Insured But No Cover

harrry

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The relevant clause in my insurance policy states

you are not insured if you ride a motorcycle (except as a pillion passenger) without a license that is valid in the relevant country

Out of interest I just downloaded a comprehensive travel insurance policy for Thailand and the PDS does have a heading for motorbike accident cover, so easy to locate. Wording as follows:

Motorcycle / Moped Riding

If You wish to be covered for riding a motorcycle (including a moped) as the driver or pillion passenger during Your journey, You must pay an extra premium. Please ask the Providing Entity for a quote. Even if You pay the extra premium You will only be covered if:

• the engine capacity is 200cc or less;

• You are wearing a helmet;

• You are not participating in a professional capacity;

• You are not racing; and

• whilst in control of a motorcycle, You hold a licence valid in the relevant country.

you are not insured if you ride a motorcycle (except as a pillion passenger) without a license that is valid in the relevant country

Out of interest I just downloaded a comprehensive travel insurance policy for Thailand and the PDS does have a heading for motorbike accident cover, so easy to locate. Wording as follows:

If You wish to be covered for riding a motorcycle (including a moped) as the driver or pillion passenger during Your journey, You must pay an extra premium. Please ask the Providing Entity for a quote. Even if You pay the extra premium You will only be covered if:

• whilst in control of a motorcycle, You hold a licence valid in the relevant country.

Interesting last line. In theory I believe you need a Thai or international licence to ride a bike in Thailand, which would preclude most tourists who rent them.

I wouldn't expect all wordings to be so tight but it shows the importance of reading the policy, especially if you doing anything a bit risky.

Interesting last line. In theory I believe you need a Thai or international licence to ride a bike in Thailand, which would preclude most tourists who rent them.

I wouldn't expect all wordings to be so tight but it shows the importance of reading the policy, especially if you doing anything a bit risky.

Also not this would exclude riding on a motorcycle taxi. and possibly also a sarmlor

Just checked my Bupa Platinum where I pay about 40K THB per year for 2 million in coverage.

"Motorcycle riding or passenger, policy will cover 50% of sum insured or 200,000thb maximum whichever is less".

Looks like I'll ditch the bike and say I got hit by a car while walking on the side of the road................

P.S. the vans are just about as bad as Tuk-Tuk drivers, racing about and driving like maniacs.

Just checked my Bupa Platinum where I pay about 40K THB per year for 2 million in coverage.

"Motorcycle riding or passenger, policy will cover 50% of sum insured or 200,000thb maximum whichever is less".

Looks like I'll ditch the bike and say I got hit by a car while walking on the side of the road................

P.S. the vans are just about as bad as Tuk-Tuk drivers, racing about and driving like maniacs.

grumpyoldman, you are right. If you had similar injuries with a similar sized hospital bill ($16,000) your insurance coverage would still see you around $10,000 short.

So many people a oblivious to the financial risks they take when riding a motorbike here. $10,000 will not financially ruin you, but if a Thai is seriously injured or killed in the accident, the sky is the limit for the extortion that will be put on you - then, we are talking losing your life savings.

Edited by NamKangMan

So many people a oblivious to the financial risks they take when riding a motorbike here. $10,000 will not financially ruin you, but if a Thai is seriously injured or killed in the accident, the sky is the limit for the extortion that will be put on you - then, we are talking losing your life savings.

I thought a Thai life was valued at 25kbht by the courts.

Better to kill, than to injure.

I thought a Thai life was valued at 25kbht by the courts.

Better to kill, than to injure.

Stirring the pot again?smile.png

Also not this would exclude riding on a motorcycle taxi. and possibly also a sarmlor

In my policy you are covered on a motorcycle taxi as a pillion passenger

In Thailand you need a motorcycle license from your home country and a IDP or a Thai license to legally ride a motorbike

snapback.pngbikkalad, on 2012-07-05 19:59:58, said:

Any pointers to a decent insurance company name then???

they do not exist ...... someone please give me a happy story about an insurance company ( other than a minor car bingle) especially when it comes to personal accident and sickness or travel insurance ... lying thieves .....one rung lower than banks and two below lawyers

There is one very good insurance company in Oz called 'Covermore'. Its sold by the 'Flight centre' travel agency franchise. They have a box to check when filling out the application for insurance which asks if you want motorcycle insurance cover. They do have a very good reputation for paying out claims...

they do not exist ...... someone please give me a happy story about an insurance company ( other than a minor car bingle) especially when it comes to personal accident and sickness or travel insurance ... lying thieves .....one rung lower than banks and two below lawyers

There is one very good insurance company in Oz called 'Covermore'. Its sold by the 'Flight centre' travel agency franchise. They have a box to check when filling out the application for insurance which asks if you want motorcycle insurance cover. They do have a very good reputation for paying out claims...

