Can I Drink The Rainwater In Isaan?

Sandman77

hello!

My Thai girlfriend says, in Isaan is not nesarsary to buy the water! When the monsoon rain comes , it fill up the water tank quickly, but I not sure is this water clean, and compatible with farang stomage?

I also thinking about to buy a mineral stone here in Austria before I fly to Thailand in oktober!

But the filtering process needs long time!

Many hours over the night!

Also not sure where I can find this stones!

In tv i see a movie with the name plastic planet, the sinetists says its unhealthy to drink the water in plastic bottles all the time !

But in Thailand only some resorts have shinga water in glass in the stores I find only soda and plastic bottels

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I respect anyone trying eco-living but I think processing rainwater to drink is not really viable.

We get those 5gal plastic carboys of drinking water delivered to the door for just 9bt.

I don't think you can do better than that.

smile.png

I respect anyone trying eco-living but I think processing rainwater to drink is not really viable.

We get those 5gal plastic carboys of drinking water delivered to the door for just 9bt.

smile.png

Why is collecting natural rainwater not viable ??

I would much prefer to trust my own rainwater source than some thais tap or river water filtration system in your convenient delivered...and cheap...water.

I have collected rainwater on 2 places we lived here now....on one we still do.

smile.png

I have been drinking the rainwater from the tiled roof for 8 years now with no side effects.

Granted I live in Khampaeng Phet province and not Isaan and only once have we run out of that water and had to buy in.

We did have 14 people living here for quite a long time and it exhausted the 2 x 3,000 litre stainless steel tanks. That cost me 1,000 baht for 1,000 litres so by getting rainwater for free it must be a better deal than 20 litres for 9 baht.

Would I drink the rainwater from my roof in Map Tha Phut? Not a chance nor in any big city but I live in the countryside.

Edited by billd766

Unless you studied chemistry at uni (and are extremely bored) I would recommend leaving it to the experts (and buy it from the supermarket).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

My grandparents were no experts and their galvanised rainwater tank by the house had the best water I can ever remember drinking....head under the tap....cool, crisp, refreshing taste.

Most poisons would taste nice when mixed with Red Fanta...

My grandparents were no experts and their galvanised rainwater tank by the house had the best water I can ever remember drinking....head under the tap....cool, crisp, refreshing taste.

Red fanta was not invented back then.

Red fanta was not invented back then.

Green?

Aren't there Mosquito Larvae, and other bugs in these tanks. Why bother to drink it when water is so cheap,the thais are used to drinking rainwater there uesd to it not like us westerners, not for me i'm afraid .

Good Health to all.

Boyce

Edited by Boyce

Aren't there Mosquito Larvae, and other bugs in these tanks. Why bother to drink it when water is so cheap,the thais are used to drinking rainwater there uesd to it not like us westerners, not for me i'm afraid .

Good Health to all.

Boyce

interesting how things change so much.

Rain water is an excellent and very practical source of drinking water -- and what I myself drink and have for the past 15+ years..

The only issue is that some dirt can get into it as it passes off the roof and also the storage containers can accumulate dirt. To be on the absolutely safe side then, either boil or filter it (or chlorinate, but that leaves a taste) before drinking. A simple table top carbon filter device works fine.

What I use is made by Pure, called Nuvo, sits on the Kitchen counter and holds maybe 10 L of water. You can buy at any of the Pure outlets (google them, they have shops all over the country). I believe Amyway may also sell a type and sometimes you can find countertop water filters them at tesco.

The issue with drinking water from plastic bottles arises if they have been exposed to heat (as will happen if out in the sun). And it is more of concern with some types of plastic than others. I seem to recall a recent thread in this forum that discussed brands and which had the safer type of plastic, you can try a search for "plastic water bottle" in this forum..

My wife bought a korean made filter years ago, probably similar to the one Sheryl decribes, it cost 5000 baht, has filtered over 25k litres with one filter contents change, never had any side effects in the family. As there are loads of people around most days it is a real benefit, water bottles topped up every morning, filter refilled from the rain water urns.

When I am home, I will consume min 2 litres a day, absolutely no side effects and very refreshing. First job of the day is usually a couple of glasses of water before I hit the coffee!!

Well maybe viable wasn't the right word.

Just seems the work involved in setting up a rainwater collection system, filtering out the bird poo and rat sh*t and all the other stuff that collects on the roof, then keeping the mosquitoes and who knows what else from setting up home in the storage tanks and then final filtering and the regular maintenance of those filters seems like a lot of effort for a glass of water.

I just put the empty carboys on the porch with the money on the table and they come round every couple of days, most times I don't even see them.

Well each to their own

Country folk across the country...in Oz...still to this day collect rainwater and....here is the really strange bit....drink it.

