London Olympics

Great cycling action in the velodrome last night.

Incredibly harsh decision to relegate the Chinese from the gold medal in the womens team sprint.

Same with the British women in the prelims.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'd like to know why GB got a second chance in that sprint when the lead off guy's foot slipped in the pedal and he stuffed up the start! He's admitted he then deliberatedly crashed because the rules say you can then go again!

I remember an Australian World Champion, sprint favorite, a few Olympics ago, whose foot slipped exactly the same way, but he was eliminated. I guess he didn't have Sir God Hoy on his side!

Maybe if Sally Pearson misses the first hurdle next week, she can fall over and shout "Barlees" and get a new start?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredibly harsh decision to relegate the Chinese from the gold medal in the womens team sprint.

I'd like to know why GB got a second chance in that sprint when the lead off guy's foot slipped in the pedal and he stuffed up the start! He's admitted he then deliberatedly crashed because the rules say you can then go again!

I remember an Australian World Champion, sprint favorite, a few Olympics ago, whose foot slipped exactly the same way, but he was eliminated. I guess he didn't have Sir God Hoy on his side!

Maybe if Sally Pearson misses the first hurdle next week, she can fall over and shout "Barlees" and get a new start?

I guess it was the same reason the Polish team were allowed a restart after having the same problem.

It's classed as a mechanical failure. If it occurs during the first lap under the rules a restart is allowed.

I believe the rule was not in place when Shane Kelly had his mishap.

• Like 1

Olympics: do host nations benefit from home advantage in medal table?

It has long been assumed that playing at home gives a team an advantage - but the boost may drive up standards for years afterwards.

post-104736-0-74537300-1344033342_thumb.

Home nations were shown to win approximately three times more medals in home Olympics, they reported, and approximately two times more in Olympic Games either side of their home Olympics.

Britain's fourth place medal table standing and 47 medals at Beijing in 2008 compared to just 28 in Sydney in 2000 fit this theory, as the prospect of a future home Olympics and increased funding for sport after the announcement of London's successful bid in 2005 spurred on a new generation of British champions.

HERE

Sportsmen and woman come in all different shapes and sizes ...

For example, meet the largest man ever in the Modern Olympics.

post-104736-0-69948700-1344034136_thumb.

Guam’s' Ricardo Blas Junior

post-104736-0-10916500-1344034139_thumb. . post-104736-0-99813800-1344034140_thumb.

Towering over many at 185 cm (6' 11'') and an impressive 218kg/481lbs

Now ... to put that frame into perspective photographed below is the Olympic Romanian Gymnastics Team.

post-104736-0-68509600-1344034746_thumb.

Weighs in at roughly the same weight as our strong competitor above.

Horses for courses ...

OH ... he was beaten and did not Medal !

I concur.

It was great to see the world record being broken too by team GB.

see the Aussies started new olympic sport for loosers, competitors smashing up shops in London, cricket, rugby now olympics its all going wrongtongue.png

That's too cryptic even for me.

Normally you would only loose terrible swift swords (so I assumed at first it was fencing) or dogs of war, but field sports are not in the Olympics yet. Possibly a cause for our more more passionate posters to get behind. I am sure Aneliane could be motivated to campaign for field sports in the Olympics

SC

see the Aussies started new olympic sport for loosers, competitors smashing up shops in London, cricket, rugby now olympics its all going wrongtongue.png

As an Aussie, I take offence at that remark.

Let's revisit a little history shall we?

The Looters Prayer

Our father,

who art in prison,

my mum knows not his name,

thy Riots come,

read it in "The Sun"

in Birmingham, as it is in London,

give us this day our Welfare bread

and forgive us our looting,

as we are happy to loot those who defend stuff against us.

Lead us not into employment

but deliver us free housing,

for thine is the Facebook

the Blackberry & the Twitter,

forever and ever...

Innit

post-104736-0-88555600-1344063283_thumb.

Hurdles

post-104736-0-53810900-1344063285_thumb.

Javelin

post-104736-0-37004700-1344063287_thumb.

Judo

post-104736-0-19388100-1344063289_thumb.

Shotput

post-104736-0-14989800-1344063282_thumb.

Weight Lifting

How quickly we all forget ...