G'day all.

Before going further. davidst01 The patient here had exactly what you recommended. He had asked Flight centre for a policy covering every eventuality for a holiday to Thailand after he had booked his ticket on line and heard about the transport problem on Phuket Apparently there is a witness who was with him at the time that he took out and paid for the policy. I think the salesman / lady could be worth a charge of dereliction of duty, causing financial loss. That however that being said doesn't solve the problem of getting this guy repaired or at least sent to affordable medical care.

I have just returned from visiting my friend on the 7 th floor of BBK Phuket hospital. Grape vine had told me that the patient on this thread, was also on the 7th floor, " just look for the security guard " to prevent him escaping !

True story. Security guard out front, Sean propped up in bed, tubes everywhere with a face like a balloon waiting for surgery which won't happen by the way until the existing bill of now 550,000 bt and climbing is paid.

I introduced my self as someone with no connection to the case, but one who had heard about his plight here on Thai Visa, a 10 meter deviation on the way out no problem, and was interested to help in any way possible.

This guy is a real human being who is in the most expensive hospital through from what I can determine no fault of his own. He initially was taken to Patong hospital, where because of his horrific injuries was then transferred to BBKP. The only reason I can determine why to there ?, being the most expensive hospital on the island, was that a "commission" was paid and he and or his family or the insurance company, which was possibly notified and who has since bailed out, was viewed as a cash cow to be milked to the max. HAD THE HOSPITAL KNOWN THAT HE HAD NO INSURANCE or that it would be denied, or a signed guarantor, i doubt he would have been admitted.

I believe a police report does not exist as it is usually only the insurance company who would want this to justify a claim, but seeing they have bailed out citing other reasons. the production of a report would only be useful to prosecute the van driver or his insurance, if any. A hospital staffer earlier had suggested no doubt a police report could be found if really necessary. This being Thailand you can draw your own conclusions.

My only suggestions were that with maybe a part payment of the amount already due together with a guarantee from a family member endorsed by the NZ govt ( 'cause they can deduct it from your probate if you predecease the payment due, or pass the debt to the next of kin ) He could be free to seek further medical care. I asked his Case Officer, Sunny, what amount would work, she couldn't / wouldn't answer, saying call me back later. I have her phone number. 076 254 425 ext 1230.

Yep you guessed it 5 mins. f****** around listening to self promotion audio, then, " Solly no one takes your call ". Stating the bleedin' obvious aren't they ! 3 times in the last hour, same result.

Bangkok Phuket international Hospital. If it weren't so tragic it would be JOKE of THE YEAR.cheesy.gif

I further suggested that his family / relatives in NZ gather all the facts of the insurance deal and look around for a lawyer prepared to work on a pro bono arrangement. If in fact the facts are true a lawyer worth his salt would take it on.

Not that it makes much difference but he believes it was a 100 cc Honda he rented from the guesthouse where he was staying with his boss also named Sean who is still in town trying to help.

Sean informed me that the hospital is harassing his mother, who he informed me is ill with cancer, by phone on a daily basis, asking " have you paid the money yet ?, he can't leave until you do ".

Made obvious by the Wormald security dude at the door 7 /24.

If anybody feels they have good advise or can help in some way ( no Steve Mc Queen antics please )

Sean Kenzie and Amy Myles ( GF ) shared phone 08 579 46297

I am privy to other contacts please PM me if needed. I have informed Sean Kenzie about this site as he might be able to gain some useful help or info., so don't be surprised if you see him on here shortly

Great to see you are helping the accident victim.

FYI - online Flight Centre T&C's for acquiring travel insurance from them at http://www.flightcentre.com.au/terms-and-conditions

Travel Insurance

We are an authorised representative of CoverMore Travel Insurance Services Pty Ltd, Australian Financial Services Licence number 241713, on whose behalf we act. You must obtain a Product Disclosure Statement relating to the travel insurance product you are considering purchasing and should read that document before making any decision about whether to acquire the product. Travel Insurance is strongly recommended by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for all overseas travel. Please complete your travel insurance application form, sign it and return it to us. We cannot issue your insurance until this form is provided regardless of whether payment has been made. If you decline travel insurance you may be required to sign a disclaimer.

