Shipping A Pet Dog To Thailand

Thats the problem...nobody but you knows about your pets....and with such a self interest in them.....you can understand that people may not believe your pets are kept away from every known disease and pest right up to their flights home.

It is admirable that you will live a lifestyle and in a country that you can take care of your pets until the die.....not many people make that kind of commitment to their pets.

It is unfortunate that you cannot control humans as much as you can animal movements.....if you could....then there might also be some control on breeding rights.

Thats the problem...nobody but you knows about your pets....and with such a self interest in them.....you can understand that people may not believe your pets are kept away from every known disease and pest right up to their flights home.

It is admirable that you will live a lifestyle and in a country that you can take care of your pets until the die.....not many people make that kind of commitment to their pets.

It is unfortunate that you cannot control humans as much as you can animal movements.....if you could....then there might also be some control on breeding rights.

you missing the point again.

if your pet was sick or not properly cared, would you really spend a few thousand of $$ to fly it to another country?

however if you are prepared to spend the $$$, common sense would suggest you love your animal and do provide proper medical care for it.not to mention all the vaccination booklets with vaccine serial numbers

I have never ever yet heard of any animal(domestic pet) failing quarantine, may be you have and i would love to hear it.

Not missing the point.....but not everyone ...even those that still love their pets dearly.....spend the time or treat them as precious cotton wool wrapped family members.

We have several pets....including 2 dogs our kids love....but they are out there rolling in dead animals most days......they have access to all the bugs insects carry and other dogs in the areas....they kill diseased rats and all sorts of stuff.

Our dogs run around free all day because they can where we live......one sleeps inside as the second line of defence....one sleeps outside as the first line.

So while they are much loved and cared for...they are not pampered and they would be the type of dogs that could catch whatever I guess....we are also not as regimented with vet visits as we should be.

If you imagine farm working dogs in Oz....much loved and cared for in a working dog kind of way....these are our dogs.....they are rough around the edges.

We would love to take them with us if we ever moved back...for the kids mostly....but we know we could not.

Not missing the point.....but not everyone ...even those that still love their pets dearly.....spend the time or treat them as precious cotton wool wrapped family members.

We have several pets....including 2 dogs our kids love....but they are out there rolling in dead animals most days......they have access to all the bugs insects carry and other dogs in the areas....they kill diseased rats and all sorts of stuff.

Our dogs run around free all day because they can where we live......one sleeps inside as the second line of defence....one sleeps outside as the first line.

So while they are much loved and cared for...they are not pampered and they would be the type of dogs that could catch whatever I guess....we are also not as regimented with vet visits as we should be.

If you imagine farm working dogs in Oz....much loved and cared for in a working dog kind of way....these are our dogs.....they are rough around the edges.

We would love to take them with us if we ever moved back...for the kids mostly....but we know we could not.

fully see and understand your point, but your dogs are vaccinated right? so if they were to roll in some dead animal or alike, they would not get sick, yes they can carry it though, but does it really need to be isolated for 1 year?

fully see and understand your point, but your dogs are vaccinated right? so if they were to roll in some dead animal or alike, they would not get sick, yes they can carry it though, but does it really need to be isolated for 1 year?

I have no idea about the 1 year thing...as mentioned, I am no vet, nor have a clue on the lifecycle of such disease and pests.

But I agree, if 1 year is over the top....then 6 months....but for the sake of a few months....I would be adverse to risking the entire continent to some of the known diseases here.

As a point....yes they are vaccinated....but sometimes we miss dates and thanks for reminding me whistling.gif

One of our dogs last year got a skin disease....trips to vet 3 times, went away, came back etc and one of the return visits of the disease she looked horrible, lost hair, skin lesions etc....eventually she recovered and 90% of hair is back and basically not noticeable if you do not know......but here is a dog that is vaccinated and cared for and a disease that returned over several months.....the vet had no real idea what 'exactly' it was.

Now you would not take that dog to Oz...but what if it was in that transition period where you did not see it and over a week or 2 it developed...but that week was when you left it in Quarantine ??

As a point....yes they are vaccinated....but sometimes we miss dates and thanks for reminding me whistling.gif

One of our dogs last year got a skin disease....trips to vet 3 times, went away, came back etc and one of the return visits of the disease she looked horrible, lost hair, skin lesions etc....eventually she recovered and 90% of hair is back and basically not noticeable if you do not know......but here is a dog that is vaccinated and cared for and a disease that returned over several months.....the vet had no real idea what 'exactly' it was.

Now you would not take that dog to Oz...but what if it was in that transition period where you did not see it and over a week or 2 it developed...but that week was when you left it in Quarantine ??

