Getting Married....

Hello.All....

I need some help with the bureaucracy surrounding marriage in LOS...

I am in UK....will move to Thailand in October....and get married in early November.

I will remain in Thailand until July 2013 ..when I will return to UK to work for 6 weeks..

I will return to UK every year for 6 weeks only.

My questions are ...

1) What visa do i get before i go to Thailand ?

2) When i get to BKK...do I get the affirmation from the UK embassy asap ?

3) When I get married what is the visa process after that ?

4) What visa do i need to get to be able to return to UK every year ?

Any help or advice with the whole process would be greatly appreciated...

1. a tourist visa will be fine.

2. the whole process of getting the letter, having it translated and certified should take 2 days.

3. After your marriage you can convert to a non-immigrant visa at immigration if you can show an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad) OR can show 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand, in your name.

4. With an extension of stay, you will need a re-entry permit.

Without the income or bank balance for 2 months the best option is a multi entry non immigrant O visa valid for one year from a Consulate - but you will have to exit/return every 90 days or less with that. For that only Savannakhet currently issues without some financials. KL will issue with 100k in a bank account. Other documents required are marriage certificate/copy and copy of wife id card and home register.

If you can afford, and over 50, the retirement extension option is very easy but requires 65k per month income or 800k in bank account 2 or 3 months each year.

If you haven't looked at it already here is a link to info on getting married on UK embassy website.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-marriage/

The step of getting the translation certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs can be done by the translator for a small fee,

Question..

I got married (thai wife) and get a NON "O" visa for 3 month..

Then I applied for a 12 month married visa which I just received without any problem or delays. .

I just noticed that my passport still contain the TM6 departure card....

Is that normat ?

Yes - that will be returned when/if you depart Thailand and a new one issued when you return. It is vital you keep that in your passport as you will need to submit every time you obtain a new extension or do a 90 day report.

Yes that's normal that your Old Tm Card is still in your passport. Mine is already 1.5 years in my passport as I haven't left the country. You need the TM Card when leaving the country, that's why it's called "Departure card"

Thanks everyone for the help..

Just one question Mario.to your response...

. "After your marriage you can convert to a non-immigrant visa at immigration if you can show an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad) OR can show 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand, in your name."

When i get married do i have to go to Immigration and change to a non-immigrant visa straightaway ? I do not have a Thai Bank account (i am in UK) so how do i show the 40,000 per month ?

I intended on going to LOS in October , getting married in November and staying..is this possible ?

I get paid £2,000 per month in UK ..so I do have the funds..

Thanx All

I just thought it might be a mistake since I now need a re-entry permit if I leave Thailand...

Better be safe than sorrow and ask here...

wai.gif

N.B

So many people in here complaint, about immigration in Thailand??

I have never had any problems with Immigration in Thailand.

Very helpful and never asked me for any tee money.

Thanks everyone for the help..

Just one question Mario.to your response...

. "After your marriage you can convert to a non-immigrant visa at immigration if you can show an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad) OR can show 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand, in your name."

When i get married do i have to go to Immigration and change to a non-immigrant visa straightaway ? I do not have a Thai Bank account (i am in UK) so how do i show the 40,000 per month ?

I intended on going to LOS in October , getting married in November and staying..is this possible ?

I get paid £2,000 per month in UK ..so I do have the funds..

You visit the UK Embassy with proof of your pay and they provide a letter for immigration when you are ready to extend your stay. That will be during the last 30 days of a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry. So if you are over age 50 get such a visa from Honorary Consulate (for retirement) - if not obtain after marriage from a Consulate in area or obtain financial proof and convert entry tourist or visa exempt to non immigrant O on basis of later extension for marriage.

Also...can anybody recommend a good translator for the 'Affirmation to Marry' ?

I can not remember which company we used .... but remember that it must be an authorized translator which have an official stamp for your papers.

And do i need to take any other paperwork (or my wife) to the MFA in Chaengwattana such as my wife's tabien baan or id card ?

You don't even need to go there - translation service can take care of it - so no wife and her paperwork would not be required. You might want to take her there after marriage/name change for passport however (same building).

Actually the MFA may not stamp without the translator being official - are you sure they were not listed with MFA? I have no personal experience since they were located intown but at that time they were very strict on having to be signed off by an official translator prior to MFA registration process.

Thanks everyone for the support and good wishes...

so let me get this straight...sorry ..brain is hurting...

1) Apply for a non immigrant o visa entry in UK...

2) go to LOS

3) get affirmation to marry

4) take it to a translator registered with MFA

5) Take my affirmation and passport to MFA (or send it through registered Translator)..

6) Get docs back and go north.

7) get married and register it in local Ampur Office. (get certified copies also)

8) During my last 30 days...go to Uk embassy ..get proof of pay

9) Take it to MFA and get Non Immi O visa ?

Correct ?

A step by step idiot's guide would probably be beneficial ...

• Like 1

Actually the MFA may not stamp without the translator being official - are you sure they were not listed with MFA? I have no personal experience since they were located intown but at that time they were very strict on having to be signed off by an official translator prior to MFA registration process.