G'day all.

Before going further. davidst01 The patient here had exactly what you recommended. He had asked Flight centre for a policy covering every eventuality for a holiday to Thailand after he had booked his ticket on line and heard about the transport problem on Phuket Apparently there is a witness who was with him at the time that he took out and paid for the policy. I think the salesman / lady could be worth a charge of dereliction of duty, causing financial loss. That however that being said doesn't solve the problem of getting this guy repaired or at least sent to affordable medical care.

I have just returned from visiting my friend on the 7 th floor of BBK Phuket hospital. Grape vine had told me that the patient on this thread, was also on the 7th floor, " just look for the security guard " to prevent him escaping !

True story. Security guard out front, Sean propped up in bed, tubes everywhere with a face like a balloon waiting for surgery which won't happen by the way until the existing bill of now 550,000 bt and climbing is paid.

I introduced my self as someone with no connection to the case, but one who had heard about his plight here on Thai Visa, a 10 meter deviation on the way out no problem, and was interested to help in any way possible.

This guy is a real human being who is in the most expensive hospital through from what I can determine no fault of his own. He initially was taken to Patong hospital, where because of his horrific injuries was then transferred to BBKP. The only reason I can determine why to there ?, being the most expensive hospital on the island, was that a "commission" was paid and he and or his family or the insurance company, which was possibly notified and who has since bailed out, was viewed as a cash cow to be milked to the max. HAD THE HOSPITAL KNOWN THAT HE HAD NO INSURANCE or that it would be denied, or a signed guarantor, i doubt he would have been admitted.

I believe a police report does not exist as it is usually only the insurance company who would want this to justify a claim, but seeing they have bailed out citing other reasons. the production of a report would only be useful to prosecute the van driver or his insurance, if any. A hospital staffer earlier had suggested no doubt a police report could be found if really necessary. This being Thailand you can draw your own conclusions.

My only suggestions were that with maybe a part payment of the amount already due together with a guarantee from a family member endorsed by the NZ govt ( 'cause they can deduct it from your probate if you predecease the payment due, or pass the debt to the next of kin ) He could be free to seek further medical care. I asked his Case Officer, Sunny, what amount would work, she couldn't / wouldn't answer, saying call me back later. I have her phone number. 076 254 425 ext 1230.

Yep you guessed it 5 mins. f****** around listening to self promotion audio, then, " Solly no one takes your call ". Stating the bleedin' obvious aren't they ! 3 times in the last hour, same result.

Bangkok Phuket international Hospital. If it weren't so tragic it would be JOKE of THE YEAR.cheesy.gif

I further suggested that his family / relatives in NZ gather all the facts of the insurance deal and look around for a lawyer prepared to work on a pro bono arrangement. If in fact the facts are true a lawyer worth his salt would take it on.

Not that it makes much difference but he believes it was a 100 cc Honda he rented from the guesthouse where he was staying with his boss also named Sean who is still in town trying to help.

Sean informed me that the hospital is harassing his mother, who he informed me is ill with cancer, by phone on a daily basis, asking " have you paid the money yet ?, he can't leave until you do ".

If anybody feels they have good advise or can help in some way ( no Steve Mc Queen antics please )

I am privy to other contacts please PM me if needed. I have informed Sean Kenzie about this site as he might be able to gain some useful help or info., so don't be surprised if you see him on here shortly

has anyone contacted the NZ embassy in Bangkok ? this is def a case that they should assist with ....i think this is the best bet , perhaps a dual effort from his GF if she is here and a Kiwi citizen and via the local member in his home town in Nz ...call them every hour on the hour and continue with media coverage and pressure in NZ .....

G'day all.

Any legal action taken against the insurance company would only be to re-coup the cost and would be a long term prospect. I would suggest it's not a viable solution for this guys immediate predicament, and given that it's not a huge amount of money, compared to having to pay your own legal costs and that of the insurance company if you lose, may not be worth the gamble when the insurance company retains a $4500 per day barrister and a team of instructing solicitors.

The only solution I can see is he, his girlfriend, or both of them, apply to a bank for a personal loan, or sell their assets, most probably their motor vehicles, if they have any. The article states he is here with his boss, so he has employment, and may be able to secure credit with a financial institution.

Another option is, but he is very young and has not been working for too long, is to access his superannuation under the "hardship" clause, which he could easily prove, given his current circumstances. Most do not know the ability to do this exists, so, you can pass this advice onto him. Hopefully, he has not been working "for cash" which would mean he would not have much/any superannuation to call upon.

