70+ Couple Want To Holiday In Pattaya. Would Like Some Advice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Pattaya is so much more than old sexpats and hookers. If the seedy parts are too tempting for you, that's your problem and nothing to do with the place at all.

What? You can't walk anywhere within the city without hearing "hey handsome man!", or "hey dtat-ling!".

The trials and tribulations of being a 'Hansum Man' cannot be underestimated in Pattaya!wai2.gif

I was into the post 1 line and immediately thought, Hua Hin.

All the recommendations for Hua Hin are right. It is walkable, safe and has sufficient diversions including katoey shows. There are fast food joints, near the beach and accommodation is affordable. They even have a Sizzler at market village. Having spent too long in Phuket I haven't a kind word to say about Phuket or its evil stepsister Pattaya. I'm off to Udon Thani for a few days to visit a friend and Udon is worth a visit. It's dull, and safe, which is perfect for old people. There is also Krabi. It's a better behaved version of Phuket.

If you love your parents, you will not allow them to go to pattaya. Seriously, what kind of son are you to even allow them to consider Pattaya?

Not really true though,there's lots of nice places in Phuket as long as you're not a tourist.I used to live in Kathu and that was great,Central Festival just down the road for supplies and great to just jump on the motorbike for a tour of the island early afternoon!smile.png

I agree that other beach areas are much better than Pattaya, not so much for safety but for the impression they'll get of Thailand.

But the hills of Chiang Rai/ Chiang Mai are a must-see for me, as is Angkor Wat.

All can be done on a very reasonable budget if you don't need "star" hotels.

Have to agree with this,the Chiang Rai to Mai Sae run is beautiful mountain scenery and probably the most picturesque part of Thailand I've ever seen was Loei. :

http://www.websanom.com/accommodation_loei.php

Can’t really eat Thai food and can’t be too far from Mc Donald’s, Pizza

/Pasta restaurants the beach and English speaking Thais &

westerners. Mum also loves a beer at the bars and chatting to cheeky

bar girls. She hates quiet nights and layed back atmospheres.

What are you waiting for? An invitation from the governor?

I'm female and I loved Pattaya. I saw families walking about in the evening and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I don't know what all the negative crap is about. The place is ALIVE like a party town on steroids. You can find the creepy bits of nightlife if you want it, but it's easy to ignore if you want. There are lots of places to eat western food or a mixture of both. Good seafood but not cheap. Jomptien is a little out of the way but still has a little bit of nightlife. The beaches are better on Koh Larn Island anyway, and the ferry is cheap. There are lots of places to shop from the junky stuff to the higher end stuff. Accommodation is cheaper if you get off the beach row area. The OP's mom sounds like a lady I would love to meet. She sounds like a winner.

I have been to Pattaya many times over the years, firstly as a relative youngster on business (yes business), and more recently with my girlfriend. I am now in my 60's, still working and still full of vitality, and I am quite happy to spend time in Pattaya. I do however stay in 4/5 * hotels out of holiday season mostly wherever I travel so that helps. As long as the usual safety rules are applied, Pattaya is as enjoyable as anywhere a fun loving broad minded couple or individual can visit. Age is largely irrelevant.

I think Pattaya will be fine for them, just stay in one of the better resorts near the beach, so they can relax in a nice pool & gardens, while venturing out for the food/shopping/nightlife when they wish to.

Somewhere like the Amari, at the north end of the beach, perhaps ?

A couple of weeks back I was talking to my 82 year old mother about a trip she made to Thailand around 10 years ago. We stayed in Bangkok for a while, toured the NE and spent a week in Pattaya. Her comment on the trip: 'I really liked Pattaya': a little surprising but true! In our case we admittedly spent quite a bit of time touring around the various parks and zoos,and also fishing in Jomtien, but we did visit the odd beer bar, the Pig and Whistle and quite a few restaurants.