Tighter Controls Planned For TV Broadcasting

Jai Dee

THE SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT AND HUMAN SECURITY MINISTRY TO TIGHTEN CONTROLS ON TV PROGRAMS

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry prepares to tighten controls on TV programs, as some inappropriate pictures had been shown on air.

Social Development and Human Security Minister Wattana Muangsook (วัฒนา เมืองสุข) said that he ordered permanent secretary Wallop Ploytaptip (วัลลภ พลอยทับทิม) to invite social academics for a discussion on January 13. He said the meeting will discuss forbidden characteristics of TV program shown during 6PM and 9PM, as they can affect children and society. HE said that the advertisements, music videos, and news program will be controlled, as violent scene as well as pictures showing sexual contents can negatively impact youngsters. He said that the meeting will set up rules, adding that each channel will be assigned to monitor the programs. He said that if inappropriate pictures are still shown, the programs will be removed immediately.

The minister added that the Social Development and Human Security Ministry prepares to coordinate with the Public Relations Department in setting up regulations forbidding shows that should not be aired during 6-9 PM so that all TV stations can follow.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 January 2006

I have worked in television most of my working life (except for 8 years in the radio business) and I must say that I was unimpressed by local news programmes that seemed to have no sense of propriety at all when it came to showing pictures of victims of crime or accident.

I absolutely agree with controls on this sort of image.

As for controls on the showing of violent or sexual content at times when children are viewing, I have no problem with that either. These controls can usually be applied by the stations themselves, and appropriate warnings can easily be put to air just at the commencement of the programme, as in places like Australia or the UK.

A standardised set of rules defining what can be shown and when is definitely an advantage - unfortunately of course they would never legislate to ban the local soapies, or arrest some of the actors for aggravated assault of the sensibilities... :o

As for UBC, control over satellite and cable TV viewers is very easy - the systems that control access to certain channels and to certain content already have the capability to control viewing of Adult content, and the setting of Parental control passwords to allow those channels to be locked out unless the password is entered.

We have the technology - but it's the application that is a can of worms...

Edited by Greer

A, yes, enforcing more governmental censorship in the name of the children. And the clueless cheer them on...

Why not ban everything, that might possibly be harmful to children! What happened to parental control and being able to watch what you like as an adult, providing it does no harm to anyone else? As I said earlier, more stupdity for the masses. Might just have to give up my subscription to UBC. The other day I was watching TV5 and there was a nooky scence and this red screen came up. I wonder if they have started already?

A, yes, enforcing more governmental censorship in the name of the children. And the clueless cheer them on...

Why not ban everything, that might possibly be harmful to children! What happened to parental control and being able to watch what you like as an adult, providing it does no harm to anyone else? As I said earlier, more stupdity for the masses. Might just have to give up my subscription to UBC. The other day I was watching TV5 and there was a nooky scence and this red screen came up. I wonder if they have started already?

this has slowly been taken away, not only in los but most western countries. it's as if the governments do not trust the parenting skills of the masses.

ok there are some bad parents but they are the minority, and not the majority :o

and the governments will say it's in your best interests :D

Indeed. That is the sad case in many countries, for instance the US, but many European are following along, to limit freedom in the name of protecting the people. And it doesn't matter if it's the left or right that is in control it seems, it ends up at the same place...

and the governments will say it's in your best interests

As long as I can think, I will always decide that one for myself!

i agree 100% withyou on that, but sadly thinking and decision making is being taken away from us in the name of progress of course in a very clever manner.

govenments blame violence on tv, so that gives them a reason to censor what we can watch and that goes for sexual activity as well

but governments are the most violent institutions themselves. history will tell you that.

and as for sexual morality just look at the top politicians and leaders over the last decade, and they are preaching to us :o