If these are not possible, maybe the parents can apply for a personal loan, second mortgage or possibly even a reverse mortgage against the family home, if they have one.

I can not see, under any circumstances, the hospital advancing credit to him.

I know The Australia Government does not extend credit to Australian travelers who have an unforeseen incident. I am not sure about The New Zealand Government.

With the limited information available, this is about all I can suggest.

Edited by NamKangMan

New Zealand Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Contact us

New Zealand Embassy

M Thai Tower, 14th Floor,

All Seasons Place

87 Wireless Road

Lumpini

Bangkok 10330

THAILAND

Tel: +66 2 254 2530

Fax: +66 2 253 9045 or 253 0249

E-mail: [email protected]

Emergency After Hours Duty Officer: +66 81 837 7240

Office hours: 8:00am-12 noon, 1pm-4:30pm, Monday-Friday

i just tried to call the numbers above including the emergency number ,no answer , if anybody gives a shit about this kid, get on the phone and keep calling until they respond , if and when they, do post on here some feedback , its after hours now so use the emergency number ... be diplomatic these people are public servants ...

Just spoke with Amy, his girlfriend. Surprising to me, she stated that the hospital has now allowed half payment now, around $10,000AUD, and the outstanding amount to be paid off when the couple is back in Australia, in installments.

Sean has been working "on the books" for 10 years, so he does have superannuation, which I believe he will be able to access upon declaring "financial hardship."

They are now only around $2500AUD short, which his superannuation should easily cover.

So, it appears he will get home soon.

Edited by NamKangMan

Great to see you are helping the accident victim.

FYI - online Flight Centre T&C's for acquiring travel insurance from them at http://www.flightcen...-and-conditions

Travel Insurance

We are an authorised representative of CoverMore Travel Insurance Services Pty Ltd, Australian Financial Services Licence number 241713, on whose behalf we act. You must obtain a Product Disclosure Statement relating to the travel insurance product you are considering purchasing and should read that document before making any decision about whether to acquire the product. Travel Insurance is strongly recommended by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for all overseas travel. Please complete your travel insurance application form, sign it and return it to us. We cannot issue your insurance until this form is provided regardless of whether payment has been made. If you decline travel insurance you may be required to sign a disclaimer.

Many people have asked & I cannot locate a response - did he have a valid license for driving a motorbike in Thailand?

I believe Sean is reading this thread. I rang Amy at 18.49 and told her to download his emails as s.a.p. as there maybe some information that may be of use to them from this forum. That has obviously has been forthcoming and " the world " is becoming aware of this mans predicament.

@ NKM for that very reason no legal efforts will help at this present moment, I told him you have to pay to get out. Read closely and you will read if the facts are indeed the facts a good lawyer worth his salt would take on the case Pro Bono, meaning I believe, no win no pay.

@ harry. from what I'm led to believe the police won't make a report because according to them, quite simply, the accident never happened. This case is just a figment of the patients imagination. He possibly fell and hit his head or whatever spin you would have them put on it. I believe his "boss" is being pressurised to bail the bike out of the tender loving care of the Patong police so it can go back to the hirer. I said LEAVE IT THERE . It will be there until the police get some money from the deal. they want money too from this fustercluck. Bail it out, = what bike, what accident. It is the last surviving link in the chain of events and hopefully will bring the prerps undone and perhaps a report will be made... Read between the lines. No report, no pay, no problem for the Thai concerned.

@ simple. I believe the licence situation bears no relevance at the moment. All efforts should be to get this poor young guy away as fast as possible from the LOS read, land of scams.

I wont state here what I know about his licence situation. Thanks, you obviously show some concern.

The latest, Just rang Sean at 21.06 to let him know what I know at the moment and his response was thanks for such a wonderful response and a big thanks to all that are trying to help, he was overwhelmed. He is allowed a beer or two if anyone happens to drop by. I promised him a couple of VB's tomorra.

Don't be surprised if he joins TV and sends a few PM's. he is deeply appreciative.

Thanks all.

Stafford.

Edited by sportsman69

@ simple. I believe the licence situation bears no relevance at the moment. All efforts should be to get this poor young guy away as fast as possible from the LOS read, land of scams. I wont state here what I know about his licence situation.

Seems to say everything...

