The Long Way Round

Rigger

Anyone watched the long way round and what did you think of it ??

Ok I enjoyed the movie and it would be one hel_l of a ride but there riding skills left a lot to be desired and the way they packed there bikes with all that weight was a bit of bull shit and they really needed a set of off road tires for certain parts of the trip. But over all for a couple of soft poms they did well :o

The movie got me thinking that this something I would be interested in doing in the future maybe not as far as they did but through Asia would be a great adventure. I guess I better start looking for a new dirt bike as I don’t think my CR with 50km fuel range is going to cut it

Any one on TV done this type of touring before

I've always wanted to an overland motorcycle trip to Europe. I should be able to afford to do it soon too.

I've met plenty of blokes who did it from the UK. Also met one poor soul in Bangkok several years ago who was going to leave from Thailand with his Thai wife to the UK on 2 bikes. There was even a story about them in the Post. Apparently the poor bloke was run over a killed on Rama IV road a week before his planned departure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rigger,

I've been wanting to see that series (you say movie but assume you mean the TV series). Did you buy it in Thailand? I've been reading the book.

It's got me thinking the same ideas as you. I want an Asian tour and have been daydreaming for 3 years about the idea now. I've been shopping multiple times. They know me at the BMW shop now. Some mornings I wake up and say today will be the day that I just go get one but the sticker shock sends me back every time. I understand the higher price but the bikes are 72% MORE than in the States and I will have to pay cash. I've researched importing but it will cost a lot more and will not be easy. I met a guy about 8 months ago who got a new 1200 GS and I see him every once in a while on it. I have his card and he invited me on some of his weekend excursions when I make the leap. I want to put a few thousand kilos on the tires before any extended trip on a new bike. When I do I'll send you a note and maybe go for a ride.