London Olympics

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

London Olympics

With 18 Days to go until the Summer Olympics to be held in London … surprised that no-one from the British Isles has kicked this topic off and owned it.

You just had the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

Wimbledon 2012

(Don’t mention the Cricket ... crying.gif )

So show your sporting pride ... support your Nation ... your team here

Edited by David48

^^ Thanks to TheWalkingMan for kicking this off so the USA gets a special mention.

What was interesting when I searched for general information about the USA Olympic big was that there was no central theme ... but each individual sport spruiking it's prospects.

Here is your passion ... the trials for the Track and Field Team.

There does seem to be a HUGE interest in Team USA Basketball.

As a nice quirky aside ... here is the USA athletic squad photographed.

post-104736-0-46419800-1341815508_thumb. and post-104736-0-59349900-1341815511_thumb.

Roads closed for cycle races etc. (at least we don't live on any the routes).

Major traffic hold ups on a 19th century central London road system already unable to cope at peak times.

Extra passengers trying to use a public transport system already operating at overcapacity.

Over reaction from security services such as this.

Really looking forward to it; not!

I intend to remain outside the M25 for the duration and watch on the telly.

I understand that having such a major sporting even can cause disruptions at all levels of 'normal' lifestyle ... but it can also create opportunities.

Apart from the sporting legacy the Olympics will leave the greater London area, there will the public transport upgrades and physical London Olympics infrastructure.

Just a thought about opportunities ... there would have to be some enticing Airline deals on offer to fly out of London during the games period? Returning just slightly after they have closed?

Thailand at the Olympics

Thailand first participated at the Olympic Games in 1952, and has sent athletes to compete in every Summer Olympic Games since then, except when they participated in the American-led boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics. Thailand has also participated in the Winter Olympic Games since 2002.

Thai athletes have won a total of twenty-one medals, mostly in boxing. Thailand's most successful Games to date were the 2004 Games in Athens, where they won eight medals.

Source

This is the website in English for the National Olympic Committee of Thailand ... post-104736-0-07138500-1341884004_thumb.

• Like 1

Major traffic hold ups on a 19th century central London road system already unable to cope at peak times.

Extra passengers trying to use a public transport system already operating at overcapacity.

I must be mistaken but isn't this website called Thaivisa 40.gif

It is, and this is the sports forum.

All sports, not just sport in Thailand; as you can easily see from the description on the main page!

Our sports forum including other hobbies & activities. English football, the Rugby or whatever. Everything that sweats here!

The Thai Olympian archer (Witthaya Thamwong) is leaving for London with his Korean coach (Kim Sun Bin) tonight. It is the first time an archer represents Thailand at the Olympics. We wish them good luck.

post-139578-0-99060100-1342090525_thumb.

Edited by Thaistory
  • Like 1

In the past, based on the relatively small population of Australia and what we consider our strong sporting heritage we have typically 'punched above our weight'.

Being a nation of roughly 20 million odd we finished 6th on the Medal Tally

Medal Tally here

This Olympics is being forecast to be no where that expectation.

A panel discuss Australia's medal hopes here.

In the past, based on the relatively small population of Australia and what we consider our strong sporting heritage we have typically 'punched above our weight'.

Being a nation of roughly 20 million odd we finished 6th on the Medal Tally

Medal Tally here

This Olympics is being forecast to be no where that expectation.

A panel discuss Australia's medal hopes here.

A friend of mine, and a Wueenslander to boot, reckoned that Australia's sporting success was ue to the seriousness with which they approached it, and suggested that if they approached commerce, trade and industry with the same application it would stand them in good stead. However, I believe that already, countries all around the globe approach commerce trade and industry with that application, and that now, they also have the resources to apply the same commitment to sport, so that Australia will be brought back into the peleton so to speak. Of course Scotland, with its prediliction for rain, wind, foul weather, chip suppers, strong drink and celtic grizzling, will continue to astound with its under-achievement. Some cultures are easier to sustain than others...

SC

EDIT: On the bright side, we don't get to compete in the Olympics as an independent and deprecable nation (and long may it remain so!); we can draw joy from the few Scots that excel, and there is always a mediocre (or excellent) Englishman to take our place in that small 95% of cases where we do not.

