A New Business Order Looms With Asean Integration

Lite Beer

are you speculating or making a factual statement?

From what I can glean from the articles I posted previously, Samsung's spend in the US is marginally bigger than Apple's despite being far more diversified.

So we do agree that having great designs and engineers is NOT enough to be successful , one also needs to invest HUGE amount of money on marketing and advertising.

Also its not just about paying for advertising, but also identifying your target audience and target market and spending the money on targeted advertising.

Well, all companies in this market advertise, it is part of the cost of doing business. All companies have an element of R+D cost, and as I put up previously in a link, Samsung has a very high R+D budget that allows them to get into dominant positions before their competitors in say LED or 3D TV's. I don't see why you would consider the fact that you have to advertise as being as significant as the actual quality of the products. Bring out rubbish products and you go nowhere in a very short space of time, and no amount of advertising is going to drag a middle or bottom of the pile company to the top.

Samsung or Apple aren't in the dominant position they are today because they advertise more than the rest, it is because they have for the price better products than the rest, which are independently reviewed on 1000's of different websites and keep getting good or better reviews than the rest. If they miss their mark for 6 months, or the next level of product launches, the consumer market will learn about it very very quickly. If the next Iphone 5 lacks the functionality of the Galaxy S3, expect very quickly for sales to not meet their targets. This is why it was so embarrasing when Apple had to admit that if you held their phone a certain way, you lost signal. Excellent, a phone that doesn't call, But they were very lucky to get around it by realising that most people have a case on their phones which mitigates the problem anyway. If it happens again, just wait for the market to bash them pretty hard.

Just look at the hotel industry. You can stick whatever international name on the front door, have the best position on the beach, and advertise to your hearts content, but 20 bad reviews on Agoda does have a significant effect on your business very quickly, people just go to the hotel next door. Just look at Tesco having to scrabble around in the UK because their Xmas promotion last year wasn't as strong as the competition and independent surveys are showing that people think that their shops are older and in worse nick than the competition. All it takes is to take your eye off the ball for a few business quarters and you aren't number 1 any more. Consumers are a lot more sophisticated than you are giving them credit for.

You will be surprised, and trust me i know all about hotels (the example you made)

Many consumers are like sheep and go with a flow.

How many times, you see someone selling something on the street and no buyers, then a few come up and start to look, before you know it have 10 people grabbing things out of each other's hands.

Not really because they want it or need it, but because others are buying it with excitement.

I guess its the hype.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No actually I don't drink. I am only referring to the articles I have read over the years by beer connoisseurs and beer marketing people. I think it would be the consensus of people who drink beer that if an Asian customer was exposed to Beer Lao and any Thai beers that the Thai beers would not do well as a result.

I think the point of the OP was not to waste money on supporting industries that are doomed. I would suggest that the beer and potentially wine industries are doomed unless they improve their methods. It is not the quality of the labor it is the quality of the product that needs to be addressed.

I think Singha. Chang and Leo will disagree with you and back up their opinion by multi billion dollar accounts along with multi million dollar high rises they own all over Thailand, just to name a few of their "achievements

But most importantly , do tell us who is supporting Singha or Chang or Leo? its certainly not the government subsidies.

"

Ya that's the point. If Beer Lao can figure out distribution Singha, Chang and Leo will be on the ropes with only government money available for support. The OP is saying let them go. I agree. But we will only know after ASEAN comes into effect. I don't drink but I am sure others will tell us about the state of the wine and liquor business in Thailand. I really think the only Thai selling point is price. Once that advantage is removed they are gone. Guinness is brewed in Singapore? Right? What is the tax on Guinness is Thailand now?

sorry i do not drink beer at all, i only sell it.

i do not know about guinness, but i do know that Thai will continue to drink singha, chang, tiger and leo irrespective of how guinness or beer lao taste, because majority of thai deeply believe that anything thai is just the best.

they do not even try other things, because they "KNOW" thai is better.

