Shipping A Pet Dog To Thailand

Hello,

I would like to hear from anyone who had moved to Thailand and shipped with them

their pet dogs. I have a three year old German Shepherd which I am planning to take

with me when I move to Thailand for retirement at the end of this year or early next year.

There is no way I am going to leave her here in the UK when I move. I have cage-trained

her since she was twelve weeks old, and she can stay in her cage up to six hours at a

stretch.

Have researched the procedures on animal importing to Thailand and have spoken to

the Vet about rabies inoculation.

I am thinking of shipping her with Thai Airways, with me on the same plane, as it is a

direct flight from London.

Thanks.

Never done it myself, but have met people who have Apparently Malaysian Air have a really good Pet Cargo.

One thing i know, under no circumstance, allow them to sedate the dog, because it could die due to cabin pressure changes etc.

If you visit your local Vet and tell them you will be taking your dog to another country, they will advise you and give you all the paperwork needed.

Thailand is NOT very strict, there is no quarantine , and no wait time to collect the animal.

If and according the the people i spoke, there is a problem with some paperwork, 1000 baht note usually fixes that problem very fast.

You did mention, dog is ok for 6 hours, perhaps taking connecting flights might be a better option instead of a direct flight, as it is longer than 6.

Also, look into "not so good" airlines, such as Aeroflot or something alike, because many times, they will allow you to take the dog into the main cabin.

One time flying with Aeroflot, there was a german shep puppy, just running around all over the plane, which actually made the flight much more fun, because he kept stealing people's blankets and pillows :)

I praise you for being dedicated animal lover and willing to spend the time and money to bring your "baby" with you, sadly can not say the same for endless amounts of morons who get pets in Thailand and after few years decide to move back home offering their animal up for adoption.

Yeah, you will not go wrong with Malaysia Airline System (MAS). I once had my St Bernard sent with MAS, it probably was the best because my Timmy refuses to leave the handler before passing back to me. Speaks volume to me because I know my dog is very indifferent to how people treats him

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes, I don't think any airline in the world will allow a full grown German Shepherd in the cabin unless it is a sniffer dog on duty.

The dog will be fine (normally) on the flight. Check with the airline to confirm that the pet can fly with you. I assume you know all the details about applying for an import permit etc?

When you land you go and retrieve the dog. Sometimes you have to pay import tax depending on the breed.

Yes, I don't think any airline in the world will allow a full grown German Shepherd in the cabin unless it is a sniffer dog on duty.

The dog will be fine (normally) on the flight. Check with the airline to confirm that the pet can fly with you. I assume you know all the details about applying for an import permit etc?

When you land you go and retrieve the dog. Sometimes you have to pay import tax depending on the breed.

Well in the good old times they had chicken, goats and whatever else fit in in the cabin (Aeroflot).

I recall the story from my father....they went, first smoking, later drinking in the cargo part of the airplane and soon all the staff was there....drinking (vodka and whiskey) chatting smoking and no service for the passengers anymore. So I guess nothing is impossible on Russian Airlines domestic flights.

Whatever you do....do not ship the dog separately to the flight you are on...ie: you must be on the same flight as the dog.

We shipped a dog over separate when we moved here....this was out of circumstance rather than choice from memory...and we had a lot of trouble with customs at the airport....basically mafia scamming scumbags and that is being nice.

This does not happen if shipped with you as it comes off as baggage I believe and not cargo...

• Like 1

Just never know :)

they may not allow it to run free but to keep the cage somewhere in the main cabin is a possibility

Just had 2 friends fly with Turkish Air and not only they allowed them to take a cat with them, but also allowed them to have the cat out of the cage, just sleeping on the lap.

Does not hurt to ask, may be just buy an extra sit to place the cage or 2 sits and they may allow it, especially if the flight is not full

Just never know smile.png

they may not allow it to run free but to keep the cage somewhere in the main cabin is a possibility

Just had 2 friends fly with Turkish Air and not only they allowed them to take a cat with them, but also allowed them to have the cat out of the cage, just sleeping on the lap.

Does not hurt to ask, may be just buy an extra sit to place the cage or 2 sits and they may allow it, especially if the flight is not full

I wonder if it would get an inflight meal....and a set of headphones.