You are correct, however did your other dog get the same skin condition? NO

You can tell your Vet the so called disease is called dermatitise, which is just a skin condition caused by a number of different factors and is not life threatening at all, nor can it be passed to another animal.

My friends dog lost all his hair during floods because he lived on the roof of the house for few months, but prior to loosing all the hair,the hair on his head turned white.

I believe that disease would be called stress.very uncommon in animals yet does happen in a super sensitive animal

Following your logic, every human entering Australia should be put in quarantine because humans by far carry much more life threatening diseases, but all of that has nothing to do with the topic at handwai.gif

Edited by phl

No, the other dog did not get it.....but we did not know that until after the fact right ??

Regardless, the laws are there for a very good reason....it is unfortunate that they effect some people more than others....but thats life.

10 years ago when we moved here we brought our little dog with us....at the time I researched getting her back if things did not work out here and I do not remember specific details now....but I am sure it was not 12 months in quarantine, nor was the cost $30k.....it was some reasonable term and cost, but still significant, but I did not discount it as I would now with the quoted 30k and 12 months requirements.

So, I presume it has been made more difficult then for certain reasons, what these reasons are I have no idea.

No, the other dog did not get it.....but we did not know that until after the fact right ??

Regardless, the laws are there for a very good reason....it is unfortunate that they effect some people more than others....but thats life.

10 years ago when we moved here we brought our little dog with us....at the time I researched getting her back if things did not work out here and I do not remember specific details now....but I am sure it was not 12 months in quarantine, nor was the cost $30k.....it was some reasonable term and cost, but still significant, but I did not discount it as I would now with the quoted 30k and 12 months requirements.

So, I presume it has been made more difficult then for certain reasons, what these reasons are I have no idea.

the $30k figure includes the airfares, food and everything else, so the price you were quoted 10 years ago was most likely just for the quarantine.

also the 10 years ago it was even longer then 12 months.

it is minimum 6 months in Singapore and minimum 3 months in Australia, this is why i said almost a year allowing for "delays" 9 months is still way over the top and if you speak to any qualified Vet, they would also tell you that nothing takes 9 months.

This silly rule was introduced years ago and since then technology and medicine moved miles ahead, only the Oz rules remained out of date.

Also any qualified Vet should be able to spot the case of dermatitise, and if they do not, a simple skin sample would determine it.

I hope you do realize just because it has a sign Vet, it does not mean that person is REALLY qualified.

I went through 6 or 7 Vets here before i found one who knows what he is doing, while the other 6 had less clue than myself and i do not have ANY medical qualifications.

Anyhow, back to OP, shall we smile.png

There are 2 ways to send ... via airfreight mode or via excess baggage

As others have said, if you plan to fly with you let pet, then excess baggage is the best way to go

If not, then you will need to send via Freight mode

The major difference is if via freight mode, them formal customs is needed, so importer will need to register with customs and apply for import permit on advance of arrival and hire a customs broker to arrange

If via excess baggage then the process is much simpler, no import permit required. Just vaccination records and health certificate from origin and then you can claim at customs at the airport before leaving baggage claim area

Either way is possible and we handle plenty of clearances if sent via freight mode for our customers, but the truth is if you can fly on the same flight that will always be the cheapest and simplest way to handle

clarification: the woman shipping her cat has her own thread here at this very moment, yes the dog was in , i think, singapore at one point....

frankly, i would not take my dogs back with me if i had to put out that kind of money; i just dont have it. my father is paying for a ten day visit to the states to see my sister whom i havent seen in six years, so those kind of $$ would be way over the top ; here, many families that do relocation to countries that demand quarantine from our countries (israel is rabies filled) rehome them. i adopted a fox terrier (now demised) exactly from a family that was moving to somewhere else for work , they dearly loved their dog but hadnt the money for all the boarding/vet fees needed.

i ve always had dogs, and brought my staffie dog with me when i first came to israel in the 89's; and years ago, sponsored a fisnnish boxer to be flown to me (he was a rescue), that was when i had a bit more money , or less financial problems. that same boxer cost me a huge debt in my kibbutz budget due to cancer /pain killers, and i did conservative basic treatment, no heroics, no long term treatments... for me 7000 shekels for a dog put me in debt that just grew and took me close to two years to close the debt.... so although i dearly love my two apso, they get basic vet care adn lots of DIY care.

this is just to point out that loving your pet and financially having the wherewithall for complete vet coverage are two separate issues; as is flying beloved pet to new country, quarantine etc.

bina

israel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just flew to Canada from BAngkok with my whippet and will be returning ot Bangkok in 12 days: very good service on Phiippine Airlines: could not use Thai ariways in conjunction with Air Canada....Air Canada has an embargo on shipping pets in/out of Canada from June 20 to Spetember 20.....too hot in Canada then!!! I told them we would never ship a dog all year around in Thailand if that reason was valid!

