What? You'Ve Never Started A Topic! Why?

Some people are just shy and introverted and find the internet an easy release for their frustration.

But not starting any threads at all...zilch....nothing serious to worry about, just means that person...he or she...is a follower rather than any type of leader....prefers to flock together in a group than soar on their own.

Which is better, to crawl on the ground like a weasel and live, or fly like an eagle and get sucked into the engines of a passing 747.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people are just shy and introverted and find the internet an easy release for their frustration.

But not starting any threads at all...zilch....nothing serious to worry about, just means that person...he or she...is a follower rather than any type of leader....prefers to flock together in a group than soar on their own.

Which is better, to crawl on the ground like a weasel and live, or fly like an eagle and get sucked into the engines of a passing 747.

Reincarnation is a wonderful thing.

(sometimes)

Edited by smokie36

Reincarnation is a wonderful thing.

(sometimes)

Amorphous concepts make a tangible crutch for those that require one, not much else.

There is a general sort of trend, once a member has been here for a few years, their topic starting tends to dwindle more than a little bit, there could be a couple of reasons for this, the most obvious one is that any question they have are easily answered using the search facility here or on the www in general.

The second could be, only an attention whore craves looking like an attention whore.

Ahem,

I've started 110 topics in the last 9 months.

What are you trying to say huh.png .

There is a general sort of trend, once a member has been here for a few years, their topic starting tends to dwindle more than a little bit, there could be a couple of reasons for this, the most obvious one is that any question they have are easily answered using the search facility here or on the www in general.

The second could be, only an attention whore craves looking like an attention whore.

Ahem,

You have really started 110 topics in 9 months!!! I know someone doing a stretch in solitary that couldn't find the time to do thatwhistling.gifermm.giflaugh.png

• Like 1

Ahem,

I did say 'after a few years' mate. smile.png

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 1

For me ... it was 14 months after I joined before I plucked up the courage to do my initial post ... I sort of just ducked the issue before that.

Not that I am intrinsically a shy person but I like to test the depth of water before paddling in.

So, while waiting 14 months before my 1st posting, that contributes to why I am amused that some members join and write War and Peace with their first OP.

I normally think ... 'Awesome first post' ... thumbsup.gif

Sadly, that 1st post of mine attracted just one reply ... crying.gif ... things haven't improved much since!

Its not about courage Dave. Its about really being that bored that you have nothing else to do. And fear not, if your first post only attracted one reply then that probably means you are on a higher intellectual plateau. biggrin.png

I didn't think I started that many topics but taking a peek - 253 items (topics) by Tywais (Search limited from 2010-07-21). Scary to think how many during the 9 1/2 years as a member. Most I start are for informational purposes such as in the Computer, Photography or Chiang Mai forum. Very rarely do I start a "where is ..." or ask a question topic.

I didn't think I started that many topics but taking a peek - 253 items (topics) by Tywais (Search limited from 2010-07-21). Scary to think how many during the 9 1/2 years as a member. Most I start are for informational purposes such as in the Computer, Photography or Chiang Mai forum. Very rarely do I start a "where is ..." or ask a question topic.

I'm only on around 70 topics....but come on all you who haven't started even one....let's hear your reasons!! I'm fascinated to know the reasons for this....

I'm only on around 70 topics....but come on all you who haven't started even one....let's hear your reasons!! I'm fascinated to know the reasons for this....

They just might have nothing to share...empty headed like.

Or...they are on a superior level to us and do not need to mingle....just observe and fix.....

They just might have nothing to share...empty headed like.

Or...they are on a superior level to us and do not need to mingle....just observe and fix.....

Difficult to get my head around that. I've started threads from the sublime to the ridiculous...and even a few serious ones to silence the doubters.

To have arrived here without any questions to ask at all seems a tad strange to me. I wonder what the psychologists would make of it?

Fruit and cake spring to mind!

I have only started a couple of threads because generally speaking i don't care for what anyone else thinks, says or does.

Awesome team leader potential here..

laugh.png And an awesome response too mate!!! Top quality post...........thumbsup.gif

To be fair smokes my old mate you started that topic called "My Thai Lady which was almost worthy of castration! laugh.png

To be fair smokes my old mate you started that topic called "My Thai Lady which was almost worthy of castration! laugh.png

:D Now now....no need for that. :P

Better is right...here we go Thaddy....

Better is right...here we go Thaddy....

Madness were so cool in their day, but feet on the ground....

• Like 1

I've started many topics and most of them asking questions because I don't claim to be a know it all and I'm constantly learning new things about Thailand every day. :)

I don't consider myself to be a holier than thou member of the board at all. Of course I start posts to tell people about things/dramas that may have happened in my life but I'm just sharing my experiences. After all we all have Thailand in common.

I've started many topics and most of them asking questions because I don't claim to be a know it all and I'm constantly learning new things about Thailand every day. smile.png

I don't consider myself to be a holier than thou member of the board at all. Of course I start posts to tell people about things/dramas that may have happened in my life but I'm just sharing my experiences. After all we all have Thailand in common.

I agree. That's what makes it odd to me that some have never bothered to do this. Why are they here I wonder?

I've started many topics and most of them asking questions because I don't claim to be a know it all and I'm constantly learning new things about Thailand every day. smile.png

I agree. That's what makes it odd to me that some have never bothered to do this. Why are they here I wonder?

I can moderately agree ... because some just like to watch ... whistling.gif

I'm not talking about guests David, I'm referring to members with post counts in the thousands.

Afraid of being called a troll

Afraid of being told to go back where they came from

Afraid of being flamed

Afraid of looking like an idiot

Afraid they have nothing to contribute

Afraid of being told to 'search for it'.

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are pretty much at the top from what I've seen of the forum. wink.png

• Like 2

Afraid of being flamed

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are pretty much at the top from what I've seen of the forum. wink.png

I suspect you are right there Tywais....as David pointed out it took him a long time to start his first....and myself also, probably for similar reasons, and the board was far less accommodating in those days as well.

Its sad then that after following for several thousand posts that someone would still feel afraid to fully join in and tell us what is on their mind.

At least we are getting to the bones of the matter. thumbsup.gif Would be good to hear from a non Thread starter though and listen to their views.

I think some people live in a different Thailand from others.

I don't start topics unless I am reasonably confident that if I don't start it, no-one else will. And that is evidenced by the paucity of replies.

SC

• Like 1

Thats what my wife says....but without moderation.

Afraid of being flamed

I agree with points 2, 4 and 5 in such a case.....

Afraid of being flamed

I suspect you are right there Tywais....as David pointed out it took him a long time to start his first....and myself also, probably for similar reasons, and the board was far less accommodating in those days as well.

Its sad then that after following for several thousand posts that someone would still feel afraid to fully join in and tell us what is on their mind.

At least we are getting to the bones of the matter. thumbsup.gif Would be good to hear from a non Thread starter though and listen to their views.

Maybe some people are simply more interested in thaivisa, and as such, other peoples opinions that others. I simply dont care what anonymous people think. Why would i? I do care however what my friends think and if theres something on my mind i'll ask one of them.

And if some little blert of a keyboard warrior feels bored and wants to type some unpleasant lines directed to me why would i give a toss?

How can someone really be shy posting a topic on an internet forum? Now that doesn't make sense does it!

Edited by carmine