London Olympics

London 2012 Olympics: Mo Farah goes the distance to become a true great

post-104736-0-09124700-1344796125_thumb.

Mo Farah crosses the line to win his second gold of the Games

THE perfect Games have had the perfect ending, Mo Farah providing it ...

There has been a lot of talk of greatness and legend these past weeks and Farah now enters that conversation.

Only six men in history had ever done the Olympic double over the long distances, but six became seven last night. Farah’s 5,000m victory, just like the 10,000m triumph that went before, was a thing of beauty and a joy forever, a stunning display of endless power, tactical nous and unbreakable will.

They came for him. Oh how they came for him ... more

EDIT

post-104736-0-42141200-1344796588_thumb.

.. make of it what you will but this image is widely regarded as Usain Bolt acknowledging Mo Farah's achievements at the London Games.

Edited by David48

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I intend to grow a pair of "wiggies" to celebrate team GBR's successes.

The massive populations and funding by China and USA compared to the 60 million pop of the UK.

Most of the Team Gb competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

That's what make GREAT Britain.

On another note

To members on here who have children of dual nationalities, which must be several thousand! How about we all push them more to take up Olympian sports( I'm not saying you do or don't push them enough allready). Then maybe in 8 or 12 years time we can see the benefits of a vastly improved and varied Thai Olympic team.

For the record i have 3 who are interested in cycling, Javelin and tennis,What are your serious thoughts on this matter please.....

Your idea is a good one,but trying to convince Thai Governments to take the Olympics seriously and put some money into Sport is going to be hard work. Witness their effort at this Olympics,at the opening ceremony it looked like the Thai Contingency was about fifteen athletes,no need to ask why they only have 1 Silver and 1 Bronze up to now,with 3 or 4 days left,and a few million larger population than the UK.

The Thai goverment won't put investment into future Olympians. This has to start at grass roots level.Then investment will follow if resuls can be shown.

How many Luk Krueng and Thai children live in Thailand with sports orientated parents that will push, inspire and encourage their children to be the best at a particular chosen sport?

For the record there was 37 Thai atheletes.

Hmmm, how can you show results without investment,or to put it another way,which comes first the Chicken or the Egg??

and for the record it should be the Thai Government who take the initiative,and not the Farang Aliens! it's the Thai Peoples Country,and if they are not so interested,why should anyone else be??

The massive populations and funding by China and USA compared to the 60 million pop of the UK.

Most of the Team Gb competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

On another note

To members on here who have children of dual nationalities, which must be several thousand! How about we all push them more to take up Olympian sports( I'm not saying you do or don't push them enough allready). Then maybe in 8 or 12 years time we can see the benefits of a vastly improved and varied Thai Olympic team.

For the record i have 3 who are interested in cycling, Javelin and tennis,What are your serious thoughts on this matter please.....

Your idea is a good one,but trying to convince Thai Governments to take the Olympics seriously and put some money into Sport is going to be hard work. Witness their effort at this Olympics,at the opening ceremony it looked like the Thai Contingency was about fifteen athletes,no need to ask why they only have 1 Silver and 1 Bronze up to now,with 3 or 4 days left,and a few million larger population than the UK.

The Thai goverment won't put investment into future Olympians. This has to start at grass roots level.Then investment will follow if resuls can be shown.

How many Luk Krueng and Thai children live in Thailand with sports orientated parents that will push, inspire and encourage their children to be the best at a particular chosen sport?

Hmmm, how can you show results without investment,or to put it another way,which comes first the Chicken or the Egg??

and for the record it should be the Thai Government who take the initiative,and not the Farang Aliens! it's the Thai Peoples Country,and if they are not so interested,why should anyone else be??

Typical farang, expecting the government to do everything for them. Think not "What can my country do for me" but "What can I do for my country..."

etc.

SC

• Like 1

Sorry, I can't stand hypocrites. If you're going to keep posting shit on this thread I'll keep posting the facts.

You can leave if you don't like it.

I don't have a problem with GB going so well, it was entirely predictable and good luck to them.

Australia's decline was equally predictable. The lack of funding and desertion of coaches for the big buck was there to be seen by anyone for years.

What I don't like is the nasty gloating by people like you!

