Keeping Bank Account After Moving Away

I was in Thailand for 2 years on an education visa. I opened a bank account in Bangkok bank that I used while there. Now I've been living in Europe for around a year. I still have access to my online bank, and there's a little money in there. I also have the passbook. What I don't have though is the thai cell phone number that was used on the account, and I don't live or have access to the address that's associated with the account. I would like to put 400k bath in there as that's what needed if I want to get a visa some day. They have to be there for at least two months so it would be a nice option to have waiting. Do you think it would be safe to use the account, or can you see a scenario where I can't get access to the money because I no longer have the visa or whatever?

Do you still have access through internet banking? Most Thai banks freeze your account after there has been 12 months inactivity.

Yes I still have access to the internet bank and I can see how much is in the account etc. No sign that anything have changed. Maybe I should transfer just a small amount to the account to begin with to have some activity then so they don't freeze it?

I don't use Bangkok Bank's internet banking, and I was away for nearly three years, with ~4000 baht in the account. They never touched a single baht, it was all there waiting for me when I returned. I have had the account for over 12 years, and never had a single problem with them. When I go to a branch with my bank book, most times they comment on what a good long-term customer I am.

If in any doubt, call them, and ask the question directly. They won't bite..

Do you still have access through internet banking? Most Thai banks freeze your account after there has been 12 months inactivity.

Yes I still have access to the internet bank and I can see how much is in the account etc. No sign that anything have changed. Maybe I should transfer just a small amount to the account to begin with to have some activity then so they don't freeze it?

The banks only freeze your account and/or start charging "inactivity fees" if there is no activity on the account and the balance is under a certain amount. This can vary from bank to bank, but in general the required balance is around 2,000 baht.

Sophon

Just in case anyone is wondering about the same question I got my friends wife to go down to bangkok bank today with my account number and ask them. The account was still active and they said that it cost 200 bath a year to have the account and as long as there is enough money in the bank to pay that fee they will not close it.

You may struggle to do the transfer if you want to do a transfer to anyone other than yourself, particularly if the beneficiary is not already set up. These days most internet banking accounts require a second level of authorisation (2LA) to set up a new beneficiary or payee, and some require for any 3rd party payee regardless of if new. In Thailand it is common to use a mobile phone to send a pass code or auhorisation code for the 2LA when making a transfer. The code will be either sent to your old mobile number if registered and not updated, or if no phone registered, you won't be able to proceed. So... you should have no problem accessing your money while in Thailand, with the sort of amounts you're talking about. You may have difficulties from outside Thailand or setting up internet payments.

Worth trying a transfer, and then trying to set it all up, as sod's law you'll want some money at some point and have difficulties accessing it from abroad smile.png

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

You may struggle to do the transfer if you want to do a transfer to anyone other than yourself, particularly if the beneficiary is not already set up. These days most internet banking accounts require a second level of authorisation (2LA) to set up a new beneficiary or payee, and some require for any 3rd party payee regardless of if new. In Thailand it is common to use a mobile phone to send a pass code or auhorisation code for the 2LA when making a transfer. The code will be either sent to your old mobile number if registered and not updated, or if no phone registered, you won't be able to proceed. So... you should have no problem accessing your money while in Thailand, with the sort of amounts you're talking about. You may have difficulties from outside Thailand or setting up internet payments.

Worth trying a transfer, and then trying to set it all up, as sod's law you'll want some money at some point and have difficulties accessing it from abroad smile.png

smile.png

Yes thanks for pointing it out. I'm aware of that. I will not be able to get the money out while not in thailand as i need my old phone number for that. I have tried that before. So I will only put the 400k bath in and just let them stay there for visa purposals :-)

Yes thanks for pointing it out. I'm aware of that. I will not be able to get the money out while not in thailand as i need my old phone number for that. I have tried that before. So I will only put the 400k bath in and just let them stay there for visa purposals :-)

You mentioned 400k for 2 months? (Previous post) May I ask why? If its for retirement then it needs to be 800k. If its for marriage then there is no time stipulation for 400k.

Edited by Phatcharanan

You mentioned 400k for 2 months? (Previous post) May I ask why? If its for retirement then it needs to be 800k. If its for marriage then there is no time stipulation for 400k.

It's for visa based on marriage. Doesn't one need to show either monthly income or 400k thb in thai account? I have income but I think it's easier to just show the money in the account.

The banks only freeze your account and/or start charging "inactivity fees" if there is no activity on the account and the balance is under a certain amount. This can vary from bank to bank, but in general the required balance is around 2,000 baht.

Sophon

My experience with Krung Thai is that even with extended periods of activity, nothing happens except an annual (I assume) management fee of currently 200 baht. I just check that I have enough money to cover the fee and each year try to remember to top up say 1000 baht or so. So no need to worry.

Edited by yoshiwara

That is not correct. If applying for a marriage extension based on bank deposit, the money has to have been in the account for a minimum of two months.

Of course, if the OP is really talking about applying for a visa and not an extension, then there are no seasoning requirements (but nor are there for a visa based on retirement), but he could also just apply for the visa at a consulate that doesn't require bank balance (presently Savannakhet).

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Just in case anyone is wondering about the same question I got my friends wife to go down to bangkok bank today with my account number and ask them. The account was still active and they said that it cost 200 bath a year to have the account and as long as there is enough money in the bank to pay that fee they will not close it.

Same with Siam Commercial Bank....200 baht a year.

If you have two Bangkok Bank (or whatever bank) accounts, you can swish funds back and forth every 3-4 months to maintain account activity without incurring any kind of transfer fees (presuming the accounts are both in the same province).

:)