3 Months In The Deep South. Location Suggestions?

btowny

Hey guys,

I have been granted a 90 visa and will be arriving in Hat Yai by train from Kuala Lumpur on wednesday. I will be studying my degree online while i'm in thailand so ideally looking for location suggestions close to the beach, good internet connection (how I understand the coverage is pretty good) and has reasonable prices (accommodation, food, nightlife, etc.) plus i am wanting to train Muay Thai while I am there as well.

I have 110,000 baht budget, so looking to spend about 10,000 a month on accommodation.

Thanks

Songkhla. I mean the city itself, not the province (which also includes Hat Yai).

But I can't help with Muay Thai recommendations. Sorry.

Songkhla (the city) is one of the best parts of Thailand. You'll love it.

And Hat Yai has the best shopping in the south of Thailand. It's better for shopping than Phuket.

As long as you're not interested in prostitute bars, the south is way better than BKK and Isaan and the North.

A budget of 10,000 Baht per month will be fine.

Songkhla will be the best, relaxing place and it's near to Hatyai.. Best of all, it's cheaper than in Hatyai... But with your budget.. Why need to worry?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

We have all those things where I live here in Rawai, Phuket and surrounding areas. Proper beaches, lots of Muay Thai, and houses to rent for 9-12k baht. You'll have to rent a bike to get around though, as Phuket doesn't have reasonably priced public transport like every other populated are in Thailand. About 3000B a month to rent a bike. You can consider buying a bike when you arrive then selling it when you leave. It would be a lot cheaper.

The difference here vs the other places mentioned is that Phuket has a large expat community in addition to the tourists so we have lots of comforts of home, if that is important to you. (Not sure where your from.) Since you are only coming for 90 days, I recommend for internet you get 3G (1.5Mpbs) dongle for 800B a month with a 3GB data limit. After that it's 384kbps. Not sure you will get 3G speeds in the other areas mentioned. 110k/mo is plenty.

Pattani or Yala are nearby. smile.png

What's your point?

He was trying to be funny.

No, I think he is trying to get a high post count so that others might listen to what he says and not think him a total idiot.

I don't like the South at all. Stay away is my advice - go somewhere on the eastern coast South of Hua Hin.

Edited by Johnniey

I often go to Naratiwat. I don't recommend it. Hat Yai or Songkhla would be my only recommendations in the deep south.

To be honest, though, I would recommend the Phuket area over either of those. I am not a huge Phuket fan, but for three months, I think I would rather stay in that area than in Hat Yai. Is there a particular reason you want to stay in the deep south?

I don't like the South at all.

Why?

Im comparing to other parts of the country.

Generally nicer, more relaxed people elsewhere.

The rest of Thailand call the Southerners " black hearts".

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

This is wrong. Who do you deem nicer than southerners and why? This is a really lopsided opinion and it is beyond any reason.

I would recommend Krabi. There are a couple of small villages on the outskirts that are only a 5 minute motorcycle ride from Ao Nang.

Krabi is also good if you are studying because it's a lot chiller than the islands (i.e. very few pirate pants wearing smelly farang, and fat old pervs).

I don't like the South at all.

Why?

Im comparing to other parts of the country.

Generally nicer, more relaxed people elsewhere.

The rest of Thailand call the Southerners " black hearts".

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

yes the Southerners are a bit the Germans of Thailand. More educated, more direct, not so easy to buy, not making themself to idiots for free beer.

Black Hearts usually refers to Nakhon Sri Thammarat, and that is due to the Communists were based there fo the most part. I'm biased but I like it in the South.

Well there were more Commies in Isaan.....

No, I think he is trying to get a high post count so that others might listen to what he says and not think him a total idiot.

Correct. And by replying, you just upped your post count by 1.

dam_n - I'm rather proud of my 1 post a week compared to your 20. Well at least you have a chance to reply.

I often go to Naratiwat. I don't recommend it. Hat Yai or Songkhla would be my only recommendations in the deep south.

To be honest, though, I would recommend the Phuket area over either of those. I am not a huge Phuket fan, but for three months, I think I would rather stay in that area than in Hat Yai. Is there a particular reason you want to stay in the deep south?

No real reason, my train gets into Hat Yai tomorrow morning. I have just got back from Phuket (patong) and I also spent a week in Phi Phi and in these places i found I spent alot of cash more so in patong.

Ideally I want a location not to far from the south but I'm happy to travel if its worth it. Have been looking abit at krabi but i'm fearful of it being expensive and having to come home early.

No real reason, my train gets into Hat Yai tomorrow morning. I have just got back from Phuket (patong) and I also spent a week in Phi Phi and in these places i found I spent alot of cash more so in patong.

Ideally I want a location not to far from the south but I'm happy to travel if its worth it. Have been looking abit at krabi but i'm fearful of it being expensive and having to come home early.

I would recommend Krabi too.. It's a really nice city, you're not far from the Islands if you want a holiday, and the city itself and surrounding villages/towns are actually very cheap.. Of course the Islands aren't! But they can be your holidays when you have extra cash at the end of the month =)

Black Hearts usually refers to Nakhon Sri Thammarat, and that is due to the Communists were based there fo the most part. I'm biased but I like it in the South.

And yes, they normally are terrified of Nakhon ST people, but having spent a lot of time there I love it. I can see why people are scared of them.. but as long as you stay on the right side you're fine ;). There's a saying some Thai people have about people from Nakhon S. T... 'If there's a King Cobra and a Nakhon Sri Thammarat boy in your house at the same time, kill the Nakhon boy first' .. Think that says it all about people's feelings about them!

I would recommend Krabi too.. It's a really nice city, you're not far from the Islands if you want a holiday, and the city itself and surrounding villages/towns are actually very cheap.. Of course the Islands aren't! But they can be your holidays when you have extra cash at the end of the month =)

And yes, they normally are terrified of Nakhon ST people, but having spent a lot of time there I love it. I can see why people are scared of them.. but as long as you stay on the right side you're fine wink.png. There's a saying some Thai people have about people from Nakhon S. T... 'If there's a King Cobra and a Nakhon Sri Thammarat boy in your house at the same time, kill the Nakhon boy first' .. Think that says it all about people's feelings about them!

My wife is NST stock, and I love it when we visit. Great sense of humour, and they take great care of me.

Why the hell would you go down south.I mean what worries me is that you seem to have no knowledge about whats happening down south either..Is it not good to find out about the place your going before u get there? Get yourself over to krabi dont go any further south than hat yai.beggers belief it really does.