Team GB "Elite" get £120 million+ per year, Elite meaning best hope of golds, as a Brit i get no pride in buying gold medals as has happened this year, now coming to light games are probably going to end up all costs involved at £27 billion, some what above coe's initial £3billlion. Physcologists, dietitians, even full time weather man for the yatching team so as to make final adjustments upto the yatchs going into the water. Althletes were advised they had to use same pillow 1 month before competing as it was pyscologically beneficial <deleted>. How can this be in the olympic spirt when competing against poorer nations who can barely afford air fares and a set of trainers. Team GB the Manchester City of the olympic world. Qoute below sums it up "we had so much money" . Whats a director of cycling performance do????

“We’ve just been able to go out with lots of money and hire the absolute best people”, was the honest assessment of David Brailsford, cycling performance director of Team Britain, whose Australian head coach Shane Sutton was the engineer of seven gold medals in London.

Hypocrosy and gloating eh, how sick is that. ????

If you are saying team GB achieved their success due only to money you are doing them a great injustice.

You are also insulting their pre olympic programmes of many years along with huge sacrifices and non funding days when their potential was in it,s early days and it took much hard work and most appreciated local support to reach their present olympian standards.

You are in adddition insulting the efforts put in by those who were sadly and unable to raise their potential to the heights required to qualify for what ever heartbreaking reasons.

I guarantee many of them will continue to work hard, as most of the younger ones who did manage to qualify and compete this time, for the next olympics, with or without the mega funding you seemingly think is the reason / substitute for their continued hard work, dedication and love of their chosen disciplines.

Sure the funding helps in the latter stages for those who did qualify, but for you to seemingly suggest that it is soley responsible for their success and totally ignore all they have prior to getting itis undeserving and an insult to them, their families and us the general public of GB ( add to this all the other participants / athletes of many nationalities ) who have watched in amazement and or competed.

Because believe you of me the medals were earned via blood, sweat and many tears over a long journey going way back, off stage in annonymous locations throughout the country / world.

It did not take place in the miniscule amount of time the games were ongoing and make no mistake, they were and felt privilidged to be doing so....WIN or LOOSE but again it started over many many years in most cases to reach this privileged position.

I am now happy as an avid lover of sport and a proud citizen of GB, to be able to say these games have been a complete success for all of us and we have been privilidged to have been given the opportunity, in spite of the synical predictions re security, organisation, alleged chaos and limited interest ect. ect. ect.

How wrong they were.

How proud I am they were all proven wrong and boy has it left a genuine feeling of pride and the good will factor not only in the UK but around the globe.

I now look forward to the commencement of the para-olympics towards the end of the month.

While it is not to the liking of those who cannot look beyond their disabilities they are for me if it were at all possible after the London Olympic Games, more so inspiring and I hope they get similar support while it is taking place.

The participants deserve nothing less IMHO and have rebuilt their setbacks and tragic circumstances into something positive and gives them an important feeling of being appreciated NOT ignored, being treated as whatever the synical out there, wish to and sadly do catergorise them and a will to continue, build their lost self esteeme and give them a will to live and achieve.

Oh by the way

The list of those far worse off in financial funding you mistakenly use as a reason for Australias not this time reaching their potential beggars belief when you consider how many of the poorer nations have managed to get here, compete and by doing so WIN or LOOSE have achieved so much puts your line of thinking way out of order.

It,s not just the olympics that are in decline at present in good old Aussie by the way and it,s not down to pure financial reasons,

It,s called the cycle of life / natural progression and you happen to be going through an unfamiliar stage of expecting to and being the best, have to re adopt and have the humilty to offer genuine appreciation for those who have now deservedly replaced you.

After all this is what true sportsmanship is about and most certainly what has been in abundance during the competitions from competitors, volunteers, spectators, organisors and all the participating countries, well most of them

Be proud, not synically look for excuses as to why...get over it as you are not at present number 1,2,3 or whatever.

Be a true sportsman as most Aussies are and rightly aspire to be.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

Team GB "Elite" get £120 million+ per year, Elite meaning best hope of golds, as a Brit i get no pride in buying gold medals as has happened this year, now coming to light games are probably going to end up all costs involved at £27 billion, some what above coe's initial £3billlion.

