3 Questions About Driving A Car In Chiang Mai

brownrabbit

Don't forget to buy First Class insurance, do not just use 3rd class

You can't buy 1st class insurance on cars over 7 years??? old. I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Does this only apply to new coverage. My 2001 truck insurance is comprehensive. Been with the same insurers since new. Just checked the policy and all the coverage looks sound.

You can't buy 1st class insurance on cars over 7 years??? old. I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me.

True you cannot buy first class insurance on an older car. Not sure if it is 7 years. The insurance company I used said 10 years. However you can increase the public liability insurance to whatever amount you wish. I increased pl & pd on my wifes car to 5 million bahts..Lets face it if you are driving an old car you don't really care about the damage to your car. But if you run into a new mercedes benz and total it you want to make sure your have enough insurance to cover the damage. I guess if you happen to be unfortunate enough to kill someone in Thailand you don't need to have high pl & pd.. I read a few days ago on Thia visa about the bus accident in the south that killed 11 people..The insurance company is going to pay 400,000 bahts and the bus company 30,000 bahts.

Our 3rd class insurance has liability (third party) to 20 million THB. I too, don't care about the PD to our car but want to be dam_n sure I'm covered in the event of a serious accident and injury to another.

True you cannot buy first class insurance on an older car. Not sure if it is 7 years. The insurance company I used said 10 years. However you can increase the public liability insurance to whatever amount you wish. I increased pl & pd on my wifes car to 5 million bahts..Lets face it if you are driving an old car you don't really care about the damage to your car. But if you run into a new mercedes benz and total it you want to make sure your have enough insurance to cover the damage. I guess if you happen to be unfortunate enough to kill someone in Thailand you don't need to have high pl & pd.. I read a few days ago on Thia visa about the bus accident in the south that killed 11 people..The insurance company is going to pay 400,000 bahts and the bus company 30,000 bahts.

If a foreigner has an accident and someone dies you need to have sufficient funds to cover the 200k baht bail bond. I admit I do not know if this facility is available via 3rd class insurance, but is provided with 1st class insurance. Anyone have the answer re facility with 3rd class insurance to cover bail bond? Of course the way around this would be to negotiate financial settlement with the aggrieved parties, but it is likely you will not be released from police custody until financial arrangements have been finalised.

Indeed the 200K THB bail bond is covered with 3rd class insurance. And as I understand it, someone does not have to die for a foreigner at fault to be locked up in the event of a serious accident.

Well, if you are going to basically learn to drive here and then do the test, I would expect that you will turn out to be at least as good a driver as the average Thai we see on the roads every day.

In case of a traffic accident in Thailand, make sure you never admit it's your fault and don't say any thing, just wait until the police and the insurance guy arrive. For those farangs that complain about Thai traffic I wish they f... off to India or Vietnam and tell those people how to drive more like they do the west.

Most of those whiners have never been any place but home and Thailand. My Thai wife will not even ride a motor bike in Cambodia. A friend of mine was visiting in Cairo and had to take a taxi to cross a road.

You sound like quite the world traveler.