Suvarnabhumi Airport Runway Crisis Deepens

webfact

swillowbee,

I also wanted to thank you for taking what must have been a decent amount of time to offer your input. It's not often that TV members (myself included) actually make so much effort. A very big thank you. Now, if ONLY the Thai 'media' could get someone (anyone; Thai or non-Thai) to offer a similarly detailed opinion of what the heck is going on, we would be able to have an even better conversation. Sadly, my expectation is that we will only get these silly, unintelligent pieces that barely scratch the surface requiring us to speculate -- as always.

+1wai.gif
  • Like 2

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai's don't know how to build anything properly or fix it properly when it breaks.

It seems Thais wait until things break, like airport runways with sink holes, instead of testing and doing preventative maintenance. Here is how to test runways, take preventative action, before aircraft are damaged. Could someone forward this to AOT?

Oh don't worry AOT was already informed of the proper way, but AOT said "this is Thai culture we don't need to do it properly. .... stupid foreigners always trying to change how we work".

Every time a company came to our new house to install something I would tell my wife to tell them I wanted it installed the non Thai way, the answer was always the same "cannot". I would ask my wife, "cannot" because "they don't know how?", "cannot because there is a law against doing it that way?", "cannot because they didn't bring any supplies with them (never do)?", "cannot why?". EVERY TIME it was because they did not know how to do it any other way, and COULD NOT even imagine doing it any other way. Every time I had to actually show them how to do it, and usually I had to supply the materials because Thai workers NEVER come with any supplies and generally don't come with proper tools either.

Thailand is destined to remain a 2nd world country for a long long long time.

• Like 1

Whats are the lives from a crash of a jetliner compared to the amound of tourist dollars anyway.

More news like this needs to be circulated in newspaperws around the world along with unsolved murders of foreigners and all categories of crime.

The more newspapers that are circulated around the world with negative news surrounding Thailand, the better. Perhaps it will cause them to finally get their act together.

Constantly hitting them hard in their pocket books is the only thing that just might get their attention.

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

jerrysteve

Can just see that now. The whole world putting all there negativity that sells there new's papers in to the back sections so they can run the negative one's about Thailand on the front page. Probably to busy looking for more negativity in their own country so there circulation will go up. Not really interested in killing it.

• Like 1

Thai's don't know how to build anything properly or fix it properly when it breaks.

It seems Thais wait until things break, like airport runways with sink holes, instead of testing and doing preventative maintenance. Here is how to test runways, take preventative action, before aircraft are damaged. Could someone forward this to AOT?

Oh don't worry AOT was already informed of the proper way, but AOT said "this is Thai culture we don't need to do it properly. .... stupid foreigners always trying to change how we work".

Every time a company came to our new house to install something I would tell my wife to tell them I wanted it installed the non Thai way, the answer was always the same "cannot". I would ask my wife, "cannot" because "they don't know how?", "cannot because there is a law against doing it that way?", "cannot because they didn't bring any supplies with them (never do)?", "cannot why?". EVERY TIME it was because they did not know how to do it any other way, and COULD NOT even imagine doing it any other way. Every time I had to actually show them how to do it, and usually I had to supply the materials because Thai workers NEVER come with any supplies and generally don't come with proper tools either.

2nd!? You mean like Poland or something?

Try 3rd AND regressing.

Better yet, we do away with the three worlds theory and just call Thailand completely undeveloped in most important aspects.

Edited by PaullyW

For the life of me I can't understand why you would call them in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG!... over thirty people downloaded this. Now there's a whole lot more armchair airport construction experts to post drivel.

Not an armchair airport construction expert. (I don't know what an expert is. Seems more accurate to refer to a 'professional')

Anyway - I've seen pictures of runways being built out to sea on small islands. Now obviously we're not talking about big planes, but surely this must be a more complicated scenario?

Or not.....

Just a thought, although I'm happy to go along with sub-standard materials

It's alright to bemoan Thailand, it's shoddy maintainance, it's corruption and so on. But until international airlines stop flying there nothing will change. And international airlines won't stop flying there until holiday makers, business travellers, Thais and expats start refusing to travel through a substandard airport.

A part of me says it should start with the airlines - I trust the likes of BA, Cathay, Thai Airways and Air NZ who I've flown to and from Swampy with dozens of times in the last few years, and I didn't know about the problems with the place until reading this thread. But ultimately if it's profitable for them, why not? It's up to me to check on the safety of my chosen mode of transport.

Also to keep a sense of perspective, I'm pretty sure nearly any other route back to the UK from Bangkok would be several orders of magnitude more dangerous than a flight through Suvanabhumi, sink holes or not.