Positive Immigration Experience

I've done this before (starting a positive thread) and nearly regretted it. Please can I ask from the outset that people who have negative experiences please find one of the MANY negative threads about Suvarnabhumi immigration and post there. If you have a positive experience to share then please share.

This story happened yesterday at the end of a long journey back from visiting family in the UK. On arrival back in BKK I was already prepared for the last hurdle to be the most annoying (Jet Airways via Delhi had been a dream) and prepared myself, my wife and our 8 month old daughter for a long wait.

We walked up to immigration and I asked the lady directing the queues where she wanted us. "Oh no, not here, please follow me" was the answer. She took us round to the "Thai National" queue. I asked why and she told us it was because we were traveling as a family. I initially thought that this would be because our little girl is white (both parents English) then saw that the Indian-English family who had been on our flight had also been given this privilege.

Before anybody says "That's great for you" I want to share my last thought as we surfed through immigration in 3 minutes. I looked over my shoulder and noticed that the queues for the Foreign Passport desks where moving quickly and were only 8 people deep. I realised that this is helped by the same policy that took us away from that situation. In 2 generous and welcomed acts they had taken 10 people out of those queues making them faster for the people in them.

This policy is well thought out and fits with the traditional cultural stereotype of Thailand, family values. This is a positive move in my mind and I hope they can continually maintain this policy. Finally, before anybody chips in with "Thai apologist" remarks please see my last post in this forum http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/561869-unusual-sight-at-suvarnnabhumi/

• Like 1

I left Thailand on Tuesday to go to work, When I went into immigration I saw a long long queue and thought I was in for a nightmare. What actually happened was it moved quickly and I was through in perhaps 8 minutes - all in all very good.

That's very encouraging. How was customs?

Customs was fine. We have our 1 kilo of Barkham Blue and 1 kilo of Montgomery Cheddar in our fridge and freezer...and 2 haggis (not a Scot, but ADORE haggis). Hardly Pablo Escobar, but still a little naughty.

Came in last week about 11pm and went to the Thai national line with my wife (she checked, no problem). It took all of 5-10 minutes but the foreign national lines were actually quicker as all the booths were manned and there were not many people queued up. There were several staff helping the process along in the queuing area as well. Quick, efficient, and friendly. We, and everybody else, were waved through the 'nothing to declare' Customs lines. Maybe the fact the flight originated in Japan helped.

When we came back 10 days ago, the foreign queues at Immigration were busy but I went through the Thai queue with my missis, as we have done many times before. I wonder, however, whether this will be so easy in the future as they fully implement those automatic gates which scan the Thai passports, leaving all foreign passport holders without any option but to join the foreign queue.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

When we came back 10 days ago, the foreign queues at Immigration were busy but I went through the Thai queue with my missis, as we have done many times before. I wonder, however, whether this will be so easy in the future as they fully implement those automatic gates which scan the Thai passports, leaving all foreign passport holders without any option but to join the foreign queue.

I recently flew back from the UAE. Through immigration in a couple of minutes.

I've flown in and out of Thailand many times over the last 22 years - Dong Meuang, then Suvarnabhumi. I've only been seriously held up at immigration 3 or 4 times which compares very favourably with my experiences in other countries, including airports in so called "developed" countries.

I never had any really long waits or issues. I will say that on 13 trips, only one took 50 mintues to get through. There were about 25 people in each line in front of where I was. A one hour wait may seem like an eternity but.... really, after flying half way around the world as grumpy as I can be, and as anxious as I am to get on the Bell bus to Pattay, ,,

Anyway this person in the adjacent line, moved one of the stantions over to in front of where an immigration worker had just sat down and put herself first in this new line! Now first of all, that is a huge no no in any country. Don't tell immigration or airport authorities where their lines are! Secondly, you can't presume that the man was actually about to open a line. He may have been checking the computer or whatever. He quietly got up from his chair, moved the post back, and shook his finger at the lady. A lot of restraint on his part in my opinion. And he did not open that line. He finished whatever he was doing and left.