Guinness is the largest selling beer in Africa, I think. That's odd eh? Two guys talking about beer who don't drink beer is a bit silly. I'll let the beer people take over.

I'c fully understand never been to Myanmar and had no reason to go really ... Just found this on the net too

YANGON, Myanmar — Myanmar called upon local and foreign investors Monday to fund construction of a second airport to serve the country's largest city, Yangon, as it prepares for an influx of tourists in the wake of political reforms.

Tin Naing Tun, the head of the Civil Aviation Department, said the planned Hanthawaddy International Airport will cover 9,000 acres (3,642 hectares), an area nine times the size of Yangon International Airport.

Under reformist President Thein Sein, Myanmar has released political prisoners and allowed a measure of democracy and press freedom, reducing its international isolation. The government hopes to develop Myanmar's tourist industry into a major money earner.

Hanthawaddy will be the country's fourth airport capable of handling international flights, after Yangon, Mandalay and the capital Naypyitaw. It will be located about 48 miles (77 kilometers) north of Yangon, near the city of Bago.

Tin Naing Tun said Bago was found to be the most suitable location among nine considered. Construction of a new airport there started in 1994 but stopped in 2003. However, 80 percent of the earth work has already been completed, he said. Bago used to host a small airstrip used by the Japanese armed forces during World War II.

Tin Naing Tun said construction will start in June 2013 and is scheduled to be completed in 2016.

"We are inviting investors to build the new airport to serve the larger number of passengers and to encourage private sector participation," Tin Naing Tun said. Yangon International Airport, which has undergone several overhauls in recent years, can handle 2.7 million passengers annually. Only 17 planes can park at the airport at the same time, according to civil aviation deputy director Nweni Win Kyaw.

Before Hanthawaddy's development was shelved in 2003, it was envisaged the airport would handle 10 million passengers a year.

Source http://www.msnbc.msn...t-serve-yangon/

I think everyone might be very surprised how quickly infrastructure can be built in Asia if it has to be. If the Chinese get involved, it can be achieved at an astonishing pace.

I would believe quite easily they will finish a new international airport in Myanmar a couple of decades quicker than Thailand managed Survhanabumi.

I'c fully understand never been to Myanmar and had no reason to go really ... Just found this on the net too

YANGON, Myanmar — Myanmar called upon local and foreign investors Monday to fund construction of a second airport to serve the country's largest city, Yangon, as it prepares for an influx of tourists in the wake of political reforms.

Tin Naing Tun, the head of the Civil Aviation Department, said the planned Hanthawaddy International Airport will cover 9,000 acres (3,642 hectares), an area nine times the size of Yangon International Airport.

Under reformist President Thein Sein, Myanmar has released political prisoners and allowed a measure of democracy and press freedom, reducing its international isolation. The government hopes to develop Myanmar's tourist industry into a major money earner.

Hanthawaddy will be the country's fourth airport capable of handling international flights, after Yangon, Mandalay and the capital Naypyitaw. It will be located about 48 miles (77 kilometers) north of Yangon, near the city of Bago.

Tin Naing Tun said Bago was found to be the most suitable location among nine considered. Construction of a new airport there started in 1994 but stopped in 2003. However, 80 percent of the earth work has already been completed, he said. Bago used to host a small airstrip used by the Japanese armed forces during World War II.

Tin Naing Tun said construction will start in June 2013 and is scheduled to be completed in 2016.

"We are inviting investors to build the new airport to serve the larger number of passengers and to encourage private sector participation," Tin Naing Tun said. Yangon International Airport, which has undergone several overhauls in recent years, can handle 2.7 million passengers annually. Only 17 planes can park at the airport at the same time, according to civil aviation deputy director Nweni Win Kyaw.

Before Hanthawaddy's development was shelved in 2003, it was envisaged the airport would handle 10 million passengers a year.

