• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai Soi Dairy Cows.

skinny-cows.jpg

Looks more like grass than garbage. blink.png

Yeah, I had a hard time finding the pics of them eating garbage, though I've seen it with my own eyes. Nonetheless, I don't want milk from these sickly looking, skinny, depressed cows.

So this is a joke? Anyone who has ever been to a dairy farm would know the above photo is not of dairy cows. Some of us don't like to see Thailand mocked for no good reason. An out right lie to mock Thai dairy farmers is not a good reason in my book sorry.

You are posting on a Thai forum and the posting rules state 8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais. Thais have enough problems without you making up stories about them and posting pictures of half dead beef cows saying they are for dairy use.

My friend, breathe. Your seriousness is rather humorous. If it was extremely negative (funny, in my opinion, as it's just rather silly), I'm sure our mods would have let me know. It's not your job to do their job. Although, you can help them by using the reporting feature.

How about we call it quits on this one? I don't want to further upset you. Sabai sabai cowboy.gif

skinny-cows.jpg

Looks more like grass than garbage. blink.png

Yeah, I had a hard time finding the pics of them eating garbage, though I've seen it with my own eyes. Nonetheless, I don't want milk from these sickly looking, skinny, depressed cows.

So this is a joke? Anyone who has ever been to a dairy farm would know the above photo is not of dairy cows. Some of us don't like to see Thailand mocked for no good reason. An out right lie to mock Thai dairy farmers is not a good reason in my book sorry.

You are posting on a Thai forum and the posting rules state 8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais. Thais have enough problems without you making up stories about them and posting pictures of half dead beef cows saying they are for dairy use.

My friend, breathe. Your seriousness is rather humorous. If it was extremely negative (funny, in my opinion, as it's just rather silly), I'm sure our mods would have let me know. It's not your job to do their job. Although, you can help them by using the reporting feature.

How about we call it quits on this one? I don't want to further upset you. Sabai sabai cowboy.gif

I would reply but we are prohibited from discussing moderation. I don't think extremely negative posts about Thailand are funny. Unless you are Karine. You took the photo on line from Karine's Blog "Life and Art in the high desert" So it is obvious you did not take the photos and were only trying to slag off Thai people with some pictures of skinny cows you found while searching the INTERNET. I am done with it but I do think people should have the correct impression of you and that is you search the NET for photos you can title and mock Thai people with.

I've seen cows like this all over Thailand, kerryk.

Anyway, I'm sure the TV community is most appreciative that you have been able to expose me to them and to the world of internet readers. You've done Thailand a huge service, and we are all proud of you.

Do you have any hobbies? Just curious?

mcdonalds does really look after quality in their products... they buy beef (and other things) only at farms which are tested, qualified, verified, checked...

where does mcdonalds thailand get their beef from?

mcdonalds does really look after quality in their products... they buy beef (and other things) only at farms which are tested, qualified, verified, checked...

I don't know, but if it's anything like the McDonald's beef in the US, it's of a rather low quality (as compared to Burger King). I would like to know, though.

I don't know, but if it's anything like the McDonald's beef in the US, it's of a rather low quality (as compared to Burger King). I would like to know, though.

yeah and they are also directly responsible for the destruction of huge areas of rain forests, google mcdonalds + destruction.

I wouldn't touch Meiji with a barge-pole, as it's Japanese and recently some of their milk products have been found radioactive. Remember Chernobyl? It was only a few months ago that Britain finally approved the last of their cattle as fit to consume after the radioactive cloud drifted west, and how many years ago was Chernobyl? I don't think Japanese dairy products are any safer right now than their Chinese counterparts. Bit of a lottery though in Thailand with milk companies' overall quality... like everything else.

When in Thailand I find Dutch Mill is okay, but here in Malaysia I find that no matter the brand, it's all down to storage. I've had to return various brands to five different companies' shops, as I've found their milk to be off (due to poor refrigeration - the cold chain as it was known in the UK). My family consume around 2 litres a day, so we get through a fair bit. I'm not brand loyal here in KL, but I do like it fresh. There is definitely more choice here than in Siam, but then there are more real bakeries here as well, so there is more of a dairy culture here.

As I've been drinking milk most of my life, I reckon I know milk, but to each his/her own...

I wouldn't touch Meiji with a barge-pole, as it's Japanese and recently some of their milk products have been found radioactive. Remember Chernobyl? It was only a few months ago that Britain finally approved the last of their cattle as fit to consume after the radioactive cloud drifted west, and how many years ago was Chernobyl? I don't think Japanese dairy products are any safer right now than their Chinese counterparts. Bit of a lottery though in Thailand with milk companies' overall quality... like everything else.

When in Thailand I find Dutch Mill is okay, but here in Malaysia I find that no matter the brand, it's all down to storage. I've had to return various brands to five different companies' shops, as I've found their milk to be off (due to poor refrigeration - the cold chain as it was known in the UK). My family consume around 2 litres a day, so we get through a fair bit. I'm not brand loyal here in KL, but I do like it fresh. There is definitely more choice here than in Siam, but then there are more real bakeries here as well, so there is more of a dairy culture here.