Like I said....I would prefer to drink my own collected rainwater....than rely on the Thai company filtering the tap or river water that you get.....100% properly everytime.

We used to live in Bangkok and behind our house was a small 'local' office of a water bottle company....they washed the bottles here and filtered the tap water and then delivered it....they had about 30 dogs running around the yard and who knows how many pee on the bottles after washed....if washed at all.

Also do you think at how cheap the water is and in an operation like this one....they spend the cash on new filters exactly when they should ??....or let them run for a few more months ??

Anyway....interesting how the view of things change over ones life.....when i was younger there was almost no such thing as bottled water for sale in a corner store.

Well maybe viable wasn't the right word.

Just seems the work involved in setting up a rainwater collection system, filtering out the bird poo and rat sh*t and all the other stuff that collects on the roof, then keeping the mosquitoes and who knows what else from setting up home in the storage tanks and then final filtering and the regular maintenance of those filters seems like a lot of effort for a glass of water.

I just put the empty carboys on the porch with the money on the table and they come round every couple of days, most times I don't even see them.

Well each to their own

It is not at all a lot of work. You just buy large water jars and position them where the maximum rain run off is. Cover with mosquito netting or screen-like mesh (I do, but a lot of people don't bother). . Keep a solid cover on when it's not raining.

Once or twice a week or so, collect water from it. pour into countertop filter (I pass it through a strainer as I do that but again, not everyone bothers).

That's it. When the filter-cum-water dispenser runs dry, clean the top part and repeat this process. Ervy so often - about once a year in the case of the brand I use -- change the filter.

Couldn't be easier.

I recommend against the drinking of untreated rainwater. I would consider drinking filtered, processed rainwater. Although, rainwater has been a traditional source of drinking water in Thailand for centuries and was even encouraged under the rainwater jar project, there has been a growing sentiment that such water is dangerous. Unfortunately, there haven't been any significant national studies undertaken for a few years. Perhaps, without any alternatives, the powers that be, wish to let sleeping dogs lie. Here's an article from 2009;

Rainwater 'no longer safe to drink'

Rainwater in Thailand is no longer safe for consumption, especially in the coastal provinces in the East, due to rising level of acidity caused by toxins from factories and traffic smog.

Citing a study sponsored by the Department of Pollution Control, a Kasetsart University lecturer said the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere had also risen, resulting in a change in the patฌtern and duration of the rainy season.

Asst Prof Suntharee Khunthong, also from Kasetsart University, said rainwater in Chiang Mai was often contaminated by dust particles from forest fires, while rainฌwater in Ayutthaya was more alkaline due to the many cement plants based there. Wijarn Simachaya, a senior DPC official, said the level of acidity in rainwater in China was the highest among 11 Asian countries due mainly to massive coal minฌing operations. He added that the DPC sponsored research was conducted in five provinces in Thailand to further inspect the quality of rainwater.

-- The Nation 2009-11-11

They should inspect the quality of the roofs that it comes off...

We drink ours and never noticed any effects but guess there could be things occurring inside that we are unaware of !

I was thinking about getting a filter but not a 30k Amway rip off, being pusey on us by an Aunt :)

Tastes sooooo much better than bottled though....

The issue with drinking water from plastic bottles arises if they have been exposed to heat (as will happen if out in the sun). And it is more of concern with some types of plastic than others. I seem to recall a recent thread in this forum that discussed brands and which had the safer type of plastic, you can try a search for "plastic water bottle" in this forum..

I didn't read that thread but I understand that the clear bottles are much less likley to contaminate the water than the white opaque bottles. An with bottles that are re-used the rougher surface of the white bottles mean its harder to sanitize.

They should inspect the quality of the roofs that it comes off...

We drink ours and never noticed any effects but guess there could be things occurring inside that we are unaware of !

I was thinking about getting a filter but not a 30k Amway rip off, being pusey on us by an Aunt smile.png

Tastes sooooo much better than bottled though....

My filter (which is carbon plus silver nano) cost around 2000 baht or so if I recall correctly.

Re the roof, key thing is not to open up the collection jars until after one or two first heavy rains of the season, since the first rains will carry off most of the debris.

I would agree that may not be a good idea to drink rain water if you live in a city or near an industrial area, or at least that if doing it there filtration is essential. .

I can't see it right now, there is a thread on here I read about 6 months ago re filters and some people really knew their stuff.

I see the Amway one mentioned here, in that thread it was mentioned that it does work, but it was about 6 times more expensive than the equivalent opposition ones. There was some really good info in that thread if anyone I better at searching than I am.

I remember some points were, defiantly need the tank sealed from mosquitoes, best to keep light out to stop algae.

The stand pipe at least 10cm from the the lowest point. I can't remember the filter info to be honest.