Sorry, but got your facts mixed up there, mateyboy. The Games cost in the region of 9-10 billion (pounds), while likely bringing in somewhere in the region of 20 billion (pounds). They scrimped and saved, while the cost towards the athletes is negligible, though welcomed, as yesteryear there was practically no budget, an embarrassment for a first world country (athletes paying air fares etc). Off-topic, but if you want to talk about money in the wrong place, look to the 20-40 billion (pounds) the EU swallows and the 2 billion (pounds) that India gets. As for 'buying golds', I think you can safely be consigned to the haters' section with that comment and any further input from you should be discounted. Good day.

• Like 2

Sorry, I can't stand hypocrites. If you're going to keep posting shit on this thread I'll keep posting the facts.

I don't have a problem with GB going so well, it was entirely predictable and good luck to them.

Australia's decline was equally predictable. The lack of funding and desertion of coaches for the big buck was there to be seen by anyone for years.

Team GB "Elite" get £120 million+ per year, Elite meaning best hope of golds, as a Brit i get no pride in buying gold medals as has happened this year, now coming to light games are probably going to end up all costs involved at £27 billion, some what above coe's initial £3billlion. Physcologists, dietitians, even full time weather man for the yatching team so as to make final adjustments upto the yatchs going into the water. Althletes were advised they had to use same pillow 1 month before competing as it was pyscologically beneficial <deleted>. How can this be in the olympic spirt when competing against poorer nations who can barely afford air fares and a set of trainers. Team GB the Manchester City of the olympic world. Qoute below sums it up "we had so much money" . Whats a director of cycling performance do????

“We’ve just been able to go out with lots of money and hire the absolute best people”, was the honest assessment of David Brailsford, cycling performance director of Team Britain, whose Australian head coach Shane Sutton was the engineer of seven gold medals in London.

Hypocrosy and gloating eh, how sick is that. ????

If you are saying team GB achieved their success due only to money you are doing them a great injustice.

You are also insulting their pre olympic programmes of many years along with huge sacrifices and non funding days when their potential was in it,s early days and it took much hard work and most appreciated local support to reach their present olympian standards.

You are in adddition insulting the efforts put in by those who were sadly and unable to raise their potential to the heights required to qualify for what ever heartbreaking reasons.

I guarantee many of them will continue to work hard, as most of the younger ones who did manage to qualify and compete this time, for the next olympics, with or without the mega funding you seemingly think is the reason / substitute for their continued hard work, dedication and love of their chosen disciplines.

Sure the funding helps in the latter stages for those who did qualify, but for you to seemingly suggest that it is soley responsible for their success and totally ignore all they have prior to getting itis undeserving and an insult to them, their families and us the general public of GB ( add to this all the other participants / athletes of many nationalities ) who have watched in amazement and or competed.

Because believe you of me the medals were earned via blood, sweat and many tears over a long journey going way back, off stage in annonymous locations throughout the country / world.

It did not take place in the miniscule amount of time the games were ongoing and make no mistake, they were and felt privilidged to be doing so....WIN or LOOSE but again it started over many many years in most cases to reach this privileged position.

I am now happy as an avid lover of sport and a proud citizen of GB, to be able to say these games have been a complete success for all of us and we have been privilidged to have been given the opportunity, in spite of the synical predictions re security, organisation, alleged chaos and limited interest ect. ect. ect.

How wrong they were.

How proud I am they were all proven wrong and boy has it left a genuine feeling of pride and the good will factor not only in the UK but around the globe.

I now look forward to the commencement of the para-olympics towards the end of the month.

While it is not to the liking of those who cannot look beyond their disabilities they are for me if it were at all possible after the London Olympic Games, more so inspiring and I hope they get similar support while it is taking place.

The participants deserve nothing less IMHO and have rebuilt their setbacks and tragic circumstances into something positive and gives them an important feeling of being appreciated NOT ignored, being treated as whatever the synical out there, wish to and sadly do catergorise them and a will to continue, build their lost self esteeme and give them a will to live and achieve.

Oh by the way

The list of those far worse off in financial funding you mistakenly use as a reason for Australias not this time reaching their potential beggars belief when you consider how many of the poorer nations have managed to get here, compete and by doing so WIN or LOOSE have achieved so much puts your line of thinking way out of order.

It,s not just the olympics that are in decline at present in good old Aussie by the way and it,s not down to pure financial reasons,

It,s called the cycle of life / natural progression and you happen to be going through an unfamiliar stage of expecting to and being the best, have to re adopt and have the humilty to offer genuine appreciation for those who have now deservedly replaced you.

