography on the blog! well done.

Did not read it all. What do you do for jobs there?

Edited by maprao

I love the blog! I however looked at the movie on you tube I saw very expensive shampoo in the scene with the shower. Yet the budget says 330 Baht.

Also the picture below says that you made 6 lunches and dinners from the shopping in the picture. Please tell me what you cooked I can make but 1. Also are you vegetarians?

Never the less nice blog.blogpics-1-2.jpg

Edited by maprao

On another point

Some serious camara skills on that blog ,amazing how the right angle and good lighting can make a 40 year old junker look that good ,well done !

You could alway supplement your income with taking pics ,I'd buy some !

Take care

Let's be civil here. The girl is not a day over 30! coffee1.gif
  • Like 1

This post is nothing more than an attempt at promoting their blog!

One of the reasons that many of us use this forum is because it is relatively free from shameless plugging/spam, etc.

If the OP was serious about discussing living costs then they should post the breakdown here and leave out the blog link.

OP, stop trying to farm back-links to your site! wai.gif

[snipped]

Has anyone figured out who the biggest pennypinchers are according to national origin??? INTERESTING When I was young I remember my dad telling that the Dutch were tight with money.

Chinese?

Also the picture below says that you made 6 lunches and dinners from the shopping in the picture. Please tell me what you cooked I can make but 1. Also are you vegetarians?

lol yeah <deleted>? I see lunch for 2 people and a snack for the dog in that picture.

lol yeah <deleted>? I see lunch for 2 people and a snack for the dog in that picture.

I doubt anyone's making 6 lunches and dinners out of that!

We all know Thai bananas don't last longer than one day!