London Olympics

Usain Bolt was/is magnificent and probably wasn't 100% fit which is astonishing.

Isn't a travesty though when a "clean" athelete runs a sub 10 second race and is denied a bronze medal because a proven drug cheat is allowed back into the sport.

I don't want to derail the thread but this is a disgrace. A two year ban is insuffient as it allows them a second chance at a medal. Those that believe in the second chance, like the IOC should reconsider as its to the detriment of honest atheletes.

If drug-cheats are given a second chance they should be made to wear a ball and chain in all future competitive sporting events, to give their rivals the same advantage they were trying gain unfairly.

Obviously for some sports (e.g. weightlifting) the ball and chain may not be inappropriate and an alternative arrangement (e.g. amputation of one arm) may be more effective.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usain Bolt was/is magnificent and probably wasn't 100% fit which is astonishing.

Isn't a travesty though when a "clean" athelete runs a sub 10 second race and is denied a bronze medal because a proven drug cheat is allowed back into the sport.

I don't want to derail the thread but this is a disgrace. A two year ban is insuffient as it allows them a second chance at a medal. Those that believe in the second chance, like the IOC should reconsider as its to the detriment of honest atheletes.

If drug-cheats are given a second chance they should be made to wear a ball and chain in all future competitive sporting events, to give their rivals the same advantage they were trying gain unfairly.

Obviously for some sports (e.g. weightlifting) the ball and chain may not be inappropriate and an alternative arrangement (e.g. amputation of one arm) may be more effective.

It was a horrendous decision by the IOC. I've heard both Sebastian Coe and Michael Johnson say the same but only Marion Jones agree with the decision which says it all.

I dread the day that it may be confirm that Lance Armstrong doped which is looking more of a possibility. His story was so inspiring for so many it would be shatter so many illusions

Wrong,she's

Not a scouser , she' from Sheffield, Yorkshire.

Only one thing wrong with her, she supports Sheffield United

Behave!

I thought Murray was just supreme last night. When Federer really tried to come back at him in the second set, for once he held his nerve and went right back at him.

Good show.

Wrong,she's

Not a scouser , she' from Sheffield, Yorkshire.

Only one thing wrong with her, she supports Sheffield United

Behave!

I thought Murray was just supreme last night. When Federer really tried to come back at him in the second set, for once he held his nerve and went right back at him.

Good show.

Murray was superb and this is probably the breakthrough he needed to go on and win slams. fact is, he has just hammered both the numbers one and two in the world.

can anyone think of a nation or a sport where one player is just so much better than the rest? Its laughable.

It is probably worth a thread all of its own.

I thought the same thing when I saw it last night.

It was a horrendous decision by the IOC. I've heard both Sebastian Coe and Michael Johnson say the same but only Marion Jones agree with the decision which says it all.

I dread the day that it may be confirm that Lance Armstrong doped which is looking more of a possibility. His story was so inspiring for so many it would be shatter so many illusions

Which drug cheat sprinter are you talking about, Dwain Chambers?

What would you have said if David Millar had won the cycling road race?

Following up on my statment earlier about Australia losing all their coaches after Sydney, this interesting article appeared in The Daily Telegraph:

WHAT'S worse? Getting smashed up by the rest of the world at the Olympics or knowing that Australian coaches are helping them do it?

Foreign athletes trained by Aussies have won 14 gold medals so far in London - if they could form a nation in their own right they would be fourth on the medal table.

The Aquatic Centre is where Australia has been bruised. Ken Wood has done his bit to help Chinese wonder kid Ye Shiwen to gold medals, right over the top of defending medley champion Stephanie Rice.

Denis Cotterell is rumoured to have picked up more than $500,000 with Chinese swimmer Sun Yang's world-record win in the 1500m and 400m freestyle events, although he refuses to confirm it.

And Michael Bohl has guided South Korean Park Tae-Hwan to silver medals in the 200m and 400m freestyle.

Australian coaches are giving Australians black eyes all over London. When our triathlete Erin Densham was beaten in a sprint finish in the women's triathlon, the two competitors who consigned her to bronze were guided by Aussies.

In the cycling - both on the road and in the velodrome - Australia's lack of success has been felt even more acutely because the British are being guided by the cream of our cycling coaches.

And at the rowing at Eton Dorney Australian paw prints were all over the rejuvenation of British rowing.

The Australian Olympic Committee finally conceded last night that the coaching drain needs to be stopped.

"We've known it has happened for a long time," AOC deputy chef de mission Kitty Chiller said.

"People have looked at what we did and the AIS did before Sydney and they have learnt from that and built on that. Maybe we have just stagnated a little bit. People recognise we're really good and are taking advantage of it. We need to jump ahead again."