After all this is what true sportsmanship is about and most certainly what has been in abundance during the competitions from competitors, volunteers, spectators, organisors and all the participating countries, well most of them

Be proud, not synically look for excuses as to why...get over it as you are not at present number 1,2,3 or whatever.

Be a true sportsman as most Aussies are and rightly aspire to be.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Nice speech. Even got the disabled games bit in to give your words humanity.thumbsup.gif

However, it lost a fair bit of impact because you misused the quote function. You've combined my, and Marsten's post, into one, and attacked it as if it was a single entity. Very confusing.

I called a particular poster on this thread a hypocrite (for attacking other nations former drug cheats, while ignoring those from GB) and a gloater (for nasty comments about Australians, which even included the cricket!). My statements were not aimed at all Britains. Read the whole thread before flying off the keyboard!

And, while I talked about funding, or lack of it, as a factor, I mainly stressed the loss of coaches for Australia's decline.

Marsten had his own points of view.

You are ofcourse referring to me and there was no hypocrasy as i detest ALL drug cheats and NEVER suggested otherwise. I was appalled that Dwain Chambers was chosen. Don't distort my posts to back up your flimsy afguement.

You my friend are just a bad loser. Ever arrogant and little or no grace in victory. can't wait for the Ashes and that blowhard McGrath make his usual arrogant big headed gloating prediction.

Thanks to david though for an excellent thread and grace in what has been a difficult games for the australians

You are ofcourse referring to me and there was no hypocrasy as i detest ALL drug cheats and NEVER suggested otherwise. I was appalled that Dwain Chambers was chosen. Don't distort my posts to back up your flimsy afguement.

You my friend are just a bad loser. Ever arrogant and little or no grace in victory. can't wait for the Ashes and that blowhard McGrath make his usual arrogant big headed gloating prediction.

Thanks to david though for an excellent thread and grace in what has been a difficult games for the australians

Carmine, I could come back at you in the same vein, but I'll let your posts earlier in this thread speak for you.

Did any of our forummers attend any of the events? Was the cock-up with the Korean flags at Hampden the low point of the tournament?

How was the traffic management? What was the merchandising, the off-site entertainment like?

I was told by people who were there earlier in the year that London was looking particularly clean and well-spruced-up.

SC

On another note

Quite right !

If they want to continue to be a national of losers, let them be.

Carmine, I could come back at you in the same vein, but I'll let your posts earlier in this thread speak for you.

Didn't think you had an answer oh distorter of posts...laugh.png

Team GB "Elite" get 120 million+ per year, Elite meaning best hope of golds, as a Brit i get no pride in buying gold medals as has happened this year, now coming to light games are probably going to end up all costs involved at 27 billion, some what above coe's initial 3billlion. Physcologists, dietitians, even full time weather man for the yatching team so as to make final adjustments upto the yatchs going into the water. Althletes were advised they had to use same pillow 1 month before competing as it was pyscologically beneficial <deleted>. How can this be in the olympic spirt when competing against poorer nations who can barely afford air fares and a set of trainers. Team GB the Manchester City of the olympic world. Qoute below sums it up "we had so much money" . Whats a director of cycling performance do????

Athletes are professionals and sport is a business but you ask any of them if they are in it for love or money I'd wager all would say for the love of the sport.

Personally I see nothing wrong with using the very best coaches/psycologists/technical directors etc.

They are there to get the best from an athlete and the Olympics should be a showcase for the exceptional.

• Like 1

Did any of our forummers attend any of the events? Was the cock-up with the Korean flags at Hampden the low point of the tournament?

How was the traffic management? What was the merchandising, the off-site entertainment like?

I was told by people who were there earlier in the year that London was looking particularly clean and well-spruced-up.

SC

The Organisation and Coordination of such a Collossal event was fantastic,and flowed seemlessly. One must expect some minor errors,and not dwell on them,as if it was some sort of catastrophe,there are not many Countries in the World that could have organised the Olympics so well. And the people of Great Britain should be, are very proud of the the first class presentation and performance. and the unbiased media coverage given to all participating Countries,of this marvellous once in a lifetime spectacle.

