Correct Their English

Johnniey

Do you think I'd want to be living in a country for 2 decades and not be able to communicate in amy situation I find myself in?

+1

Who's Amy ? whistling.gif

transam , you're not correcting the OP's English are you?

More then a touch of irony there ... giggle.gif

Never would. laugh.png .
  • Like 1

How's your Thai? rolleyes.gif

Well, as I said, when I got married my wife couldn't speak a word of English - so take a guess.

I started studying Thai 20 years ago, and as I said, I asked native speakers to correct me - so take a guess.

Do you think I'd want to be living in a country for 2 decades and not be able to communicate in amy situation I find myself in?

Why not spend your time to teach the Scottish, Welsh, Irish or people from some parts of London, to speak so that everybody would understand them? smile.png

Semper, so narrow minded (tongue.png) ... really ... we Aussies could also do with a touch up.

You're somewhat understandable. smile.png

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1

Well, as I said, when I got married my wife couldn't speak a word of English - so take a guess.

I started studying Thai 20 years ago, and as I said, I asked native speakers to correct me - so take a guess.

Why not spend your time to teach the Scottish, Welsh, Irish or people from some parts of London, to speak so that everybody would understand them? smile.png

Semper, so narrow minded (tongue.png) ... really ... we Aussies could also do with a touch up. [sC: My Bold]

Steady on there, son. We'll have none of that smut here, if you don't mind

SC

It would be aceptable to me in the very beginning. I don't know if you are married but if after years of marriage and travelling abroad would you accept your wife speaking to your friends and relatives like that? Would you want to go out with old friends and talk all night without having to think about your wife's English difficulties?

If you have kids, would you accept their mother saying, "I go market" or would you like her to help them with their English.

If you're planning a long-term relationship and family, it would be foolish I think not correct the mistakes.

I think I understand why some don't but would like to confirm. There are times when I didn't, and still don't through laziness.

Funnily, as I have corrected my kids' English, my wife has also learnt on many occassions.

I see your point.

With family, yes help them learn English as such. But I wouldn't correct them in public. Or do it in a stubble way... such as acknowledging my understanding by repeating with missing nouns or such, but not saying "No darling, in English we say like this ...".

In the privacy of the house, it is a different story, and me and friends do correct each other at times (or when asked to confirm) and yes it does help improve the language, but certainly not every single sentence or we would never finish a conversation dry.png

Not married and I'm imagining that by natural conversation I will improve mine and their language learning experience...

English is not my first language and when I learned it I didn't want the people close to me to always correct me, it's like school 24/7. There's a time to learn and a time to just relax, enjoy and not wanting to worry if you not using all the words needed to form a sentence.

Just my thoughts...

It would be aceptable to me in the very beginning. I don't know if you are married but if after years of marriage and travelling abroad would you accept your wife speaking to your friends and relatives like that? Would you want to go out with old friends and talk all night without having to think about your wife's English difficulties?

If you have kids, would you accept their mother saying, "I go market" or would you like her to help them with their English.

If you're planning a long-term relationship and family, it would be foolish I think not correct the mistakes.

I think I understand why some don't but would like to confirm. There are times when I didn't, and still don't through laziness.

Funnily, as I have corrected my kids' English, my wife has also learnt on many occassions.

I see your point.

With family, yes help them learn English as such. But I wouldn't correct them in public. Or do it in a stubble way... such as acknowledging my understanding by repeating with missing nouns or such, but not saying "No darling, in English we say like this ...".

In the privacy of the house, it is a different story, and me and friends do correct each other at times (or when asked to confirm) and yes it does help improve the language, but certainly not every single sentence or we would never finish a conversation dry.png

Not married and I'm imagining that by natural conversation I will improve mine and their language learning experience...

English is not my first language and when I learned it I didn't want the people close to me to always correct me, it's like school 24/7. There's a time to learn and a time to just relax, enjoy and not wanting to worry if you not using all the words needed to form a sentence.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do it on a subtle way - F*** that. Just because I live in Thailand doesn't mean I have to accept the 'face' thing. I want to be a man of integrity and to bring my children up in the way I feel correct. They WON"T learn if I adopt that attitude.

What we allow, we condone.

If someone makes a repeated mistake and I said nothing, I'd feel that I was doing them(and I) an injustice.

I agree with you about not correcting every single sentence.

I strongly believe in getting rid of those stupid phrases that are neither Thai nor English. "Same same" for example - if I hear that ANYWHERE I immediately say, "excuse me but the English is only one same.

Another one not so long ago was when out with a friend and his long-time girlfriend - He actually said "boom boom" when talking about having sex.

you do understand that same same and boomboom are mostly used in a comical way amongs expat? Even if some guys with bargirls are forced to use it for the rest of their lives due to the lack of english knowledge, most normal people still use it for fun.

Now, now.. hold on there. We don't want them all speaking, do we really? They'll just be complaining all the time. :rolleyes:

Do it on a subtle way - F*** that. Just because I live in Thailand doesn't mean I have to accept the 'face' thing. I want to be a man of integrity and to bring my children up in the way I feel correct. They WON"T learn if I adopt that attitude.

If someone makes a repeated mistake and I said nothing, I'd feel that I was doing them(and I) an injustice.

I strongly believe in getting rid of those stupid phrases that are neither Thai nor English. "Same same" for example - if I hear that ANYWHERE I immediately say, "excuse me but the English is only one same.

Another one not so long ago was when out with a friend and his long-time girlfriend - He actually said "boom boom" when talking about having sex.

Nothing makes a poster look more foolish ...

Seems you didn't take your own advice, proof read and corrected your thoughts before posting.

There are 3 mistakes alone in your second paragraph ... and I'm not even an English Teacher!

Live and let live I say ... embrace the imperfections that surround us ... tongue.png

Nothing makes a poster look more foolish ...

Seems you didn't take your own advice, proof read and corrected your thoughts before posting.

There are 3 mistakes alone in your second paragraph ... and I'm not even an English Teacher!

Live and let live I say ... embrace the imperfections that surround us ... tongue.png

What advice was that?

I'm not an English teacher and don't really give a toss about typos and spelling mistakes on this forum.

Learn to read you plonker and notice that I was replying to someone who was criticizing my written English, whilst making mistakes himself.

I know we are not meant to comment on peoples English however, seeing as though the OP was commenting on the correct use of the language,maybe he needs a few more lessons in written English?

Nothing makes a poster look more foolish than the above.

Have you ever heard of an apostrophe and a space after a comma?

Same but different ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I have a mate here who after 8 yrs marriage stills speaks to his missus in pidgin english and it is painful to hear. Neither of them have a clue what is going on, and aside from functional conversation (Go me money quick quick savvy) there is no conversation. He doesn't correct her and she does not correct his Thai which is just as bad. My GF's English is very good indeed, but I correct her if she gets it wrong. She tried patiently telling me how to pronounce the name of my moobahn but I gave up. Impossible. Until a Taxi Driver told me the short name for it and bingo, I corrected her Thai later that night as well :)

• Like 1