Getting Married....

I am sure you just had to write the name on the affirmation and it must appear on the translation so that the MFA know who you are marrying.

She does if she later on wants to come to Switzerland without a visa or even become a Swiss citizen. If I take her back we get pension as a married couple and not, as now, as a single person. ( a bit complicated), so they want to know that the marriage is legal from day one.

Sorry I thought that this would apply to other countries also.

Well that is why you go to the Amphur to get married as they hold the records on computer of every legally registered marriage so they would know if she had been or still was married.

I still do not see why the Swiss Embassy needs all those things from your intended wife, the British Embassy only requires her name on the Affirmation to Marry form if I remember correctly.

You remember wrong, the Thai person is not named on the British affirmation.

Why would it be? that form is only to tell the Thai authorities that the British person is not already married.

Sure they are as the MFA would also like to know who you are marrying so that the records in the Amphur tally up with the information given.

Under the first part it says "I am eligible to marry (a thai national) under Thai law.

Am sure the bit in the brackets I put there is where you enter the name of the person you will marry, but since I cannot find mine I cannot be sure.

NOTE - Wife just found it and yes you are correct the name of the person you are marrying does not appear on it,,,,

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 1

Also...can anybody recommend a good translator for the 'Affirmation to Marry' ?

When i came out the consulate in BKK their were plenty of people to do translators who approached me. They translated it, and then off to Laksi for the stamp.

Posted Yesterday, 16:35

snapback.pngbattersea, on Yesterday, 16:30 , said:

Thanks for all your help....do i need to do it like this then ????

1) Apply for a tourist visa entry i n UK...

2) go to LOS

3) get affirmation to marry

4) take it to a translator registered with MFA

5) Take my affirmation and passport to MFA (or send it through registered Translator)..

6) Get docs back and go north.

7) get married and register it in local Ampur Office. (get certified copies also)

Once i am married...how do i remain in the country....????

Under the first part it says "I am eligible to marry (a thai national) under Thai law.

Am sure the bit in the brackets I put there is where you enter the name of the person you will marry, but since I cannot find mine I cannot be sure.

That part is to provide the nationality of the person you intend to marry - not there name - as the same form is used for marriage to a Thai or other foreign national. MFA has no desire to know the name of who you intend to marry and you are free to change your mind to another if you want. The document is your bio data - nothing to do with intended spouse (other than there nationality). Some Embassies may have different wording and request such - but it is not a requirement of Thailand or MFA.

What if i don't have 400k to put into an account ?

What are my options ?

I don't have a Thai bank account and will be arriving in Thailand on a 2 month visa and getting married 4 weeks after i arrive ?

I am 43 , not retired but have a monthly income of £2000 per month....

What if i don't have 400k to put into an account ?

What are my options ?

I don't have a Thai bank account and will be arriving in Thailand on a 2 month visa and getting married 4 weeks after i arrive ?

I am 43 , not retired but have a monthly income of £2000 per month....

You will need to provide evidence of income to your embassy/consulate proving your income to their satisfaction.

Then pay them for a letter confirming your income.

Also..we will be staying in my wife's parent's house until our house is finished being built..is that a problem for immigration ?

Living with Mother is not a problem for immigration, only a problem for you.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Living in parents house is not an issue and is probably where your wife has her home register so will make it easier. If you have income you can get letter from your Embassy of that (only requires 40k baht per month) and use that to obtain change of the tourist visa you should arrive with (get from Consulate prior to leaving) for 2,000 baht providing a new 90 day non immigrant stay and during the last 30 days of that get another income letter to extend for one year.

Thanks everyone...I think I am getting there...........so.........

After i get married......

1) I show the British Embassy my UK statements (showing my 40k ) going in every month...

(if it's my wages...is that ok ?) Get them to verify my income ---can i do this by post because I will be in Nong Khai ?

2) Then go to Immigration (is Nong Khai ok ?) and get an 90 day non immigrant stay visa and then when i have 30 days left ...do the same thing again and extend for one year.???

If i am arriving on a 2 month visa...then I suppose i should open a Thai bank account asap right and then transfer my wages every month to the Thai account ???

Won't Immigration ask why I am getting paid wages in Thailand ???

Thanks everyone...I think I am getting there...........so.........

After i get married......

1) I show the British Embassy my UK statements (showing my 40k ) going in every month...

(if it's my wages...is that ok ?) Get them to verify my income ---can i do this by post because I will be in Nong Khai ?

2) Then go to Immigration (is Nong Khai ok ?) and get an 90 day non immigrant stay visa and then when i have 30 days left ...do the same thing again and extend for one year.???

If i am arriving on a 2 month visa...then I suppose i should open a Thai bank account asap right and then transfer my wages every month to the Thai account ???

Won't Immigration ask why I am getting paid wages in Thailand ???

No If you can document you income from abroad or 400K in bank they are happy.

I transferred 400000 Bath and have no income in Thailand... No problem

(400K must be deposit in a private saving account for 2 month or more before you apply for extension)

And if you earn money in Thailand you need a work permission and a minimum salary of 40000 Bath/month.

http://wp.doe.go.th/.../eng/index.html

And the work you are allowed to do are restricted:

Official exclusion list:

http://wp.doe.go.th/...oyaldecree.html

Later the law was extended so you are not allows to do any work that a Thai can do like "auto mechanic", painting, building, gardening, (begging) etc.

http://wp.doe.go.th/...ng/eng-act.html

Edited by Muggi1968

1. Not sure how UK Embassy handles but they have good website which should spell it out.

2. Suspect you may have to visit Bangkok for the first change of visa status function (most other offices do not do for marriage) so you could use that trip to obtain two Embassy letters (as second one will be required two months later).

Most likely it would as no income letter will be required but you will have to obtain visa for Laos and remain overnight and have marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and home registers. But will require an Embassy letter of income when you are ready to do the extension of stay process.

Thanks Lopburi..thanks very much....

When the Non Imm needs to be extended..then i get the income letter from UK embassy..it's starting to get a bit clearer now...

If i get a Non Imm visa in Savannakhet..will i have to do border runs every 90 days or just report to Nong Khai Immigration ???

A visa would normally be one entry - that is all you need if you intend to extend your stay. If not intending to extend and you obtain a multi entry visa then you must leave the country every 90 days or less and return for a new 90 day stay.

If i am getting married in Nong Khai within the two months i am there...would it be easier to get a Non Imm Visa from Savannakhet in Laos...rather than going to Bangkok ???

If you only want a single entry visa because you plan on getting an extension at immigration you should go to Vientiane for your visa. It's a lot closer to Nong Kai than Savannaket.

• 5 weeks later...

1. a tourist visa will be fine.

2. the whole process of getting the letter, having it translated and certified should take 2 days.

3. After your marriage you can convert to a non-immigrant visa at immigration if you can show an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad) OR can show 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand, in your name.

4. With an extension of stay, you will need a re-entry permit.

For point (3) does that mean that the 40,000 baht per month can be from the UK (and paid into a UK bank account) or does that mean that the income can be from the UK but paid into a Thai account ? Does it matter ?