Insured But No Cover

harrry

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/high-price-for-thai-scooter-crash-20120704-21h3r.html

A Perth man who had "full cover insurance" is facing a $16,000 medical bill after a scooter crash in Thailand.

Sean Kenzie believed he was fully covered for accidents during his first overseas holiday but was shocked to learn – too late - there was a clause in his contract that excluded riding a scooter.

The 27-year-old roofer is in hospital with broken ribs, a collapsed lung, a split liver, a broken cheekbone and a deep wound to his neck after he was involved in a crash on the holiday island.

next shock is when he gets the bill for the scooter.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the young man. I guess he should have read the policy. But the travel agent/insurance salesman should have mentioned it, one would think.

She was also concerned that he may not be able to leave Thailand until the bill was paid.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/high-price-for-thai-scooter-crash-20120704-21h3r.html#ixzz1zjpQU3gI

I would say that is a big concern as I'm pretty sure he won't be able to leave until his bill is paid.

No clause in my insurance policy about riding motorbikes

But if you do not have a license to ride a bike that could be the reason he is not covered

At least 95% of Australians who hire bikes here do not have a valid license

That's correct petercallen - no licence to ride - no insurance coverage.

"At least 95% of Australians who hire bikes here do not have a valid license" - I would say at least 95% of people from all around the world that come here do not have a licence to ride, and therefore, are not covered by their travel insurance.

They call the scars from motorcycle accidents in Thailand - "The Thailand Tattoo" but they are the lucky ones. The not so fortunate are the guys like the subject of this thread, then you have the ones that pay the ultimate sacrifice and go home in a body bag.

If Phuket truly wants to be a world class travel destination, it will need a proper public transport system.

• Like 1

But if you do not have a license to ride a bike that could be the reason he is not covered

Quite a few travel insurance policies will have such a clause, denying cover for riding a motorbike. Not having a license to ride a motorbike and there not having cover is far less common that a lot of people think.

Edited by stevenl

Ms Myles said she'd since found out that while they were on the highest policy, they were not on the highest premium, which meant riding scooters was not covered by their plan.

"We had no idea, we thought the travel agent would've told us if there was something like that," she said.

"We thought we had the highest level of insurance, so we were of the understanding that we were covered for everything."

Ms Myles said she had no idea how the couple would pay the medical expenses, and she and Mr Kenzie's family had been trying to raise funds.

Insurance Council of Australia spokesman Campbell Fuller warned the cheapest plan is not always the most appropriate for travellers.

"Travel insurance policies have various exclusions, which identify issues and circumstances under which the policy will not cover the traveller.

"Before purchasing a policy, travellers should ensure they read the Product Disclosure Statement and understand the inclusions and exclusions. Riding a scooter, moped or motorcycle is a common exclusion from travel insurance policies, or may require an additional premium to be paid," Mr Fuller said in a statement.

Bad luck for the guy, but yet another person blaming others for their own failure to take responsibilty.

I've taken out scores of these travel policies over the years, and while I don't read all the small print on them, I always check what's covered and what isn't. I have never expected someone else to read it out to me.

I know, for instance, that bungy jumps are excluded, and that's the reason I've never jumped off a very high place with a lacky band tied to my ankles.

• Like 1

Any pointers to a decent insurance company name then???

they do not exist ...... someone please give me a happy story about an insurance company ( other than a minor car bingle) especially when it comes to personal accident and sickness or travel insurance ... lying thieves .....one rung lower than banks and two below lawyers

• Like 1

Easy to be wise after the event but when someone pays money to a travel agent he should be able to rely on their advice. As far as insurance goes most travellers here will end up on a motorcycle at some stage. It should be the travel agent that advises him that his Complete Cover needs more to cover that. He should also know that if he travels in many tour vans he will not be covered as it is not a scheduled service. He should know to that most of the tour buses intercity will not be covered for the same reason.

Sorry, expecting the victim to know this just does not add up.

I feel sorry for the young man. I guess he should have read the policy. But the travel agent/insurance salesman should have mentioned it, one would think.

She was also concerned that he may not be able to leave Thailand until the bill was paid.

Read more: http://www.watoday.c...l#ixzz1zjpQU3gI

I would say that is a big concern as I'm pretty sure he won't be able to leave until his bill is paid.

Today I was talking to, I guess you would call her " guest relations manager " in the matter of...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566999-alpons-room-706-bkk-phuket-hospital/

Part of the conversation was her statement " that most people regard us as a hospital, that we may well be but first of all we are a business and like any other ensure, by whatever means, that our patients debts will be paid before discharge.

Blunt Facts.

Today I was talking to, I guess you would call her " guest relations manager " in the matter of...

http://www.thaivisa....huket-hospital/

Part of the conversation was her statement " that most people regard us as a hospital, that we may well be but first of all we are a business and like any other ensure, by whatever means, that our patients debts will be paid before discharge.

Blunt Facts.

I was going to say in my first post that I hope he's not staying at Bangkok Phuket Hospital... You've hit the nail on the head as far as their "care" is concerned. Money!

they do not exist ...... someone please give me a happy story about an insurance company ( other than a minor car bingle) especially when it comes to personal accident and sickness or travel insurance ... lying thieves .....one rung lower than banks and two below lawyers

I couldn't agree more. In any town or city the most palatial buildings belong to insurance companies.