I broke my leg 18 months ago and on my last visit to Thailand was using a walking stick. I told the airline who arranged for assistance. The assistance in the UK was OK. In Dubai it was non-existent. When we pulled up to the jetway in Bangkok there was a guy waiting outside the aircraft door with a wheelchair. He picked my baggage up for me and then wheeled me right to the front of a huge queue at Immigration. I was the most popular man in town laugh.png

He refused to take any tip at all.

• Like 1

Came back from Singapore last Friday and was re-directed to the Diplomat/APEC/Officials queue with a few other passengers.

The 2 higher ranked immigration officers there were in a very good mood, joking with their clients and singing Morlam-songs.

THAT was a "Welcome in Thailand".

I likewise can also report no delay coming through immigration on our return from the UK 10 days ago. I have never had any delay as I go through the Thai nationals section with my wife but virtually no queues in the Non Thai booths either. Heathrow didn't have queues either BUT where we have problem is always in the USA (Logan Airport, Boston) when we fly on to visit my son and family there. 3/4 to 1hours delays seem to be standard!! Thailand 1 - USA 0.

Admittedly, Thai passport holder. But, those automatic gates are fantastic. Was through in 30 seconds flat. Hopefully that free's up more immi officers for the other desks.

Edited by samran

I broke my leg 18 months ago and on my last visit to Thailand was using a walking stick. I told the airline who arranged for assistance. The assistance in the UK was OK. In Dubai it was non-existent. When we pulled up to the jetway in Bangkok there was a guy waiting outside the aircraft door with a wheelchair. He picked my baggage up for me and then wheeled me right to the front of a huge queue at Immigration. I was the most popular man in town laugh.png

He refused to take any tip at all.

Yeah but you had put your name as "Thaksin Shinawatra" on the passenger list mate.

Sounds positive..last departure was fast track but really no need ...quick....still managed a G&T in Roci lounge albiet it was 7-00 am...mprai..

Maybe time for Mrs Terri May (Home Sect) to send one of her boy scouts over on a jolli to Suwanna and find out how Immigration should work...before the Oli games......

.Latest from Heathrow ...a shambles.....all that.... if it ait broke rubbish....laff..bring a sleeping bag

I went through in about 5 minutes but then I had to wait 50 minutes for my bags to arrive. Maybe it was because the Thai flight (from Australia) had to park way out on the runway and we were bused in to the terminal. Perhaps they had only one luggage vehicle and trailers to collect the luggage and it had to take several trips back and froth from the plane to the terminal.

I went through in about 5 minutes but then I had to wait 50 minutes for my bags to arrive. Maybe it was because the Thai flight (from Australia) had to park way out on the runway and we were bused in to the terminal. Perhaps they had only one luggage vehicle and trailers to collect the luggage and it had to take several trips back and froth from the plane to the terminal.

Yeah, I recall at least two of my EVA flights parked way out on the edge of the tarmac. We even deplaned by staircase! Haven't done that in a few years. I only had a carry on so no baggage delay, but I suspect others had some issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Have taken three trips since the new Thai Passport automated system was implemented and found this very fast since the wife can use the automated system and I use the immigration station situated next to the automated lines. Time to clear immigration has been 3-5 minutes with this approach. Same thing going and returning. I just wish the taxi que was as fast.

I went to Cheang Watthana this morning to get an extension.

Apart from it being miles away, it was very fast and efficient. Ticket was called about 10 minutes after I got there, passport returned about 20 minutes after that.

The lady pointed out to me that I had neglected to provided a copy of my arrival stamp, which was hidden under the card.....she then went and photocopied it herself.

Very happy.

• 1 month later...

While the queue's often look bad, I have found that they move relatively quickly, I generally dont check a bag when I am leaving/returning from a work assignment, so I am straight out after immigration, over the last tow years I would say I have generally been through in around 20 minutes, occasionally quicker, and only once was I over 30 minutes.

It sometimes helps to have a friendly chat with the young ladies helping out in the queue's, twice they have directed me to a newly opened booth.

Compared with Houston or San Francisco, or any central african country it really isnt so bad.