WHilst we are on the subject of digresions, I have often been perplexed by how we should address those sports that we do not play as one nation; specicially, rugby, football and pretty much everything else. I reckon we would perform better on the world stage if the home nations held a competition amongst themselves to determine who would represent the Kingdom on the world stage. And if the English should win it, as from time to time, they must, then we would get behind them, and they would put forward a team that had already shown its mettle by defeating its celtic counterparts; and, as might happen from time to time, we or one of our celtic cousins might win, then we would have a team ready-made that been forged in the heat of mediocre parochial competition, ready to face the best in the world

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

The Thai Olympian archer (Witthaya Thamwong) is leaving for London with his Korean coach (Kim Sun Bin) tonight. It is the first time an archer represents Thailand at the Olympics. We wish them good luck.

Koreans rock at archery. I watched it for the first time on television during the 2008 Olympics. At that time I thought it would be a good sport for Thailand and other lesser know summer games countries as the athlete does not need as much physical strength, speed etc as mental.

Great sporting event, hugely looking forward to it especially the 1500 hundred mens final as I am taking the family and my uncle is coming from Ireland, a veteran of 7 previous Olympics.

Ireland have few hopes, Katie Taylor in the boxing, always have some hope for a medal in the Mens boxing, look out for Derval O'Rourke and Grainne Murphy, but little else.

• Like 1

All major and even minor sporting event have their difficulties, but what is the alterntive, work, work and no play? after the shambles of G4 it is obvious something will go wrong, but something always go wrong before a major event.

I am not sure if you are suggesting that the Olympics (any major event ) should not be staged at all, or just not in London, NIMBY mentality?

As for the over reaction of the Police on the Megabus, what if it had been a real bomb incident and they had sent two PCSO's, I wonder what the Daily Mails reaction would have been then.

If this a chaotic games, outside of the sporting brilliance, I feel I may agree with you, but that will be down to Lord Coe and his co horts not the magnificent world wide participants.

All major and even minor sporting event have their difficulties, but what is the alterntive, work, work and no play? after the shambles of G4 it is obvious something will go wrong, but something always go wrong before a major event.

I am not sure if you are suggesting that the Olympics (any major event ) should not be staged at all, or just not in London, NIMBY mentality?

As for the over reaction of the Police on the Megabus, what if it had been a real bomb incident and they had sent two PCSO's, I wonder what the Daily Mails reaction would have been then.

If this a chaotic games, outside of the sporting brilliance, I feel I may agree with you, but that will be down to Lord Coe and his co horts not the magnificent world wide participants.

London beat out New York for the 2012 games. As a native New Yorker who still returns regularly, all I can say is I'm glad you beat us at winning the bid.

London 2012 Olympics: £27 million Opening Ceremony shortened by 30 minutes amid transport fears

post-104736-0-45818700-1342649283_thumb.

The decision to cut back the artistic element of the ceremony was made following rehearsals on Saturday night and Sunday raised concerns that the show will take longer than its three-hour target time.

There is particular concern that were the show to overrun and leave spectators stranded it could set the tone for the start of the Games, much as problems on the opening night of the Millennium Dome coloured perceptions of the Greenwich arena for years afterwards.

Full story here

Any news about the Thai Olympic Team or your individual countries Olympic Team is welcomed.

Edited by David48

Chris Hoy has been selected to carry the British flag at the opening ceremony on Friday night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/18953729

Steve Redgrave favourite to light the Olympic flame.

IT'S been called the curse of the Australian flag-bearer ...

post-104736-0-18520700-1343083621_thumb.

If that is going too far we can certainly say this - carrying the Australian flag at the opening ceremony of an Olympics has certainly been no lucky charm.

The Australian athlete given the role is normally overjoyed to be handed one of the great privileges in Australian sport and that has often been their most famous moment of the Games for only two of the last 10 flag-carriers have won medals.

More here.

The London Olympics have to be safe, now there will 18,000 troops involved in safeguarding the competition which apparently twice those sent to Afghanistan!

Troops deployed for Olympics ... extra security is on patrol ahead of the Olympics in London. HERE

Plus an update on the Australian Side.

Black cabs blockade bridge in Olympics protest

An ongoing Olympics protest by London's famous black cabs has brought the iconic Tower Bridge to a standstill as cabbies remain furious over being banned from driving in special Olympics-only lanes.

Short clip HERE