Buying New Car

I am sure this question has been answered many times over but can't seem to find the right answer.

I plan to buy a car within a month (as soon as I clear up the driver license issue). I noticed disproportionate number of pickup trucks here in Chiang Rai. I think the reason is because of the lower price compare to passenger cars. I checked out a few and leaning towards pickups. My budget is about 750k. Can someone suggest a good pickup for the buck?

I think all about the same,

in this price range, in automatic i think your only option is Nissan

Champ is good, Dmax is good-both hold its value

The new arrival Mazda in my opinion is great looking car, but unsure on resale.

You also need to consider the waiting time you prepared to accept. Some are 4 weeks and some are 10 times longer the wait

You need to decide what you really need/want - 2 door, 4 door, 2wd, 4wd, manual, auto - all of which have an effect on the price and then see which models fall into your bracket.

Then, if your like me, you will want a test drive which is where you may need to be very patient - or you may be lucky up there.....

As phi says you then have to factor in availability - which could vary from one dealer to another of the same make.

Enjoy!

You need to decide what you really need/want - 2 door, 4 door, 2wd, 4wd, manual, auto - all of which have an effect on the price and then see which models fall into your bracket.

Then, if your like me, you will want a test drive which is where you may need to be very patient - or you may be lucky up there.....

As phi says you then have to factor in availability - which could vary from one dealer to another of the same make.

Enjoy!

when it comes to test drive, i would not hold your breath.

I know when i went to buy a car, not only i could not test drive any, for most of the time i could not even see the model i wanted. though all of my experience was in Pattaya. I hear BKK is much better for car buying.

At Nissan dealer, there was simply no one there to serve me, because all were out for lunch-twice

At Isuzu, they did not have show cars to even see, but i was told it looks same same but different biggrin.png

Ford,had 2 door model to show, but it could not be driven

Toyota, not only did not allow test drives but could not even tell the difference in models and why there was a price different from 660k-990k

Mitsubishi had test drive me now sticker, only to be told that no test drives and stickers were for decorations i guess.

Chevy was friendly and did allow test drive, BUT of a different modelsmile.png

Edited by phl

I know when i went to buy a car, not only i could not test drive any, for most of the time i could not even see the model i wanted. though all of my experience was in Pattaya. I hear BKK is much better for car buying.

At Nissan dealer, there was simply no one there to serve me, because all were out for lunch-twice

At Isuzu, they did not have show cars to even see, but i was told it looks same same but different biggrin.png

Toyota, not only did not allow test drives but could not even tell the difference in models and why there was a price different from 660k-990k

Mitsubishi had test drive me now sticker, only to be told that no test drives and stickers were for decorations i guess.

I had similar experiences with Pattaya dealers. They are astoundingly crappy.

For Nissan, anyone in Pattaya should go straight to the big new Nissan place in Laem Chabang (it's not even on the Nissan website). Talk about chalk and cheese.

For the other brands: good luck. sad.png

For 750K you should be able to, ahem, pick up a two year old 3.0 Isuzu auto, 4 door with around 30k on the clock. If you look through the forum you'll see a couple of threads discussing the same thing where someone did exactly that.

For 750K you should be able to, ahem, pick up a two year old 3.0 Isuzu auto, 4 door with around 30k on the clock. If you look through the forum you'll see a couple of threads discussing the same thing where someone did exactly that.

The pick up I had in mind was manual with two door 2x. Now I am not sure if I want to drive on the right seat on the left side of the road with stick. Not interested in 2nd hand. I may just increase my self imposed budget and go for automatic. Any suggestions?

Edited by mikekim1219

The pick up I had in mind was manual with two door 2x. Now I am not sure if I want to drive on the right seat on the left side of the road with stick. Not interested in 2nd hand. I may just increase my self imposed budget and go for automatic. Any suggestions?

The Mazda BT50 and the Ford Ranger (same vehicle really), both have excellent reviews and safety ratings, I believe you can slip into a new one for slightly over your stated budget. As for auto vs manual: that's a no brainer, try driving a manual P/U around town for a few days and you'll regret it, sorry about having to drive on the wrong side of the road though, it can't be helped. :)

Not in any particular order

Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda Mitsu or Ford

All good cars, First 2 hold value really well, other 3 have slightly better specs.

If i were you, i decide first on the looks you prefer, then see the dealers for delivery time and who is throwing in most freebies.

Do note, some dealers are so unpleasant that it makes you not want to buy that brand at all.

This was my experience with Isuzu, the dealers were so rude and rude and more rude that i decided i never want to own Isuzu

All the brands do manual 2D 2WD models for that price or less. For automatic your choice will be hugely restricted as most brands only do auto in 4D and larger engine sizes. Nissan is the main exception. I initially thought about a 2D 2WD auto Nissan (730K) but was put off by the poor fuel economy.

If you can wait Ranger 2.2 XLT 4 Dr A/T is 809K...best deal in town...

how long is the wait?

The best will be to ask your nearest dealer...I don't even want to guess,since it varies between dealers...

Enjoy!

I was able to test drive new prius at my local dealer. Only catch was the test drive was limited to within the dealership's lot and lasted for 5 mins...

Enjoy!

I was able to test drive new prius at my local dealer. Only catch was the test drive was limited to within the dealership's lot and lasted for 5 mins...

they must of been scared you may get the feel of the car

I was thinking of this but it had bad review. Lack of interior space and poor handling. Also high depreciation in Thailand. But I do like the idea they won't make it any more new models. It will always be the latest model.

Edited by mikekim1219

I looked at this. Long delays.

Even ignoring that, the basic spec seemed to be pretty low and there were a lot of extras to add.

Also the dealer I saw had no apparent desire to negotiate or offer any freebies. You paid the list price and you got the car and the warranty and that was that.

I was thinking of this but it had bad review. Lack of interior space and poor handling. Also high depreciation in Thailand. But I do like the idea they won't make it any more new models. It will always be the latest model.

As I've said the New Ranger is the best deal...if you can wait...and mikekim this is a first time that I've heard,that the Ranger had bad review(!)...lack of interior space(!!)...poor handling(!!!)...????...you've mix something up here...smile.png

Even ignoring that, the basic spec seemed to be pretty low and there were a lot of extras to add.

Also the dealer I saw had no apparent desire to negotiate or offer any freebies. You paid the list price and you got the car and the warranty and that was that.

...maybe because it IS the best truck(!) for now,so they think they don't need to squad...TIT...wink.png ...enjoy your Triton it has a very good engine and...hmmm,that's it...smile.png

...maybe because it IS the best truck(!) for now,so they think they don't need to squad...TIT...wink.png ...enjoy your Triton it has a very good engine and...hmmm,that's it...smile.png

Most of the pickup are only used to go to the local shops why not buy a Tata.

As I've said the New Ranger is the best deal...if you can wait...and mikekim this is a first time that I've heard,that the Ranger had bad review(!)...lack of interior space(!!)...poor handling(!!!)...????...you've mix something up here...smile.png

I tried to find the site that I ran into with review. I can't locate it now. I googled and read whole bunch or reviews. Some reviews give credit for its affordability and utility functions however.

Most of the pickup are only used to go to the local shops why not buy a Tata.

Can't fit 4 golf bags. I plan ride my motorcycle for local shopping.. biggrin.png

I tried to find the site that I ran into with review. I can't locate it now. I googled and read whole bunch or reviews. Some reviews give credit for its affordability and utility functions however.

...are you sure it was not a Tata review laugh.png ...again "lack of interior space"???...in the new Ranger???!!!...have you seen one ?cheesy.gif