Edited my quote out for brevity purposes ( post 280 for reference )

Nice speech. Even got the disabled games bit in to give your words humanity.thumbsup.gif

However, it lost a fair bit of impact because you misused the quote function. You've combined my, and Marsten's post, into one, and attacked it as if it was a single entity. Very confusing.

I called a particular poster on this thread a hypocrite (for attacking other nations former drug cheats, while ignoring those from GB) and a gloater (for nasty comments about Australians, which even included the cricket!). My statements were not aimed at all Britains. Read the whole thread before flying off the keyboard!

And, while I talked about funding, or lack of it, as a factor, I mainly stressed the loss of coaches for Australia's decline.

Marsten had his own points of view.

I don,t know how several quotes became one but apologise for any unintentional misuse of the quote facility. ( Well I do, we have to credit Marsten for crafty misuse, manipulation and grouping here IMHO whistling.gif )

I,d like to think, in fact know that most Brits are proud of what has been achieved via fair play and clean abilities.

Did you see the testing facilities that were put in place by Team GB organisers by the way and most importantly all tests have been frozen and can be referred to anytime down the line for further testing, as and when any new substances come to light / are discovered.

10, 20 years ahead ect. ect. so any unintentional misuse will come out in the open

Another important ( non gloating ) observation we can be justifiably proud of IMHO

There is no place in any sport for those using drugs or other means to enhance their performance and this includes foul play and unsporting conduct ect. ect.

I didn,t intend my post to be read as a speech either, it wasn,t pre written or planned as such.

As I always do, I type on reaction to what I read and the flow of words are in this case from my sense of fair play and what I see as IMHO totally unfair, unjustified comment in relation to my reactions.

Most Aussies I have met are usually forthright in their opinions as indeed us Yorkies are and will hold their hands up to recognise achievement, gaIned fairly, and sportingly offer congratulations, especially were I live when commenting on sport in general and especially the GB Olympics.

Re the cricket and indeed rugby to name but 2 examples it has and always will be six and half a dozen re the comments and this is part of the culture attached to it.

At the end of the day from the captains down, when fairly defeated there is always a sporting reaction aknowledgement once the initial reactions of being beaten by our long time adversaries.

By the way when we won the world cup back in 2003, I named our new puppy Martin in honour of our captain, who is still with us today.

I react acccordingly when I consider comment unfair and that encompasses all things I come across, not only sport.

I prefer to voice it, but on the forum it is not possible to do so personally so go the typo way which Thai Visa kindly facilitates for our membership live, online.

We can all make mistakes and misjudge a members intended comment and I am sometimes unintentionally guilty of this and without hesitation will offer genuine, sincere apologies when i am aware of it.

Last of all David must be commended for showing non bias moderating on this his thread and never allowing any Aussie influence distract him from being fair and sporting to the highest order and a credit to all Australians

With kind understanding I,d like to echo the sentiments of those already posted and at the same time compliment what the majority of our members think.

WELL DONE DAVID and as Majic has kindly observed as the latest acknowledgement, a huge thank you for giving a tremendous amount of time up on our behalfs

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

Bodies in Motion: Women at the 2012 London Olympics

NBC video too sexy for US television viewers

post-21260-0-62230400-1344859613_thumb.g

Source: http://www.liveleak....=bcf_1344586580

The above video of 02:18 minutes seems to be a copy of the original video shown on television, before NBC withdrew it. A shorter version of 01:16 is on YouTube.

SC

7by7 has posted a few informative comments / observations and photo,s that seem / may indicate he was / is there S.C.

From various media reports all the above have been / are to be commended and initial fears and observations / experiences addressed and improved.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

7by7 has posted a few informative comments / observations and photo,s that seem / may indicate he was / is there S.C.

Not in person, I remained firmly outside the M25 for the entire event! Although both the cycle road race and time trials came close to home.

Despite my original rather curmudgeonly post, I did watch an awful lot of it on TV; including the light flyweight boxing final. My comments on that were based on what I saw and heard on the BBC.

The photos were taken by me at Wat Buddhapadipa in Wimbledon on Sunday. (OK, I did venture inside the M25 once before the closing ceremony.)

Incidentally, the following two tables are interesting:-

Medals per capita

Medals by GDP

Both tables are topped by the tiny island nation of Grenada.