Edited by simple1

Well he must make a report that he does not remember what happens but that the investigating officer thinks he fell and hit his head. RIding the motorcycle was a figment of his imagination so the insurance company must cover his case. Sad how knocks on the head can cause halucinations. smile.png

I believe Sean is reading this thread. I rang Amy at 18.49 and told her to download his emails as s.a.p. as there maybe some information that may be of use to them from this forum. That has obviously has been forthcoming and " the world " is becoming aware of this mans predicament.

@ NKM for that very reason no legal efforts will help at this present moment, I told him you have to pay to get out. Read closely and you will read if the facts are indeed the facts a good lawyer worth his salt would take on the case Pro Bono, meaning I believe, no win no pay.

@ harry. from what I'm led to believe the police won't make a report because according to them, quite simply, the accident never happened. This case is just a figment of the patients imagination. He possibly fell and hit his head or whatever spin you would have them put on it. I believe his "boss" is being pressurised to bail the bike out of the tender loving care of the Patong police so it can go back to the hirer. I said LEAVE IT THERE . It will be there until the police get some money from the deal. they want money too from this fustercluck. Bail it out, = what bike, what accident. It is the last surviving link in the chain of events and hopefully will bring the prerps undone and perhaps a report will be made... Read between the lines. No report, no pay, no problem for the Thai concerned.

@ simple. I believe the licence situation bears no relevance at the moment. All efforts should be to get this poor young guy away as fast as possible from the LOS read, land of scams.

I wont state here what I know about his licence situation. Thanks, you obviously show some concern.

The latest, Just rang Sean at 21.06 to let him know what I know at the moment and his response was thanks for such a wonderful response and a big thanks to all that are trying to help, he was overwhelmed. He is allowed a beer or two if anyone happens to drop by. I promised him a couple of VB's tomorra.

Don't be surprised if he joins TV and sends a few PM's. he is deeply appreciative.

Thanks all.

Stafford.

Sportsman69, if the agent stated, "this policy covers EVERYTHING" - at law, you will find that it still DOES NOT cover illegal activities. Riding a motorbike without a licence is an illegal activity, so, not covered.

Another example is being hospitalised for a drug overdose. It's an illegal activity and therefore you are not covered.

It all comes down to whether he was riding the bike "legally" in Thailand. If he was licenced, he would most likely have a win in Court, so why did the insurance company deny his claim? If he was not licenced, he was perfoming an illegal activity and therefore not covered.

It's not about what the agent said. It's about "anything that puts the insurance company at undue risk." Eg. diving off a cliff into shallow water below and "illegal activities."

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Stafford.

Sportsman69, if the agent stated, "this policy covers EVERYTHING" - at law, you will find that it still DOES NOT cover illegal activities. Riding a motorbike without a licence is an illegal activity, so, not covered.

Another example is being hospitalised for a drug overdose. It's an illegal activity and therefore you are not covered.

It all comes down to whether he was riding the bike "legally" in Thailand. If he was licenced, he would most likely have a win in Court, so why did the insurance company deny his claim? If he was not licenced, he was perfoming an illegal activity and therefore not covered.

It's not about what the agent said. It's about "anything that puts the insurance company at undue risk." Eg. diving off a cliff into shallow water below and "illegal activities."

As I said elsewhere the insurance aspect is not the most important aspect on the agenda which is to stabilize costs and get this young man repaired, He still has a shattered jaw remember, which had had no attention. With an expedited return this can be done in NZ.

Next is to get him home to zero cost medical care.

There are some good insurers out there

I claimed on my annual policy for a dive accident in Phuket. The assistance company was in touch with the chamber within a few hours. They paid for my medical check up at bumrungrad three days later, reimbursed me for two further nights in Bangkok at the sukhothai hotel and offered a nurse to accompany me on the flight home

I declined the nurse btw

Did he have a crash helmet on? My guess is no.

Can't blame the insurance company for refusing to payout on extra/unaccountable risk.

you mean the plastic crash helmets that come with the rental bikes ? the ones that would not withstand a decent size insect impact .... ignorant comment given this guys predicament ...

I work at a hospital and deal directly with medical insurers for tourists that get bent diving. The only time we ever have a problem with insurance is when dealing with Americans.

I am American. Before I moved to Thailand, many times I was without medical insurance unless it was provided by my employer, mainly because it was so expensive. As an American it is embarrassing that it wasn't until I came to a developing country did I have access to virtually free national healthcare. At least that will change unless Mitt gets in office and reverses the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, not that it does me much good here. Might make my job a little easier though.