Knowing you Moss, the answer is probably something like Sparta!
1956 Melbourne
Lichtenstein, the Netherlands, Spain, and Sweden boycotted the games in protest of the Soviet invasion of Hungary. Egypt, Lebanon, and Iraq also boycotted as a result of the Suez crisis. The People's Republic of China refused to participate due to the inclusion of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
1964 Tokyo
South Africa was banned by the IOC from taking part due to its oppressive apartheid regime. This ban lasted until 1992.
1968 Mexico City
In Mexico City, 10 days before the Olympics began, students protesting against the government were surrounded by the army who opened fire, killing 267 and injuring more than 1,000. During the Games, American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos were expelled for raising their fists in a "black power" salute on the winners' podium.
1972 Munich
11 Israeli athletes were taken hostage by Palestinian terrorists 'Black September', to protest against the holding of 234 Palestinian prisoners in Israel. The terrorists murdered two of their captives, then, as the result of a bungled rescue attempt by the authorities, the remaining nine captives were killed alongside three of their captors.
1976 Montreal
At the 1976 Games 26 African countries boycotted in response to New Zealand's participation. Earlier that year a New Zealand team had undertaken a three-month rugby tour of segregated South Africa, but the IOC refused to ban them. Egypt competed for the first three days of the Games before withdrawing in support of the boycott by most other African nations. The Republic of China (Taiwan) team was also barred from entering the country, then allowed to enter if they agreed not to compete as "the Republic of China"; the Taiwanese considered this unacceptable and withdrew.
1980 Moscow
Due to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, President Carter called upon the U.S. Olympic Committee to boycott the Games. The Olympic Charter requires such committees to "resist all pressures of any kind whatsoever, whether of a political, religious or economic nature," but theory and practice diverge. The Americans stayed home, and in total 62 countries including West Germany and Japan refused to attend. In all, 80 nations participated in the Games, down from 122 nations in Munich. The USSR won 195 medals, but allegations of cheating tainted this astonishing result.
1984 Los Angeles
14 countries, including the USSR, boycotted the Games in what was widely seen as revenge for the Moscow Games four years earlier, though the official line was that they had security concerns. Ironically, China chose this year to return to the Games after a 32-year absence.
1988 Seoul
After failing to be recognized as co-host of the Games, North Korea (which was still technically at war with the South) boycotted the Games, with Cuba and Ethiopia joining them in solidarity. However there were no widespread boycotts for the first time since 1972.
1992 Barcelona
It was a rare Olympic games with no boycotts. The Soviet Union had broken up, and the new Russian republics competed under one banner (
). The Berlin Wall had been torn down - so East and West Germany competed together as a united country. South Africa returned to the Games after the end of apartheid and 32 years of sporting isolation.
2008 Beijing
There was talk of a boycott to the Beijing Olympic Games due to China's treatment of the Tibetan people, and other human rights abuses, though no major protest eventuated.
Note:

The 1916 Summer Olympics were cancelled due to World War I.

The 1940 Winter Olympics, 1940 Summer Olympics, 1944 Winter Olympics, and 1944 Summer Olympics were cancelled due to World War II.

Ha Ha, OC, my reputation goes before me and no Mozzie none of the above was the first.

The Olympic Council of Ireland was the first that I am aware of to Boycott in the 1936 Berlin Games, depriving Dr Pat Callaghan of a third Olympic Gold, someone whom my uncle travelled to latter Games with.

The Olympic Council of Ireland boycotted the 1936 Berlin Games, because the IOC insisted its team needed to be restricted to the Irish Free State rather than representing the entire island of Ireland

quote from Wiki, but it is referenced.

Newsflash !

shock result in the mens four rowing final as Australia claim a medal. shock1.gif

after doing so much talk before the event took place they could unfortunately only take a silver. laugh.png

not such a shock and carrying on in usual business like fashion, team GB take the gold ! wink.png

sorry just couldn't resist. biggrin.png

Or maybe its just sour grapes because Ausralia is a once exceptionally arrogant big headed sports nation, now very much in decline. Now, through another shrimp on the bbq and stop whinging thumbsup.gif

Or maybe its just sour grapes because Ausralia is a once exceptionally arrogant big headed sports nation, now very much in decline. Now, through another shrimp on the bbq and stop whinging thumbsup.gif

Luckily, as posted above, we are courteous in defeat and magnanimous in victory. Aren't we?

Or maybe we're arrogant tossers as well. I'd hoped not.

SC

See that track cycle sprinting?

How does that work, then?

What's all this dawdling about for, bytheway?

SC

EDIT: Now we've got the Omnium on. That looks like proper cycling... dozens of bikes spread all over the track...

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Great sporting moments:

Jessica Ennis in my favourite sport, the Womens Heptathalon, no need to win but took on the better 800m runners and just to make a point ran home a winner and achieve a Great Sporting Moment.

I don't support the team, but brilliance is not Nationality bound, fantastic sporting moment.

Edited by Mossfinn

^^ Well said Mossfin ...

As the Aussie who started this thread ... I have tried to show the Poms in the best light and focus on your Nation, because you are the Host of the Olympics.

As Aussies, we love nothing more then engaging in banter and sparring with both you guys and the KIWIS

... but the Olympics raise above this.

This is the time to celebrate your Nations successes ... and I acknowledge TEAM GB's great success to date.

I hope personally that the spirit of the Olympics can filter down to the 'average' couch potato and then can try something new in the sporting Arena or rediscover a love of sport.

Team GB Win SIX More Olympic Golds

post-104736-0-62031200-1344118369_thumb.

Ennis ... for some reason, she is my favourite TEAM GB athlete, just something about her.

Team GB have won an extraordinary six gold medals in one day after sensational victories in the athletics, rowing and cycling.

With two more golds in the rowing and another in cycling, it has been Britain's most successful day at the Olympics for more than 100 years.

MORE

Because it is in the rules of the game. However, in the spirit of the game it is to help with unexexpected problems, which of course can happen, not to expediate a poor start and in the spirit of the Games should have continued. But a however, they did not expect an honest Brit? because their response is, it is lost in translation as English is not his first language. I heard his broadcast and it was fairly obvious to me what he meant, it was to get an advantage within the rules, so what is the difference between him and the Badminton players?

He should have been disqualified, unless a language expert can tell me different

Newsflash !

shock result in the mens four rowing final as Australia claim a medal. shock1.gif

after doing so much talk before the event took place they could unfortunately only take a silver. laugh.png

not such a shock and carrying on in usual business like fashion, team GB take the gold ! wink.png

sorry just couldn't resist. biggrin.png

Australian team members were told the silver medal is much more valuable than the gold and have set their sights accordingly. They have now won 12 and are well ahead of the host nation.