Source http://www.msnbc.msn...t-serve-yangon/

:), they sure are on the ball, but the scheduled completion date in my opinion is slightly under rated, i would say it will be finish no earlier then 2017-2018 if started in 2013.

Not being negative, but just looking at how long it took other countries to build an international airport and make it all functional.

Guinness is the largest selling beer in Africa, I think. That's odd eh? Two guys talking about beer who don't drink beer is a bit silly. I'll let the beer people take over.

And pasta is largest selling food in Italy and still do not see too many Thai's eat itbiggrin.png

You will be surprised, and trust me i know all about hotels (the example you made)

Many consumers are like sheep and go with a flow.

How many times, you see someone selling something on the street and no buyers, then a few come up and start to look, before you know it have 10 people grabbing things out of each other's hands.

Not really because they want it or need it, but because others are buying it with excitement.

I guess its the hype.

Equating street hawkers with Thailand's issues within Asean is a bit of a stretch I think.

As for street hawkers specifically, even I know where the best noodle stand (as far as I am concerned) in town is. They do a roaring trade every day. But I did notice last week that the portions are getting stingier as prices go up.

And pasta is largest selling food in Italy and still do not see too many Thai's eat itbiggrin.png

But noodles go down quite well I think you will find.

LOL, you would think noodles or pasta is the same, but not in Thai eyes

You are so right; wifey won't touch Pasta as it 'doesn't taste aloy' !

Thailand's beer consumption is the largest in South East Asia. I don't think the analogy fits.

Thailand's beer consumption is the largest in South East Asia. I don't think the analogy fits.

in your opinionthumbsup.gif ,

how does beer consumption compare to noodle/pasta consumption?

got figures for that also?

• Like 1

Well, they all came from China they say. So you could say the Italians are just re-exporting something.

Thailands electronics industry is an assembly line process designed by the Japanese to microdivide tasks to a level where chimps could be trained and be cost effective if only bananas weren't so expensive

"Our governments tend to continue subsidising less competitive sectors even though they might better use resources promoting the potential of a sector or industries with a better future."

You can't promote the potentials of new sectors and industries without having a skilled and educated workforce. Most issues in this country can be tracked back to the appalling standard of education and the 'general' lack of ability in the population.

i do not think skilled and educated is the problem, The lack of work ethics is.

Anyone can be taught, trained and educated, but in general they do not stay in the same job for long enough to be trained to have the skills.

Just as an example, in Australia it takes 3-4 years of Apprenticeship to become skilled mechanic and they really push you to stay in the same place of work.

while in Thailand they become experts mechanics after 3 months and know everything about nothing

Its funny that Australia is asking for so many Thai workers at this very moment; if your arguement stands true, it doesn't say much for Australia's work standards in country........whistling.gif

if only we were discussing Australiarolleyes.gif

remind me again for what sector were they asking? ohh thats right farmingwhistling.gif , while in the mean time Thailand has sought and is allowing 200 000 foreign factory and construction workers as we speakthumbsup.gif

Actually no, it was the construction and factory side of things:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/552374-australia-wants-thai-workers-to-work-in-its-construction-industry/

Believe it was you that raised Australia and the difference in standards..........whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa....ction-industry/

Believe it was you that raised Australia and the difference in standards..........whistling.gif

Just wondering if you actually read the link

Australia seeking 20 000 skilled workers and those who possess some English speaking skill that is acceptable to Australian employers

So how many did they get? met a construction worker yet in Thailand who spoke any English? or enough to understand the directions?whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa....ction-industry/

Just wondering if you actually read the link

Australia seeking 20 000 skilled workers and those who possess some English speaking skill that is acceptable to Australian employers

So how many did they get? met a construction worker yet in Thailand who spoke any English? or enough to understand the directions?whistling.gif

tongue.png I have to admit, not on the construction front. However, several on the steel fabrication side. Also know a welder (Thai, 6G qualified. never worked overseas) that puts my English to shame...............wink.png

You do get them, sometimes.