It was not an official one, although it was close to the Embassy, but the translation is not that important, but is a requirement so that they are aware of the impending marriage. It is also a get out for them if the names are spelt incorrectly then the blame lies with the translation agent and not the MFA

Thanks everyone for the support and good wishes...

so let me get this straight...sorry ..brain is hurting...

1) Apply for a non immigrant o visa entry in UK...

2) go to LOS

3) get affirmation to marry

4) take it to a translator registered with MFA

5) Take my affirmation and passport to MFA (or send it through registered Translator)..

6) Get docs back and go north.

7) get married and register it in local Ampur Office. (get certified copies also)

8) During my last 30 days...go to Uk embassy ..get proof of pay

9) Take it to MFA and get Non Immi O visa ?

Correct ?

A step by step idiot's guide would probably be beneficial ...

Sorry how will you get a Non Immigrant O Visa?

you do not get a Visa or extension from the MFA

1. Only an option if over age 50 - you have not said if you are or not.

9. Wife required - it is Immigration rather than MFA - and a fistful of paperwork will be required including marriage certificate/her ID and home register/copies of your passport and departure card/proof of residence/photos in and outside home/map to home/perhaps witness of your living together/tm.7 form and 1,900 baht fee and then a 30 day or more under review period.

Also...can anybody recommend a good translator for the 'Affirmation to Marry' ?

Language lovers translation is the service i used.. They even came to my hotel in Bangkok to collect all the relevant paperwork ....They then send it to my home Address in Buriram...

TEL NO;; 02373 9171

Hi,

I am Swiss, also a certified idiot, but I guess that as the marriage process will be the same for everyone in Thailand, I'll tell you what I was told when I went to the Thai Consulate in Basel YESTERDAY:

The Royal Thai Embassy in Bern told me that I could do it on a tourist visa, in Basel they told me to get an non-immigrant visa 'O', single entry here in Switzerland, it would be easier for me. (well I would have taken a 60 day tourist visa anyway, I'm not sure that I can get all my act together in 30 days and I would then have to pay for two visas).

According to the printed paper that she gave me, I have, in order to get this visa, to get together:

my Passport (not about to run out).

a certificate of my being able to legally get married (in my case, that I am divorced), not older than 6 months.

a recent, original certificate of my guaranteed income or bank balance (฿40 000.- a month minimum or as you know, ฿400 000.-) The lady also advised me to have, if not ฿400 000 in my Thai bank, at least ฿200 000, as my income for the moment will be only ฿47 000.-, this will make things look better in Thailand, nothing to do with the visa. I obviously want to keep as much money in Switzerland as I can.

The addresses of two people in Switzerland that could give references (not family, I suggested my insurance broker + my bank manager).

I should then get my 'O' visa and won't have to present these documents in Thailand. (or forget to take them with me).

My Thai wife to be, who is here in Switzerland at the moment should present to the Swiss embassy in Thailand, before we marry:

Tabien Ban

Birth certificate (seriously: we just found out that she was 6 years younger than she thought ... how's that for a wedding present?...)

A certificate as to her situation (divorced, widowed etc)

An extract from her family register

An extract from the divorce register (if she is divorced)

Thai passport

Evidence of any change of name

The fact that she doesn't have a birth certificate doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment, we need to get one before we marry though.

These documents must be originals or certified by an official as being correct if they are copies.

I must then get the Thai documents translated into German by an officially recognised translator, they gave me a list.

The first thing that I should do in Bangkok is to announce my presence at the Swiss embassy as a new resident of Thailand. On the grounds that I already had to present the above documents in Switzerland, they can then give me a 'Marriage Application' which must also be translated into Thai, as long as my wife also has the correct documents mentioned above. I then get married and go to the immigration offices for a visa extension. I then go back to the Swiss embassy with two official extracts from the marriage register (not the marriage certificate). My marriage will then be officially registered in Switzerland making any future visits to Switzerland much easier for her., certain questions concerning my state pension will be clarified.

I have to pay money.

I imagine that this is more or less applicable to your case also.

I have the German document that I have just quoted from in Thai if anybody is interested.

Edited by cooked

sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear. The embassy will issue me a 'Marriage Application' for The Thai authorities, meaning that they have done the foot work for them and making things easier for all concerned. The other embassies don't do this?

I imagine that they do imagine that most people will be going straight back to Switzerland after their honeymoon.

Edited by cooked

sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear. The embassy will issue me a 'Marriage Application' for The Thai authorities, meaning that they have done the foot work for them and making things easier for all concerned. The other embassies don't do this?

I imagine that they do imagine that most people will be going straight back to Switzerland after their honeymoon.

I still do not see why the Swiss Embassy needs all those things from your intended wife, the British Embassy only requires her name on the Affirmation to Marry form if I remember correctly.

It is you getting the clearance from your Embassy to marry, she has nothing to do with your Embassy at all.

She does if she later on wants to come to Switzerland without a visa or even become a Swiss citizen. If I take her back we get pension as a married couple and not, as now, as a single person. ( a bit complicated), so they want to know that the marriage is legal from day one.

Sorry I thought that this would apply to other countries also.

I still do not see why the Swiss Embassy needs all those things from your intended wife, the British Embassy only requires her name on the Affirmation to Marry form if I remember correctly.

You remember wrong, the Thai person is not named on the British affirmation.

Why would it be? that form is only to tell the Thai authorities that the British person is not already married.