Sources on the swim team said there was consternation behind the scenes about Cotterell and Bohl helping other nations because, unlike Wood, they were coaches on the ground with the Australian team in London.

But Wood pointed to the riches to be earned by coaching swimmers from China: "China pay four times what I get from my Australian swimmers. It would frighten you if I told you the amount."

Chiller said: "We can't deny them a livelihood. By allowing them to coach overseas athletes we are still getting the benefit from them.

"If we didn't allow it, we would lose them completely. With the swimming, some of those guys are still coaching within Australia, so they are actually our guys as well - swimming in the lane alongside them."

Aussies Shane Sutton and Tim Kerrison are crucial to the British cycling team. Sutton is the personal coach of Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins, who won gold in the individual time trial.

As head coach of British cycling he also helped guide Victoria Pendleton to victory as she smashed Australian world champion Anna Meares in the keirin final.

Nicola Spirig, the Swiss who won the triathlon gold medal, is coached by Brett Sutton, who was banned from coaching in Australia. Silver medallist Lisa Norden from Sweden is coached by Australian Darren Smith.

Rowing coach Paul Thompson was headhunted from Australia on a far superior contract a decade ago and his revolutionary approach ensured the British women made history at their home games as they won gold in the women's pair, double scull and lightweight double sculls.

Australia was at the other end of the scale at Eton Dorney, leaving without any gold medals after their men's four and women's double scull were both beaten into silver.

Another Aussie, Tim McLaren, was fundamental to preparing the US women's eight team and its gold-medal winning performance.

Former Olympic Swimmer takes a look the Australian effort in the pool.

Here

Australia has been delivering some good performances in London but have still not won an individual gold.

Here

Discussing the multiple theories for why Australia has not been performing so well at the Olympics.

Here

Reactions to Australia's rash of silver medals has highlighted the difference between winning a medal and losing a race.

Here

Gerard Whately in London examines the rest of the news from the Olympics

Here

Following up on my statment earlier about Australia losing all their coaches after Sydney, this interesting article appeared in The Daily Telegraph:

WHAT'S worse? Getting smashed up by the rest of the world at the Olympics or knowing that Australian coaches are helping them do it?

Foreign athletes trained by Aussies have won 14 gold medals so far in London - if they could form a nation in their own right they would be fourth on the medal table.

The Aquatic Centre is where Australia has been bruised. Ken Wood has done his bit to help Chinese wonder kid Ye Shiwen to gold medals, right over the top of defending medley champion Stephanie Rice.

Denis Cotterell is rumoured to have picked up more than $500,000 with Chinese swimmer Sun Yang's world-record win in the 1500m and 400m freestyle events, although he refuses to confirm it.

And Michael Bohl has guided South Korean Park Tae-Hwan to silver medals in the 200m and 400m freestyle.

Australian coaches are giving Australians black eyes all over London. When our triathlete Erin Densham was beaten in a sprint finish in the women's triathlon, the two competitors who consigned her to bronze were guided by Aussies.

In the cycling - both on the road and in the velodrome - Australia's lack of success has been felt even more acutely because the British are being guided by the cream of our cycling coaches.

And at the rowing at Eton Dorney Australian paw prints were all over the rejuvenation of British rowing.

The Australian Olympic Committee finally conceded last night that the coaching drain needs to be stopped.

"We've known it has happened for a long time," AOC deputy chef de mission Kitty Chiller said.

"People have looked at what we did and the AIS did before Sydney and they have learnt from that and built on that. Maybe we have just stagnated a little bit. People recognise we're really good and are taking advantage of it. We need to jump ahead again."

Sources on the swim team said there was consternation behind the scenes about Cotterell and Bohl helping other nations because, unlike Wood, they were coaches on the ground with the Australian team in London.

But Wood pointed to the riches to be earned by coaching swimmers from China: "China pay four times what I get from my Australian swimmers. It would frighten you if I told you the amount."

Chiller said: "We can't deny them a livelihood. By allowing them to coach overseas athletes we are still getting the benefit from them.

"If we didn't allow it, we would lose them completely. With the swimming, some of those guys are still coaching within Australia, so they are actually our guys as well - swimming in the lane alongside them."

Aussies Shane Sutton and Tim Kerrison are crucial to the British cycling team. Sutton is the personal coach of Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins, who won gold in the individual time trial.

As head coach of British cycling he also helped guide Victoria Pendleton to victory as she smashed Australian world champion Anna Meares in the keirin final.

Nicola Spirig, the Swiss who won the triathlon gold medal, is coached by Brett Sutton, who was banned from coaching in Australia. Silver medallist Lisa Norden from Sweden is coached by Australian Darren Smith.