The dog is kept in the terminal until most of the luggage is transferred. Within Canada I used Webjet and they even have an attendant bringing you a slip at your seat when the dog is boarded to reassure you about the dag making your flight. Again thunbs up for Webjet: check in and retreiving the dog was very easy:jsut comes out at the counter for oversize baggage.

My only concern on the way back is a 5 hour layover in Manilla: I will see if i can get access to my dog then.

As a follow up on this thread: I came back on Tuesday from Vancouver ,Canada to Bangkok via Manilla.

The check in at Vancouver was very simple: I was asked if I had all the documentation for the pet's entry to Thailand: The dog was allowed to be out of the cage near the check in counter up to 1 hour prior to departure. She was then loaded onto the plane.

Again in Vancouver I paid for the trip back to Bangkok: $600 for 22kg (including the cage).

On board of the plane the purser ( a dog lover) told me that she made sure the captain kept the pressurised pet compartment at a comfortable temperature during the flight.

14 hours later we arrived in Manilla and the layover had to be extended by a few hours due to technical difficulties: I was given access to my dog and by luck: an interior garden bed was remodeled and she was able to use this as a toilet. Then for 5 hours, she slept on my lap and walked around the lower transit lounge in the Manilla airport. Lots of ground staff were interested in this strange looking dog (whippet). The last part of the trip was only for 4 hours.

My dog actually arrived at the oversize luggage area faster than the other suitcase. My export permit of 6 weeks prior was still valid for reentry although i had to fill in some forms on arrival in Bangkok in the Veterinarian's office and pay 100 baht.

Just a cursery examination of the dog. I was then sent towards the exit in the line where you have goods to declare: a small expense at customs they asked for 1000 baht. Normally as the dog was a resident it should have been waved off but I was not going to cause a scene.

Another quick car ride to the city and we were home after 26 hours of travel.

As a footnote I was very impressed by the care and attention I received from the Philippine Airlines staff and would recommend them to someone traveling with their pets overseas.

The biggest shakedown I have experienced came from importing my 3 dogs here.

First problem - the information from the consulate where i was was completely wrong. Secondly, for a fairly short flight, getting in before the vet goes home was tough. My advice following a very traumatic time at customs which cost me 80k in bribes, a mate having a knife pulled on him, and about 5 hours of panic and frustration is as follows;

1) Fly direct. Air Malaysia is nice, but Malaysians do not like dogs. A 3 + hr transit in KL you really do not want your dog to go through especially a big one. BA or Thai air. Pick one of those and go with it.

2) ON your paper work put the word MIXED instead of German Shepherd. If it all goes wrong it is a lot easier for the man who loiter at customs to get fake paper work for you.

3) Plan a flight that arrives in the morning; ideally 9am. The vet at Swampy does a trick; he goes home at 3-4pm even though it says 5.30. He basically sits round the corner and asks for a bribe to sign the paper work after that time. Crooks the lot of them.

4) Regardless of cost; put dog on as hand luggage NOT as live cargo.

5) All the certificates for your dogs photo copy a few times - stick one set on top of the dog crate in a plastic pouch, one in check in baggage, on with you.

6) Careful consideration on transport the other end - best idea is to hire a twin cab pick up truck. No taxi will take him and the crate will not go in their anyway. Hire a twin cab to meet you at airport. Ideally have someone there to meet you as well so they can get the truck sorted whilst you get your dog out.

7) Make sure you tick the box "home quarantine". Check and double check with customs in BANGKOK, not the internet or your local consulate what you need to do. Do more than you need to because anything missed will cost you dear.

8) When you arrive, forget your bags and start the process to get your dogs out straight away. the vet office is by the bag place anyway. Get in there quick and start it off.

Thats all I can think of right now; but the most important one is the timing of your flight - early morning landing. that way if you do have to start paying the extortion money it is only day time bribery and not double price night time price. In general; they know westerners love their dogs and therefore will pay. Pure extortion. BAstards.

Sorry about your experience it sounds like it was a nightmare...

