Frenchman Busted With 97 Fake Credit Cards At Pattaya ATM

webfact

Frenchman Busted With 97 Fake Credit Cards At Pattaya ATM

27.jpg

A Frenchman was arrested at a SCB Bank’s ATM machine on North Pattaya Road while attempting to withdraw cash using fake credit cards. Police seized 97 fake credit cards, mostly belonging to victims in France. The man also had a Google Earth map to locate ATM machines in Pattaya.

PATTAYA – July 7, 2012 [PDN]; At 11 a.m., Pol. Maj.Gen. Jamnong Rattanakul, Commissioner, Chonburi province; Pol. Col. Panthana Nuchanart; Pol. Lt. Col. Kierttisak Sathongoy, Deputy Superintendent; Pol. Lt. Col. Chitdecha Songhong, Inspector, along with the police team, reported arresting Mr. Anthony Marc Christophe Claude, 24, a Frenchman. The seized evidence included 97 fake electronic cards and a Google Earth map to locate ATM machines in Pattaya.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Jamnong said on the afternoon of July 6, Pattaya police were notified from an officer of SCB bank that a foreigner had tried to use a fake electronic card to withdraw money from the bank’s ATM machine at North Pattaya, Moo 5 Tambon Na Kleu, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province.

Police rushed to the scene and found Mr. Anthony standing at the ATM machine. The police restrained him and searched his handbag, finding a printout of the Google Earth map showing the locations of ATMs in Pattaya, as well as the 97 fake electronic cards.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...at-pattaya-atm/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2012-07-09

footer_n.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why did he need google maps? does he not have a pair of eyes just to walk around.

It clearly makes the whole scam a lot more high tech and romantic with google map init?

Still I wonder how this scam works as the PIN used to withdraw cash is unique to the Credit Card number and checked against a database for each transaction (at least that's how I see it).

I was watching a shitty movie this week called "The Rise & Fall of a White Collar Hooligan" which deals with this exact same scam (apparently from a True Story) and I was in the impression that these guys wer eable to collect PIN codes with fake Credit Card Point of Sales which they swaped from time to time at various location wher ethey have accomplice.

If there is a way to create a fake credit card with the PIN code alongside. I certainly would like to know how (from a pure technical curiosity standpoint obviously).

" Police seized 97 fake credit cards, mostly belonging to victims in France. "

So they are not fake then..

Stolen seems more like it.

Oh well, lost in translation.

Edit : If the 97 fake credit cards mostly belong to people in France, then who are the victims ? whistling.gif

Edited by peterdk
  • Like 1

Edit : If the 97 fake credit cards mostly belong to people in France, then who are the victims ? whistling.gif

While not an expert in such things, presumably the accounts have to belong to someone whether or not the cards are fake copies. The victims would seem to be the people whose credit card accounts were getting hit with illegitimate charges along with the banks that would have to make good on fradulent charges if the culprit hadn't been caught.

Are people in France not permitted to be victims?

I don't think the translation is the problem.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

The numbers are skimmed (real but stolen) then a card reader/writer is used to write the data onto a blank card with mag strip. The pins are also stolen. The card is fake card with a real but stolen number on the strip.

why did he need google maps? does he not have a pair of eyes just to walk around.

It clearly makes the whole scam a lot more high tech and romantic with google map init?

Still I wonder how this scam works as the PIN used to withdraw cash is unique to the Credit Card number and checked against a database for each transaction (at least that's how I see it).

I was watching a shitty movie this week called "The Rise & Fall of a White Collar Hooligan" which deals with this exact same scam (apparently from a True Story) and I was in the impression that these guys wer eable to collect PIN codes with fake Credit Card Point of Sales which they swaped from time to time at various location wher ethey have accomplice.

If there is a way to create a fake credit card with the PIN code alongside. I certainly would like to know how (from a pure technical curiosity standpoint obviously).

A long time ago, I read a story in the papers in Holland on this.

Appears that what they do is:

1. dig up a transmission (telephone) line that sends and receives information between the ATM and the Bank's Servers.

2. Install a box that stores all information going between the ATM and the servers.

3. After a month or so, dig up the box and use the information to create fake cards with the details and pin-codes that where intercepted by the box.

Another way:

1. install a small camera above the ATM keyboard and slot

2. install a reader on the ATM card-slot

3. film people's card and their pin-code, as well as storing the card-information with the reader

4. remove the camera and the reader

5. create fake cards with that information.

So if either such thing was the case, then the article was right to say fake credit cards with victims in France as their originals where copied and their funds taken out.

And no, I'm no expert doing this kind of things nor do I intend to ever do anything that's not within the laws.

Cheers

While not an expert in such things, presumably the accounts have to belong to someone whether or not the cards are fake copies. The victims would seem to be the people whose credit card accounts were getting hit with illegitimate charges along with the banks that would have to make good on fradulent charges if the culprit hadn't been caught.

Are people in France not permitted to be victims?

I don't think the translation is the problem.

I agree, the problem is you fail to understand the humor intended.

The numbers are skimmed (real but stolen) then a card reader/writer is used to write the data onto a blank card with mag strip. The pins are also stolen. The card is fake card with a real but stolen number on the strip.

I realize that, but try to look at the reported story through happy glasses.

Then there is humor in the reported story to be found.

As it is in many cases where translation is an issue.

Sorry but my life doesn't revolve around making humor at poor translations, poor grammar, and mis-spelling.

If that get's your rocks off.. have at it...

I was just trying to clarify the story for those that actually are trying to understand the story and not just poke fun at it for being poorly written.

Definitely "happy glasses" and imagined translation issues seem to be the root cause for much tortured hilarity.

Edited by Suradit69

The fact he isn't a Brit makes a refreshing change.

blink.png

Most of these scum bags that are associated with dodgey ATM card dealings in Pattaya, seem to come from France. I was expecting him to have a North African name.

tongue.png

You're not prejudiced, then?

• Like 1

Why do all these knucklehead farangs have to have shaved or bald heads? You're giving us other bald bastards a bad name and i ain't gonna wear no rag either...

+1. My husband has been all but bald since his early 30's and fortunately decided the full shave was a better alternative to the Arthur Scargill Comb-over. He's the most laid back, non-aggressive person most people say they have ever met, but he still gets strange looks and the side-eye sometimes from people.

Bald doesn't equal bad. God only made so many perfect heads, the rest he disguised with hair..........

• Like 1