Hi, I just flew to Canada from BAngkok with my whippet and will be returning ot Bangkok in 12 days: very good service on Phiippine Airlines: could not use Thai ariways in conjunction with Air Canada....Air Canada has an embargo on shipping pets in/out of Canada from June 20 to Spetember 20.....too hot in Canada then!!! I told them we would never ship a dog all year around in Thailand if that reason was valid!

The dog is kept in the terminal until most of the luggage is transferred. Within Canada I used Webjet and they even have an attendant bringing you a slip at your seat when the dog is boarded to reassure you about the dag making your flight. Again thunbs up for Webjet: check in and retreiving the dog was very easy:jsut comes out at the counter for oversize baggage.

My only concern on the way back is a 5 hour layover in Manilla: I will see if i can get access to my dog then.

Thailand is very easy. Pet on same plane as excess luggage in cage. Pet will come out with your luggage on the carousel in the arrival sector. There is a vetinary stand in the arrival part. Go there with the Pet and all documents innoculations etc. Under no circumstance send by airfrieght what ever people tell you. If you send by airfreight you will have real problems.

Just never know smile.png

I wonder if it would get an inflight meal....and a set of headphones.

not sure about those 2, but the cat did get a pillow and blanket

i hope you are aware of owning such big dogs in thailand there is plenty of info in this section you wi;; do well to read up on what is required,eg.double coated dogs,heartworm,heat and humidity and scores of pitfalls.conquer all these and give them your love and attension and they will be fine.

In Australia we have Jet Pets and Dogtainers, two companies that send animals all around the world. They pick up from your house , deliver to airport and do all required paper work. I am sure you would have companies in the UK that would do same. Try googling something.

• Like 1

In Australia we have Jet Pets and Dogtainers, two companies that send animals all around the world. They pick up from your house , deliver to airport and do all required paper work. I am sure you would have companies in the UK that would do same. Try googling something.

Cheers....I want to get a dog from Oz.....so this might be useful.

Cheers....I want to get a dog from Oz.....so this might be useful.

Do keep in mind they also charge around $5000 per animal, not sure if size matters

Yeah, you will not go wrong with Malaysia Airline System (MAS). I once had my St Bernard sent with MAS, it probably was the best because my Timmy refuses to leave the handler before passing back to me. Speaks volume to me because I know my dog is very indifferent to how people treats him

if he didn't want to leave the handler, perhaps it indicates that it is you he is indifferent to.

if he didn't want to leave the handler, perhaps it indicates that it is you he is indifferent to.

If you do not have anything topic related, perhaps it indicates you should not be posting on the thread

phl: the morons u mention arent always so... many countries have draconian measures for importing family pets back in; look at goinghomesoon's thread about her cat coming back in to australia from thailand, now stuck in malaysia or somewhere similar due to paperwork problems. and trust me, ivemet her, she knows how to deal with paperwork etc, and yet, still got stuck ; how much time and money she has invested still with minimal results... many people dont always have the resources to do this, sometimes they had when they purchased the pet, but life circumstances change... it could always also be you once in their shoes...

bina

israel

phl: the morons u mention arent always so... many countries have draconian measures for importing family pets back in; look at goinghomesoon's thread about her cat coming back in to australia from thailand, now stuck in malaysia or somewhere similar due to paperwork problems. and trust me, ivemet her, she knows how to deal with paperwork etc, and yet, still got stuck ; how much time and money she has invested still with minimal results... many people dont always have the resources to do this, sometimes they had when they purchased the pet, but life circumstances change... it could always also be you once in their shoes...

bina

israel

i am from one of those countries, that is why people must think before they get an animal. and yes circumstances change, and people must think about that before they decided to get a pet.

Once circumstances have changed they must think about the pet also.

I wanted to go back to Australia long time ago because circumstances changed but had to take into account my animals and therefor made my decisions based on that.

Not only that i know i can not take them back, so have planned to stay here now for 15 or so years or until the laws in Oz change.