As I've been drinking milk most of my life, I reckon I know milk, but to each his/her own...

Meiji milk sold in Thailand is produced in Thailand from cows in Thailand.

Edited by skybluestu

FYI Meji is the best milk in Thailand so you don't have to worry .

Yes its a Japanese brand but the fresh milk is produced locally in Thailand.

I don't find any milk sold here the same as milk in the West, but I'm used to it now.

However... I've just thrown out a bottle of Dutch Mill milk that's been in my fridge for a few weeks and it still smells only slightly 'off'!

I'm going to experiment with the other brands as I'm curious. And to pre-empt the 'get a life' posts, I prefer to at least know whether the food I'm eating/drinking is full of preservatives!

I don't find any milk sold here the same as milk in the West, but I'm used to it now.

However... I've just thrown out a bottle of Dutch Mill milk that's been in my fridge for a few weeks and it still smells only slightly 'off'!

I'm going to experiment with the other brands as I'm curious. And to pre-empt the 'get a life' posts, I prefer to at least know whether the food I'm eating/drinking is full of preservatives!

How would you know? Food is preserved by being processed at cooler temperatures or by preservatives added. Beef for example could keep for a month it it was ground a few minutes after being killed and flash chilled or it could be preserved by adding preservatives.

How would you know? Food is preserved by being processed at cooler temperatures or by preservatives added. Beef for example could keep for a month it it was ground a few minutes after being killed and flash chilled or it could be preserved by adding preservatives.

Milk only lasts a few days in the West. If its lasting weeks, there's something unpleasant going on.

Milk only lasts a few days in the West. If its lasting weeks, there's something unpleasant going on.

There's a standard followed by the milk industries to determine the shelf life of milk. When raw milk is transferred to milk processing plants, it undergoes various industrial processes to increase the shelf life of milk. The raw milk contains some bacteria that needs to be reduced. Bacterial crowd in milk is reduced by a process known as pasteurization. This increases the shelf life of milk and gives milk a refrigerated shelf life. When milk is pasteurized under High Temperature Short Time (HTST), then milk has a shelf life of 2-3 weeks. Ultra high pasteurized milk has longer shelf life extending from 2-3 months. Further increasing milk shelf life, involves a technology where combination of ultra heat treatment (UHT) with sterile handling and container techniques are carried out. This highly aseptic packaging increases the shelf life of milk to 3 - 4 months.

And you could say the same about chocolate that doesn't melt in the heat in Thailand.

Edited by Semper

I admit, I have no love for the milk in this country.

Thailand does not have a dairy culture and therefor whatever bi-products that come from this milk is substandard (compared to western standard at least). In the west we know what milk can do but in Thailand it's more of something that they just copied from the west, nothing more, nothing less... Doesn't mean I don't buy it, I just don't buy it as often as I did in the west because it feels like a carton filled with disappointments.

I thought I would get used to it but never did. Spent years drinking tea that I was not enjoying in the hope that one day it would taste as normal as drinking tea using western milk does. What a waste! Now I just use the huge number of tea bags I have left to make iced lemon (lime) tea.

For me i do use that meji yellow cab double cream pack as it taste reasonable, the blue cap meji milk tastes horrible, Thais in general are not a dairy products users, so no wonder they don't have a high quality dairy stuff here, even that double cream milk that they claim it's fresh have a very long expiry date period! In dubai where i used to live, the fresh milk used to have a max of 3 days usage date and it tastes real milk.

i guess i can consider myself very lucky to live close to a dairy farm,we buy fresh milk(still warm) at least twice a week for less then half the price it is in the stores.The way the farmer treats his cows is amazing ,he is very gentle with them and he showers them twice a day before milking.

We use the milk raw for drinking and in our coffee,also we use it to make kefir.

I have been raised on a farm and know a few things about cows,we have ten head here ourselves but not for milking purpose.

If raw milk goes sour you can still use it for food but i would not try that with pasteurized milk.

i guess i can consider myself very lucky to live close to a dairy farm,we buy fresh milk(still warm) at least twice a week for less then half the price it is in the stores.The way the farmer treats his cows is amazing ,he is very gentle with them and he showers them twice a day before milking.

We use the milk raw for drinking and in our coffee,also we use it to make kefir.

I have been raised on a farm and know a few things about cows,we have ten head here ourselves but not for milking purpose.

If raw milk goes sour you can still use it for food but i would not try that with pasteurized milk.

It is nice to hear the voice of real experience instead the jaundiced tale telling of the same old Thai bashers over and over again with only the topics differing.

It is the fault of the French. Thais didn't drink milk till they started watching all those TV shows about cooking with French Chefs. And don't get me started on force feeding geese for pate de foie gras. Heck I saw my first movie about that in the 1960's and still those French goose torturers are still at it.

Thailand would have no dairy problems without the French. Ban French food in Thailand should be the motto for any healthy cooking society. Men don't drink milk. Cows drink milk. Real men drink Whiskey.