Lost Passport, New One Has Arrived

I lost my passport in BKK but fortunately, after a nerve-racking wait, the new one has been delivered.

I have photocopies of tourist visa pages in my old passport, but this month I wish to obtain a one year student visa.

Do I need to go to the Immigration Office at Lak Si to get the tourist stamps replaced into my new passport before applying for student visa? Or since I am upgrading my tourist visa to a one year one, can I just go ahead and get the one year visa into my blank new passport?

I am a little worried about going to an airport one day with a student visa but no entry stamps...

Thanks! :)

Andrea

You will require both passports on any visit to immigration to obtain a visa conversion or extension of stay and stamps will be transferred then to show new passport as replacement for old. If you exit country to obtain the student visa it would be done at exit point as you seem to be on a tourist visa now rather than an extension of stay.

Thanks for the quick responses.

For what it's worth I did extend my 60 day tourist visa by 30 days at immigration. Not sure if that changes anything.

Yes, I have photocopies, police report and letter from immigration. I understand I would require these 3 things if I wish to transfer the old tourist stamps to the new passport. But specifically, do I need to do this if I can just apply for a student visa through the school outright?

If possible dependent upon the School you apply for a change of visa status from a tourist to a non immigrant visa (2000 baht). Then apply for an extension (1900 baht) using the same paperwork from the school that you used to get the conversion.

AFAIK immigration normally do not do conversions for education extensions. So that means you would have to travel to a nearby consulate to get an ED visa and the return to then country and apply for an extension immigration.

Edited by ubonjoe