I would strongly advise contacting a broker in Thailand before your pets flight arrives if planning to send via freight

A good broker can arrange everything for you in advance

Normally we have the dog cleared am on the way to their owner within 3 hours of flight arrival

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 ways to send ... via airfreight mode or via excess baggage

As others have said, if you plan to fly with you let pet, then excess baggage is the best way to go

If not, then you will need to send via Freight mode

The major difference is if via freight mode, them formal customs is needed, so importer will need to register with customs and apply for import permit on advance of arrival and hire a customs broker to arrange

If via excess baggage then the process is much simpler, no import permit required. Just vaccination records and health certificate from origin and then you can claim at customs at the airport before leaving baggage claim area

Either way is possible and we handle plenty of clearances if sent via freight mode for our customers, but the truth is if you can fly on the same flight that will always be the cheapest and simplest way to handle

CWMcMurray,

Even though I booked the shipment of my three German Shepherds with Delta Cargo three months ago, I was just told by Delta Airlines that the Animal Import Office would be closed when I arrive at 11pm and I will need to coordinate with a cargo handler to receive the dogs and board them until the next morning at 8am when the office opens. About a month ago, I called the Thai Embassy in Washington DC to ask about the requirements for importing my dogs, but I did not hear anything mentioned about the limited hours for the Animal Import Office. I definitely should have done additional research about this portion of my travel, but I honestly thought that Delta Airlines Cargo was going to coordinate for me to clear Animal Customs in conjunction with the shipment reservation.

With that said, I have tried calling East-West Air Services, NNR Global Logistics, Trans Air Cargo, and they all have essentially told me that they do not handle Animal Import and boarding.

Can you recommend a good animal handler company that will be able to receive my dogs from Delta Cargo at 11pm and hold them until the next morning when the Animal Import office opens?

Thank you very much for your help.

Our company does handle animal imports .. Just did 3 Dogs this week

2 arrived on Tue and 3rd just arrived this afternoon

The issue with import of dogs is to ensure that all is arranged in advance

You mention that you plan to send using Delta Cargo, correct?

So this means you will send via freight mode ( not accompanied baggage). , correct?

Where are you flying from? Based upon Delta airlines would guess USA, but where are you departing from in US?

If so would you be open to booking with alternative carrier?

CX or CI or BR all have flights that arrives in the morning and then your dog can be cleared an delivered immediately upon arrival

Under no circumstance send by airfrieght what ever people tell you. If you send by airfreight you will have real problems.

Not so - we sent our Westie over from the UK to Bangkok last year as airfreight and had no problems. Just use a decent Pet Import company in Thailand and you will be fine.

Pm me if you want more details.

• 1 month later...

I have just arrived back home from spending over 6 hours trying to get my dog out of the airport. I used an Agent in the UK to ship my dog over from England, who failed to tell us anything about having to pay tea-money in order to get clearance for her. Having everything one could think of in the way of papers, import permit, passports, work permit, etc.. we arrived at the Cargo Free Zone like we were told. As soon as we pulled up to the main gate we could tell that things weren't right. To cut a very long story (6 hours worth) short, we ended up paying tea money to get the dog out. If I had any idea that this would be the case, I would have used an agent here in Bangkok to clear her instead of getting ripped off because of being a frang. It has left a very bad taste of Thailand in my mouth and I hope never to have to go through anything like I did tonight! Complete nightmare!! At least the dog is now at home and is very happy :) I'm having a big drink!

• 2 months later...

Our company does handle animal imports .. Just did 3 Dogs this week

2 arrived on Tue and 3rd just arrived this afternoon

The issue with import of dogs is to ensure that all is arranged in advance

You mention that you plan to send using Delta Cargo, correct?

So this means you will send via freight mode ( not accompanied baggage). , correct?

Where are you flying from? Based upon Delta airlines would guess USA, but where are you departing from in US?

If so would you be open to booking with alternative carrier?

CX or CI or BR all have flights that arrives in the morning and then your dog can be cleared an delivered immediately upon arrival

CWMcMurray - may I PM you regarding cat import this month please? Gulf Air (Bahrain) said can only be manifested cargo, and now I'm not sure what that means on where my cat will end up at Swampy.

I would advise not to import a dog from a clean country to Thailand, it won't survive for long. As pointed out before there are lots of diseases unknown or extinct in Central/Nothern Europe or North America, such as heartworms, leprosy, rabies, mange. Almost all the street dogs get one or more of these conditions, and there is no way to keep them away from your pet. Those packs attack any dog that enters their territory, no matter how fearsome it is. Many more dogs as in countries with disciplined drivers are run over. Pollution and toxic waste are daily routine. If the dog eats some garbage, and that's what they do, good chance it dies. Better to find another dedicated owner where you come from.