If your life change, you would not dump your kids, why would you do it with an animal, thats my point

mango, how do people who show internationally travel with their dogs?? were u taking your whippet to a show or just family visit? ..

bina

I went on a family visit but decided to show her along the way. Was a bit rushed as she was on heat when I made the booking: did not line up a suitable male in time...so no puppy on returning. From Thailand, Europe is more complicated( you need 4 months to prepare the paperwork. But for America/Canada: just a rabies vaccination in date is required. No quarantine and a very cursary exam on arrival. Off to the show this morning!

bina

israel

Australia has its customs and quarantine laws for very good reasons....it does not have any where near the diseases and pests that many other countries have and needs to keep its draconian measures in place to keep it and its wildlife protected.

bina

israel

Australia has its customs and quarantine laws for very good reasons....it does not have any where near the diseases and pests that many other countries have and needs to keep its draconian measures in place to keep it and its wildlife protected.

That is true and makes perfect sense, but i think this rules and laws are way outdated.

I am sure someone who is willing to spend thousands of $$ on their beloved pets have had all the vaccinations up to date and while i agree with some quarantine, , almost 1 year when coming from Asia is way over the top, not only in terms of money but it also kills animals spirit.

I know the total cost of bringing one pet from Asia including quarantine, air fares, food etc is around $30 000

bina

israel

BIna, sorry i forgot to mention in my original response.

Tell your friend that the cat is in Singapore, because this is the only country acceptable for Australia for animal to be quarantined for 6 months.

Yes she would have to pay for the quarantine and no paperwork no matter how its filled up will help.

After 6 months, cat will be allowed to be flown into Australia, where it will have to spend another 3-4 months in quarantine where again she would be required to pay.

Total with everything would be around $30 000 and there is no way around it.

It does not matter how much time or money she puts into it, cat must go through the quarantine, forms or no forms its all the same.

The only other way is to go from Thailand to Europe or US and stay there for at least 6 months, but you would have to show evidence that you actually lived there for at least 6 months, then the quarantine time is halved.

PS. I am not very clear on one step though when coming from Asia, i am not sure if the owner also must reside in Singapore for the duration of quarantine.

bina

israel

That is true and makes perfect sense, but i think this rules and laws are way outdated.

I am sure someone who is willing to spend thousands of $$ on their beloved pets have had all the vaccinations up to date and while i agree with some quarantine, , almost 1 year when coming from Asia is way over the top, not only in terms of money but it also kills animals spirit.

I know the total cost of bringing one pet from Asia including quarantine, air fares, food etc is around $30 000

Then that will discourage people from taking pets from asia right....I mean just look at the diseases here.

I do not know if they are over the top or not...as I do not know the life cycle of certain pests and diseases.....but I am happy to see them maintain these standards without doubt.

We have pets....and should we ever have to return to Oz fulltime....we would be stuck obviously.

Our other option might be to spend time between both countries and then a maid and gardener would be also allocated as pet minder and that would cost a fraction of the cost to ship back to oz.

As for the $5k cost per animal to ship from Oz to here....I shall give that a miss and fly myself and pick it up eventually if we decide to do it for sure.

bina

israel

Then that will discourage people from taking pets from asia right....I mean just look at the diseases here.

I do not know if they are over the top or not...as I do not know the life cycle of certain pests and diseases.....but I am happy to see them maintain these standards without doubt.

We have pets....and should we ever have to return to Oz fulltime....we would be stuck obviously.

Our other option might be to spend time between both countries and then a maid and gardener would be also allocated as pet minder and that would cost a fraction of the cost to ship back to oz.

As for the $5k cost per animal to ship from Oz to here....I shall give that a miss and fly myself and pick it up eventually if we decide to do it for sure.

The point is that if someone is willing to spend the money on flying their pets, those pets are disease free, because people who are willing to spend big $$$ would also spend the money on pets health so all the vaccinations would be up to date.

I know all of my 7 pets eat better food than me and go for regular vaccinations and check ups. If it was not the almost 1 year quarantine, i would even borrow $200 000 to take with me, but can not, so will stay here for as long as i have to ie till the end of their life or law changes in Oz

People bring much more deadly diseases into the country than the animals. I do not think it was the chicken's who brought bird flue into Australia or monkeys who brought HIV