Where does all this wealth come from ? the mug who believes they are " fully insured" and finds out otherwise. A 20 floor insurance company will probably have 1/5 of their floor space solely devoted to their legal department, whose sole job it is to ensure a payout, if any, is a small as possible. They have unlimited resources to fight any claim you might have. They are true scum of the earth. Bookmakers without controls.

BTW. You forgot to mention, in a class well above insurance are doctors and plumbers. Doctors have a snake entwined around a sceptre as their logo and bury their mistakes. Plumbers have a snake around a drainpipe as theirs and blame the blockage on anything other than what it is.... cheesy.gif

• Like 2

When your travel insurance does not cover riding a scooter (being the actual person in control of the bike) does this also

include motorbike taxis?

Iv'e never ridden on one because of the inherent danger, not because I'm uninsured. Insurance doesn't bring you back to life anyway. I would assume other than it being specifically stated as being OK it would be a No No. The Company would say sue the drivers insurance.cheesy.gif say no more.

I wouldn't like to put it to the test but I guess a bit like going for a tandem skydive. If your policy says " no jumping out of planes " that's it cut and dried. As I said in the post above, despite what you read in the policy or are told buy the salesman, their legal department has far more resources than yours.

http://www.thaivisa....huket-hospital/

Blunt Facts.

I was going to say in my first post that I hope he's not staying at Bangkok Phuket Hospital... You've hit the nail on the head as far as their "care" is concerned. Money!

Yea Jimmy.

Not yet privy to the real figures yet but I'm led to believe 200,000 B went pretty quick for the first week.

No ICU, no theatre, a few tests and X rays, private room. a few shots of morphine. To add insult to injury I arrived 2 days ago to visit and found him out of bed slumped on the floor. Went back 5 rooms to the nurses station, NO ONE there. Yelled at the top of my voice for 2 minutes before anyone came. It was a security guard to see what the commotion was about. Another 2 minutes before a nurse arrived then another 2 minutes before another. The 3 of us got him back into bed.15 mins later the doctor arrived and said what's the problem? GRRRR. Those that know me can imagine the payout.

Alpons told me he was pressing his buzzer for 2 or 3 mins. cause he wanted a piss and when no one came tried to make it to the loo. The poor guys in Gods waiting room, cant even stand up, let alone walk. That night they tied him to the bed. We have since organised 24 hr observatory attention.

Answer from the hospital rep. " Well we can't be expected to supervise our patients 24 hrs a day "

My answer was no, of course not, but at 30,000 baht a day plus plus you can be expected to have a nurse at the floor station to answer the call button.

Contemplating moving him elsewhere.

Yep Money. Money. Money. Sorry not enough, give us more.

End of rant.

Bad luck for the guy, but yet another person blaming others for their own failure to take responsibilty.

I've taken out scores of these travel policies over the years, and while I don't read all the small print on them, I always check what's covered and what isn't. I have never expected someone else to read it out to me.

I know, for instance, that bungy jumps are excluded, and that's the reason I've never jumped off a very high place with a lacky band tied to my ankles.

Spot on. How many insurance company reps read out all the terms, restrictions, conditions and limitations to you when you take out any form of insurance policy? So when you fail to take the supremely basic and consumately sensible approach of reading the exclusions for yourself, the insurance rep is in the wrong? Gawd...

His insurance probably didn't cover driving a hovercraft or, sky-diving. Do they expect the travel agent to point that out, too?

exactly .... they are just the middle man ... but it takes a certain type to sell insurance ...having a black heart is a pre requisite

• Like 1

Quite a few travel insurance policies will have such a clause, denying cover for riding a motorbike. Not having a license to ride a motorbike and there not having cover is far less common that a lot of people think.

Not just travel insurance policies but accident benefit coverages under automobile insurance policies that extend to cover on a worldwide basis. The clause is very distinct that illegal activities are not insured.

PROHIBITED USE

The Insured shall not drive or operate the automobile nor permit the use of the automobile by others:

a) unless the driver is for the time being authorized by law or qualified to drive or operate the automobile, or while he is under the age of 16 years or under such other age as is prescribed by law to drive an automobile;

b ) for any illicit trade or transportation;

c) in any race or speed test.

Are some of you arguing that an insurance policy should be expected to cover a driver that drives without a valid driver's permit? In many jurisdictions it is illegal to offer insurance on criminal acts. Driving without a valid driver's permit is an offense subject to criminal penalties in many jurisdictions. Even if the insurer wanted to insurer the activity, the law would forbid it. This is one of the reasons why physical damage to vehicles caused by the insured's drunk driving is no longer insurable.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I have personal accident insurance with the SCB, i have had 2 claims one involving a motorbike

Both times i used the BPH and the insurance payed all costs with no hassles

I have personal accident insurance with the SCB, i have had 2 claims one involving a motorbike

Both times i used the BPH and the insurance payed all costs with no hassles

wait until you have a claim that far outways the policy you have paid ....red flag !!! the first step is for the insurance company to get out of it with little or no cost ... example ... you break your hip in the accident and need a replacement ... they will ask for all your prior medical reports , if they find u have had anything , anything that u did not disclose ... the smallest issue, they will decline your claim because of non disclosure on your behalf ..the best u can hope for is a refund on your premium.They know you will not try and take them to the courts, because they have more lawyers and all the money from other premiums to drag it out until your dead if necessary ... remember we take out insurance in case of a major accident or injury , the small stuff most people can handle without insurance ...the companies agenda is to pay the small claims and fight the big ones ...its how they make money ....