Rowing coach Paul Thompson was headhunted from Australia on a far superior contract a decade ago and his revolutionary approach ensured the British women made history at their home games as they won gold in the women's pair, double scull and lightweight double sculls.

Australia was at the other end of the scale at Eton Dorney, leaving without any gold medals after their men's four and women's double scull were both beaten into silver.

Another Aussie, Tim McLaren, was fundamental to preparing the US women's eight team and its gold-medal winning performance.

And to top it all Ian Thorpedo has sold out to the BBC

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Kiwis 3 golds - Australia 2 goldscheesy.gif ,

Gatlin. Now please go away. Thanks.

Just loved the comments coming out of France...despite 200 years of losing to us they still cant accept it.

Yes, they are even inferring that the wheels used by the British cyclists may be illegal. Final irony is the Brits use Mavic wheels, a French company.

Now all I want to hear is that the Brits have been using Vegemite as a dietry supplement!!!

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Gatlin. Now please go away. Thanks.

Sorry, I can't stand hypocrites. If you're going to keep posting shit on this thread I'll keep posting the facts.

You can leave if you don't like it.

I don't have a problem with GB going so well, it was entirely predictable and good luck to them.

Australia's decline was equally predictable. The lack of funding and desertion of coaches for the big buck was there to be seen by anyone for years.

What I don't like is the nasty gloating by people like you!

Edited by Old Croc

Gentlemen please!

This is not the General Forum.

If it's Sports and Olympic related ... great.

But there is no Gold Medals being handed out in the insult throwing competition.

And no, I don't care who started it !

BTW ... I live on the Gold Coast ... whistling.gif

I intend to grow a pair of "wiggies" to celebrate team GBR's successes.

The massive populations and funding by China and USA compared to the 60 million pop of the UK.

Most of the Team Gb competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

That's what make GREAT Britain.

On another note

To members on here who have children of dual nationalities, which must be several thousand! How about we all push them more to take up Olympian sports( I'm not saying you do or don't push them enough allready). Then maybe in 8 or 12 years time we can see the benefits of a vastly improved and varied Thai Olympic team.

For the record i have 3 who are interested in cycling, Javelin and tennis,What are your serious thoughts on this matter please.....

The massive populations and funding by China and USA compared to the 60 million pop of the UK.

Most of the Team GB competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

On another note

To members on here who have children of dual nationalities, which must be several thousand! How about we all push them more to take up Olympian sports( I'm not saying you do or don't push them enough allready). Then maybe in 8 or 12 years time we can see the benefits of a vastly improved and varied Thai Olympic team.

For the record i have 3 who are interested in cycling, Javelin and tennis,What are your serious thoughts on this matter please.....

Are there any atheletics clubs in Thaiand and if so where?

Former Olympic Swimmer takes a look the Australian effort in the pool.

Here

Australia has been delivering some good performances in London but have still not won an individual gold.

Here

Discussing the multiple theories for why Australia has not been performing so well at the Olympics.

Here

Reactions to Australia's rash of silver medals has highlighted the difference between winning a medal and losing a race.

Here

Gerard Whately in London examines the rest of the news from the Olympics

Here

Thanks for posting that David. I missed this episode of the Offsiders, the first for a long time.

Gerard Whately is, in my opinion, the most intelligent and reasonable sporting commentator in Oz. His insights were spot on.

• Like 1

Most of the Team GB competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

On another note

I agree with you, I'm English and proud of our heritage, but I'm trying to bring up my Thai/English children to be good Thai

(that will make them a rarety)) and of course to take a active interest in all sports, My wife is glued to the TV watching the Olympics

Dreaming and planning for the children's participatient in a future olympics.

• Like 1

On another note

I agree with you, I'm English and proud of our heritage, but I'm trying to bring up my Thai/English children to be good Thai

(that will make them a rarety)) and of course to take a active interest in all sports, My wife is glued to the TV watching the Olympics

Dreaming and planning for the children's participatient in a future olympics.

We went shopping for a badminton set at my wifes insistence after she watched the thai badminton athelete in action against the Chinese, Great family fun!

Olympics day ten in pictures

Here and Here and Here

Something for everyone with those three above.

post-104736-0-14800600-1344379058_thumb.

Great Britain's showjumpers have won gold in the Olympic team competition after a dramatic finale at Greenwich Park today.

post-104736-0-36652300-1344379185_thumb.

No photo info. Comes from what apprears to be an Irish site with some great action photos Here

post-104736-0-21503900-1344379337_thumb.

Olympics Women's 100-meter hurdles (didn't state heat or final) Here

post-104736-0-97172200-1344379542_thumb.

Andy Murray celebrating his gold medal after finally winning a tournament at Wimbledon. Here

But do check out some of the links above as there are some inspiring images.