• Like 1

Not in person, I remained firmly outside the M25 for the entire event! Although both the cycle road race and time trials came close to home.

Despite my original rather curmudgeonly post, I did watch an awful lot of it on TV; including the light flyweight boxing final. My comments on that were based on what I saw and heard on the BBC.

The photos were taken by me at Wat Buddhapadipa in Wimbledon on Sunday. (OK, I did venture inside the M25 once before the closing ceremony.)

Incidentally, the following two tables are interesting:-

Medals per capita

Medals by GDP

Both tables are topped by the tiny island nation of Grenada.

Who'd have known there were so many ways to skin a cat?

SC

Yup, made it there with my 85 year old uncle over from Ireland, my brother, the wife and the boy.

When I can figure how to post pictures I will do a thread in regard to the two days, but afraid it will have to be in Bedlam, couldn't really stand it unravelling into the peeing contest this has developed into.

The 2012 Olympics in London will be was the first summer games to use "biological passports" to try to stop drug cheats.

post-104736-0-97279000-1344894487_thumb.

London Olympic Stadium

The International Olympic Committee confirmed that some competitors in cycling, rowing, athletics and triathlon will be using the passports, which are a long term history of an athlete's physiology based on key markers in the blood.

Scientists who support the passports' introduction say they are a major step forward because they will pick up even minute changes in a competitor.

EDIT ... above from here.

Edited by David48

^^ Speaking of drugs in sport ...

Belarus shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk stripped of London 2012 gold medal after failing drugs test.

Gold Medal from post-104736-0-81790700-1344895290_thumb. now to post-104736-0-89841800-1344895288_thumb.

The positive news from that is ... New Zealand shot-putter Valerie Adams is set to be crowned Olympic champion for the second successive Games after the woman who beat her to the gold medal last week, Belarus athlete Nadzeya Ostapchuk, was stripped of her title for failing a drug test.

The Belorusian is the 12th athlete to be excluded from the London Olympics but the first to be stripped of a medal.

HERE

Apparently Valerie Adams is the current World Champion and will now be elevated (again) to the Olympic Champion and awarded the Gold Medal.

Great result for New Zealand ... thumbsup.gif

Here is the result of a survey carried out among correspondents courteousy of the BBC

Surprise ! Surpise ! the business section are predictably not happy with the non / negative effects it has had on the retail sections ect.ect.

All I can say in response to their moan of long standing on anything and everything that effects their profits

( but how does it when it is tax deductable and in any case it comes from the very people they want to patronise their business in the first place hmmmmm. ) ,

They rarely have much to say in positive terms, if at all IMHO, anytime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19206525

How can you quantify the Olympic games in monetary terms and not take into the equation the effects it has / will have on our ctitizens and most importantly our younger generations. !!!!

Plus the quality of life for everyone that comes from it.

After all the protests, especially the infamous riots involving our young ( the majority of ) and the reasons why.

The of which usually point towards them having nothing to do, nowwhere to go and obvious very low self esteem.

Not that they should use this to riot and commit the crimes that took place IMHO

I,m am realy pleased the positives of last few weeks have now become the headlines and many of those who were drawn / sucked into the rioting have helped in a big way to make the olympics and it,s wonderful effect it had on all of us and what it turned out to be. clap2.gif

Incidently the business people were complaining about how and why it got to that stage at the time and are now presented with solutions that will benefit many up and down the country as many of the victims wanted from it.

The selfish, short sightedness of some so called representatives within the business sector are beyond words.

I,m also pleased to recognise the many that do in the localities, not least of all my beloved Sheffield, that get behind their citizens / youth and not only provide generous financial assistance but get involved and find ways to encourage everyone to join them.

I am Proud to be GB Proud to be a Sheffielder and Proud of everyone who were a part of this wonderful occasion who came from all over the world to participate in and help make it what it became.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

First, we weren't quite sure if South Africa's Caster Semenya was going to compete in the Men's or Women's 800 metres event at the Olympics.

Now, Blade Runner Oscar Pistorius, who also represented South Africa in the Games, is going to participate in the upcoming Paralympics.

There may have been confusion as to where both of these runners fitted in the athletics world, but congratulations must go to them for challenging the sceptics, and winning.

post-157796-0-08137900-1344922637_thumb.

post-157796-0-02789700-1344922667_thumb.

Edited by Radar501