Thai Tennis Star Benefits From Meditating As Monk

sabaijai

Thai tennis star benefits from meditating as monk

AP, Jan 11, 2006

SYDNEY, Australia -- Far removed from the world of overhead slams, whistling crowds and jet travel, Paradorn Srichaphan turned to a simpler life: 4 a.m. wake-ups and long hours of fasting and meditation.

<< Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan acknowledges the crowd after winning his first-round match against the Czech Republic's Radek Stepanek at the Sydney International Tennis tournament January 10, 2006. Srichaphan defeated Stepanek 6-3 6-4. [Reuters]

Asia's top tennis player spent time as a Buddhist monk last month. He adopted the Buddhist name Mahaviro, meaning "great and brave," for his seven days in a temple outside Bangkok. His head was shaved in a traditional ceremony before donning the monk's saffron-colored robes.

"It was pretty interesting for me that week, my time away from tennis," said Paradorn, his hair still short. "It was a really calm week. Everything I have — the phone, the family — I just cut it, left it behind, walked into the temple and became a monk."

It is customary for Thai men to serve as a monk for at least one period in their lives as a way of showing religious devotion.

Paradorn decided it was his time in December. He felt himself fading under the pressure of public expectations after the highs of late 2002 and 2003, when he reached a career-high No. 9 in the rankings. The 26-year-old player slipped to No. 42 and failed to add to his five career titles in 2005.

On Tuesday, Paradorn beat seventh-seeded Radek Stepanek 6-3, 6-4 to reach the second round of the Sydney International, the main tuneup for next week's Australian Open. Paradorn next faces Ivo Karlovic of Croatia.

"It all started so quickly for me, in 2002, and it continued for 2 1/2 years, then I started to drop my ranking," he said. "I'd been playing a lot of tennis, plus there's always new players coming up."

"There was also a lot more expectations from home," he added. "There's always more happening off the court that you have to think about that sometimes makes you feel under pressure."

The strict daily regimen gave him new perspective.

"I feel like I'm more relaxed," he said. "I'm still going to play another four of five years and my goal is to try and make it back into the top 20. But I feel like whatever is going to happen, let it happen. If you go out there and if you try your best, that's what counts."

He says the time meditating will help his concentration while playing.

"You have to mix what you learn from the temple to be on the court," he said. "I can use that one week I spent in the temple. I can be really calm."

• 2 weeks later...

Despite comming from an Asian foot to eye sports oriented culture, the Dude, has a nice backhand, when it is on.... It is stroking the ball, not the ego that gets the ball over the net.

Ranked in the top 50 in the world is quite an achievement.. and he has shown he is happy with that ranking, even if his countrymen, think he is the next comming of Raul Ramirez. His game is at where it will always be.. just like with VJ.. for both have lacked, due to socialization and not technique how to put away the other player on the side of the net.. They lack the Aussie efficiency, the American Brash, the European artisty, and the Nastase Mouth of gamesmanship, that is so much part of this new game.

Yes, at time his strokes are work of beauty; reminds me of the days of Charlie Paserille; by far the best stroker the game has had.. if only for that Tie breaker...with Pancho.. things would have been different.

The inner game of tennis is won grinding it out on the court, doing the drill, covering the blister, running done the balls..The Vic Braden Way...

YADA YADA YADA... Ad out

He lost in the first round of the Australian Open, after being up two sets. The benefits of being a monk for seven days, on his tennis career, seem yet to be achieved? I like the guy, he seems nice and the other players seem to like him, but when the going gets tough he always seems to fold like lawn furniture at the end of summer, quickly and easily.

Despite comming from an Asian foot to eye sports oriented culture, the Dude, has a nice backhand, when it is on.... It is stroking the ball, not the ego that gets the ball over the net.

Ranked in the top 50 in the world is quite an achievement.. and he has shown he is happy with that ranking, even if his countrymen, think he is the next comming of Raul Ramirez. His game is at where it will always be.. just like with VJ.. for both have lacked, due to socialization and not technique how to put away the other player on the side of the net.. They lack the Aussie efficiency, the American Brash, the European artisty, and the Nastase Mouth of gamesmanship, that is so much part of this new game.

Yes, at time his strokes are work of beauty; reminds me of the days of Charlie Paserille; by far the best stroker the game has had.. if only for that Tie breaker...with Pancho.. things would have been different.

The inner game of tennis is won grinding it out on the court, doing the drill, covering the blister, running done the balls..The Vic Braden Way...

YADA YADA YADA... Ad out

I think he is just the begining. He will open the door for other Thais and Asians as has....oh man I am pissed now. I can't remember his name and I know I should. Micheal Chan, Chen. Why, Can't I remember? I am sure you know who I speak of. Well, he has working with Chinese children in Tennis training, so I think there will be a solid future of Asain tennis stars, maybe they will have their own regional styles.

I think he is just the begining. He will open the door for other Thais and Asians as has....oh man I am pissed now. I can't remember his name and I know I should. Micheal Chan, Chen. Why, Can't I remember? I am sure you know who I speak of. Well, he has working with Chinese children in Tennis training, so I think there will be a solid future of Asain tennis stars, maybe they will have their own regional styles.

Michael Chang, Born in Hoboken, New Jersey, US. :o

Edited by Oishi

Michael Chan is a product of California's USTA Hardcourt training.. Truly an AMERICAN Tennis THANG.

His play used to reflect an inner calm as the 6-2 hulky servers tried to over power hit.. but he just returned the stroke in his efficient manner..

NO.. Mike is not in this group....A true Asia Player.... home grown.. Regional differences.. meaning.. a passive counter punch game.. BORING.. Need player makers.. Some with the style of VJ..

But hey.. the women, kicked booty in Doubles..Aussie Open Doubles Champs.. ..Way to Go and kuko to the Chinese gals..

Glen Michibata of Canada was great as a junior but fizzled as a pro...

I think spending just a bit less time with local "supermodels" will help his game more than 7 days in the monkhood, but of course that's just MHO.

:o

Well I guess the more time you spend in the monkhood the less time you spend with supermodels.....and....not to be directing this comment at you but doesn't it seem like this thread should be moved to the sports forum since it really doesn't seem to be Buddhist related?

Michael Chang, Born in Hoboken, New Jersey, US. :o

Yes, thank you!

Michael Chan is a product of California's USTA Hardcourt training.. Truly an AMERICAN Tennis THANG. Yes, and now he is training Chinese to play. Think what might come from that.

His play used to reflect an inner calm as the 6-2 hulky servers tried to over power hit.. but he just returned the stroke in his efficient manner..

NO.. Mike is not in this group....A true Asia Player.... home grown.. Regional differences.. meaning.. a passive counter punch game.. BORING.. Need player makers.. Some with the style of VJ..

But hey.. the women, kicked booty in Doubles..Aussie Open Doubles Champs.. ..Way to Go and kuko to the Chinese gals..

Glen Michibata of Canada was great as a junior but fizzled as a pro...

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it's a lack of access to supermodels (hard to believe in SoCal), or regaining that competitive spirit that might have been lost with his one-week stint as a monk, but Paradorn seems to be doing pretty well at this week's ATP Master's event in Indian Wells (Pacific Life Open). I think he's through to the semis? Maybe facing Federer next?